Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-12-2016, 09:00 PM   #41
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Article on the club in the Herald today discussing the 2016 season. 6 returning players announced in this article, plus Wheeldon mentioned the club will be younger. Truly a place for local players to develop at the next level, as opposed to other "local clubs" in Canada where local talent is nowhere to be found.

http://calgaryherald.com/sports/socc...ocus-on-future

shermanator is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to shermanator For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2016, 09:47 PM   #42
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Season tickets are now available. $75 for adults, $50 for kids or seniors.

http://www.foothillsfc.ca/Default.asp?id=tickets&l=1

Also, there is a friendly against FC Edmonton's reserve team on May 7. I believe the friendly is for season ticket holders only.

Old 04-26-2016, 09:51 AM   #43
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shermanator View Post
I should mention that buses from the Ship and Anchor to Glenmore are arranged for the home opener on Friday May 27. I believe it's arranged for the May 29 game as well but not 100% sure on that.

Let's pack the bus.

I've rounded a few guys up for this. Do we need to pre-buy tickets or anything, or just show up?
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 07:46 PM   #44
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Honestly, I'm not sure. I'm seeing Foothills folks on Sunday so I'll ask.

The Following User Says Thank You to shermanator For This Useful Post:
Old 05-01-2016, 01:48 PM   #45
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

I met with Foothills today and here's what I found out about their "Show Up Ship Out" deal for games. $15 gets you a ticket to a Foothills game, a pint of Barnacle (think that's the Ship's house beer) and a bus ride to and from the game. So far they are doing this May 27 and June 26, and my understanding is that they will book buses as demand comes up. If we can get at least a bus full of supporters I think the supporters culture may get noticed here in Calgary.

The Facebook invite is here. https://www.facebook.com/events/1022131094548309/

A beer gardens is confirmed at Glenmore. Also, the Perogy Boyz food truck will be at the games, and there is another food truck (forgot the name unfortunately) that will be there in the one game Perogy Boyz cannot make it. There is also a production company that is planning on working with the club on game day videos / interviews, including potential drone footage of games, although that is very experimental.

In preseason news, Foothills has played games against FC Edmonton academy (NASL), WSA Winnipeg (PDL) , Thunder Bay Chill (PDL) and a Winnipeg selects team and won all 4 by a combined score of 23-0.

Last edited by shermanator; 05-01-2016 at 01:53 PM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to shermanator For This Useful Post:
Old 05-02-2016, 12:06 AM   #46
Nuje
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
I met with Foothills today and here's what I found out about their "Show Up Ship Out" deal for games. $15 gets you a ticket to a Foothills game, a pint of Barnacle (think that's the Ship's house beer) and a bus ride to and from the game. So far they are doing this May 27 and June 26, and my understanding is that they will book buses as demand comes up. If we can get at least a bus full of supporters I think the supporters culture may get noticed here in Calgary.

A beer gardens is confirmed at Glenmore. Also, the Perogy Boyz food truck will be at the games, and there is another food truck (forgot the name unfortunately) that will be there in the one game Perogy Boyz cannot make it. There is also a production company that is planning on working with the club on game day videos / interviews, including potential drone footage of games, although that is very experimental.

In preseason news, Foothills has played games against FC Edmonton academy (NASL), WSA Winnipeg (PDL) , Thunder Bay Chill (PDL) and a Winnipeg selects team and won all 4 by a combined score of 23-0.
Thanks for the updates Sherm! I'm still disappointed that I can't make the home opener, but I'll be there for the rest of the games. Beer gardens, food to shove down our gobs every game (instead of counting on those guys bringing the BBQ like last year), this is already sounding good! Also, it caught the attention of some people that apparently the season tickets are the same price as last year for the whole season, but there's an extra game in there. I can't wait until the 29th!
Old 05-05-2016, 09:55 AM   #47
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

If anyone is going to the friendly against FC Edmonton on Saturday, the Foot Soldiers will be collecting money to donate to the AB Red Cross for victims of the Fort McMurray fires.

