Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Got a broom?
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2022, 11:35 AM   #3
starseed
First Line Centre

Exp:

And why don't they get a job? There are so many out there. When I was a kid it was very tough to find one, now we have to beg them to pour coffee in Tim Hortons.

Sent from my SM-N986U1 using Tapatalk
starseed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2022, 11:35 AM   #4
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggie Dunlop View Post
They need to get off my lawn.
You are imagining things, they are all on electronic devices wasting away. We need more kids out on people's lawns.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post:
Old 09-20-2022, 11:36 AM   #5
calf
broke the first rule

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
You are imagining things, they are all on electronic devices wasting away. We need more kids out on people's lawns.
We're all on electronic devices wasting away
calf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to calf For This Useful Post:
Old 09-20-2022, 11:49 AM   #6
Superflyer
Close, but no banana.

Exp:

Superflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Superflyer For This Useful Post:
Old 09-20-2022, 12:14 PM   #7
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

I meet many of the new hires every year when we hold a welcome session and every year during cocktails I'm told by some that their goal is to become a partner in our firm in 5 years. Great to have big goals, but let's be realistic!
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to activeStick For This Useful Post:
Old 09-20-2022, 12:54 PM   #8
starseed
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by activeStick View Post
I meet many of the new hires every year when we hold a welcome session and every year during cocktails I'm told by some that their goal is to become a partner in our firm in 5 years. Great to have big goals, but let's be realistic!
Seriously. No work ethic, and expect everything immediately. The instant gratification generation.

starseed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2022, 01:06 PM   #9
ResAlien
Lifetime In Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by starseed View Post
Seriously. No work ethic, and expect everything immediately. The instant gratification generation.

Probably worth looking at the people who raised them that way. Those are the nimrods who had the biggest hand in it
ResAlien is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to ResAlien For This Useful Post:
Old 09-20-2022, 01:09 PM   #10
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ResAlien View Post
Probably worth looking at the people who raised them that way. Those are the nimrods who had the biggest hand in it
People who actively took part in raising and setting up life for the next generation: “Oh wow, who raised this generation? They suck.”
PepsiFree is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2022, 01:17 PM   #11
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
On the flipside, I've also met a ton of smart grads who, yes, are ambitious, but also very bright and hardworking. There's just as many "experienced" older generation who refuses to change and are set in their out of date ways.

Bottom line: new gen, old gen, it doesn't really matter. They equally have a portion of their demographics that suck.
The Yen Man is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to The Yen Man For This Useful Post:
Old 09-20-2022, 01:39 PM   #12
D as in David
First Line Centre

Exp:

Send them all to coffee shops but don't let them loiter.
D as in David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2022, 02:22 PM   #13
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yen Man View Post
On the flipside, I've also met a ton of smart grads who, yes, are ambitious, but also very bright and hardworking. There's just as many "experienced" older generation who refuses to change and are set in their out of date ways.

Bottom line: new gen, old gen, it doesn't really matter. They equally have a portion of their demographics that suck.
I agree and for the record, I never said they any of the new gen was lazy.

Lazy people are multi-generational!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to activeStick For This Useful Post:
Old 09-20-2022, 02:36 PM   #14
kevman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by starseed View Post

Quite the opposite in my opinion.

Kids today have it so hard. Society as a whole has ratcheted up the baseline expectations of kids coming out of school to an almost unachievable level. I continue to be blown away by the resumes that come across my desk. Fantastic GPAs, numerous committees, countless volunteer activities, highly competitive in sports and activities, etc. It feels impossible for kids to get ahead.

And then there are sports. Kids specialize from such a young age that they've almost missed the boat by the time they're old enough to even know what sports they're interested in. Gone are the days of gifted athletes having balanced lives. If you're not training full time after school in lieu of a social life you don't stand a chance.

I feel bad for kids these days.
kevman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to kevman For This Useful Post:
Old 09-20-2022, 02:39 PM   #15
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevman View Post
Quite the opposite in my opinion.

Kids today have it so hard. Society as a whole has ratcheted up the baseline expectations of kids coming out of school to an almost unachievable level. I continue to be blown away by the resumes that come across my desk. Fantastic GPAs, numerous committees, countless volunteer activities, highly competitive in sports and activities, etc. It feels impossible for kids to get ahead.

