Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-03-2016, 01:23 AM   #21
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

I wonder if this salary cap spike won't end up being a game changer in North American sports. Why play a sport like football, where you get physically destroyed and only the very top, elite, 1-5% of players in the league make over $10 million, when you can be a mediocre NBA rotation player and make $10 million a year? It's just staggering some of these contracts.
Old 07-03-2016, 02:55 AM   #22
CofR
Olympic Guru

Exp:

That's a great point, there's no way that NFL players aren't noticing these contracts and realizing that bench players are getting more guaranteed money than them
CofR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 06:47 AM   #23
Da_Chief
Franchise Player

Exp:

With football your odds are better. 53 man roster vs 15 man roster, only so many pies to go around.
Da_Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 08:49 AM   #24
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

The NBA needs to rejig it's salary structure. If the money is that fluid than a guy like LeBron should be raking in 50 a year and the bench guys can still get by on 1.5. To me it makes little sense to keep the guys who drive the league limited so others can be overpaid.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sylvanfan For This Useful Post:
Old 07-03-2016, 10:40 AM   #25
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Tyler Johnson, the hockey player, is a very good player. He might earn $50 million for his entire career. Tyler Johnson, the basketball player, is pretty much bang average. He just signed a 4 year, $50 million offer sheet with the Nets. These contracts are totally ####ed in the head, and you're right Sylvan that if player salaries weren't capped it would probably mean avoiding these contracts. He'll now make more than ####ing Kyle Lowry. Lowry is obviously getting at least 4yrs/$120 million when he opts out enxt year.

Last edited by Senator Clay Davis; 07-03-2016 at 10:42 AM.
Senator Clay Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 04:59 PM   #26
Drake
Franchise Player

Exp:

Rajon Rondo has signed a two-year, $28 million deal with the Bulls.

Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 09:01 PM   #27
corporatejay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylvanfan View Post
The NBA needs to rejig it's salary structure. If the money is that fluid than a guy like LeBron should be raking in 50 a year and the bench guys can still get by on 1.5. To me it makes little sense to keep the guys who drive the league limited so others can be overpaid.
I totally agree. I mean, I get it. There are only about 400 guys in the world who can play in the NBA, and double that in the NHL and maybe 5 times that in the NFL.

The money is there, and I'd rather see guys like DeRozan and James get it over MLSE and Dan Gilbert.

The reality is Lebron and Durant, who play 90% of their teams minutes and account for half their scoring (assists and points) should be making half the payroll, 50-70 million. No one is showing up to see Tyler Johnson.
Old 07-03-2016, 09:03 PM   #28
corporatejay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake View Post
Rajon Rondo has signed a two-year, $28 million deal with the Bulls.

Does this seem low to anyone else given the ridiculous salaries given out over the last few days?
Old 07-03-2016, 10:03 PM   #29
Johnny199r
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
I wonder if this salary cap spike won't end up being a game changer in North American sports. Why play a sport like football, where you get physically destroyed and only the very top, elite, 1-5% of players in the league make over $10 million, when you can be a mediocre NBA rotation player and make $10 million a year? It's just staggering some of these contracts.
Game changer? Football players need fully guaranteed contracts before they even worry about the money.
Johnny199r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 09:44 AM   #30
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

so Durant does a LeBron and goes to the Warriors. Wow.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 09:50 AM   #31
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

Bill Simmons ‏@BillSimmons 7m7 minutes ago
Fans of the other 29 teams that aren't Golden State - let's have a scared group hug.
habernac is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to habernac For This Useful Post:
Old 07-04-2016, 09:50 AM   #32
Da_Chief
Franchise Player

Exp:

Love it. Rather see him go to Warriors then Heat/Celts/Spurs. Sucks for Thunder, if not them then Raps/Warriors is preferred.

Curry-Thompson-Green-Durant-Bogut

Good luck NBA. That's almost an all-star starting rotation.
Da_Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 09:59 AM   #33
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

well Bogut is gone now, it was pretty much a foregone conclusion that they'd trade him if they got Durant. Bogut has already deleted all Warriors pictures from his twitter page. He's gone.

But Curry, Thompson, Green and Durant ... oh boy. Plus Iguodala. Crazy stuff.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 10:29 AM   #34
howard_the_duck
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Disgusting mentality in the NBA. Where is the competitive jam from these players? You just lost in 7 to the Warriors, in a series you had a strangle hold, and instead of focusing all of your energy on going back to beat them next season with the team that drafted you, you leave to go play with them when the first opportunity presents itself?

Disgusting. There are only 2 teams that can legitimately win an NBA title now.

Today's NBA is broken
howard_the_duck is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to howard_the_duck For This Useful Post:
Old 07-04-2016, 10:35 AM   #35
IceMan
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da_Chief View Post
Love it. Rather see him go to Warriors then Heat/Celts/Spurs. Sucks for Thunder, if not them then Raps/Warriors is preferred.

Curry-Thompson-Green-Durant-Bogut

Good luck NBA. That's almost an all-star starting rotation.
That's the thing, is Adam Silver really happy about this? It's not like when Lebron left Cleveland as that team was bad. OKC were 1 win away from the Finals and very well could be NBA Champs right now. KD is leaving a great team to join an already great team.

I don't know, the NBA today is just so predictable. I guess we can fast forward to the Finals where we all get Cavs/Warriors for the 3rd straight year. I know this years Finals were the most watched in 18 years but it would sure be nice to see some new teams and players for once instead of Lebron vs Spurs/Warriors.

So what are we thinking... 74-8? 75-7? GS was already great so not sure Durant makes them that much better as there's only 1 ball to go around for all these shooters.
IceMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 10:39 AM   #36
Trojan97
First Line Centre

Exp:

While I'm disappointed that the NBA has gone the way of the "big 3" (and now "big 4"), I don't hold this against Durant. He doesn't owe OKC anything. Not from the area and wasn't even drafted to the team while they were located in that city. NBA titles are faaaaar from a sure thing regardless of how good a team is.

Also, this is hilarious....
Trojan97 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Trojan97 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-04-2016, 11:09 AM   #37
Jason14h
Franchise Player

Exp:

When Stars don't get paid accordingly you end up with super teams . NBA did this to themselves
Jason14h is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jason14h For This Useful Post:
Old 07-04-2016, 11:14 AM   #38
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan97 View Post
While I'm disappointed that the NBA has gone the way of the "big 3" (and now "big 4"), I don't hold this against Durant. He doesn't owe OKC anything. Not from the area and wasn't even drafted to the team while they were located in that city. NBA titles are faaaaar from a sure thing regardless of how good a team is.

Also, this is hilarious....
Meh. That was before the GM of the Thunder broke up a team that was on a direct path to a championship.

Things change, and he legitimately saw a career without a ring. He's taking less than he could of because he wants to win. When did the complaints change from being about players chasing the money to players chasing a championship?
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 11:19 AM   #39
octothorp
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just glad he didn't go to Boston.
octothorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 11:20 AM   #40
howard_the_duck
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
Meh. That was before the GM of the Thunder broke up a team that was on a direct path to a championship.

Things change, and he legitimately saw a career without a ring. He's taking less than he could of because he wants to win. When did the complaints change from being about players chasing the money to players chasing a championship?
It's not as if he's a player at the end of the road. He's 27. This is a business move to give him an opportunity to win multiple championships, so he's elevated into the "best of all time" kind of conversation.

If he's 35 and bolting, no one would be complaining. But leaving when by all accounts his own team was capable of beating GSW next season, I have a problem with that. This is the easy move to get titles...I would have respected almost any other team far more than this decision.
howard_the_duck is offline   Reply With Quote