Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 04-10-2017, 11:54 PM   #1221
puffnstuff
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I'd change the siding to something else, Hardy board? or vinyl. The house still has the breathe, would that spray on stuff seal it up too much? How would the wood react under that?
puffnstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 03:17 AM   #1222
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think whatever you do short of changing to a different siding will require lots of prep work. It's just how it is with old paint and wood. The only better coating I know of is elastomeric paint. It's much thicker than normal paint, flexible and water tight...ish. It's made for cement but there are some designed for wood too.
OMG!WTF! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 12:22 PM   #1223
psyang
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

We've had to snake our pipes from the kitchen 3 times now in the last couple years. I'm pretty confident that it mainly due to the misuse/abuse of our underpowered garburator. Some in our family who will remain nameless seem to think they can toss pots of old broccoli and bean sprouts down it without ramification. We are going to upgrade the garburator.

Anyways, the last plumber we used suggested hydro-jetting our lines, where they feed a hose down the pipes blasting water at up to 3000psi. He claims it will leave the pipes about as clean as if they were brand new.

The charge to hydrojet all the pipes in our house was monstrous - multiple thousands of dollars. After some investigation, it looks like I can rent my own hydro-jet machine locally for very cheap (around $120/day). There are some videos online on how to operate the machine too.

Does anyone have experience with this? Is this something a homeowner can do, or is it best left to the professionals?
psyang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 12:46 PM   #1224
V
Franchise Player

Exp:

I can't imagine it would be all that difficult to flush your lines. I would be surprised if a youtube video wasn't enough for you to get it done.
V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 12:53 PM   #1225
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by psyang View Post
We've had to snake our pipes from the kitchen 3 times now in the last couple years. I'm pretty confident that it mainly due to the misuse/abuse of our underpowered garburator. Some in our family who will remain nameless seem to think they can toss pots of old broccoli and bean sprouts down it without ramification. We are going to upgrade the garburator.

Anyways, the last plumber we used suggested hydro-jetting our lines, where they feed a hose down the pipes blasting water at up to 3000psi. He claims it will leave the pipes about as clean as if they were brand new.

The charge to hydrojet all the pipes in our house was monstrous - multiple thousands of dollars. After some investigation, it looks like I can rent my own hydro-jet machine locally for very cheap (around $120/day). There are some videos online on how to operate the machine too.

Does anyone have experience with this? Is this something a homeowner can do, or is it best left to the professionals?
If you have an older home it might be wise to change out the pipe if you have access below. We bought a home built in the early 60s and had some plumbing work done. They replaced the kitchen drain pipe and it was so clogged with grease/oil and other garbage from years of use that the diameter was reduced to about 1/4 inch. Maybe hydrojet will remove all that crap as well.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 02:42 PM   #1226
puckedoff
First Line Centre

Exp:

Do other people fill their sink to the brim occasionally and then run the garburator in a "poor man's hydrojet" kind of way to flush debris from the pipes? Does this do any good or am I just wasting water and p***ing off my wife?
puckedoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 09:56 PM   #1227
Canehdianman
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by puckedoff View Post
Do other people fill their sink to the brim occasionally and then run the garburator in a "poor man's hydrojet" kind of way to flush debris from the pipes? Does this do any good or am I just wasting water and p***ing off my wife?
This only works if you are standing in the sink while doing it.

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk
Canehdianman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Canehdianman For This Useful Post:
Old 04-21-2017, 10:20 AM   #1228
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Anyone have any idea of where to find a replacement for this? I thought Micheals since it seems to be more a craft thing but they didn't seem to have it.

EDIT: Of course I immediately figure out to search by "candelabra" rather than C7...

https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.6...000848152.html
Old 04-22-2017, 11:41 PM   #1229
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Anybody know what where to get replacement seal for glass showers?

My shower has a couple of sections by the bottom where the seal that is sandwiched between the metal frame is missing.

Below is the part that I am trying to find.

Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 02:10 AM   #1230
surferguy
Monster Storm

Exp:

Call cascade glass and explain your situation

surferguy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to surferguy For This Useful Post:
Old 05-01-2017, 02:04 PM   #1231
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

So I'm in the new-to-me position of needing to buy window coverings. One question... how? Like how do I even?

I haven't the slightest idea what I should be looking at, what I should be paying, how the things end up getting installed (are there window covering people who do this like the guy I had come and wall mount my TVs?) or... any of it. Apparently the good deals are the online sites like https://www.selectblindscanada.ca/ but I have no idea where to go from there.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 02:23 PM   #1232
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

I've ordered from blinds.ca a few times and have been happy with the product. I did the installs myself but there's probably people that you can hire to just do the install. They were for rentals too, so my standards wouldn't have been as high as if it was for my own place.

The local vendors that will sell and install are generally waaaaay more expensive than ordering online and installing yourself. Depends on how fancy and up-scale you want, having a pro come in can possibly result in something a lot nicer (for more money).

The online vendors carry some of the same brands as the local vendors.

But it all kind of depends on what you want, just simple wood blinds? Super nice Hunter Douglas Silouette sheer coverings for diffused light? There's tons of options (which is why some people go with a professional, to help choose what looks right).
Old 05-01-2017, 04:42 PM   #1233
Ducay
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've done 2 houses through Blinds.ca and have been quite happy. Wood blinds, cell shades, blackout shades, see through fancy blinds, you name it.

Most of them are just drop shipped from the name-brand manufacturer anyways, so its not some random store re-selling stuff, everything is custom made to fit.

I have no other blind buying experience beyond crappy Ikea university dorm blinds, so can't say how they stack up to other online options, but I've been happy with price and quality.
Ducay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 08:25 AM   #1234
underGRADFlame
Lives In Fear Of Labelling

Exp:

If your a Costco member... try the online store. I know for our new house I was quoted $4500+ from buget blinds for everything. I spent $1450 and installed myself, custom cut color everything, took me 4 hours to install 17 window coverings.
underGRADFlame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 09:47 AM   #1235
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

Has anyone used that one second plumber? My master toilet is a little slow to drain and isn't clearing the bowl on the first flush, so I thought I would give it a try before I swapped out my dual flush valve. It looks more fun than using a plunger.
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 10:04 AM   #1236
Canehdianman
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Finally got my garage insulated and drywalled. Now time to put up some shelving.

Used this website for the shelving in my old house as well. Love it. they cantilever out, so they don't take up any floor space (meaning you can park under them, or store other crap under them).

http://woodgears.ca/shelves/garage.html

Highly recommend the plans if anyone else is considering building some shelving for their garage (or basement).

Here are a few pics (during build) and post-build (showing the little storage areas I made underneath as well as my keezer)

https://goo.gl/photos/z3ZFFSofCQRbAnUTA
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Canehdianman For This Useful Post:
Old 05-03-2017, 12:56 PM   #1237
dubc80
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyguy15 View Post
Has anyone used that one second plumber? My master toilet is a little slow to drain and isn't clearing the bowl on the first flush, so I thought I would give it a try before I swapped out my dual flush valve. It looks more fun than using a plunger.
Used it on a sink once with real good success. No idea about a toilet though.
dubc80 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dubc80 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-03-2017, 02:03 PM   #1238
V
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canehdianman View Post
Finally got my garage insulated and drywalled. Now time to put up some shelving.

Used this website for the shelving in my old house as well. Love it. they cantilever out, so they don't take up any floor space (meaning you can park under them, or store other crap under them).

http://woodgears.ca/shelves/garage.html

Highly recommend the plans if anyone else is considering building some shelving for their garage (or basement).

Here are a few pics (during build) and post-build (showing the little storage areas I made underneath as well as my keezer)

https://goo.gl/photos/z3ZFFSofCQRbAnUTA
This is the first time I noticed that Matthias is Canadian. Weird, I've seen most of his videos.

I can vouch for these shelves. They are crazy strong and compact. Awesome option for shelving.
Old 05-03-2017, 02:08 PM   #1239
Canehdianman
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by V View Post
This is the first time I noticed that Matthias is Canadian. Weird, I've seen most of his videos.

I can vouch for these shelves. They are crazy strong and compact. Awesome option for shelving.
I was really confused by your post until I figured out that Matthias is the guy who runs woodgears.ca.

The shelves are insanely strong. Everyone should build these in their garage.
Old 05-03-2017, 02:15 PM   #1240
V
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sorry, I thought if you know woodgears you would know his youtube channel. Lots of good woodworking videos on there.