Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 01-21-2016, 03:13 PM   #61
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

http://www.rugbycanada.ca/leagues/ne...D=0&page=93039

What a waste of money.

Quote:
Rugby Canada is pleased to announce that Gareth Rees and Jim Dixon are embarking on a coast-to-coast tour to share the upcoming plans to prepare Canada for the 2019 Rugby World Cup in Japan.

The purpose of the tour is to provide fans and alumni with an overview of Rugby Canada’s findings from the 2015 Rugby World Cup Committee Report, and the strategic plans being implemented for the 2019 Rugby World Cup cycle.

Along the way, Rees and Dixon will also attend and speak at the National Rugby Conference presented by Honda at the Hilton Meadowvale, in Mississauga from January 29-31.

Rugby Canada is seeking feedback from the Canadian rugby fans, players, sponsors and the community as we look to inspire and engage on our Road to the World Cup.

Below is the full schedule of the Road to Rugby World Cup Japan 2019 Promotion Tour:

Road to Rugby World Cup 2019 Tour Schedule:

January 26: Calgary, AB (Deerfront Inn, 11500-35 Street SE at 8pm ET / 5pm PT)
January 27: Regina, SK (Regina Rugby Club, 4025 25th Ave at 8pm ET / 5pm PT)
January 28: Winnipeg, MB (University of Manitoba, 66 Chancellors Cir at 8pm ET / 5pm PT)
January 29: Montreal, QC (Olympic Stadium, 4545 Pierre-de-Coubertin at 6pm ET / 3pm PT)
January 30-31: Toronto, ON (Hilton Meadowvale, 6750 Mississauga Rd)
February 1: Halifax, NS (CIBC Auditorium, Dalhousie U, 6050 University Av at 6:30pm ET / 3:30pm PT)
February 2: St. John’s, NFL (Swilers RFC, 100 Crosbie Drive)

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 01:23 PM   #62
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

mad skills

Quote:
Old 01-23-2016, 03:28 PM   #63
carom
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by brocoli View Post
Hey guys, so I'm going to London in the spring and wouldn't you know it...It's the same time as the final for the Premier league. Question is, i've never been to a game before and don't really follow it that closely. Where should I sit? I see that there are still plenty of seats available. I understand the game, but have never seen it live. Thanks for the tips.
Sorry for the late response. I live in Twickenham, have been to a few games at the stadium and am a Harlequins season ticket holder. I haven't got my ticket for the final yet, but I will see how the quins do and pick one up closer to the game.

As for viewing the game, I would recommend mid to upper level if you want to have a good overview of the game. I prefer being close to the sidelines because when the play is in your end you get a different feel for the game when you can really see the size and speed of the players. I think the south and west stand will be the best sides for the game, if it is sunny the sun could be an issue in the northeast corner.

Feel free to send me a PM if you have any questions about places to stay, getting around, and the best pubs to go to.

Come on you Quins!
dear god is he 14?
carom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 08:23 PM   #64
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
You know I am right. I didn't even touch on their fan base.

Yeah, sadly, Cheetah's very rarely get the love they should.

Brussow was cast onto the garbage heap, and Goosen was driven to France.
It looks like the Cheetahs make it to Sydney this season. That could be a superb high scoring game.

Also, the 2016 Super Rugby season has to be the most ridiculous and ambitious league ever created. They have done a good job with the schedule to limit the travel but there are going to be some serious air miles put up. The SunWolves probably have it the worst with two home grounds:

Tokyo->bye->Singapore->Tokyo->Singapore->Port Elizabeth->Cape Town->Bloemfontein->Tokyo->bye->Tokyo->Singapore->Brisbane->Canberra->Tokyo->Pretoria->Durban
FireGilbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 08:52 PM   #65
Party Elephant
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireGilbert View Post
It looks like the Cheetahs make it to Sydney this season. That could be a superb high scoring game.

Also, the 2016 Super Rugby season has to be the most ridiculous and ambitious league ever created. They have done a good job with the schedule to limit the travel but there are going to be some serious air miles put up. The SunWolves probably have it the worst with two home grounds:

Tokyo->bye->Singapore->Tokyo->Singapore->Port Elizabeth->Cape Town->Bloemfontein->Tokyo->bye->Tokyo->Singapore->Brisbane->Canberra->Tokyo->Pretoria->Durban
I have to wonder just how much their owners paid to convince SANZAR that this was a good idea
Party Elephant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 09:25 PM   #66
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Party Elephant View Post
I have to wonder just how much their owners paid to convince SANZAR that this was a good idea

At least the Argentinian expansion makes some sense: Southern Hemisphere, Pumas in Rugby Championship, easier travel for SA teams than Oz or NZ. Adding a northern hemisphere team is all about money though.

They should have gone with the one team from Buenos Aires then in a few years if that succeeded add a second Argentinian team. Other options would have been to add a Singapore team to the Australian division and a Pacific Islands team to the NZ division.
Old 01-26-2016, 09:31 AM   #67
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

ARC Long List comes out

http://www.rugbycanada.ca/leagues/ne...D=0&page=93142

Quote:
Canada’s 2016 Americas Rugby Championship Long List:
Kyle Baillie – (Halifax Tars/Atlantic Rock) Summerside, PEI?
Ray Barkwill – (Castaway Wanderers/Ontario Blues) Niagara Falls, ON
Nick Blevins – (Calgary Hornets/Prairie Wolf Pack) Calgary, AB?
Gradyn Bowd – (UVIC Vikes/Prairie Wolf Pack) Calgary, AB?
Rob Brouwer – (Lindsay RFC/Ontario Blues) Lindsay, ON?
Hubert Buydens – (Castaway Wanderers/Prairie Wolf Pack) Saskatoon, SK
Liam Chisholm – (UVIC Vikes) Kenora, ON?
Alistair Clark – (Bay Street Pigs/Ontario Blues) Oakville, ON?
Paul Ciulini – (Aurora Barbarians/Ontario Blues) Vaughan, ON?
Andrew Ferguson – (Oakville Crusaders/Ontario Blues) Mississauga, ON
Michael Hamson – (Halifax Tars/Atlantic Rock) Halifax, NS?
Eric Howard – (Brantford Harlequins/Ontario Blues) Ottawa, ON?
Jake Ilnicki – (Castaway Wanderers/BC Bears) Williams Lake, BC?
Brett Johnson – (Truro Saints/Atlantic Rock) Truro, NS?
Ryan Kotlewski – (Calgary Saints/Prairie Wolf Pack) Calgary, AB?
Phil Mackenzie – (Sale Sharks/Ontario Blues), Oakville, ON?
Duncan Maguire – (St. Albert RFCC/Prairie Wolf Pack) St. Albert, AB?
Alex Mascott – (UBC Thunderbirds/BC Bears) Langley, BC?
Gordon McRorie – (Calgary Hornets/Prairie Wolf Pack) Calgary, AB
Dan Moor – (Balmy Beach RFC/Ontario Blues) Toronto, ON?
Callum Morrison – (UBCOB Ravens/BC Bears) Victoria, BC?
Evan Olmstead – (Parramatta Two Blues/Prairie Wolf Pack) Vancouver, BC
Clay Panga – (Castaway Wanderers/Prairie Wolf Pack) Calgary, AB?
Pat Parfrey – (Swilers RFC/Atlantic Rock) St. John’s, NL?
Jacob Robinson – (St. Albert RFC/Prairie Wolf Pack) St. Albert, AB?
Lucas Rumball – (Balmy Beach RFC/Ontario Blues) Scarborough, ON
Mozac Samson – (Calgary Saints/Prairie Wolf Pack) Calgary, AB?
Djustice Sears-Duru – (Oakville Crusaders/Ontario Blues) Oakville, ON
Great to see a kid like Bowd (a Red Deer Titan) on the list. He has done a lot of hard work and deserves it after leading the Pack to a championship this past summer.

2 (well 3 Hornets on the list and a couple of 'aints).

Good showing from Calgary.

Quote:
Old 01-26-2016, 10:15 AM   #68
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

At least the Argentinian expansion makes some sense: Southern Hemisphere, Pumas in Rugby Championship, easier travel for SA teams than Oz or NZ. Adding a northern hemisphere team is all about money though.

They should have gone with the one team from Buenos Aires then in a few years if that succeeded add a second Argentinian team. Other options would have been to add a Singapore team to the Australian division and a Pacific Islands team to the NZ division.
While I would love an Island team, I think the logistics would be horrible. Also, those places have a lot of players scattered all over the world.

If you could somehow bring them home, the team would be impressive.

Quote:
Old 02-05-2016, 10:43 PM   #69
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Six Nations starts tomorrow, but the only coverage in Canada is TV Monde which is French... if you get it. Its so disappointing that with all the sports channels we have none of them shows international rugby consistently. I know they show games with Canada, and that's great, but some of these other tournaments are awesome and there is just nothing for coverage.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post:
Old 02-06-2016, 05:48 AM   #70
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

Anyone into Sevens? I'm heading the the Sydney Sevens tomorrow and will be wearing a Team Canada hockey jersey and cheering hard for the Canadians and Australians. I'm definitely looking forward to the crazy crowd and lots of tries.

Canada went 0-3 in Group A action today and will play Wales in the Bowl quarterfinal. It was a typical performance from the Canadians as they were competitive against teams much better than them (Australia and New Zealand) yet lost a game they should have won (Portugal).

Also of note is everyone's favourite multi-sport athlete, Sonny Bill Williams, has made the switch to Sevens. The Portuguese were not too happy about it!

The Following User Says Thank You to FireGilbert For This Useful Post:
Old 02-06-2016, 07:19 AM   #71
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sevens is fun and exciting. I can't recall, but I'm pretty sure that undercoverbrother is a huge sevens fan!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post:
Old 02-06-2016, 11:48 PM   #72
Party Elephant
First Line Centre

Exp:

I only lived in Wellington for a few months and unfortunately wasn't around for Sevens weekend, but according to everyone I knew it is the biggest party of the year up there. Apparently there's a rugby tournament too!

Is it like this in Sydney too FireGilbert?
Party Elephant is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Party Elephant For This Useful Post:
Old 02-07-2016, 03:10 PM   #73
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

^Those ladies would have received some severe sunburns in Sydney yesterday!

There was definitely some good eye candy in nice costumes though. Unfortunately my brain has been permanently scarred by one man wearing Karl Stefanovic themed budgie smugglers.

It ended up being a pretty epic day and I would recommend it to anyone. The crowd was crazy and the rugby was good too. The Canadians played much better, beating Wales, Scotland, and Samoa to take the Bowl, while the Aussies were also good but lost a heartbreaker to the All Blacks (of course) in the Cup final. A few comments:

-Nathan Hirayama is an incredible Sevens player. As long as he is on the team Canada will be competitive.
-The Fijians are the most skilled players in the world and their fans are the craziest. They really should be better at Union.
-I was really impressed with Kenya and their loud fans. Their comeback win against the USA was one of the highlights of the day.
-Big props to the two guys decked out in full lumberjack gear. They must have been melting.

Also, it takes a lot of endurance for a fan to get through one of these events! I was completely beat after going for one day, I can only image how people who went for both days plus lots of drinking feel today.
Old 02-08-2016, 09:07 AM   #74
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
Sevens is fun and exciting. I can't recall, but I'm pretty sure that undercoverbrother is a huge sevens fan!
In as much as I am a big fan of 3 on 3 hockey.

Quote:
^Those ladies would have received some severe sunburns in Sydney yesterday!

There was definitely some good eye candy in nice costumes though. Unfortunately my brain has been permanently scarred by one man wearing Karl Stefanovic themed budgie smugglers.

It ended up being a pretty epic day and I would recommend it to anyone. The crowd was crazy and the rugby was good too. The Canadians played much better, beating Wales, Scotland, and Samoa to take the Bowl, while the Aussies were also good but lost a heartbreaker to the All Blacks (of course) in the Cup final. A few comments:

-Nathan Hirayama is an incredible Sevens player. As long as he is on the team Canada will be competitive.
-The Fijians are the most skilled players in the world and their fans are the craziest. They really should be better at Union.
-I was really impressed with Kenya and their loud fans. Their comeback win against the USA was one of the highlights of the day.
-Big props to the two guys decked out in full lumberjack gear. They must have been melting.

Also, it takes a lot of endurance for a fan to get through one of these events! I was completely beat after going for one day, I can only image how people who went for both days plus lots of drinking feel today.

Totally, aside, but a player from my club won his first cap on Saturday against Uruguay.

Very proud moment, couple that with 2 players from my old club in the squad, it was lovely.

Quote:
Old 02-08-2016, 12:48 PM   #75
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/201...ens-tournament

Quote:
Australian coach Andy Friend says World Rugby must act quickly to ensure the debut of sevens at the Rio Olympics isn’t plagued by an embarrassing eight-man bungle like the one which struck the Sydney Sevens.

The sport’s governing body has launched an investigation into New Zealand’s apparent fielding of an extra man in the dying stages of their 17-17 pool draw with the home side.
I wonder if Sir Clive is coaching NZ 7's.

Quote:
Old 02-08-2016, 02:37 PM   #76
upperloge77
Draft Pick

Quote:
Anyone into Sevens? I'm heading the the Sydney Sevens tomorrow and will be wearing a Team Canada hockey jersey and cheering hard for the Canadians and Australians. I'm definitely looking forward to the crazy crowd and lots of tries.

Canada went 0-3 in Group A action today and will play Wales in the Bowl quarterfinal. It was a typical performance from the Canadians as they were competitive against teams much better than them (Australia and New Zealand) yet lost a game they should have won (Portugal).

Also of note is everyone's favourite multi-sport athlete, Sonny Bill Williams, has made the switch to Sevens. The Portuguese were not too happy about it!

just recently discovered Sevens with a bout of insomnia and nothing much else to watch at night. absolutely love the sport. question. what's the highest level league in Canada, or is there? Just club level and National team at this point?
upperloge77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 03:54 PM   #77
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by upperloge77 View Post
just recently discovered Sevens with a bout of insomnia and nothing much else to watch at night. absolutely love the sport. question. what's the highest level league in Canada, or is there? Just club level and National team at this point?

There is no 7's league in Canada.

There are some summer 7's tourney's

Quote:
Old 02-08-2016, 06:08 PM   #78
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

You can see it live in Vancouver next month as well, both mens and womens.
Old 02-08-2016, 08:02 PM   #79
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
In as much as I am a big fan of 3 on 3 hockey.
You can't really compare with 3 on 3 hockey where physicality has been completely removed from the game. Rugby Sevens still has huge tackles, intense scrums, and epic try line stands.

Quote:

That was a awesome hit. I was almost in that replay actually, we were sitting on the try line about 20 rows up.

The All Black/USA game was possibly the most anger filled match of the day and the Eagles left it battered and bruised. The highlight was Sonny Bill and Danny Barrett almost getting into a fight.

Quote:

Totally, aside, but a player from my club won his first cap on Saturday against Uruguay.

Very proud moment, couple that with 2 players from my old club in the squad, it was lovely.
That's awesome, go Canada!

Quote:
http://www.theguardian.com/sport/201...ens-tournament

I wonder if Sir Clive is coaching NZ 7's.
Yeah, that was scandalous although didn't really matter in the end as both teams made the final. There will be a major uproar if this happens in the Olympics though!

Last edited by FireGilbert; 02-08-2016 at 11:04 PM.
Old 02-08-2016, 08:02 PM   #80
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
You can see it live in Vancouver next month as well, both mens and womens.
You can also see some good 7's players at Stampede 7's, not in my division, but other divisions.

Quote: