Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-25-2006, 12:54 PM   #1
jar_e
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Cleaning Hockey Gear

Does anyone have recommendations for cleaning hockey gear and getting rid of that delightful hockey bag smell every game?

I currently have everything out in the bathroom with the air vent going trying to just dry it off but I'm not sure what to do after that...any suggestions?!

Thanks.
jar_e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 01:00 PM   #2
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

wash it. If they can't fit in the regular washer, go to the laundromat. Every few weeks I wash mine during the season.
habernac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 01:01 PM   #3
jar_e
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by habernac View Post
wash it. If they can't fit in the regular washer, go to the laundromat. Every few weeks I wash mine during the season.
Like pads and everything? With soap?

I've also thought of washing my bag...i'm pretty sure that may be the main cause.
Old 09-25-2006, 01:02 PM   #4
Frank the Tank
First Line Centre

Exp:

There is a company that specializes in cleaning sports equipment, but I don't know if they are a chain. They're endorsed by Walter Gretzky or something. I'll see if I can find a link.

"Sticking feathers up your butt does not make you a chicken."
Frank the Tank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 01:03 PM   #5
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

I put mine in the washer; but use the washer to let it soak. I also put a cap full of bleach in the water to kill any bacteria. Then I take it outside and hose it down to rinse it, and then hang it up.
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 01:03 PM   #6
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jar_e View Post
I've also thought of washing my bag...i'm pretty sure that may be the main cause.

Yes, you should wash down there every day.

ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 01:03 PM   #7
Rhettzky
Franchise Player

Exp:

My gear's not allowed in the house.

I empty my bag after every game and hang the stuff up in the garage. If it's really bad I spray it down with that Anti-bacterial febreeze. Then I just make sure to wash the washables right away so it doesn't get the mildew stink going on it.

Skates you can replace the inserts in every few months and it helps a little bit. If you can wash your hockey bag too that helps as well.

But hockey gear stays pretty nasty year long. Even that crap they sell at the pro-hockey shops around town for like $17 bucks a bottle only works for a little while.

There is a place in town that cleans gear somehow but I don't see the point in that as you're just going to funk it up a few days later anyway.
Old 09-25-2006, 01:07 PM   #8
Frank the Tank
First Line Centre

Exp:

http://www.playitclean.ca/

Here's good 'ol Walt!

"Sticking feathers up your butt does not make you a chicken."
Frank the Tank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 01:07 PM   #9
jar_e
Franchise Player

Exp:

Thanks for all the tips guys...I use to put it in my garage back home and usually that worked, but alas, I do'nt have a garage here.

Yeah...the bag really should get cleaned after every game...but I'm rather lazy and it ends up staying my trunk until next game.

Well, wish me luck...i'm off into the washroom to throw my gear into the washer
Old 09-25-2006, 01:33 PM   #10
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

I think I remember Sportmart or somewhere like that offering gear cleaning. They probably just take it to the guy above though.
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 01:36 PM   #11
Rhettzky
Franchise Player

Exp:

I didn't even think about putting it in the washer. Can you do that? Then you just hang dry it? That's awesome, I always thought you just had to give it as much air as you could and disinfect it once every few months.
Old 09-25-2006, 01:36 PM   #12
Reaper
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank the Tank View Post
http://www.playitclean.ca/

Here's good 'ol Walt!
The system used is actually the Esporta System.

http://www.esporta.ca/retail/sports.htm

If you have a washing machine without an agitator you can probably clean almost all your gear at home. Just wash the gear with mild detergent and oxyclean (trust me, this helps get the stink out) on the delicate cycle with warm water. Hang your gear to dry in front of a high volume fan. I would avoid washing your skates, gloves and helmet at home though.

Last edited by Reaper; 09-25-2006 at 01:39 PM.
Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 01:41 PM   #13
MattyK
Backup Goalie

Exp:

I made a frame very similar to the ones in this thread for drying my goalie equipment. You've never experienced wet, sweaty gear unless you've played six games in goal within two days, without drying your equipment.

I keep the frame (affectionately called "the rack") in a small, 7x7 storage closet I have off my apartment balcony. If it's an emergency, I pop my high-power fan in there to speed drying up. During the winter, I have an oil-filled heater keeping things from freezing. Otherwise, I just leave it sit and it'll be good in 24 hours.

Drying equipment fast keeps it from stinking, at least for a while. Every few months I hose down my CA, pants, and jock; and give the palms of my catcher and blocker a good run-though with the hose. A lot easier in the summer than the winter :P
MattyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 02:27 PM   #14
Staypuft
Self Imposed Ban

Exp:

Sportswap downtown has a sani-sport machine. Takes like 20 minutes to clean all your gear...does a pretty good job too. Never too busy, can almost always get it done right away.
Staypuft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 03:04 PM   #15
Rhettzky
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Staypuft View Post
Sportswap downtown has a sani-sport machine. Takes like 20 minutes to clean all your gear...does a pretty good job too. Never too busy, can almost always get it done right away.
What's the cost approximately?
Old 09-25-2006, 03:04 PM   #16
MattyK
Backup Goalie

Exp:

I've always wondered, how much does it cost to have your gear cleaned at a place like Sportswap?

I remember when I bought some gloves and a pair of goal pants at a sports exchange...it was almost like a new-car smell. Lasted all of a few games, but still...
Old 09-25-2006, 04:13 PM   #17
Red Mile Style
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I find the absolute worst thing to do is to try to cover up the smell using things like Febreeze, or when I was a kid, my Mom actually bought these footprint shaped car-fresheners and would put them in my bag every month or so. Argh! It was so disgusting because it didn't get rid of the problem, it just added to the aroma. I hated keeping my equipment outside because I hated putting it on when it's cold, so I pretty much had to let her do whatever she wanted to keep it in the basement. It scarred me for life.
Red Mile Style is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 04:19 PM   #18
Rhettzky
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Mile Style View Post
I find the absolute worst thing to do is to try to cover up the smell using things like Febreeze, or when I was a kid, my Mom actually bought these footprint shaped car-fresheners and would put them in my bag every month or so. Argh! It was so disgusting because it didn't get rid of the problem, it just added to the aroma. I hated keeping my equipment outside because I hated putting it on when it's cold, so I pretty much had to let her do whatever she wanted to keep it in the basement. It scarred me for life.
Oh yeah, I should have said the "Scentless" anti-bacterial Febreeze. I can't stand perfume stench, especially because most of that stuff makes your gear slimy.
Old 09-25-2006, 05:19 PM   #19
Jake
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

hmmm... I've been playing since I was 6 or 7 and the only time I've ever had clean equipment was when it was new... maybe I should look into this.
Jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 06:01 PM   #20
MattyK
Backup Goalie

Exp:

I don't think I've ever cleaned my out gear. I've had my shin pads, shoulder pads, elbow pads, skates, and helmet since 1993. Heck, until last winter, I've had my gloves that long too. It has an odour, but nothing amazingly strong. I don't know how some guys get their equipment that stinky...do they leave their bags closed and under heat lamps, to rot in it's own sweat?

Goalie equipment, though...I've lost upwards of five pounds during a game, even after drinking a lot of water. When you're dealing with that much sweat, you have to dry it after every game and clean it regularly.