Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 07-05-2017, 12:24 PM   #61
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
nope and that's entirely fair.

I would expect that even indy work is different, in football its all positions.

So to give an example of practice planning

6:30 -6:40 warmup
6:40 - 7:00 Safe contact/safe tackling
7:00 - 7:35 - Indy positions

IE running backs
run to the hole
ball tackling
pass protect

7:45 - 8:00 - insertion
8:00 - 8:20 - scrimmage
8:20 - 8:30 special teams
8:30 cooldown

I would assume that with soccer the indy time or skills time would be way more prevalent wouldn't it?
First of all, holy crap are your practices long. 2 hours? We were lucky to get one hour so I'd tend to have the kids show up early so we get the warmups out of the way before we started our field time.

Individual skills werent as important because positions in soccer arent nearly as regimented as they are in Football especially at younger age groups.

Sometimes a kid gets hurt and you have someone totally unexpected playing in net or defence or as a striker.

Its less about learning your position and more about learning the flow of the game, that is until you get to higher age/skill levels and then its a different story because the goals are different.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 07-05-2017, 12:36 PM   #62
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

2 hours a night 4 nights a week until school and the season start, then its down to 3 nights a week and we cut a half hour off of practice.

Mostly from indy time because their skills should be good by then.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 04:00 PM   #63
Mccree
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
THat is what i am doing now but my writing is only readable by me haha. I wasn't able to make a practice and my assistant coach couldn't read my plan so they scrimmaged for an hour.

Mccree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mccree For This Useful Post:
Old 07-05-2017, 08:02 PM   #64
BOSSY
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
So just for fun, now that camp is done, and I have some downtime until the end of July and our next training camp. I've been playing around with a lot of different offensive looks, right now we run all of our plays out of multiple formations that give us different looks and feels,

We run an ace tight end balanced, trips, we run bunch, and we run a tight that almost looks like a wishbone. We also run an I strong.

So here's the rub, I don't have a lot of experience at the skills position, that's fine and most of our plays are pretty standard.

But I always like to have something special that I can insert when I need it, that's why I have one version of my playbook and the players and other coaches have the standardized version. My playbook has everything I've ever thought of in it.

Last year, I watched the US Naval Academy play and I loved their offense, its based on a triple option, which puts the onus on the QB to make good decisions and make reads. Now like I mentioned, inexperienced QB, so I might teach him some read option this year. But I'd love to be able to pull out something unexpected at some point whether this year or next year.

So even if you don't coach football, or are a casual football fan. I'm going to give a base look and a couple of plays and you can tell me if I'm nuts or if this is way too complex. This is basically I'm bouncing this off of you guys to help me think this through post

First of all the base look

Notes

My tight end will always line up on the strong run side of the field unless its a pass play. I can run this under center or pistol. There is very little motion.

one option plays (pass or run plays) are rare, most plays have the option for the QB to either pass, hand off, toss or take the ball and go.

Ok play one

Triple Option Veer 33 lead dive

Notes

The Quarterbacks main read is the left side Tight End. If the left side TE makes a crash to the 3 back, then the QB takes the ball out of the three backs chest and has the option to either run out the end, or toss to the four back. If the DE shoots for the QB or stays in contain the QB gives the ball to the 3 back who follows the lead through the two hole.

This play can also be reversed and becomes a triple option veer 42 lead dive

Ok so in terms of something more complex. a Option can have elements of pass and run. So this play would be called a

Triple Option Veer (undercenter of pistol) 87 TE Arrow, 4-3 37 option toss.

So basically

X runs an 8
Y runs a 7
The TE runs a modified arrow and is lined up on the run strong side.
The 4 runs a modified 3
The 2 back is backside pass protect
the three back runs a toss sweep to the 7 hole.

So here's the decision, the offensive tackle ignores the left side DE. The QB needs to read him. If he crashes, the the QB has the option to take the ball and run, or toss to the 3.

If de contains, the QB has the option to stay in and pass, the 3 back can now act as a swing pass as well.

Ok last one

This is the triple option pistol 26 counter 37 option toss

Ok, I think this almost has to be run pistol

The 2 back is going to run a counter motion in front of the QB so its a forward ride and decide handoff. The left guard is going to pull. At the start both ends are left alone. The QB's first read is to the counter side (right side). If the defensive end contains up field then the counter is the play and the hand off happens, the pulling guard needs to clear out the DE. If the DE crashes to running back or QB, then the QB reads the left side DE end on the move and decides to hang onto the ball and the 3 back then lead blocks to the first opportunity. Or if the left DE steps to the QB (the 5 technique is tough at our level because kids are impatient). Then the QB tosses to the 3 back to the 7 hole.

Anyways, its something I'm working on, I might not even get it to my play book or rotation this year, but I'd love to know if you guys think . . . right track or too nuts.

Holy the play names seem overly complicated... not sure if that is what you call them or how they are called by the QB in the huddle... This is coming from the Cowboys second ever QB!!!

For Bantam aged kids does it make more sense to give the plays a simpler name and teach the players their individual responsibilities?

Don't get me wrong I'm not trying to be critical just trying to understand... When I played plays were things like 28 Sweep or Double Dive right... still complex plays but made it easier on the players - especially young players - to remember and know responsibilities...
BOSSY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 12:20 AM   #65
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Nope that's fair feedback.

This offensive set is outside of my normal playbook. Normally our play calls are simple.

Usually the play calls are started with the formation, and then whether its pistol or under center.

Then on run plays its the back and what hole.

So for example

I formation under center 32 lead dive.

Or

Ace formation pistol 48 jet

Or if its a trips right run play something like

Ace formation right under center 21 dive.

For passing plays, same idea.

formation undercenter/pistol the quick means a three step drop with no play action then the four passing routes from left to right.

So a all 5's balance would be

Ace formation pistol quick 5555

If its trips right

Ace formation right quick pistol 5555.

If we're for example running a balanced ace with a tight end arrow. It would be

Ace formation pistol quick 5555 TE right.

Or a HB out left would be

Ace formation pistol quick 5555 hb left

It there's a play action element for example like a 3 back fake to the 3 hole

It would be

Ace formation pistol action 33 5555.

The kids seem to like that because they don't have to memorize plays, they have to know their position label and the line knows the holes.

The advantage of the option is that there are really only 4 plays that I would run.

But you're right the call is complex

Its formation, line assignment, under center or pistol, then the wide receiver assignments. Then the individual backs assignments. So

Triple Option Veer (undercenter of pistol) 87 TE Arrow, 4-3 37 option toss.

the formation call is apparent

Veer means that the line veers to the left (3 hole) the 87 are the X and Y receiver routes. the 4-3 means that the 4 back is the option back to the 3 hole. the 3 back toss motions to the 7 hole and the QB has already been taught the read progressions for this to work.

But you're right, it does need work.

The likely hood is that we're going to run our normal offense, because we can basically run about 50 easy plays with different formations, so it looks like 150 plays. We had a lot of success with that playbook last year. The kids really liked it as well.

There's a couple of teams that the veer option would really exploit what they're doing. That's the temptation.

Last edited by CaptainCrunch; 07-06-2017 at 12:22 AM.
Old 07-30-2017, 10:56 PM   #66
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Well, the off season went by in a hurry and the season starts up tomorrow. With a minimum of 13 weeks and a maximum of 16 weeks things are about to get busy.

With a offense that's made of 3 veterans and 13 rookies, it should be an interesting challenge.

Thankfully, and I wouldn't have said this last year, I have the month of August with about 4 nights a week to insert the offense. Last year with a veteran laden offense it was easy, this year it basically starts with me holding up a football and saying "This is a football".

I think that there will be a ton of challenges this year as we have to develop a QB who has never played the position, a offensive line that might not be overly big, but I'm pretty sure that we'll figure it out. I'm excited by some of the raw talent.

I always go into the season thinking that this is about more then just x's and o's and developing football players. If we can build up some confidence, and instill some dicipline and personal pride then the record doesn't matter as much (Ok, the record does matter).

Old 07-31-2017, 03:44 PM   #67
Mccree
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Well, the off season went by in a hurry and the season starts up tomorrow. With a minimum of 13 weeks and a maximum of 16 weeks things are about to get busy.

With a offense that's made of 3 veterans and 13 rookies, it should be an interesting challenge.

Thankfully, and I wouldn't have said this last year, I have the month of August with about 4 nights a week to insert the offense. Last year with a veteran laden offense it was easy, this year it basically starts with me holding up a football and saying "This is a football".

I think that there will be a ton of challenges this year as we have to develop a QB who has never played the position, a offensive line that might not be overly big, but I'm pretty sure that we'll figure it out. I'm excited by some of the raw talent.

I always go into the season thinking that this is about more then just x's and o's and developing football players. If we can build up some confidence, and instill some dicipline and personal pride then the record doesn't matter as much (Ok, the record does matter).
That is what I say every season. Win or lose lets help the kids grow but the record always matters. I try not to make it influence my decisions but it can be hard at times.

Old 07-31-2017, 04:53 PM   #68
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mccree View Post
That is what I say every season. Win or lose lets help the kids grow but the record always matters. I try not to make it influence my decisions but it can be hard at times.

Record/results don't matter. The process is what matters.

If the process is correct the results will come.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 11:15 AM   #69
Mccree
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
Record/results don't matter. The process is what matters.

If the process is correct the results will come.
I agree and that is my approach but at times the desire to win can be strong.

Old 08-03-2017, 11:26 AM   #70
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I've already had to adjust my coaching style over the first couple of days.

Its far different coaching a team of second year players because they're physically more developed, they know the language and understand football 101. They've also seen the competition.

Right now, I have mostly wide eyed rookies, some that have come from Peewee some that have never played before.

So after day one in which our Veteran laden defense pretty much chewed up the offense which was running base plays. We had to step right back to football 101 alignment and assignment. We have to slow down the playbook insertion and go back to putting up a garbage can defense and going through every ones role in every base play.

We can't lose our tempers as coaches when kids can't execute or flub up, we have to remind them that this is day 2 of a long over the season process.

I went back to my defensive playbook from a decade ago when I coached high school ball.

The goal is an escalator that we have to put these kids on.

We have to take the technique poor and inexperience kids and make them football players

We have to take the football players and make them starters

We have to take the Starters and make them standouts.

We have to take the standouts and make them stars.

Everything comes down in football to motor and knowledge. We have to develop both.

The other thing that we as coaches tend to forget because our playing time is so long ago, is that when we first stepped on the field at each level the game was moving faster then it ever has, all sorts of stuff is happening at high speed. At some point though in one play everything will slow down to a crawl and you'll be able to be aware of more of whats happening.

In our interview with Kamar Jordan a few weeks back, he talked about the biggest change for him was being able to play fast. Because his football knowledge was so developed this year he didn't have to think about what he was doing, he could just do it at a high tempo.

I needed to remind myself that I need to be a lot more patient this year.

Old 08-11-2017, 10:10 AM   #71
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Well after 2 weeks of practice we have the Jamboree tomorrow. It should be interesting especially with a pretty much all rookie offense.

For a few it will be their first football game in pads ever. For the other ones who played PeeWee, its will be their first exposure to a faster and harder hitting football then they're used to, and they're going to learn that the things that worked in PeeWee simply don't work here, and some of the bad habits that they picked up there are erased by a hyper athletic linebacker with blazing speed and a higher understanding of the game.

The fear is always the same, how many players take that first hit and decide that football isn't their thing.

I always expect some injuries in the Jamboree because realistically its their first true contact scrimmage at full speed.

I don't really care about how many touchdowns I put up on the board, tomorrow isn't about scouting and game planning the opposition and winning the Jamboree, its about finding out what you really have and evaluating your players in a real game situation.

And that, I'm worried about.

Old 10-01-2017, 09:11 PM   #72
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I thought I'd bump this and probably not for a good reason, but because I'm frustrated and I need to vent.

Its not about the kids, they've been great. Its not about the results we've got a great record . I mean we've had our struggles offensively, but that's what happens when you have all rookie QB's all rookie backfield, all rookie receivers and a patchwork offensive line.

I guess my frustration over all is with the coaching and officiating and this weekend it came to a head for me.

First of all with the officiating, I get it they take abuse from coaches and that needs to stop, that's why I pride myself in being even tempered about it, I never used to be, but I came to a realization that they have a tough job. But now they've basically self mandated that they aren't going to talk to the bench and justify or explain calls. However now what's happened is they've created a even more frustrated and toxic relationship with the coaches. Its simply not working. It came to a head for me on a sequence of three plays. The last of which was an absolutely terrible inexcusable call that cost us the tying points in a close game. And then after the call the officials absolutely refused to discuss this with the coaches on our sidelines (I was in the booth at the time). Maybe I could be wrong I thought, maybe my eyes deceived me so I waited til I got home and downloaded the film and looked at it. Nope it was an inexcusably bad call and refusing to talk to coaches has now made it worse.