And then there are sports. Kids specialize from such a young age that they've almost missed the boat by the time they're old enough to even know what sports they're interested in. Gone are the days of gifted athletes having balanced lives. If you're not training full time after school in lieu of a social life you don't stand a chance.

I feel bad for kids these days.
People continue to work much harder for less and less reward. The only generation that was ever given anything to them was the baby boomers. Just about any boomer with a job could afford a house. The value of those houses have now skyrocketed giving them immense wealth after having done no work for it.

If you compare work output and hours worked now vs 30 years ago, every metric shows people working harder now, and for much less absolute value.

Edit: As far as behaviour goes, young people seem much tamer now. I'm obviously not talking about people in projects in Chicago, but the kids I'm exposed to. We used to do awful things. We'd throw major house parties with 100+ people crammed into a rental property. The neighbours were relatively cool...and even then some jack *** would up the jerk level to an 11 by doing things like purposely smashing bottles or urinated on the neighbour's property.

Last edited by blankall; 09-20-2022 at 02:42 PM.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to blankall For This Useful Post:
Old 09-20-2022, 02:50 PM   #16
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Side note: my wife’s firm wonders why all their good new hires leave and can’t figure out their terrible company culture is to blame.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Weitz For This Useful Post:
Old 09-20-2022, 03:20 PM   #17
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
Side note: my wife’s firm wonders why all their good new hires leave and can’t figure out their terrible company culture is to blame.
Could be that or it could be a hot market (for strong technical resources) where people are leaving for a lot more money somewhere else (not always a good choice). Could be many things. We've had people leave and then come back 6 months later because the grass isn't always greener even with the pay bump.
Old 09-20-2022, 03:29 PM   #18
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
This really cuts both ways. You're probably getting a lot of people with delusional expectations, because those are the only people entering certain types of employment.

When people actually break down the numbers for many professions like lawyer, accountant, etc.. they are so overwhelmingly bad, only a delusional person would ever pursue those careers. $80-100k/year to work 70ish hours a week and you're expected to do that for 5-10 years before seeing any kind of significant pay raise, and even then the partners in many of the firms are only making $140-180k.

You'd have to have a pretty big ego to look into that abyss and see yourself getting ahead.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2022, 03:32 PM   #19
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

I blame TikTok
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2022, 03:38 PM   #20
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Kids today rule. I would love to go back in time to 1991 - 1994 high school with the tolerance and acceptance of a 2022 kid. I can't imagine how it must have felt for the gay kids - as an example - who had to hide who they were and listen to us bat around the word "gay" as a disparaging word. There were some kids you kind of thought were gay, but as nobody was out, it would just be whispers. How rad would it be for a gay kid back then to have the support of his peers and friends. That's a big regret I have...that we weren't approachable enough on that topic for even a single member of my grade 12 class to come out. At least at that time I think most thoughtful people understood it wasn't a choice, but you'd have thought we could have taken that extra step to be supportive.

Kids now have been inundated with bad news since the time they were born. 9/11. The Great Recession. Super high grades required for university. Housing prices are insane. Half of them don't even dream of buying a house; they hope to be able to afford to live in a fataing school bus or tiny home one day.

Trump was a downer. The rise of right-wing extremism and intolerance. Covid-19. What a tough go for this generation.

I know other generations have had it worse (WWI, WWII, Great Depression, etc.), but compared to Boomers and Gen Xers, I think it's way tougher being a teen now than what other generations still alive had to deal with (in Canada, at least).

Climate change is starting to hit us all. Prices on everything have gone through the roof. It's difficult to predict what the future will be in a way that wasn't hard when I was growing up. It was pretty much: go to university (reasonably easy and affordable to do), get a good job, buy a house at ~25-27, and you'll be set for life. That's what basically all my friends did and they're all doing well. Young people now don't have such a simple path laid out for them.

And social media? Ugh, no thanks.

Anyway, I have a lot of 15 and 16 year-olds coming through my house and they're all awesome.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
edmonton is no good