Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-27-2017, 05:19 PM   #21
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

As much of a rat as Jarnkrok is, that is not a hit that warrants suspension. At least not under the NHL's current standards.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 05:20 PM   #22
sun
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quite surprised at the tone on CP regarding this incident. Disgusting sucker-punch. Deserved a couple more games IMO.
sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 05:21 PM   #23
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

^ I agree. Sort of like the Thornton incident from a couple years ago. Quite dirty.

TheScorpion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 05:22 PM   #24
bucksmasher
Scoring Winger

Exp:

A sucker punch is when you don't know you're going to get punched.
bucksmasher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to bucksmasher For This Useful Post:
Old 03-27-2017, 05:32 PM   #25
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sun View Post
Quite surprised at the tone on CP regarding this incident. Disgusting sucker-punch. Deserved a couple more games IMO.
The tone would be different if Jarnkrok wasn't a rat who ran Haley from behind and then tried to run and hide from the consequences.

Haley was definitely in the wrong, but there's no sympathetic party to this incident.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 06:41 PM   #26
sun
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucksmasher View Post
A sucker punch is when you don't know you're going to get punched.
Assuming for a moment this is true and applies to this scenario... then what do we call this style of punch? A punch to the face of an unwilling combatant? Serious question, I'm sure there is a name for it.

If it's not a sucker punch, then by definition Jarnkrok knew it was coming. Why didn't he... y'know... protect his face? Because he had a millisecond to react or because he didn't know it was coming or because he enjoys getting punched in the face by 200lb men?

Semantics aside, vigilante justice is gross. The punishment (bare knuckle punch to the face) doesn't match the crime (borderline 2 minute minor hit).

Don't watch much non-Flames hockey these days tbh. Jarnkrok is apparently the rat, but 332 PIMS in 126 games is the stat line that looks pretty dicey to me. Though, to be fair, 39 of those were in a single game...
sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 07:00 PM   #27
puckedoff
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Assuming for a moment this is true and applies to this scenario... then what do we call this style of punch? A punch to the face of an unwilling combatant? Serious question, I'm sure there is a name for it.

If it's not a sucker punch, then by definition Jarnkrok knew it was coming. Why didn't he... y'know... protect his face? Because he had a millisecond to react or because he didn't know it was coming or because he enjoys getting punched in the face by 200lb men?

Semantics aside, vigilante justice is gross. The punishment (bare knuckle punch to the face) doesn't match the crime (borderline 2 minute minor hit).

Don't watch much non-Flames hockey these days tbh. Jarnkrok is apparently the rat, but 332 PIMS in 126 games is the stat line that looks pretty dicey to me. Though, to be fair, 39 of those were in a single game...
I think the point is that it illustrates how disrespectful players have become. Jarnkrok thinks he can lay a dirty hit, and face no repercussions. In the older NHL, players respected their opponents more because they knew if they did that, they were definitely getting punched in the face.

The fact that Jarnkrok doesn't defend himself as Haley approaches is a condemnation to the way the game is reffed and league discipline.
puckedoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 07:49 PM   #28
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Sucker punch - An unexpected punch or blow

1. Hit the guy from behind
2. Guy flips out and chases after you
3. Guy drops his gloves in the process
4. Guy is pretty much a 30yo career goon

That punch should have 100% been expected, and if Jarnkrok thought turning away from him was going to somehow stop Healey from punching him, then he's an even bigger idiot than we thought.

Sure give Healey a suspension. But why let the chicken #### get away with a hit from behind?
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 03-27-2017, 07:56 PM   #29
BigBird
Backup Goalie

Exp:

I agree with the suspension but I also think Haley got off light on this one. No matter how mad he was he doesn't​ have the right to sucker punch a player.
BigBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 07:58 PM   #30
Mattman
First Line Centre

Exp:

What does this say about the NHL. That it's fine to take a cheap hit on an unsuspecting player? What's fair is fair.
To the kids watching this hit and this situation, if you hit then expect to get hit back. Don't want to get hit back? Then don't play like a jerk.

NHL got it wrong.
Old 03-27-2017, 08:12 PM   #31
flamesfan1297
First Line Centre

Exp:

The sub titles on these videos always make me laugh. They are so far off.

Halloween candy is horrifying.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anduril View Post
"Putting nets on puck."

- Ferland 2016
flamesfan1297 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 08:28 PM   #32
Clarkey
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Tkachuk elbows dude in chest while defending his puck possession and to avoid getting creamed... get's 2 games.

Dude visciously hits other dude from behind... 0 games.

Dude chases other dude around after the whistle, punches other dude square on in the nose... 1 game.
Clarkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 08:35 PM   #33
Cleveland Steam Whistle
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Bad at fighting maybe? It's nice to look at everything in isolation, but as per usual in life, context is everything. And in the context of what happened on that play, I have no issue with that punch. If Jarnkrok didn't know that was coming, that's his own fault.

I also have no issue with the league suspending for that punch, my issue is they find that punch more concerning than the hit (evidently). The hit was more dangerous IMO. Someone said that hit doesn't warrant a suspension by NHL current standards and I agree. But I'm not sure the DoPS has evaluted the dangers on the ice properly if they think that punch is a bigger concer than those type of hits from behind.
Cleveland Steam Whistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 09:49 AM   #34
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

nvm

Last edited by Robbob; 03-28-2017 at 09:52 AM.
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote