Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-26-2017, 02:28 PM   #541
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteMoss View Post
Calgary as the host city would come out ok, but are you going to be able to get the province and federal government on board since they are typically the big spenders here.
oh yeah. it's an even bigger party for politicians.
not to mention the image burnishing it allows them.
province and feds will pony up no problem.
GordonBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 02:31 PM   #542
RM14
First Line Centre

Exp:

Just think... In less than 9 years we can all go celebrate at a fully renovated Olympic Plaza downtown... Party it up in the Stampede entertainment district while we watch USA vs Canada (JG & Tkachuck vs. Monahan & Bennett). Take in the closing ceremonies at the brand new football/soccer stadium while they blow-up the Saddledome in the distance as part of the final fireworks to the closing ceremonies..
RM14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 02:38 PM   #543
jg13
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM14 View Post
Just think... In less than 9 years we can all go celebrate at a fully renovated Olympic Plaza downtown... Party it up in the Stampede entertainment district while we watch USA vs Canada (JG & Tkachuck vs. Monahan & Bennett). Take in the closing ceremonies at the brand new football/soccer stadium while they blow-up the Saddledome in the distance as part of the final fireworks to the closing ceremonies..
Not watching unless Hamilton is on the team too.
jg13 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jg13 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-26-2017, 02:51 PM   #544
Reaper
Franchise Player

Exp:

All I know is that I hope to be rocking my 2026 Olympic Parka with its incredibly dated colours twenty years later like a good Calgarian.
Old 04-26-2017, 02:51 PM   #545
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunk View Post
Calgary should have so much leverage over the IOC, it should be automatic. It should be "we'll bid, but we're only gonna do it our way". The IOC might have to bend. If they don't, screw 'em, we drop out.
I'm not sure I see it being that easy. One thing to keep in mind is that there's already an official bid from Switzerland, and it looks like Innsbruck, Austria will be bidding as well. So you have a couple of stable, traditional winter countries bidding this time. Japan looks to be in the mix still as well.

I agree that Calgary may have a bit of leverage, but it's not exactly "Do as we say, or you get to hold it in Kazakhstan".

2022 would've been an easier path.
Table 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Table 5 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-26-2017, 06:24 PM   #546
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've said this before, but I'd love to see no one bid at all. Let's see what happens when the IOC has literally zero cities interested in hosting. You want leverage over those crooks? That's how you do it, force them to come to us and not the other way around. In that scenario you might even force the IOC to chip in money for security.
Old 04-26-2017, 06:32 PM   #547
DionTheDman
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper View Post
All I know is that I hope to be rocking my 2026 Olympic Parka with its incredibly dated colours twenty years later like a good Calgarian.
I swear, if I had one of those badass Sun Ice jackets, I would still be wearing it now.
DionTheDman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DionTheDman For This Useful Post:
Old 04-26-2017, 06:48 PM   #548
Barnes
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DionTheDman View Post
I swear, if I had one of those badass Sun Ice jackets, I would still be wearing it now.
Forget the jacket. Get a trench coat.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/1988-Calgary-...YAAOSw6wRW~qoE
Barnes is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Barnes For This Useful Post:
Old 05-02-2017, 12:17 AM   #549
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Exploration Committee delivered its interim report to the City on Monday. It's not the final report, so there's no recommendation in it yet.

There isn't really anything new in the report. Although, it does clarify some things.

It looks like they'll be delivering their recommendation to city administration at the end of May and to Council in June.
Old 05-03-2017, 08:34 AM   #550
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

^ personally I am on pins and needles waiting for the final recommendation......
Old 05-03-2017, 04:35 PM   #551
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Rick Hanson was on with Rob Kerr yesterday talking about the process the committee is working through: http://www.sportsnet.ca/960/the-big-...y-olympic-bid/
Old 05-03-2017, 04:43 PM   #552
Lil Pedro
First Line Centre

Exp:

Really intrigued by that Hansen interview yesterday with Kerr; sounds like they want to have an answer for every objection when it comes to potentially hosting the Olympics, most notably finances, security and community involvement. I do like the idea of clustering venues to help reduce cost; potentially having most events on Stampede grounds and downtown area would be awesome if they could make it work somehow.
Lil Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 12:09 AM   #553
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

Totally random thought, related to the Calgary bid sure but more maybe a general IOC or bid question... With many cities not willing to host given the increased costs of security (which is the big difference over the 80's and 90's hosting of games, tripling (or more) the operating budget) why not give cities back to back games?

That city then, for 8-10 years would be the training ground for all athletes year round, both home country athletes and foreign athletes as well could set up camp here for an extended time. The state of the art facilities would get used for two Olympics, and of course all the training for those games.

Infrastructure,things like the athletes and media village would be better utilized, and the infrastructure would be forced to be better thought out with a longer term plan in mind from the beginning. Logistics and planning could be tweaked after the first games in time for the next games 4 years later.
It just seems that then you'd get more value out of the sports and other facilities and infrastructure by hosting/having them utilized for two Olympics at them rather then a two week shot as well as some training in the year before and the odd event yearly after, and the increased profile of the city as an amateur sport training ground for almost a decade.

Costs would be higher,but not double for hosting two, ,and again,there would be economic benefits such as tourism for having the city as a centre for ametuer sport and top class facilities.

IOC not likely to go for that given the reduce bid amounts that any city going for that,and for some reason they still want to spread it around. But the World Cup bid for Canada the US and Mexico shows that the dynamic is changing for hosting these high profile and high cost events as a one shot type deal.

Last edited by browna; 05-11-2017 at 12:13 AM.
browna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 05:46 AM   #554
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

World Cup expands by 16 more teams in 2026, so really there's maybe 5 countries in the world that can solo host. But when it comes to the 2026 World Cup bid, including Canada and Mexico is mostly about Murica using Canada and Mexico as quasi human shields to try and mitigate Trump in the bid process. If anything the IOC should be looking at establishing a rotation of host cities for summer/winter, but then they can't extract bribes and give the Olympics to dictatorships willing to spend tens of billions, and that's totally counter to the IOC's mission statement of "Corruption, we can't get enough".

Last edited by Senator Clay Davis; 05-11-2017 at 05:50 AM.
Senator Clay Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 01:42 PM   #555
Otto-matic
Franchise Player

Exp:

Gary Bobrovitz‏Verified account @garybtvnews 5m5 minutes ago
More
Calgary Olympics in 2026 would cost $4.6 billion up from $ 3.2 billion - City Council to discuss if bid goes forward @GlobalCalgary #YYC
Otto-matic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 02:00 PM   #556
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

Before making a gut reaction and condemning the whole thing...a few questions:
- How much is the IOC willing to chip in?
- Have they forecasted how much money they'll make/lose at the end of the day?
- Have they qualified the "benefits" the public sees in visitors/taxes/etc appropriately?
Mazrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 02:02 PM   #557
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto-matic View Post
Gary Bobrovitz‏Verified account @garybtvnews 5m5 minutes ago
More
Calgary Olympics in 2026 would cost $4.6 billion up from $ 3.2 billion - City Council to discuss if bid goes forward @GlobalCalgary #YYC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazrim View Post
- Have they qualified the "benefits" the public sees in visitors/taxes/etc appropriately?
What did it cost Vancouver? That cost seems insane.

The IOC is more of a 'Taker' than a 'Giver.'

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 02:12 PM   #558
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
What did it cost Vancouver? That cost seems insane.

The IOC is more of a 'Taker' than a 'Giver.'
According to Wikipedia, Vancouver 2010 cost $6.4B with $2.3B coming from taxpayers in some form. That includes all the infrastructure upgrades made in the area with the games and $1B in security. It also says they made money on it so take that as you will.

I don't think the Olympics has much of a future without some kind of handouts from IOC.
Mazrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 02:16 PM   #559
DJones
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazrim View Post
How much of the money is Federal is important too.

Free money for Alberta. They'll just spend it in the East otherwise.
DJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 02:16 PM   #560
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

$4.6B cost with $2.2B in generated revenue, so it would require $2.4B in additional funding.

http://calgaryherald.com/news/local-...tion-committee