Old 05-07-2016, 09:20 PM   #48
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Ugh. So many stupid penalties. Take a bad crosscheck with 4:30 left, then Manning absolutely blasts a Mammoth player long after the play ended. We should have been down two men, but the referees evened it up by inventing a penalty against the Colorado player.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 09:30 PM   #49
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Curtis Dickson is such an amazing player. 5 goals, including the tying goal with 20 seconds left. Going to overtime!
Old 05-07-2016, 09:36 PM   #50
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

pssst, res hop on over to the Roughnecks thread with the rest of us.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 10:33 AM   #51
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

I was wondering why those posts "disappeared"!
Old 05-09-2016, 11:33 AM   #52
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Here are highlights from Saturday's game.

1-1 draw with Edmonton in front of 500ish? As the club was collecting donations for the AB Red Cross at the gate I figured we'd leave it to the club and give our personal donations to that collection.

As for the game it was relatively even on the pitch. The goal for FC Edmonton looked pretty offside from where we were, and the highlights support that. Foothills had 2 goals called back, one for offsides, and one for a foul.

Even though there is a running track we thought the viewpoint from the stands was good, especially considering Hellard had football lines. I have no idea how they played on that pitch as the grass was very long in some spots. Even though it took a while for the beer gardens to be set up, the beer was on tap rather than in bottles which made it delicious.

Old 05-15-2016, 06:55 PM   #53
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Calgary Foothills kicked off their PDL season this weekend. Club lost 1-0 against Washington Crossfire on Friday, and won 2-0 against Victoria Highlanders this afternoon.

Now, let's pack Glenmore on May 27. Let's show that there's some actual interest for local soccer and not just the super clubs on TV in this city.

Old 05-18-2016, 09:34 AM   #54
MillerTime GFG
First Line Centre

Exp:

Just wanted to say that I played on Glenmore 1 last night, and that field is just as poor as it has always been...it's a shame PDL is playing there; if only Broadview were an option.

Long grass still, which is fixable, but it's very bumpy and compressed. Really makes it hard to have any flow in the game.
MillerTime GFG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 10:34 AM   #55
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Sherm, when can tickets be purchased for this? Day of? Advance? Only at the Ship?
cam_wmh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 02:28 PM   #56
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillerTime GFG View Post
Just wanted to say that I played on Glenmore 1 last night, and that field is just as poor as it has always been...it's a shame PDL is playing there; if only Broadview were an option.

Long grass still, which is fixable, but it's very bumpy and compressed. Really makes it hard to have any flow in the game.
Played on Frank McCool this week. My home pitch as a kid, and even it - is getting beat up. Played at Shouldice 2 earlier this season as well, and it's like a Rugby field.

I can't think of many good grass fields remaining.

Broadview of course. Mt Royal 1. Forest Lawn when it's cut. What about that Foothills field with the track around it?

I feel they could make Glenmore 1 really good, with some better maintenance & limit it to be played ONLY by the Foothills FC team.
Old 05-20-2016, 03:13 PM   #57
Addick
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cam_wmh View Post
I feel they could make Glenmore 1 really good, with some better maintenance & limit it to be played ONLY by the Foothills FC team.
As more synthetic turf fields get added, they should start to more aggressively protect and maintain their Class A grass fields.
“Such suburban models are being rationalized as ‘what people want,’ when in fact they are simply what is most expedient to produce. The truth is that what people want is a decent place to live, not just a suburban version of a decent place to live.”

- Roberta Brandes Gratz
Addick is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Addick For This Useful Post:
Old 05-21-2016, 09:04 AM   #58
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Sherm, when can tickets be purchased for this? Day of? Advance? Only at the Ship?
Only at the Ship as far as I know. As of when you can get them, I'm assuming you can get them between now and Friday. There are also "bus only" arrangements if you are like me and already have seasons.

Old 05-21-2016, 10:30 AM   #59
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Bugger. I have my own game Friday
Old 05-26-2016, 12:15 PM   #60
MillerTime GFG
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Played on Frank McCool this week. My home pitch as a kid, and even it - is getting beat up. Played at Shouldice 2 earlier this season as well, and it's like a Rugby field.

I can't think of many good grass fields remaining.

Broadview of course. Mt Royal 1. Forest Lawn when it's cut. What about that Foothills field with the track around it?

Glenmore could be good with maintenance for sure, though it is a fairly small field if I'm not mistaken.

Played on Broadview on Tuesday, and it is in the best shape I've ever seen it in. Good on Gibbsy for taking good care of it, it was like a carpet!
MillerTime GFG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MillerTime GFG For This Useful Post:

Tags
calgary foothills , foot soldiers , highlanders suck , pdl