Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 09-03-2016, 04:12 PM   #1001
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillerTime GFG View Post
And just to put things in perspective, Foothills FC would most likely finish middle of the pack in the AMSL, which is comprised of current and ex Uni/College players. Most of the players on Foothills are not in their prime of course, and aren't all men yet. I wasn't going to mention the score in my game last night, because I didn't want to come across as tooting my own horn, but I think it's relevant to the conversation, as we beat FC Edmonton reserves 2-0. We're almost all north of 30, and we've literally not held a single practice this whole season. Those kids train 3-4 times/week. Again, they are kids, and they will develop further, but it does kind of go to show just how drastic that next step to real professional soccer is.
Let me know when you're north of 35. Playing provincials this weekend, with so many games in a small timeframe, some good young legs would be appreciated.
cam_wmh is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cam_wmh For This Useful Post:
Old 09-03-2016, 07:30 PM   #1002
MillerTime GFG
First Line Centre

Exp:

Can't wait to be considered "young legs" again!
MillerTime GFG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 08:00 PM   #1003
Matty81
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlySports View Post
how/why did the CSL fold? I didn't follow back then.
I have an older brother and he and dad went to Calgary Strikers(?) games. At Mewata right?
Yeah it was before my time too. I just started watching soccer around then occasionally as a kid and remember seeing it on tsn once or twice in its last year or two. Calgary had folded in 1989 but the league lasted 3 more years.

No crazy back story... Just failed financially. Had a good 6 year run and was considered a success in terms of player production.

League had no stability and undertook some ill fated expansions, lots of churn in teams... Terrible non soccer stadiums... Much less diverse and soccer engaged public back then too.

But was really ambitious. The new csl if it goes forward has a much rockier landscape.... Existing mls teams in the 3 big cities and word is edmonton doesnt want to leave the nasl.
Matty81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 08:10 AM   #1004
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

There are rumours that El Salvador will throw tonights match by a big score.

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 08:17 AM   #1005
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Sorry they have been bribed to not lose. I dont know how that works.

http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/world/wo...nada-1.3749324...

Last edited by GirlySports; 09-06-2016 at 08:19 AM.
Old 09-06-2016, 08:41 AM   #1006
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

How very CONCACAF.

So in the event that the magical goal difference is met exactly, what is the tiebreaking criteria?

Points, goal difference, and then what?
Jimmy Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 08:57 AM   #1007
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Stang View Post
How very CONCACAF.

So in the event that the magical goal difference is met exactly, what is the tiebreaking criteria?

Points, goal difference, and then what?
goals scored then head to head (which Canada has the advantage on away goals hahaha). If Canada wins 4-0 and Honduras loses 1-0 they would both have exactly a goal difference of 6-7. Then the above head to head would come into play.

I'm actually really happy the El Savadorians are playing this straight up. Not only rejecting the bribes but outing the businessman in a press conference.

They seem like good guys. Remember they went on strike against their own FA in the game against Canada that Canada should have won easily.

The Following User Says Thank You to GirlySports For This Useful Post:
Old 09-06-2016, 10:02 AM   #1008
Addick
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
The root of the problem in Canada for soccer is the same as it is for rugby and a number of other sports. Our best athletes play hockey.
While I don't think all of our best athletes play hockey, I do believe that we don't approach other sports as seriously as we approach hockey. Even though many or most people involved with footy in this country may have the best of intentions, the execution is below the necessary standard. Consider my brother-in-law as an example. In order to coach my nephew's hockey team, my brother-in-law had to obtain a coaching certificate. In order to coach my nephew's footy team, my brother-in-law merely had to show up.
“Such suburban models are being rationalized as ‘what people want,’ when in fact they are simply what is most expedient to produce. The truth is that what people want is a decent place to live, not just a suburban version of a decent place to live.”

- Roberta Brandes Gratz
Addick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 10:39 AM   #1009
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

I feel a bit like this today:

The Following User Says Thank You to Jimmy Stang For This Useful Post:
Old 09-06-2016, 10:55 AM   #1010
M*A*S*H 4077
Franchise Player

Exp:

I was incredibly nervous for the Honduras match, but today I have a strange calm towards this match. Perhaps that is due to the fact it will really take a miracle to advance
M*A*S*H 4077 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to M*A*S*H 4077 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-06-2016, 11:03 AM   #1011
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addick View Post
While I don't think all of our best athletes play hockey, I do believe that we don't approach other sports as seriously as we approach hockey. Even though many or most people involved with footy in this country may have the best of intentions, the execution is below the necessary standard. Consider my brother-in-law as an example. In order to coach my nephew's hockey team, my brother-in-law had to obtain a coaching certificate. In order to coach my nephew's footy team, my brother-in-law merely had to show up.
Well when I say that our best athletes play hockey its not exclusive. Look no further than the summer Olympics that just passed and you can see Canadian athletes who are incredible and don't play hockey. But it is a numbers game at some point. In New Zealand kids are predominantly rugby players, and to the surprise of no one they have an excellent rugby program as a result. When the vast majority of kids (athletes) play one sport, the program has a wider selection and the cream of the crop they select is better.

Its also an issue that we have had some kids who were excellent players but had the option to opt for other national teams. Would they alone be enough to push Canada into the WC? Maybe not, but the increased competition and increased level for the team overall would've made an impact I think.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 11:12 AM   #1012
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by M*A*S*H 4077 View Post
I was incredibly nervous for the Honduras match, but today I have a strange calm towards this match. Perhaps that is due to the fact it will really take a miracle to advance

I can see Canada getting a few goals tonight, but I can also see Canada conceding a howler late to ruin the goal difference. Or Mexico having an "off night" as they say, and drawing Honduras. I can't see El Salvador upsetting Canada, but in the back of my mind, I wouldn't be entirely shocked if they found a way to crap the bed.

Following the CMNT does tend to make you a bit cynical.

But, in true supporter fashion, I'll be watching along regardless, and probably trying to pull the Mexico match up on a second screen.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jimmy Stang For This Useful Post:
Old 09-06-2016, 11:12 AM   #1013
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Classic CONCACAF. And to steal a quote from Reddit on the alleged match fixing offer:

"In case you watch tomorrow's game and wonder - we're not match fixing, we're just that bad"

shermanator is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to shermanator For This Useful Post:
Old 09-06-2016, 04:26 PM   #1014
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Looking ahead if Canada advances tonight, they would start the HEX with two consecutive home games.

Nov 11 against probably Panama (2nd B)
Nov 15 against probably T&T (2nd C)

If the US wins tonight, the HEX would open with USA-Mexico obviously in Columbus.

yes I'm looking ahead, i'm trying the anti-jinx!!!!!

Old 09-06-2016, 05:25 PM   #1015
MillerTime GFG
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Well when I say that our best athletes play hockey its not exclusive. Look no further than the summer Olympics that just passed and you can see Canadian athletes who are incredible and don't play hockey. But it is a numbers game at some point. In New Zealand kids are predominantly rugby players, and to the surprise of no one they have an excellent rugby program as a result. When the vast majority of kids (athletes) play one sport, the program has a wider selection and the cream of the crop they select is better.

Its also an issue that we have had some kids who were excellent players but had the option to opt for other national teams. Would they alone be enough to push Canada into the WC? Maybe not, but the increased competition and increased level for the team overall would've made an impact I think.
I believe there are more kids playing soccer in Canada these days than hockey believe it or not. I think I read that somewhere.
Old 09-06-2016, 06:13 PM   #1016
Party Elephant
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillerTime GFG View Post
I believe there are more kids playing soccer in Canada these days than hockey believe it or not. I think I read that somewhere.
That's been the case for decades
Party Elephant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 06:29 PM   #1017
MillerTime GFG
First Line Centre

Exp:

I don't know about decades...
Old 09-06-2016, 06:29 PM   #1018
Addick
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
When the vast majority of kids (athletes) play one sport, the program has a wider selection and the cream of the crop they select is better.
As other poster's have noted, more kids are kicking footballs than shooting pucks. With its ever increasing financial and time costs, hockey is actually pushing more and more kids to other sports. However, most neighbourhood clubs are not taking advantage. Foothills has never had a professional squad yet they have shown numerous kids that there are possibilities for them if they keep at it and are willing to learn what Foothills can teach.
“Such suburban models are being rationalized as ‘what people want,’ when in fact they are simply what is most expedient to produce. The truth is that what people want is a decent place to live, not just a suburban version of a decent place to live.”

- Roberta Brandes Gratz
Addick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 06:46 PM   #1019
CofR
Olympic Guru

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by M*A*S*H 4077 View Post
I feel the exact same way... I was super nervous for the match in Honduras, strangely calm today. Maybe this is just the acceptance stage
CofR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 07:05 PM   #1020
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

I came to accept the fact that the chances of making the Hex were done on Saturday morning. I'm expecting a win tonight, but of the 1-0 variety, with not enough help from Mexico to advance.

shermanator is offline   Reply With Quote