Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-13-2024, 11:12 AM   #2201
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
My father in law, RIP, used to do that intentionally. He saved the card and brought it every year for his wife.

My wife is anti-card, it is one of the wonderful things about her.
My wife is, too. And anti-flowers. I guess just my presence is romance enough and I can't say I blame her.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2024, 11:43 AM   #2202
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

How long are you supposed to keep a card? I heard the rule is a minimum of two days.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2024, 11:45 AM   #2203
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
How long are you supposed to keep a card? I heard the rule is a minimum of two days.
I tear them in half right and throw them away right in front of the person who gave it to me.

While maintaining constant eye contact. Never look away.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2024, 01:32 PM   #2204
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Christmas cards we’ll keep for the “season”. All others go right in the recycling/garbage. Directly. My wife is also anti-card, thank goodness. Who knew this would be such a huge positive to seek out in a partner.

Last edited by Scroopy Noopers; 01-13-2024 at 01:39 PM.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2024, 07:18 PM   #2205
RichieRich
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichieRich View Post
Exactly correct.
Hey ya'll... play with this:
https://engaging-data.com/will-money-last-retire-early/

I plugged in $2.5MM (assuming they keep some of the winnings to put towards life, sharing, etc..); $8500/yr added for OAS after age 65; assuming $zero CPP; MER of ~1% on investments. The result is easily pulling $125k/yr for 50 years... so yes most definitely there's generational wealth.

So this assumes they don't do something stupid like put money into GIC's, choose bad financial planning; chase something trendy, don't make trades too often or chase returns or nervously move money in/out/in/out/in/etc... of the markets repeatedly selling low and buying high...

Average Canadian after-tax monthly retiree income is as per following article. Was higher than I expected:
https://www.moneysense.ca/save/retir...ome-in-canada/

For those interested in learning more here's a great article. The MDJ website has a metric cr@p-tonne more great info:
https://milliondollarjourney.com/the...rement-age.htm
RichieRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2024, 07:26 PM   #2206
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteTiger View Post
There has been a lot going on in my life lately to be down about and negative about.

But I'm taking my dad to the Flames game tonight, and he is SO excited that it's pumping me up, too.

It's reminding me to look for the positive, instead of the always the negative.

Go Flames Go!
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheIronMaiden For This Useful Post:
Old 01-15-2024, 11:13 AM   #2207
Hockey_Ninja

Exp:

I’ve been uploading videos for a while now on TikTok. I love to freestyle dance and I ask people to request songs for me to dance to. I rarely look at my follower or likes but today I saw that I had over 4k followers and 177k likes. That really made me happy

Last edited by Hockey_Ninja; 01-15-2024 at 11:20 AM.
Hockey_Ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Hockey_Ninja For This Useful Post:
Old 01-17-2024, 08:50 AM   #2208
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

I got a new bed from a local place here in town called Keltic furniture and went with a bit of a firmer bed. I've never slept so good in my life, sleeping thru the entire night. I guess a firmer bed is what I needed.
White Out 403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2024, 09:13 AM   #2209
Nufy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I have every b-day card my kids have ever given me. A shelf full of the silly crafts that they made in school etc...

Dont know why...Just can't seem to let em go.

Xmas and other stuff...couple of days after its in the bin.
Old 01-17-2024, 02:57 PM   #2210
cral12
First Line Centre

Exp:

That time you and Megan Fox had the "Hot New Releases" for poetry at the same time on Amazon lol

My recent book published:

"Raised By Rocks, Moved By Mountains"

Old 01-17-2024, 03:57 PM   #2211
The Fisher Account
Scoring Winger

Exp:

When you kid grows out of the toddler phase and starts hitting you with full, coherent thoughts and observations. Just marveling at them growing into a little person.
The Fisher Account is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to The Fisher Account For This Useful Post:
Old 01-18-2024, 10:19 AM   #2212
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fisher Account View Post
When you kid grows out of the toddler phase and starts hitting you with full, coherent thoughts and observations. Just marveling at them growing into a little person.
Yeah, I love how they can really boil things down to very basic terms that are so astute. I think maybe because of their limited vocabulary and their lack of inhibitions/limited indoctrination into social norms allows them to drive straight to the point in ways that are more difficult for us as adults.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2024, 11:30 AM   #2213
bagofpucks
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I got to have quite the in depth conversation with my 3 year old the other day on our drive in that he was tired not because he messed around at bed time, but because he was woken up. He had crafted quite the argument and was very passionate to his cause. Made me chuckle.
bagofpucks is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bagofpucks For This Useful Post:
Old 01-31-2024, 12:04 PM   #2214
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

I got a new job and start in a couple of weeks. It's nice to put "work" back in my google calendar, and I'm hoping to soak up the free time I have left and relax as much as I can.
White Out 403 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to White Out 403 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-31-2024, 12:13 PM   #2215
iggy_oi
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Out 403 View Post
I got a new job and start in a couple of weeks. It's nice to put "work" back in my google calendar, and I'm hoping to soak up the free time I have left and relax as much as I can.
Congrats on finding a new job. Hope it works out well for you and your family
iggy_oi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to iggy_oi For This Useful Post:
Old 02-01-2024, 03:11 PM   #2216
dubc80
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I'm typically a non-confrontational person, but today I witnessed a person who did not pick up after their dog and I called them out on it.

Unfortunately, the person still did not pick up (claimed they had no bag), but I'd like to think that my cheap-shots and mildly passive-aggressive insults made it uncomfortable enough that they will re-consider next time. Or at least feel shame that someone busted them.

I purposely TALKED VERY LOUDLY so that the few other people in the general area also heard what was going on and looked over at the guy. I got a bit of a buzz from it to be honest. ha ha.

Not sure if it belongs in this thread or not, but it was kind of entertaining.
Calling out people who dont clean up after their dogs makes me happy

Last edited by dubc80; 02-01-2024 at 03:14 PM.
dubc80 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to dubc80 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-01-2024, 03:26 PM   #2217
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubc80 View Post
I'm typically a non-confrontational person, but today I witnessed a person who did not pick up after their dog and I called them out on it.

Unfortunately, the person still did not pick up (claimed they had no bag), but I'd like to think that my cheap-shots and mildly passive-aggressive insults made it uncomfortable enough that they will re-consider next time. Or at least feel shame that someone busted them.

I purposely TALKED VERY LOUDLY so that the few other people in the general area also heard what was going on and looked over at the guy. I got a bit of a buzz from it to be honest. ha ha.

Not sure if it belongs in this thread or not, but it was kind of entertaining.
Calling out people who dont clean up after their dogs makes me happy

Also irresponsible pet owners are the worst.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2024, 04:35 PM   #2218
bc-chris
Franchise Player

Exp:

i found out this past november that my family dr was retiring. i don't know how many decades i've been going to the same place but the good news was that a new young dr was coming in to take over the practice - so that was good.
i received a letter in mid december from the dr's office that basically said the new dr didn't want as many patients and since i hadn't seen my dr in the last 6 months i was s.o.l. - so that sucked, being that it's soooo easy to find a family doc. i probably wouldn't be as concerned except for my family's cancer history and that i need to get a colonoscopy every 5 years... and that gets booked thru the family dr.
fast forward to monday - my mom was getting a medical driving exam (to make sure she's still ok to drive) and asked her dr if they'd be willing to take on a very low-maintenance patient. surprisingly the dr said yes - so that makes me very happy! another perk is that the new dr's office is a lot closer to my house - so that's good too!
Old 02-03-2024, 01:14 PM   #2219
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

My daughter graduated from university almost 2 years ago. FT jobs are almost non existent in her field at that level (BSc) so she's been working contract jobs wherever she can pick them up. She renewed her latest contract backing November but the hours are pretty slim during winter. On Thursday the company called her and offered her a FT position.

That makes me happy.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Lubicon For This Useful Post:
Old 02-03-2024, 03:00 PM   #2220
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubicon View Post
My daughter graduated from university almost 2 years ago. FT jobs are almost non existent in her field at that level (BSc) so she's been working contract jobs wherever she can pick them up. She renewed her latest contract backing November but the hours are pretty slim during winter. On Thursday the company called her and offered her a FT position.

That makes me happy.
Dude. I dont know what field your daughter is in, but we have a serious problem and I think its National.

We have made 'Employment' way too expensive and difficult and as such getting a Job in this current environment is a nightmare.

I've had 2 guys working for me for 2 years as they try and get on with Accounting Firms, they both have degrees...they've been through countless interviews, I've written references and even called in favours.

1 of them finally got a job. After 2 years of trying.

Its hard.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote