Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-27-2015, 09:34 AM   #1
Pagal4321
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default 2015-2016 Blue Jays Off-Season Thread

Time to move everything out of that ALCS thread.

Will AA be back? Will Price re-sign? Will Estrada cash in on his 2nd half performance? Will Shapiro dispose of the stupid 5 year contract max?

This should be a very interesting summer for the Jays and their fan base.
Pagal4321 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pagal4321 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-27-2015, 09:37 AM   #2
Caged Great
Franchise Player

Exp:

Shapiro has already stated that the 5 year rule is toast because that limits the good players from signing with you.
Fireside Chat - The #1 Flames Fan Podcast - FiresideChat.ca
Caged Great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 09:55 AM   #3
kmart
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I think the keys to the offseason will be to get some lefties in the line up, another lefty in the bullpen, and a starter or two (whether it be Price or Estrada).

The Blue Jays were too right heavy and having a lefty would've made a world of difference. Righties always pitched these guys away, which lead to a lot of walks. It would be an unbelievable line up if they could get another left bat to protect our top hitters and balance our line up against right handed pitchers.

Another lefty in the bullpen would be crucial for Cecil's sake. Loup isn't that guy either. Not having a lefty really hurt this team in the end of the year.

Lastly, the starters are likely penciled in as Stroman, Sanchez, Dickey, and Hutchison thus far. Signing one or two more starters and moving one of Dickey and Hutchison to the pen as a long man would be the ideal move IMO. I think Stroman is a top 2 guy and Sanchez has proven for stretches that he can be a starter in the league. Dickey worries me, especially with his declining velocity and Hutchison has huge concern for me as well, although I can see him turning it around. I hope they can keep Estrada and sign another 2-3 pitcher (ie. Jeff Samardzija).

I think with some adjustments to the line up and the bullpen and adding two starters this is right there in the chase for another pennant next year.
kmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 10:35 AM   #4
flames_fan_down_under
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

After the best season of Jays baseball in a very very long time it's an exciting off-season ahead for the Jays.

Having Shapiro in the front office brings some more legitimacy to the Jays front-office and was a move that I liked from the beginning. For anyone who wants to learn a bit more about Shapiro here's a good piece from bluebirdbanter.com:

http://www.bluebirdbanter.com/2015/8...t-mark-shapiro

Off-season priorities:

1) Alex Anthopoulos situation: I think re-signing AA is a no-brainer for Shapiro and it will likely happen as soon as it can possibly be done, which is Nov. 1 I think? AA brought playoff baseball to Toronto for the first time in 22 years. I know I probably whine about the Dickey trade too much but AA has made some absolutely awesome trades. The best being Lawrie for Donaldson, Lind for Estrada, the Troy Tulowitzki trade. His signing of Melky Cabrera was one of his better free-agent moves.

Caveat: My only issue with AA being re-signed is that AA and Gibbons are basically a package deal. I am still not, and frankly haven't ever been sold on Gibbons.

2) The pitching situation: The most glaring issue for the Jays is both starting pitching and having reliable arms in the bullpen. The Jays are certainly going to pick-up Dickey's option. It's doubtful the Jays have a player that is more of a lightning rod than R.A. Dickey. Price is not likely to come back which sucks but I don't think the Jays will be able to compete with the Dodgers/Yankees/Red-Sox of the MLB. Estrada will get re-signed. Hopefully Estrada can pitch to Russell Martin because Navarro won't be back. Then likely a trade of either Encarnacion or Bautista. I think Edwin gets traded for a good pitcher. Wishful thinking side of me is hoping Jeff Samardzija is signed as a free-agent. So that gives us Stroman-Pitcher acquired via EE trade- Samardzija- Estrada - Dickey.

The bullpen will have Loup, Osuna, Cecil, Hutchison, Sanchez, Schultz, Tepera, Jenkins and a host of others and needs a lot of work.

3)LF/RF/1B: This is where things get interesting. The Jays hold onto Collabello, the production he brings with his price-tag is a no-brainer. I like the idea of signing Chris Davis, he's a left handed bat on a team needing more lefties plus he can play first base. Smoak is gone IMO. Keep Revere in LF, put Joey Bats in as DH, and put Saunders in RF.

4)Backup Catcher: Navarro re-signing is unlikely given his displeasure of being replaced by Russell Martin. John Jaso, despite his horrific dreadlocks, can play catcher and is a good hitter and could be had a decent price tag AND he's a left handed bat. He's on my wish-list.

That's my list! Go JAYS!
flames_fan_down_under is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 10:40 AM   #5
Jason14h
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
3)LF/RF/1B: This is where things get interesting. The Jays hold onto Collabello, the production he brings with his price-tag is a no-brainer. I like the idea of signing Chris Davis, he's a left handed bat on a team needing more lefties plus he can play first base. Smoak is gone IMO. Keep Revere in LF, put Joey Bats in as DH, and put Saunders in RF.
Where does Edwin go?

I don't think we will see Saunders next season
Jason14h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 10:49 AM   #6
flames_fan_down_under
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason14h View Post
Where does Edwin go?

I don't think we will see Saunders next season
In my post I said he was traded for a pitcher!
flames_fan_down_under is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 10:55 AM   #7
Pagal4321
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm with a few other posters around here, I don't think AA is signing with the Blue Jays. I have a feeling there is a power struggle between Shapiro & AA that will cause him to look elsewhere.

Hope I'm wrong though.
Old 10-27-2015, 10:58 AM   #8
bomber317
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

If they could add Chris Davis to first base that would be awesome. Power lefty batter, more dongs!

I would really like to get Jose out of RF and get an upgrade on defense in RF. But that would create a log jam in DH with EE and Jose there. Seems crazy to move one of those out now.

Our starters look iffy right now

Stroman
Dickey (option year)

Buehrle (retires?)
Price (FA)
Estrada (FA)

Hutch (bullpen? starter?)
Sanchez (stays in bullpen?)
Osuna (convert to starter?)
Pennington (convert to starter?) - http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/cliff...-on-the-mound/ :P

LF - Sauders/Revere (one or the other, not both)
CF - Pillar
RF - Bautista
Backup - Pompey
3B - JD
SS - Tulo
2B - Travis
Backup - Goins
1B - Davis
DH - EE
Cheerleader - Kawasaki
bomber317 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 12:31 PM   #9
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

sports hernia surgery for Edwin:

http://www.thescore.com/mlb/news/858333
habernac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 12:32 PM   #10
goodyear
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I think as long as AA is still the GM, the team will get better. He's proven that he can bring in the right kind of guys to make the team work.

Left handed arms and bats are priorities.

It'll be awesome if they bring back both Price and Estrada or at the very least, Estrada. Regardless if Sanchez and/or Osuna are moved to the rotation, the Jays still need to bolster the bullpen.

Now if only Treliving can pull off what AA did this season!
goodyear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 12:53 PM   #11
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

My wishlist:

David Price
Marco Estrada
Chris Davis
A decent back up catcher
Take the options on EE, JB and Dickey
Upgrade bullpen if possible

1. 2B Travis
2. 3B Donaldson
3. RF Bautista
4. 1B Davis
5. DH Encarnacion
6. SS Tulowitzki
7. BC Martin
8. CF Pillar
9. LF Revere

Backup IF - Goins/Colabello (1B)
Backup OF - Pompey/Carerra/Saunders
Backup catcher: ?????

Rotation:

Price
Stroman
Estrada
Dickey
Hutchison/Sanchez

Bullpen:

Osuna
Cecil
Loup (upgrade if possible)
Hendriks
Tepera
Schultz
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 03:12 PM   #12
Jiggy_12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Adding Davis would be great. But I would be afraid of what price tag he will command, and being that he turns 30 this off season he likely knows this will be his only shot at a massive contract. Id rather see the money go to Price/Estrada and/or another arm. If there's any way to do it all then I'm all for going after Davis, but I hope they don't set their sights on him in place of top end pitching.

The thought of him in the Jays lineup is almost absurd. No free agent pitcher will come anywhere near the AL East.
Jiggy_12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 03:45 PM   #13
flambers
Franchise Player

Exp:

Off-season priorities:

1) Starting Pitching

- Likely Jays will lose Price, Estrada and Buhrele in the off season (3 of the 5 Starters).
- Jays will need to convert either Osuna or Sanchez to a Starter
- Jays I would guess pick up the club option on Dickey

2) Left handed Bat

- Line up has way to many righties....

3) Bull Pen

Last edited by flambers; 10-27-2015 at 03:49 PM.
flambers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 03:55 PM   #14
Pagal4321
Franchise Player

Exp:

Someone is going to pay Chris Davis $100M plus, I can't see the Jays going anywhere close to that, nor should they. They do need a left bat but not at that cost.

If top dollar is to be handed out, it should be almost entirely dedicated to pitching. Still don't see Price coming back, so chances are the Jays look at one of the Washington FA pitchers (Zimmerman or Fister) and a low cost/more risk pitcher (Iwakuma/Latos).
The Following User Says Thank You to Pagal4321 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-27-2015, 04:22 PM   #15
bomber317
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Video game mode - Pick up Davis AND Cespedes!
bomber317 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 06:52 PM   #16
whosurnabby
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pagal4321 View Post
I'm with a few other posters around here, I don't think AA is signing with the Blue Jays. I have a feeling there is a power struggle between Shapiro & AA that will cause him to look elsewhere.

Hope I'm wrong though.
I hope Rogers do everything in their power to bring back AA first, then when can focus on offseason moves. He's already proven the fanbase that he can get the ballclub the right players that they need for success within a budget range. Bring back AA!
whosurnabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 10:53 PM   #17
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

You can always find a productive bat in the scratch and dent bin, or by getting another team to pick up a good chunk of a guys salary. Chris Davis sounds great, but really a Kendrys Morales type as a 5-6 hitter in that lineup could do some damage. So maybe see if an Adam Laroche can be had on the cheap to add a bat.

Between EE and Bautista that's a tough call.

Put some money into pitching and make sure you have a bona-fide ace. Once Price was in place it put the other starters in position to succeed. Year in and year out teams struggle to have more than 3 guys throw 160 innings in a year.
Old 10-29-2015, 05:51 AM   #18
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Anthopolous has rejected a contract extension and is finished with the Blue Jays.....as per sportsnet.
Old 10-29-2015, 05:52 AM   #19
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
Anthopolous has rejected a contract extension and is finished with the Blue Jays.....as per sportsnet.
Well, this is going to get interesting.
Finger Cookin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 06:31 AM   #20
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Classic Rogers, getting into an unnecessary pissing match to put a guy in his place. They did it with Beeston, they did it with Burke, and the list gets another name added. Those moves didn't work out for them and I fail to see how it'll work for them here. Money wasn't an issue. It was responsibility. Rogers are making a huge mistake here and so is Shapiro if he won't give in a bit. There's no one better at this point. It's really upsetting news.
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote