Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 08-15-2017, 06:15 PM   #1721
Wastedyouth
Truculent!

Exp:

I've got to do some redlining of engineering documents onsite in the next 3 months.

Wondering if anyone has used an iPad Pro with the pencil for this? It would save me hours of work if I could just redline and markup the pdfs!
Wastedyouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 06:25 PM   #1722
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

I'm no expert on this, but wouldn't a Surface Pro be better suited to Engineering related work and redlining, considering you can actually install programs Engineers use?
Mazrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 06:28 PM   #1723
Nage Waza
Offered up a bag of cans for a custom user title

Exp:

I have experience with both the Ipad Pro and the Surface. The Surface has been gathering dust for over a year due to assorted usability issues.

I have not used the Pro for redlining, but I imagine it could. The latest version (about to buy a new one) should do what you want. Why would it save you work though?
Nage Waza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 09:29 PM   #1724
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken0042 View Post
Earlier somebody else posted that you'd be lucky to get $40 for it. I think the biggest variable in the cost of the phone is the condition of the charging cable.
Other than it having two small puncture marks from when my cat decided to bite on it the charging cable works fine.
Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 08:44 AM   #1725
Wastedyouth
Truculent!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nage Waza View Post
I have experience with both the Ipad Pro and the Surface. The Surface has been gathering dust for over a year due to assorted usability issues.

I have not used the Pro for redlining, but I imagine it could. The latest version (about to buy a new one) should do what you want. Why would it save you work though?
The company I work for is ridiculous with its doc control and drive to go green. So they want us redlining and as-builting our drawings on our laptops rather than printing off the drawings onsite and then rescanning the redlined document, It actually does save a bit of time on quick markups. We were in the middle of Iraq last job and getting a proper printer and scanner to site was a massive pain.

I am just trying to find ways to streamline using digital doc mark ups rather than manual.

The Preview app on the Macs is actually quite handy for marking up PDFs, which the majority of our engineering drawings are transmitted as.
Wastedyouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 07:33 AM   #1726
gasman
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wastedyouth View Post
The company I work for is ridiculous with its doc control and drive to go green. So they want us redlining and as-builting our drawings on our laptops rather than printing off the drawings onsite and then rescanning the redlined document, It actually does save a bit of time on quick markups. We were in the middle of Iraq last job and getting a proper printer and scanner to site was a massive pain.

I am just trying to find ways to streamline using digital doc mark ups rather than manual.

The Preview app on the Macs is actually quite handy for marking up PDFs, which the majority of our engineering drawings are transmitted as.

We use surfaces with bluebeam to mark up engineering drawings, works great, and bluebeam keeps a log with who made every markup and includes a system so when you hand over to a drafter they can check off that every markup was captured.
gasman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 08:39 AM   #1727
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diemenz View Post
https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B01N75EALQ

Buy that and call it a day. If you wreck that cable there is no cable out there that will make you happy haha. If you pull it out by the cord or use it while plugged in you will drastically reduce the lifespan of a cord because that consistent reparative stress no cord can take.
If Calgaryblood wrecks that cable, he needs to research Qi charging. IIRC, it was around $20-30 bucks for the components to set up an apple device to do Qi charging. You just needed a case that could hide the components in the back. For a little more, you can get ones like this with it built i, but you need to buy a Qi docking station afterwards as well.

https://www.amazon.ca/iPhone-Nillkin...charging+apple

Here's the original kit types I was looking into once upon a time.

https://www.amazon.ca/iPhone-Wireles...charging+apple

The only annoying thing is disconnecting the Qi module to plug in a lightning cable if you need to transfer info. But... less frayed cables?
DoubleF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 08:16 PM   #1728
MrDJZak
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Shameless self promotion. I received the latest mockup of the iPhone 8 (or whatever they call it - might be Edition, X or just iPhone).

It looks and feels great. No bezels. Have a look.

MrDJZak is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MrDJZak For This Useful Post:
Old 08-28-2017, 08:48 AM   #1729
MrDJZak
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Apple is reportedly holding a product event on Sept. 12.

https://www.cnbc.com/amp/2017/08/28/...g-sources.html
Old 08-31-2017, 05:06 PM   #1730
MrDJZak
Backup Goalie

Exp:

^
https://mobilesyrup.com/2017/08/31/a...september-12th

Last edited by MrDJZak; 08-31-2017 at 05:20 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to MrDJZak For This Useful Post:
Old 09-01-2017, 05:21 AM   #1731
MrDJZak
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Here's a follow-up video on the new iPhone.

I'm 100% confident that the new iPhone will be called iPhone X or iPhone X Edition.

Info in the video.

Old 09-01-2017, 08:11 AM   #1732
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDJZak View Post
Here's a follow-up video on the new iPhone.

I'm 100% confident that the new iPhone will be called iPhone X or iPhone X Edition.

Info in the video.

Thanks for the videos. Any information about what kind of updates the 7s might have?
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 08:45 AM   #1733
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

The mockup you have of the iPhone X- how does it compare in physical size to the iPhone 7? I don't want a phone much bigger than my current 6, but would really love to have the better camera.
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 02:57 PM   #1734
MrDJZak
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken0042 View Post
The mockup you have of the iPhone X- how does it compare in physical size to the iPhone 7? I don't want a phone much bigger than my current 6, but would really love to have the better camera.
It feels a bit wider and about the same thickness. Height is about the same, or at least feels like it. Biggest factor will be the screen to body ratio. Just like the Galaxy S8, this new iPhone will be all screen and next to no bezel.

The first video I posted does a side-by-side comparison. Sorry, I don't have any exact dimensions.
Old 09-01-2017, 02:59 PM   #1735
MrDJZak
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
Thanks for the videos. Any information about what kind of updates the 7s might have?
7s & 7s Plus are supposed to be the exact same form factor as the 7 and 7 Plus, but with glass backs to support wireless charging. Improved processor and other internals are a given (like past 's' models).
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MrDJZak For This Useful Post:
Old 09-01-2017, 03:21 PM   #1736
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
7s & 7s Plus are supposed to be the exact same form factor as the 7 and 7 Plus, but with glass backs to support wireless charging. Improved processor and other internals are a given (like past 's' models).

Any possibility that the non-plus version will have a better camera?
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 03:33 PM   #1737
Jbo
NOT a cool kid

Exp:

For the first time ever, have not really seen enough to justify an upgrade.

If the "Pro" model has an OLED screen that is pretty awesome, but at 1300-1400 bucks CAD, not sure I can justify it
Jbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 04:02 PM   #1738
MrDJZak
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
Any possibility that the non-plus version will have a better camera?
Based on the leaked information it looks like a camera upgrade across the board for all new phones.

***Guys, I need to be really clear: I'm answering these questions based on the leaked information that has come out. Sources that are proven reliable in past and articles that everyone has access to.

Here are some of the sources. I've also listed these in the video descriptions.

► Forbes articles:

Massive iPhone Leaks Confirm 25 New Features
http://bit.ly/2tqxNpF

iPhone 8 Exclusive: Apple's New Design 'Confirmed'
http://bit.ly/2euylZz

Apple Leaks 'Confirm' iPhone 8 Release Date
http://bit.ly/2xCgvbv

Apple Leak Reveals New iPhone Is Massive
http://bit.ly/2eoDhv4

► 9To5Mac

New video & renders showcase iPhone 8’s new dock, multitasking interface & more
http://bit.ly/2eK2l09
Old 09-02-2017, 08:13 AM   #1739
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbo View Post
For the first time ever, have not really seen enough to justify an upgrade.

If the "Pro" model has an OLED screen that is pretty awesome, but at 1300-1400 bucks CAD, not sure I can justify it
I think you're underestimating how awesome wireless charging is. Have had it for years on my Samsung phones and absolutely love it. Never fumbling for a cord, just setting the phone down on my night table and picking it up fully charged. No cords dangling all over the place. I could never get a phone without it...it's my favourite feature.

I'd say this is the only substantive change iPhone's have made since the finger print scanner. Just need to make them waterproof and they'll be competitive with phones from 2014.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 01:15 PM   #1740
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

Quote:
***Guys, I need to be really clear: I'm answering these questions based on the leaked information that has come out. Sources that are proven reliable in past and articles that everyone has access to.
I certainly appreciate your insight. It's good to have a trusted source giving me their "best guess."
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ken0042 For This Useful Post: