Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-21-2016, 09:57 AM   #21
zyzz
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

27. One weekend day is generally a free for all (beeer, shots,etc) otherwise nothing. In 18-25 years I worked bars, lived downtown, no car. Legit was wasted 7 days a week. If I could go back and collect that money
zyzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to zyzz For This Useful Post:
Old 10-21-2016, 09:59 AM   #22
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
If only there was some legal substance that gave me the good feels, without a hang-over.
Since I quit smoking, I don't get them. I mix in some glasses of water as well to keep myself decently hydrated.

I buy a case of beer, it can last me a month. I'll crack one for the game, I'll have a pint when I'm out playing pool.

If I'm camping, I can finish them off pretty quick.
habernac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 09:59 AM   #23
calgaryblood
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Never really drank in my life. Had a few drinks in high school, hated the taste and have never had one since. I've been sober for 15 years.

That probably sounds weird but I am weird like that: I've never drank coffee cause I hate the taste and never drink alcohol cause of the first bad experiences with it. Peer pressure didn't really effect me which I'm thankful for. I can still go out and have a blast and not drink.
calgaryblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 10:01 AM   #24
puckedoff
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Good job, CP. Nobody over indulges. Let's add that to the list of how awesome we are.

Wing night with my friends can get messy. Usually a few pints each, but every couple of months we'll go completely overboard for no reason. Those are fun, but the hangover is soooooo hard to handle these days.
I buy a case of beer each year. I open one bottle per month, each day I have a sip and then I put saran wrap on the top with an elastic to keep it carbonated.
puckedoff is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to puckedoff For This Useful Post:
Old 10-21-2016, 10:02 AM   #25
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Turn 27 next week.

It goes in waves depending on what's going on within the circle of friends. I can count the weekends since I turned 18 where I haven't drank at all on one hand but lately it's usually only once a weekend and then occasionally a few beers at wing night or something during the week. But then there's also months where there happens to be a lot going on in our group or we go on a trip and we end up drinking 4 or 5 days straight or have things going on both Fridays and Saturdays every weekend of the month and those times are starting to kill me. I can't handle those stretches like I used too. Now I get wicked withdrawals and hangxiety after anytime I drink hard for more than 2 days straight.

I think if my friends had more money where we didn't have to hold normal jobs we'd all be dead. I think money is really what hold us in check.

Last edited by polak; 10-21-2016 at 10:06 AM.
polak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 10:04 AM   #26
Puppet Guy
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm drinking on weekends only for the most part (debate night was an exception), and since I started brewing I think I'm drinking less (alcohol content is higher, so it all balances out).

I'm pretty pro-alcohol, but I'm trying to be careful with it given my current stress load.

- Surferguy
Puppet Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 10:06 AM   #27
Alberta_Beef
Franchise Player

Exp:

Late 30s, rarely ever drink anymore, used to drink a decent amount in my early 20s. A couple times a year I will drink to excess, unfortunately it still costs me a fortune to get drunk, luckily I still never get hungover.
Alberta_Beef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 10:09 AM   #28
Robo
Franchise Player

Exp:

Used to go out every weekend now I may have a light beer during the flames game and actually get drunk maybe once a year now
Robo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 10:19 AM   #29
Since1984
First Line Centre

Exp:

Early 30's

1-2 drinks a day minimum.....I prefer beer over wine and anything else really. Can't stand pop, milk or juice. If it isn't a beer its a water.
Since1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 10:20 AM   #30
Kiran403
Scoring Winger

Exp:

When I was in college I was a regular drinker as I had a higher tolerance/recovery time and had access to it as I worked in the restaurant industry.
Now I'm 37 and I might have a drink about once a week if even that. I find that once I became a dad, it became too hard to go out and drink as the hangovers would hit me fast and kids have no chill when trying to recover the next day. Plus the time/money factors for going out just weren't worth it to do it on a regular basis. I think I've been drunk 3 times this year and one of those was on a guys trip with no wives/kids.
I do smoke weed pretty regularly and prefer that as my evening wind-down after the kids are in bed since I don't feel tired or sick the next day and it's something I can do at home without having to go out.
Kiran403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 10:20 AM   #31
Since1984
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
If only there was some legal substance that gave me the good feels, without a hang-over.
There is it is called marijuana.
Since1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 10:21 AM   #32
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Drank heavily from 18 to 26 or so (24 beer a week). Tapered off to maybe 12 a week in my 30s. Since having kids I'm down to 3-4 most weeks (double that in summer). Once every couple months I'll get into it with the boys and have 6-? in a sitting.

As far as the observation in the OP about people start to drink heavily as they get older, I haven't noticed that with my friends (we're in our late 40s). Other than a couple guys who are borderline alcoholics and never have cut back from the pace in their 20s.

However, some of my parents' friends descended into full-blown alcoholism in their 60s. It seems that having lots of time and being bored can be a great temptation. The first beer gets cracked at 2 pm. That bottle of wine with dinner leads to another one after. My parents have remarked with sadness about seeing old friends lurch into bed at 8 pm drunk every night. I suspect alcoholism (and other drug abuse) among seniors is vastly under-reported.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 10:24 AM   #33
Kiran403
Scoring Winger

Exp:

That doesn't surprise me at all. Once you're a senior and retired and your kids are grown up and moved out, what else do you have to do? Your responsibility load is a fraction of what it was when you were younger. I could definitely see seniors engaging in greater alchohol and/or drug consumption just as something to pass the time.
Kiran403 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kiran403 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-21-2016, 10:27 AM   #34
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiran403 View Post
I do smoke weed pretty regularly and prefer that as my evening wind-down after the kids are in bed since I don't feel tired or sick the next day and it's something I can do at home without having to go out.
Pot is probably the best drug for parents. Certainly easier on the pocket-book and less debilitating than booze. Though personally I keep it to weekends, since it irritates my lungs and I tend to get woolly-brained if I smoke regularly.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 10:28 AM   #35
taco.vidal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
Drank heavily from 18 to 26 or so (24 beer a week). Tapered off to maybe 12 a week in my 30s. Since having kids I'm down to 3-4 most weeks (double that in summer). Once every couple months I'll get into it with the boys and have 6-? in a sitting.

As far as the observation in the OP about people start to drink heavily as they get older, I haven't noticed that with my friends (we're in our late 40s). Other than a couple guys who are borderline alcoholics and never have cut back from the pace in their 20s.

However, some of my parents' friends descended into full-blown alcoholism in their 60s. It seems that having lots of time and being bored can be a great temptation. The first beer gets cracked at 2 pm. That bottle of wine with dinner leads to another one after. My parents have remarked with sadness about seeing old friends lurch into bed at 8 pm drunk every night. I suspect alcoholism (and other drug abuse) among seniors is vastly under-reported.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiran403 View Post
That doesn't surprise me at all. Once you're a senior and retired and your kids are grown up and moved out, what else do you have to do? Your responsibility load is a fraction of what it was when you were younger. I could definitely see seniors engaging in greater alchohol and/or drug consumption just as something to pass the time.
Heres the article
http://www.nationalpost.com/m/wp/hea..._lsa=862d-e58c

It talks about what those two posts touched upon.
taco.vidal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 10:29 AM   #36
Torture
Loves Teh Chat!

Exp:

Apparently nobody on CP drinks!

I usually share a bottle of wine or two during the week with my fiancé. More during the weekend. I probably drink a bit more than I should. I'm 28.
Torture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 10:30 AM   #37
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Since1984 View Post
You're too young for troutman's musical references....

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 10:32 AM   #38
Torture
Loves Teh Chat!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Since1984 View Post
Torture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 10:32 AM   #39
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Good job, CP. Nobody over indulges. Let's add that to the list of how awesome we are.

Wing night with my friends can get messy. Usually a few pints each, but every couple of months we'll go completely overboard for no reason. Those are fun, but the hangover is soooooo hard to handle these days.
I still love a good unplanned session.

Go for a few pints and stay for many.

I like you I find this happened every few months.

I don't drink anywhere near as much as at use to, but there was a time in my 20's I got pissed every night. Now I will have 6-10 drinks a week on average.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 10:33 AM   #40
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't drink at all during the week unless I go out for wings or to watch a game with a buddy, which is also rare because I don't generally like to socialize during the week. On the weekends though? Yeesh. I can usually knock back a full twixer or half of one and then head to the bar for 5-6 drinks. Rinse, repeat for the next night or mix-in some day-drinking if it's a Friday/Saturday or Saturday/Sunday combo. That said, I haven't had a drink for two weeks now. Trying to shed a few pounds and get back into a little better shape, and also save some money.

Last edited by rubecube; 10-21-2016 at 02:51 PM.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote