Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-24-2016, 10:28 PM   #181
driveway
A Fiddler Crab

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltaGuy View Post
I used to drink upwards of 5-10 pints a day and 5-10 shots of whiskey a day (five days a week or more) at my former job.

Somehow I'm still alive, and maybe my liver is too. (for the time being)

Back to a reasonable 1-2 drinks every couple days now, but that was a crazy few years. While I definitely had a problem, it ended with my employment, so I guess I can say I'm not an alcoholic.

Being (semi-) functionally wasted most of the time is tiring!
Yeah, when I was a tour guide at a winery I think I'd drink 2-3 bottles of wine a day at work.

That was, hands down, the best job I ever had. If I could make half of what I make now doing that, I'd never, ever leave.

Tonight I'll be watching the Flames game when I get home, drinking this wonderful stuff:

Spoiler!
driveway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 12:56 AM   #182
Thor
God of Hating Twitter

Exp:

I quit drinking for the 2nd time in 4 years. I did for the whole time I was on Biggest loser and then about 1 month before my gastric sleeve surgery, which I decided t make at least 1 year and then see if I even want to again.

I think as I get older its just not fun anymore, and there is an added risk of alcoholism with the surgery I had so that really made me think about if I'll ever drink again, except for maybe an occasional wine glass or some very special occasion.

I used to drink about 10 beers a weekend before.
Old 10-25-2016, 01:31 AM   #183
Sluggo
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by driveway View Post
Tonight I'll be watching the Flames game when I get home, drinking this wonderful stuff:

Spoiler!
Out of everything I have drank over the past 5 years that stuff messed me up the worst. Body could not decide if it wanted to be awake or sleep. I am a non coffee drinker and I think that #### is full of caffeine maybe Jolt cola levels.
Sluggo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 05:49 AM   #184
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by driveway View Post
Yeah, when I was a tour guide at a winery I think I'd drink 2-3 bottles of wine a day at work.

That was, hands down, the best job I ever had. If I could make half of what I make now doing that, I'd never, ever leave.

Spoiler!
I picked that up recently. It's delicious, but by the bottom of one can, it's to much. To sweet and rich. If you have more than one, do yourself a favour and don't read the calorie count...
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 08:45 AM   #185
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Every friday I buy a 2/6 of vodka and that lasts me all weekend, but usually there will be a couple shots leftover. I don't drink during the week (except for a pint on wing night if I go) or sundays. Just Fridays and Saturdays for me.

I don't get hungover too often, unless I don't keep hydrated at all while I'm drinking or I sleep poorly that night. I find taking an Ibuprofen (NOT tylenol) before bed helps with feeling better the next day.

No need for me to go overboard either. I can't stand people who who pressure me to drink more then I want or who drink to get blackout drunk, then complain about it the next day.
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 09:24 AM   #186
Canehdianman
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntingwhale View Post
Every friday I buy a 2/6 of vodka and that lasts me all weekend, but usually there will be a couple shots leftover. I don't drink during the week (except for a pint on wing night if I go) or sundays. Just Fridays and Saturdays for me.

I don't get hungover too often, unless I don't keep hydrated at all while I'm drinking or I sleep poorly that night. I find taking an Ibuprofen (NOT tylenol) before bed helps with feeling better the next day.

No need for me to go overboard either. I can't stand people who who pressure me to drink more then I want or who drink to get blackout drunk, then complain about it the next day.
1/3rd of a bottle of vodka for an entire weekend isn't bad at all.
Canehdianman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Canehdianman For This Useful Post:
Old 10-25-2016, 10:06 AM   #187
rain_e
Scoring Winger

Exp:

You can write it aa 26 of vodka. You do realize what the 2 and 6 stand for right?
rain_e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 11:18 AM   #188
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not sure why people drink vodka when whiskey exists.
peter12 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to peter12 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-25-2016, 11:50 AM   #189
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter12 View Post
Some Canadian patriot you are. It's Whisky.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CroFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 10-25-2016, 11:54 AM   #190
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
Vodka has no scent, so you can have it at work.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 10-25-2016, 12:01 PM   #191
Knut

Exp:

Quote:
Brown liquor does not sit well with me. All my friends turn into #######s and my nose hurts the next day. Vodka I can drink and it will feel like a normal day the next day.

The past few years I can not drink draft beer. Even one will give me a hangover. Bottled/canned beer doesnt bother me.
Knut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 12:17 PM   #192
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
Vodka has no scent, so you can have it at work.
You're not drinking Hennigans.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 10-25-2016, 12:22 PM   #193
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hes View Post
Brown liquor does not sit well with me. All my friends turn into #######s and my nose hurts the next day.
Ah the old scientific "This flavor of ethanol drink makes people angry" and "this flavor of ethanol drink makes girls easy" theory.
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bill Bumface For This Useful Post:
Old 10-25-2016, 12:28 PM   #194
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Whiskey makes Hes do cocaine. Interesting.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 12:29 PM   #195
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Bumface View Post
Ah the old scientific "This flavor of ethanol drink makes people angry" and "this flavor of ethanol drink makes girls easy" theory.
Thats always been an issue for me. I dont have a 'drink' that affects my behaviour, some give me a worse hangover on occasion, but nothing crazy.

But I constantly have friends that say; "Whisky makes me crazy!"

And I've seen it. If he gets drunk on Whisky he goes insane.

So I've always been sort of on the fence on that. Logically it doesnt make sense to me that one particular drink or type of alcohol dramatically effects you differently, but on the other hand.....I dont really know.

It sounds like a self-fulfilling prophecy to me. If you tell yourself that a certain type of alcohol does this to you you're just working your own way there.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 10-25-2016, 12:34 PM   #196
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
"Whisky makes me crazy!"

And I've seen it. If he gets drunk on Whisky he goes insane.
I think the type of person that claims that is the type of person that looks for an excuse to be an even bigger idiot when drunk on certain occasions.

"The psychosocial explanation for alcohol's differential behavioral outcomes closely resembles the results of studies on alcohol expectancy effects, which examine not only the way people behave when they've ingested alcohol, but how they behave when they think they've ingested alcohol. Consider for example that even when test subjects are given a standardized dose of ethanol, and attain the same blood alcohol level as other study participants, their reactions tend to vary dramatically. Some act utterly sloshed, while others barely bat an eye."

http://io9.gizmodo.com/do-different-...ds-o-482710477

There is merit to the different levels of hangover however.
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 12:35 PM   #197
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I think the type of person that claims that is the type of person that looks for an excuse to be an even bigger idiot when drunk on certain occasions.

"The psychosocial explanation for alcohol's differential behavioral outcomes closely resembles the results of studies on alcohol expectancy effects, which examine not only the way people behave when they've ingested alcohol, but how they behave when they think they've ingested alcohol. Consider for example that even when test subjects are given a standardized dose of ethanol, and attain the same blood alcohol level as other study participants, their reactions tend to vary dramatically. Some act utterly sloshed, while others barely bat an eye."

See, and I totally agree with that. Its just anecdotal experience has left me on the fence.

Old 10-25-2016, 12:45 PM   #198
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:

I find drinks like Whiskey and Tequila have tastes that linger with you longer. I can feel and taste the booze in my upper chest longer. It's almost like a feeling of indigestion, which makes you less relaxed. I also tend to drink those drinks faster than I would a beer, and get drunk easier as a result. There's also a ritual associated with Tequila, which gets you more amped up.

Meanwhile, while drinking a beer, I can just casually drink them and sink into my chair.

But yes, there could be a psychological aspect associated with the taste, but it's probably a little from column A and a little from column B type scenario.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 01:17 PM   #199
Knut

Exp:

It is most likely psychological. Likely stemming from my dad swearing off it when he was young due to lots of fighting. Last time I truly got drunk on whiskey was over a decade ago. So maybe I would be good now and not a university student drinking $5 rye ginger triples
Knut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 01:35 PM   #200
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Whiskey (or anything dark) gives me gut rot. My #1 favourite drink of all time is rye and coke. But it eats me alive from the inside. I used to be quite the whiskey drinker. But it almost ruined drinking for me entirely.

At one point I was getting sever stomach pains from even a couple sips of hard liquor. Moved over to beer, but I missed the high ball life. Eventually I settled on vodka since I found it gives me the least stomach pains (pretty much none), and I can mix it with almost anything. Now I'm just used to it.

It's weird. I'm now fine with drinking pretty much anything. But for some reason whiskey just causes me physical pain so I don't mess with it anymore.
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote