Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 07-20-2017, 08:39 PM   #1161
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Before the tournament, if you had asked me if I would be happy with a quarterfinal appearance, I would have been happy. But after the quality we saw in the round robin, the loss to Jamaica is very disappointed. IMO, Canada dominated the game, but Jamaica's finishing in the final third was supreme compared to Canada's.

On the bright side, we got 30 people to our watch party at Home & Away. Of course, I didn't know 15 of them, but still...

shermanator is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to shermanator For This Useful Post:
Old 07-20-2017, 08:47 PM   #1162
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

I thought Jamaica had more people, but population is less than 3M. Less people than Montreal.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 09:39 PM   #1163
CofR
Olympic Guru

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shermanator View Post
Before the tournament, if you had asked me if I would be happy with a quarterfinal appearance, I would have been happy. But after the quality we saw in the round robin, the loss to Jamaica is very disappointed. IMO, Canada dominated the game, but Jamaica's finishing in the final third was supreme compared to Canada's.

On the bright side, we got 30 people to our watch party at Home & Away. Of course, I didn't know 15 of them, but still...
I hope for the days when there's 100 people at a watch party and you don't know 50!
CofR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 09:00 AM   #1164
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CofR View Post
I hope for the days when there's 100 people at a watch party and you don't know 50!
Watch parties are weird. For some games 5 people show up, and for other games 30 people show up. Was a pretty good atmosphere, if you ignore the numerous complaints about Canada's play of course.

Old 07-21-2017, 09:08 AM   #1165
MillerTime GFG
First Line Centre

Exp:

Certainly is nice to have some real optimism about the squad. Davies (knock on wood) looks to be the real deal. Hopefully he's just the first wave of some new kids coming through the ranks.

I was only able to watch the first half, but I thought the back line really struggled to keep up with the pace of the Jamaican strikers, as well as their size. They lost a lot of balls in the air on goal kicks/long balls from the back, which put a lot of pressure on the back line.

Canada did look like the better team overall though, from what I saw. It's nice to see the other team sit back and let Canada knock the ball around, rather than the other way around. Keep controlling the ball and good things are going to happen more often than not. Just happened to be the latter in this one.
MillerTime GFG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MillerTime GFG For This Useful Post:
Old 07-22-2017, 03:03 AM   #1166
Party Elephant
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Watch parties are weird. For some games 5 people show up, and for other games 30 people show up. Was a pretty good atmosphere, if you ignore the numerous complaints about Canada's play of course.
Back when I lived in Calgary it would usually just be me and like 3 or 4 others. Good work!
Party Elephant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 12:57 PM   #1167
Matty81
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

It seems like they have lots of options in attack now and if they can convince Tabla there will be a real solid foundation for a decade or so now at every attacking position. Their possession play was refreshing and lots of reasons for optimism.

Ironically the defensive strength of our old teams are now the weaknesses of this one. Our backline is slow and technically, not great. James is about the only guy I was at all impressed with and even he is just passing grade, also no great prospects out there with Tomori leaving and Henry permainjured except maybe Cordova, Adekugbe looks OK as well I guess. Lots of guys who could push through but no sure things.

Jakovic looks like he has fallen off. Vittoria moves like a 90 year old. Right back depth is scary. Petrasso can defend against the weaker teams but if he is playing against Mexico or the US I think playing him out of position will end badly.

DM - Piette played great, I hope he finally pushes on to a better level club wise and continue to develop, feel like he's stagnating in the Spanish 3rd div a bit and I am always surprised he hasn't had better offers, he seems pretty capable. With the Hutch-De Guz-Bernier midfield gone now it seems like central mid could use another front line player. Amazing how Arfield came to the program out of nowhere and is now a lynchpin.

Keeper is thin, where's Craig Forrest when we need him - they're playing a Bulgarian league keeper who is passing grade to be fair, but if Borjan goes down god help them options are basically a bunch of youth players and Leutwiler. FU Begovic.

I think if Canada can develop a couple defenders and at least have someone on the radar in net who is getting first team action they can qualify next time around but watching them in this tourney D seems like a real Achilles heal going forward.
Matty81 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Matty81 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-02-2017, 10:49 AM   #1168
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Leutwiler, just joined Blackburn.
http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/40802767
cam_wmh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 09:49 AM   #1169
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Piette has joined the Impact on a 2.5 year deal with an option for 2020. He'll be a big boost to their aging midfield.

https://www.impactmontreal.com/en/po...e-joins-impact

Old 08-10-2017, 11:11 AM   #1170
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Quote:
Piette has joined the Impact on a 2.5 year deal with an option for 2020. He'll be a big boost to their aging midfield.

https://www.impactmontreal.com/en/po...e-joins-impact
I always thought he wasn't a good player and couldn't figure out why Floro always put him in the lineup.

Once he was actually allowed to go forward a little bit, what a difference. He looked like a different player during the Gold Cup.
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 11:28 AM   #1171
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Bumface View Post
I always thought he wasn't a good player and couldn't figure out why Floro always put him in the lineup.

Once he was actually allowed to go forward a little bit, what a difference. He looked like a different player during the Gold Cup.
Piette often looked bad under Floro because he was played in a more advanced midfield role that wasn't to his strengths. His game is solely suited to a destroyer role, a holding mid protecting the back four. The one time I saw Piette in that role under Floro that I remember (against Dominica mind you), he was tremendous.

Piette is not good at getting forward, but I thought he and Arfield linked up well in midfield in the Scotland and Curacao friendlies as well as the Gold Cup. Let Piette do the dirty work to intercept the ball and let Arfield get the ball up field. Those two will be staples of the national team for a long time to come.

In his debut game with the Impact, he was tremendous in that role, playing better than any of Donadel, Bernardello or Mallace (with their Serie A and Liga MX experience), and was named to the MLS team of the week.

IMO, Piette will break JDG's national team caps record before he turns 30.

Old 08-20-2017, 06:30 PM   #1172
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Squad announced for Canada vs Jamaica on Sept 2. Johnson was injured last night and will miss the next 2-4 weeks. Borjan, Arfield, Vitoria and Cavallini were not called to allow them to stay with their clubs during the start of their seasons.

CANADA
1- GK- Simon Thomas | NOR / FK Bodø/Glimt
2- FB- Nik Ledgerwood | CAN / FC Edmonton
3- CB- Manjrekar James | HUN / Vasas Budapest
4- FB- Michael Petrasso | ENG / Queens Park Rangers
5- CB- Dejan Jaković | USA / New York Cosmos
6- M- Samuel Piette | CAN / Impact Montréal FC
7- FB- Samuel Adekugbe | SWE / IFK Göteborg (on loan from Vancouver Whitecaps FC)
8- M- Will Johnson | USA / Orlando City SC
9- F- Tosaint Ricketts | CAN / Toronto FC
10- M- David Junior Hoilett | WAL / Cardiff City FC
11- F- Cyle Larin | USA / Orlando City SC
12- M- Alphonso Davies | CAN / Vancouver Whitecaps FC
13- M- Atiba Hutchinson | TUR / Beşiktaş JK
14- M- Mark-Anthony Kaye | USA / Louisville City FC
15- CB- Amer Didic | USA / Sporting Kansas City
16- F- Anthony Jackson-Hamel | CAN / Impact Montréal FC
17- FB- Marcel de Jong | CAN / Vancouver Whitecaps FC
18- GK- Jayson Leutwiler | ENG / Blackburn Rovers
20- M- Raheem Edwards | CAN / Toronto FC
21- M- Jonathan Osorio | CAN / Toronto FC
22- GK- James Pantemis | CAN / Impact Montréal FC
23- M- Tesho Akindele | USA / FC Dallas
24- M- David Choinière | CAN / Impact Montréal FC
25- M- Jay Chapman | CAN / Toronto FC

http://www.canadasoccer.com/canada-s...quad-for-home-match-at-bmo-field-p161090

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to shermanator For This Useful Post:
Old 08-29-2017, 01:36 PM   #1173
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Looks like Zambrano is putting in some work on getting some big additions to the national team. Ferreira would instantly be the top CB on the depth chart, and Cristante would be a big add to the midfield in attack.

John Molinaro‏Verified account @JohnMolinaro 2h2 hours ago
Zambrano says he's making strides in getting Ricardo Ferreira & Bryan Cristante to play for #canMNT. Progress made but work still to do.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to shermanator For This Useful Post:
Old 09-02-2017, 06:59 PM   #1174
M*A*S*H 4077
Franchise Player

Exp:

I saw the first half and Canada looked quite good, just tuned in for the last few minutes and see Davies got sent off, can anyone find a video of it?
M*A*S*H 4077 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 07:22 PM   #1175
Party Elephant
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by M*A*S*H 4077 View Post
I saw the first half and Canada looked quite good, just tuned in for the last few minutes and see Davies got sent off, can anyone find a video of it?
I don't have a video, but Davies was brought down near the corner flag by a pretty hard tackle that could've been a foul on its own, and kicked out in frustration catching the defender in the face. Didn't argue as he knew it right away and pulled his shirt up over his face as he walked off. Hopefully it's a lesson learned for him and better to learn it in a friendly than an important WCQ.

The first half was definitely the more entertaining half but there was some good attacking play in the second as well. I thought Hoillett and Piette were the best players on the pitch. Hoillett was creative and dangerous every time he had the ball, and Piette broke up so many attacks before they got started.
Party Elephant is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Party Elephant For This Useful Post:
Old 09-03-2017, 09:53 AM   #1176
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Jamaican defender made a meal out of the kick out (didn't actually catch him in the face on the replay), but it was still a very immature thing for Davies to do, and a definite red card. A rough 6 minutes for the kid last night.

Hoilett was MOTM for me. Piette is an absolute stud at DM. Thought Leutwiler was good when called upon. Jackson-Hamel is clutch in front of net, and in my books is #1 on the depth chart at forward right now. Given that he can actually finish his chances, and neither Larin nor Cavallini can, he should be starting for now.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to shermanator For This Useful Post:
Old 09-03-2017, 08:42 PM   #1177
Johnny199r
First Line Centre

Exp:

Good game. Then again, Canada is usually good at friendlies.
Johnny199r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 09:24 PM   #1178
Mango
Marshmallow Maiden

Exp:

Quote:
Hoilett was MOTM for me.
Hoilett was superb. It was awesome to see him so engaged and passionate last night. The solid start to his pro season has done wonders for his confidence.
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 02:40 PM   #1179
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

So, Will Johnson was just arrested for domestic battery. Don't think he will be called up for a while.

http://www.wftv.com/sports/orlando-c...al_twitter_sfp

Old 09-06-2017, 02:42 PM   #1180
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
So, Will Johnson was just arrested for domestic battery. Don't think he will be called up for a while.

http://www.wftv.com/sports/orlando-c...al_twitter_sfp
Florida? Florida.

Not even once...

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote