Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-22-2016, 09:26 AM   #201
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandwagon In Flames View Post
He was also sheltered in a 3rd line role with ample PP time. It was an impressive rookie season no doubt, but he was never having to score goals against top shutdown guys until being paired with Gaudreau on the top 2 lines.

Monahan is a great positional player in the offensive zone. He knows where he has to be in order to have success. Also great at battling for his space in the slot and keeping his stick free. But he typically relies on good passers to get him the puck, except for the occasional snipe off the rush.
In other words, he doesn't dangle. That's fine with me. In fact, it wouldn't work for him to play with Gaudreau if he did.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 09:27 AM   #202
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

I like this drafting Matthews and keeping Bennett on the wing idea. Like a lot.

Two bonafide scoring lines would be so nice
polak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 09:29 AM   #203
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have no doubt that Bennett will improve tremendously - and it isn't like he is awful right now - but if he was really good defensively, Hartley would be utilizing him as a center. The reason Bennett isn't playing center is exactly for that reason, no? Monahan joined the Flames while being fairly sound defensively - but even he struggled for the first season. Bennett didn't come with Monahan's defensive acumen. He came with a different (and wonderful) set of skills and abilities, and I do see him improving defensively.

He will get there eventually, but that is the reason why he is playing wing, not center at the moment.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Calgary4LIfe For This Useful Post:
Old 01-22-2016, 09:32 AM   #204
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
In other words, he doesn't dangle. That's fine with me. In fact, it wouldn't work for him to play with Gaudreau if he did.
I think it would work if Monahan dangled. Monahan and Gaudreau work well because they are both very skilled and both have very high IQ. I have no doubt that Gaudreau - Bennett would be a thing of beauty as well.

Panarin and Kane seem to work extremely well together - probably even better than Toews and Kane. Sometimes chemistry just develops. In Gaudreau's case, he seems to develop chemistry with practically anyone - but Monahan's high IQ definitely works extremely well with Gaudreau.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 09:35 AM   #205
Bandwagon In Flames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
In other words, he doesn't generate his own offense which is what I previously said... When 80% of your goals are coming from 1 foot from the net, you need teammates who can get you the puck in tight. Where-as Bennett is able to turn a 3 on 2 rush against into a frigging breakaway. That's called creating your own offense.

Earlier in the season Gaudreau and Bennett were paired together in order for Bennett to get on a role and build confidence. 3 points in 2 games playing with Gaudreau to date. Did Hartley keep the line together? No, because Monahan had 0 points in the same time and Hartley wanted him to contribute offensively as well.
Bandwagon In Flames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 09:36 AM   #206
heep223
Could Care Less

Exp:

Quote:
I think some people confuse being more physical, which Bennett obviously is, with better defence. Monahan has better positioning still. That's not to say Bennett will not get there, but he still has a lot of junior habits in him (at both ends of the ice).

IMO neither of them are as good as Stajan on defence. Backlund can be very good, but he can also be off defensively. And IMO neither Bennett or Monahan will be shutdown centres per se - they will be guys who are good enough defensively that you can generally go strength versus strength without much concern. But if you have a choice you might throw a larger defensive centre (Jankowski one day?) out against a Getzlaf.
Agree with all of this. Bennett/Monahan will eventually be the 1/2 punch. Honestly we have a glut of 3rd line centers with Backlund, Granlund and Stajan. I feel that Stajan is underutilized as a 4th line C, he's a really smart player and a good playmaker. He makes both Granlund and to a lesser extent Backlund expendable. Why not bump Stajan up to 3rd line C, trade Backlund and/or Granlund for futures or if you can package for a 2nd line winger, and call up Grant as 4th line C. By the time Stajan is too old, two of Janko/Arnold/Grant will be bottom 6 C.
heep223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 09:39 AM   #207
Bandwagon In Flames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary4LIfe View Post
I have no doubt that Bennett will improve tremendously - and it isn't like he is awful right now - but if he was really good defensively, Hartley would be utilizing him as a center. The reason Bennett isn't playing center is exactly for that reason, no? Monahan joined the Flames while being fairly sound defensively - but even he struggled for the first season. Bennett didn't come with Monahan's defensive acumen. He came with a different (and wonderful) set of skills and abilities, and I do see him improving defensively.

He will get there eventually, but that is the reason why he is playing wing, not center at the moment.
I see it as Backlund having a good defensive game and abysmal offensive game. With our lack of top-6 depth you need both of these guys in a top-6 role, but Bennett can still contribute offensively on the wing so it's best to have Backlund Center him instead.

Also, many great centremen started their career playing on the wing. Him on the wing now is no indication of the future.
Bandwagon In Flames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 09:42 AM   #208
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think one of Monahan's greatest strengths since day 1 in the NHL has been his tremendous positioning. That is why a lot of people scratch their heads at his point totals because he doesn't look flashy when he plays, but he does a lot of things right and finds himself space, and gets the points. He took a huge step from year 1 to year 2, and is continuing to improve, albeit at a less drastic rate. I get annoyed at much of the criticism he gets on this board. I want to reiterate again that the C position is a lot harder than the wing. That is probably why Crosby will forever be remembered as the more imporant player compared to Ovi, despite Ovi's gaudy point totals. If Ovi continues his torrid pace and Crosby cools to an extent, then Ovi might have a case for being better of the two.

Certainly am not taking anything away from Johnny or Bennett. Johnny is a tremendous player in his own right, and Bennett sure looks like he's becoming one. I'm nothing but excited for these 3 young lads and I can't wait to see where it all takes us. Couple that with Brodie and Hamilton anchoring the blueline, and Gio steadying the ship; there can be some real magic in the future if Brad can support them.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 09:52 AM   #209
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Looks like eastern media is picking him back up for Calder discussions

Gino Reda @GinoRedaTSN
Look who's suddenly in the Calder Chatter: @NHLFlames @SBennett93 Blip? Or Hitting stride? #TH2N
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 01-22-2016, 09:55 AM   #210
Da_Chief
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by heep223 View Post
Why would they put Granlund in that position when they have Backlund, who is better than Granlund in every way and is bigger.
Cheaper, younger. Granlund will/is getting better. Why do you need 3+ mill 3rd center when you can have it half the price?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Pharmacist View Post
? He's terrible defensively
Who? Granlund? I disagree.
Da_Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 09:55 AM   #211
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
Looks like eastern media is picking him back up for Calder discussions

Gino Reda @GinoRedaTSN
Look who's suddenly in the Calder Chatter: @NHLFlames @SBennett93 Blip? Or Hitting stride? #TH2N
That sucks. Everyone will be partying in Vegas and he'll be in bed by 11PM.
Old 01-22-2016, 10:58 AM   #212
sharkov
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Panarin is running away with the Calder, even though he has an advantage over others by playing with Kane and such
Old 01-22-2016, 12:07 PM   #213
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandwagon In Flames View Post
In other words, he doesn't generate his own offense which is what I previously said... When 80% of your goals are coming from 1 foot from the net, you need teammates who can get you the puck in tight. Where-as Bennett is able to turn a 3 on 2 rush against into a frigging breakaway. That's called creating your own offense.

Earlier in the season Gaudreau and Bennett were paired together in order for Bennett to get on a role and build confidence. 3 points in 2 games playing with Gaudreau to date. Did Hartley keep the line together? No, because Monahan had 0 points in the same time and Hartley wanted him to contribute offensively as well.
Monahan creates offence by getting in position to score, which he did even without Gaudreau. True, he was "sheltered" but that was more a defensive sheltering. He also had inferior linemates but still managed to score. A team needs shooters and that's what Monahan is. Hull didn't "create his own offence" either, by your standards, neither did Bossy, Esposito, etc.

Johnny and Monahan complement each other. I am not convinced that if Monahan hung onto the puck more and dangled it would mean more team goals overall.
Old 01-22-2016, 12:11 PM   #214
Goodlad
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Monahan creates offence by getting in position to score, which he did even without Gaudreau. True, he was "sheltered" but that was more a defensive sheltering. He also had inferior linemates but still managed to score. A team needs shooters and that's what Monahan is. Hull didn't "create his own offence" either, by your standards, neither did Bossy, Esposito, etc.

Johnny and Monahan complement each other. I am not convinced that if Monahan hung onto the puck more and dangled it would mean more team goals overall.
Another thing Monahan is fantastic at is keeping his stick free. It's a small, but crucial detail. There are countless times where you see Johnny slide a pass right through the slot only to have a player in a scoring position have his stick tied up by the opposition. Monahan does a better job than most players on this team at getting his stick on pucks in tight.
Goodlad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 12:19 PM   #215
Split98
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkov View Post
Panarin is running away with the Calder, even though he has an advantage over others by playing with Kane and such
And took a discount to do so. As much as I want Bennett to win, I can't hate on Panarin.
Split98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 12:21 PM   #216
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yes. It's not like Monahan has nothing but tap-ins set up by Johnny. He's a good finisher. Does he have Bennett's tools? No, but he was never supposed to.
The Following User Says Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 01-22-2016, 12:27 PM   #217
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Yes. It's not like Monahan has nothing but tap-ins set up by Johnny. He's a good finisher. Does he have Bennett's tools? No, but he was never supposed to.
Don't forget, Mony was given the "A" for 41 games this year. He clearly exhibits leadership as well and he's only 21.
Old 01-22-2016, 12:27 PM   #218
Vedder
First Line Centre

Exp:

Granlund is now 22 years old and has 4 points in 22 games averaging 13 minutes a night. He's been given a pretty good opportunity here and has done very little with it. At this stage in his development, you'd like to see more.

He's not close to being ready to replace Backlund, who has been roughly a 0.5 ppg player the last 4 seasons, dating back to when he was the same age as Granlund is now. Backlund is also a much better player at even strength.
Vedder is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Vedder For This Useful Post:
Old 01-22-2016, 12:30 PM   #219
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vedder View Post
Granlund is now 22 years old and has 4 points in 22 games averaging 13 minutes a night. He's been given a pretty good opportunity here and has done very little with it. At this stage in his development, you'd like to see more.

He's not close to being ready to replace Backlund, who has been roughly a 0.5 ppg player the last 4 seasons, dating back to when he was the same age as Granlund is now. Backlund is also a much better player at even strength.
Granlund still needs time. For many players, generating a shot on goal is hard to do. Granlund has been generating many shots. I think it's a matter of time before he starts getting some poitns.

Also, a lot of his TOI comes on the PK where he's not expected to score. It's telling that the coach trusts a young guy to play the PK whereas Johnny and Bennett havent seen a hint of PK time. (which isn't bad, mind you)
Old 01-22-2016, 12:32 PM   #220
bob-loblaw
First Line Centre

Exp:

I would think he's got a legit shot at rookie of the month for January. Not sure which rookie has been better so far.
bob-loblaw is offline   Reply With Quote