Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-26-2017, 10:00 PM   #41
calgaryblood
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
^^^^^^

As much as those that lament the loss of Paul Byron may have had a bit of revisionist history going, it seems that those that were quick to dismiss him and comment that he wasn't anything here are guilty of the same to a degree.

I think he was unfairly dismissed by a lot of fans (especially casual fans) who only remembered him as that guy that never scored on breakaways. The key being that the average player doesn't even create enough breakaways in a season to make fans frustrated over missing them.

They were bonuses on top of what he already was, which was a super speedy, tenacious forward who was dynamite on the PK and getting better every year. He was trending up and provided a critical element to our bottom six and was let go in favor of guys that should have been in the minors.
Yep, honestly I knew Byron was an NHLer from day one. I've rarely ever seen a guy his size be so tough and strong along the boards and actually hit like he was 6'4.

I knew we'd regret it and without a doubt he'd make our team better right now. He is a great player to have and I wish he'd be on our third line ahead of guys like Versteeg and Brouwer.

It was funny reading comments he couldn't score on breakaways...well no one else would get the breakaways anyways so what difference does it make? He brought momentum even if he didn't score.

Montreal got very lucky getting a player with such character and heart for free. Good luck Byron, you weren't a Flame for long but I will always remember you for never taking a shift off no matter how bad the team was playing.
calgaryblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 10:27 PM   #42
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by agulati View Post
I can definitely see Granlund being protected by Vancouver. Byron, I am not so sure if Canadiens see him in their top 7 to protect.
Byron is a heart n soul guy who is signed uber cheap for the next two years, did I mention he has 20 goals which is second on the team?

Plekanec, Shaw and Mitchell would be exposed long before Byron.
Snuffleupagus is offline   Reply With Quote