I get it, we have a lot of inexperienced refs and its a tough gig, but now they're making the situation worse.

So what about the earlier calls. Again late in the game when we were driving down the field for the tying or winning points, one of their players breaks free and lays a blatant late hit on my Quarterback, and it wasn't oops late, it was three steps and bam. So now my starter is out, and we put in backup and call a roll out to avoid the rush. So my QB rolls out and throws the ball and one of my opponents players takes three steps leading with the helmet and my back up QB is lying on the ground writhing in pain, plus my receiver who's my third string went down with an injury on the same play. Two blatant late hits in a game, complete BS.

I certainly blame the refs on this, it was a blatant head target on the QB, even on the film it looked disgusting.

I blame the coaches, we're supposed to be teaching safe contact, but I'm seeing head tackles and horsed collars all over the place.

We're not doing the game any favors here, we sit there and wonder why player registration is dropping its because of stuff like this,

On top of that we have teams where they are up by 50 points and short kicking so they can get more. Kids on these losing teams aren't going to come back to keep getting beaten on.

I love the fact that people come out and volunteer to coach, but I'm starting to wonder if there's volunteering to teach the kids, get them to love the sport, or are they coaching to feed their ego's?

I was watching the CFL over the last couple of weeks and watching Awe's head shots and other head shots, and I was sitting there thinking "Thanks a lot guys, you're going to kill this game because everytime parents see this BS they're not letting their kids sign up"

Anyways, rant off, I don't know what to do anymore. I've had about 15 years of combined football coaching, maybe that's good enough and its time to find another hobby after this season.

Old 10-02-2017, 05:20 PM   #73
Bawbag
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I guess I'll post here.

I'm looking to get into coaching soccer, I've never done it before but feel like it's time to maybe start doing so

Any ideas who I contact or anyone know of teams looking for help?
Bawbag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 09:20 PM   #74
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I'd start contacting teams in your area.

I'd also look to see if there are coaching requirements for soccer and when those courses are. Beyond getting the training, they're great places to network, I've been offered a lot of football coaching positions at these things.

The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 10-03-2017, 10:23 AM   #75
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bawbag View Post
I guess I'll post here.

I'm looking to get into coaching soccer, I've never done it before but feel like it's time to maybe start doing so

Start by looking locally, most clubs are advertising for indoor right now so you might see roadside signs in your neighbourhood if you can make them out between all of the Election signs.

It depends on your age group/skill level and other factors that determine whether you're coaching at your local park on Saturday mornings or are on the other end of the City.

Man, I've been out of the game for a long time. I still get calls asking for help, if I get another one I'll snag some contact info and let you know but all my information is outdated unless you want to Coach at UBC.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 11:06 AM   #76
Mccree
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bawbag View Post
I guess I'll post here.

Local club is best. Give them a call they are always looking for help.

In the meantime there are several courses you can take to make your coaching resume look better.

http://albertasoccer.com/coach/
CMSA will put on courses from time to time.

Old 10-03-2017, 03:32 PM   #77
BOSSY
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
I thought I'd bump this and probably not for a good reason, but because I'm frustrated and I need to vent.

Its not about the kids, they've been great. Its not about the results we've got a great record . I mean we've had our struggles offensively, but that's what happens when you have all rookie QB's all rookie backfield, all rookie receivers and a patchwork offensive line.

I guess my frustration over all is with the coaching and officiating and this weekend it came to a head for me.

First of all with the officiating, I get it they take abuse from coaches and that needs to stop, that's why I pride myself in being even tempered about it, I never used to be, but I came to a realization that they have a tough job. But now they've basically self mandated that they aren't going to talk to the bench and justify or explain calls. However now what's happened is they've created a even more frustrated and toxic relationship with the coaches. Its simply not working. It came to a head for me on a sequence of three plays. The last of which was an absolutely terrible inexcusable call that cost us the tying points in a close game. And then after the call the officials absolutely refused to discuss this with the coaches on our sidelines (I was in the booth at the time). Maybe I could be wrong I thought, maybe my eyes deceived me so I waited til I got home and downloaded the film and looked at it. Nope it was an inexcusably bad call and refusing to talk to coaches has now made it worse.

I get it, we have a lot of inexperienced refs and its a tough gig, but now they're making the situation worse.

So what about the earlier calls. Again late in the game when we were driving down the field for the tying or winning points, one of their players breaks free and lays a blatant late hit on my Quarterback, and it wasn't oops late, it was three steps and bam. So now my starter is out, and we put in backup and call a roll out to avoid the rush. So my QB rolls out and throws the ball and one of my opponents players takes three steps leading with the helmet and my back up QB is lying on the ground writhing in pain, plus my receiver who's my third string went down with an injury on the same play. Two blatant late hits in a game, complete BS.

I certainly blame the refs on this, it was a blatant head target on the QB, even on the film it looked disgusting.

I blame the coaches, we're supposed to be teaching safe contact, but I'm seeing head tackles and horsed collars all over the place.

We're not doing the game any favors here, we sit there and wonder why player registration is dropping its because of stuff like this,

On top of that we have teams where they are up by 50 points and short kicking so they can get more. Kids on these losing teams aren't going to come back to keep getting beaten on.

I love the fact that people come out and volunteer to coach, but I'm starting to wonder if there's volunteering to teach the kids, get them to love the sport, or are they coaching to feed their ego's?

I was watching the CFL over the last couple of weeks and watching Awe's head shots and other head shots, and I was sitting there thinking "Thanks a lot guys, you're going to kill this game because everytime parents see this BS they're not letting their kids sign up"

Anyways, rant off, I don't know what to do anymore. I've had about 15 years of combined football coaching, maybe that's good enough and its time to find another hobby after this season.
...Keep doing what you've done and teach your players that you can only control the actual game you can't control the officials - take that to heart for yourself and enjoy the game... This is Bantam football not the NFL no careers are at stake and no big pay cheques depend on the next play... Officials suck that's just the reality but you'll be doing your players a big favor by focusing on the next play not the last. I've coached college and I've coached pro - the players and the coaches who keep moving forward are the ones with a thick skin and a short memory... Control what you can control.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BOSSY For This Useful Post:
Old 10-18-2017, 10:48 AM   #78
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Thought about posting this in the 'handshake' thread going on in the Off Topic forum but decided it would be better placed here. Topic is shaking hands between teams (and coaches, officials etc.) at the end of games.

Last year Hockey Calgary asked players and coaches to not shake hands with officials after games. Most officials I talked to didn't have an issue with it and gladly shook hands after a game if players/coaches wanted to so not really a big deal. But it did make Calgary teams look bad a times when we either played out of town and did not shake hands with refs (this was a Hockey Calgary thing only) or visiting teams from out of town approached refs to shake hands and were turned away.

This year our league has decided they need to cut down on incidents occurring on ice after the game is over, either in scrums or when teams shake hands with each other. So now coaches face a 2 game suspension for any head contact penalty or misconduct penalty handed out after a game has finished. The advice given to teams when this was announced was that coaches should be aware of any potential issues that might occur after a game and to advise those players who potentially might be involved to avoid the handshake altogether. Seems innocent enough but as a coach I am also a little troubled by the message we may be sending to our players, namely that it's okay to be pissed off, hold a grudge, and then just leave the ice. We've always coached with a philosophy that we battle hard and when the buzzer sounds the game is over. Shake hands and move on. And most importantly show respect. This new league rule works against the whole respect issue we are asking players, coaches, and parents to abide by. I see an end effect whereby coaches will simply tell their players to leave the ice immediately after a game in order to keep themselves from possible suspension due to some hothead kid, or a misheard comment by an official. Sure it keeps everyone out of trouble (probably) but are we sending a poor message by doing this?

Thoughts on the whole handshaking thing? Is it unsportsmanlike to NOT shake hands after a game? Does is show lack of respect? Should we be teaching that respect matters above all else and it's time to put aside negative emotion once the game is over?
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 11:43 AM   #79
BOSSY
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubicon View Post
Thought about posting this in the 'handshake' thread going on in the Off Topic forum but decided it would be better placed here. Topic is shaking hands between teams (and coaches, officials etc.) at the end of games.

Last year Hockey Calgary asked players and coaches to not shake hands with officials after games. Most officials I talked to didn't have an issue with it and gladly shook hands after a game if players/coaches wanted to so not really a big deal. But it did make Calgary teams look bad a times when we either played out of town and did not shake hands with refs (this was a Hockey Calgary thing only) or visiting teams from out of town approached refs to shake hands and were turned away.

This year our league has decided they need to cut down on incidents occurring on ice after the game is over, either in scrums or when teams shake hands with each other. So now coaches face a 2 game suspension for any head contact penalty or misconduct penalty handed out after a game has finished. The advice given to teams when this was announced was that coaches should be aware of any potential issues that might occur after a game and to advise those players who potentially might be involved to avoid the handshake altogether. Seems innocent enough but as a coach I am also a little troubled by the message we may be sending to our players, namely that it's okay to be pissed off, hold a grudge, and then just leave the ice. We've always coached with a philosophy that we battle hard and when the buzzer sounds the game is over. Shake hands and move on. And most importantly show respect. This new league rule works against the whole respect issue we are asking players, coaches, and parents to abide by. I see an end effect whereby coaches will simply tell their players to leave the ice immediately after a game in order to keep themselves from possible suspension due to some hothead kid, or a misheard comment by an official. Sure it keeps everyone out of trouble (probably) but are we sending a poor message by doing this?

Thoughts on the whole handshaking thing? Is it unsportsmanlike to NOT shake hands after a game? Does is show lack of respect? Should we be teaching that respect matters above all else and it's time to put aside negative emotion once the game is over?
That sums it up for me - I've always told my son and my players to respect their opponents as athletes and enjoy the battle - but to respect a fellow player because they are brothers and you both love the game... When the final buzzer goes it takes a few minutes but a true athlete will appreciate the battle and respect the opponent. I'm a strong believer in showing that respect and a quick smile at someone you've battled all game. Refs too they deserve it - no game without them.

That doesn't mean you like them and there are always going to be idiots but true athletes should respect each other and respect the game.
Old 11-01-2017, 10:18 AM   #80
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Well I thought I would put a tapper on this thread for now.

Our season ended last Saturday with a loss in the city Div 1 semi finals.

While we finished the regular season with a 6-2 record and won the quarterfinal game and got to the semi final game, I can't help but think that I as a coach have to do a lot of self reflection on the results and ask myself some key questions.

the year before this one I had a fairly veteran offense especially in the backfield and I had a amazing determined athlete as my running back. We basically scored at will, and with experience came execution. That wasn't the case this year.

We had a rookie laden squad and it showed, I didn't have a lot of great elite type of athletes and it showed.

I found myself redacting my playbook down to the simplest I could, we didn't have a lot of what I would call fancy or deceptive plays, a rookie quarterback can't run it.

In the end I was down to about 10 plays total and was extremely run heavy.

So why the self reflection part.

Because I think as an offensive coordinator and coach I could have been a lot better.

So what are the take aways for me

1) I think I started with too much and then ended up pairing it down to extremely simple. Because of that, in the end we had a very unbalanced run heavy offense, and didn't maybe do enough to get our rookie QB comfortable enough on the passing game and the reads.

2) I didn't stand up for myself and what I was doing enough - With two games left in the season, they bought over a veteran coach from the defense, they bought him over because he had worked with offenses in the past. However he started asking me to make changes, and instead of sticking to my guns, I got over awed by his reputation and his past history and figured, he must know. Instead the execution really dropped and the errors increased. Next year if I go back, i think I have to take the stand that I'm the oc, I know this offense, and if its a adjustment that makes sense fine, but you'd better be able to tell me why.

3) I went against my own instincts in games, that was the worst part of this, I abandoned what I believed would work in the name of simplification of execution, so I wasn't attacking the defensive vulnerabilities as much as I should have, I was literally attacking our own execution and confidence.

Hey its only my second year of running an offense and third years of coaching with offense so I'm not egotistical enough to believe that I know it all, or I'm the smartest guy in the room, but at the same time, I have to and every coach has to be absolutely confident in their game plan and strategies and stick to their guns no matter how much pressure comes to bear.

The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post: