Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-21-2016, 08:44 AM   #1
taco.vidal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:
Default Do you drink a lot? How much do you drink?

I read an article yesterday about how Phil Collins became an alcoholic later in life after never having issues with booze earlier in life. The article taked about how older folk are increasing abusing booze. I have in fact noticed this among people I know.

I used to booze it up a lot through university and then the first few years of my career. When youre young, its amazing how its possible to function on little or no sleep after a night of drinking, even after consecutive nughts of drinking. For a number of reasons I cut down on the booze as I got older, as many or even most people do.

Ive got friends and coworkers who range anywhere from mid30s to mid50s who drink it up a lot quite often. For example, Wednesday night dinner party with friends where the wine bottle after wine bottle gets opened. Then the next day includes rolling into work late, looking like #### (pale, bags under the eyes, etc) and probably being pretty unproductive based on how slow they are even in conversation. Ive also got staff that call in sick a lot, often always on the same day of the week, with illness described as the flu but only lasts one day.

Boozing is bad for a lot of reasons. Bad for the liver, bad for overall health, usually you eat like #### when you drink, the calories in booze are huge (beer gut is another give away of a drinker), and iften drinking will keep you from doing other things that you enjoy that might be better for you. And not to mention the strain it can put on relationships with the spouse and kids. (But often time thats the reason for drinking as its selfmedicating to deal with the ####ty family or job or other problems.)

These days Ill have a few drinks on weekends but anything approaching a binge only once every month or two because the body just cant handle it these days.
taco.vidal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 08:47 AM   #2
Luder
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Luder is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Luder For This Useful Post:
Old 10-21-2016, 08:48 AM   #3
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

I used to drink almost a case of beer every weekend until I had a kid. Now I have one or two ounces of brandy on Saturday (and Friday if I can stay up long enough). Not enough to get a buzz really, but I like the taste and it helps me relax after being wound up at work all week.

I also lost 28 pounds since I stopped drinking beer. (humble brag)
Old 10-21-2016, 08:55 AM   #4
Swarly
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

33 here, I'll drink a couple beers (or drinks) one or two night during the week, just depends if we go to the pub for dinner or if I'm watching a game. Most weekends its Friday or Saturday drink-a-thons at a rotating 3 or 4 houses of the same group of friends. Pretty easy for me to finish most of if not all of a 40 over those weekends, but at the same time if they don't happen for weeks between I'm not itching for a drink so I figure not an alcoholic, just blessed (cursed?) with a god-like alcohol tolerance and liver recovery time as hangovers are a one or two times a year thing when I've really gone hard.
Swarly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 08:56 AM   #5
pseudoreality
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I'm mid 30s with a toddler. I have one drink when I get home from work almost every day. Once every few months my buddies and I have a guy's night where I'll have three or four pints and I regret it at 3 or 4 in morning. My body just can't handle more than three drinks anymore.

What I'm not sure about is if it's healthy or not fore to have my one drink a day?
pseudoreality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 09:01 AM   #6
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pseudoreality View Post
I'm mid 30s with a toddler. I have one drink when I get home from work almost every day. Once every few months my buddies and I have a guy's night where I'll have three or four pints and I regret it at 3 or 4 in morning. My body just can't handle more than three drinks anymore.

What I'm not sure about is if it's healthy or not fore to have my one drink a day?
Same. I used to be able to drink a tonne without a hangover but now I just can't. Alcohol in large amounts just stopped agreeing with me.

Plus, hangover aside, when you have a child that you want to play with and interact with in the morning, it is a huge guilt trip to be hungover and not being able to be at 100% for them. They learn a lot in those first awake hours.
Old 10-21-2016, 09:06 AM   #7
Nufy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Late 40's... (47)

Depending on my mood...

Some weeks I will have a drink or two...or more during the week when I get home from work just because I feel like it.

I can go to a Stamps / Flames game and totally enjoy myself sober...

There are times I can go weeks without having a drink just because don't feel like it.

In 2014 I rank a full 40 oz of Appletons watching the Stamps win the Grey cup...

Lets not even mention the CP Softball camping tournament...

So.....Yes.......and No......
Old 10-21-2016, 09:09 AM   #8
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

I can't have more than 2-3 drinks without getting a hang-over the next day.

What's wrong with me?

Last edited by troutman; 10-21-2016 at 09:53 AM.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 10-21-2016, 09:16 AM   #9
LouCypher
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I'm in the 2 or 3 gets me drunk boat too. I'm 38 have really stopped drinking for the most part over the last 5 years. I have kept count on the amount of drinks I have had all year and currently stand at 13. I think I would be pleased if I finish the year at less than 20. Some people its part of their lifestyle so I do beleive to each their own but I also find that some people that I work with who do drink regularly and come in hungover are generally less productive than the rest.
LouCypher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 09:22 AM   #10
socalwingfan
Retired

Exp:

Late 40's - I never drink during the week unless I am at a concert/game - which works out to a couple of times a year. Most weekends, I go through 12 Grolsch - sometimes more but there are weekends were I won't drink because I don't feel like it.
When I'm on vacation, i pretty much drink all day - not getting loaded, I am a pretty social drinker and take my time. I usually take a month or 2 of no-booze after vacation to give my liver some recovery time
socalwingfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 09:25 AM   #11
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

late 40's and I'm a pretty rare drinker now, just because of the damage that heavy drinking caused to my hands.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 10-21-2016, 09:27 AM   #12
Swift
Not Taylor

Exp:

Mid 30s. I barely drink at all. A pint or two on Paddy's Day, another with Thanksgiving dinner, and a few more around Christmas and that's it. I was never a big drinker, university was my high point, but I had to cut down involuntarily due to health reasons.

I made the mistake of drinking 4-5 glasses of wine at a wedding recently, and had the absolute worst hangover of my life the next day.
Swift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 09:29 AM   #13
woob
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Often have a drink with dinner but that's about it. Every now and then I have a 3-4 pint outing with buddies or what not, and I always order water with every one. Water doesn't always help though, and I usually feel like arse the next day.
woob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 09:29 AM   #14
Canehdianman
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

late 30s. I barely drink compared to how much I used to drink.

I'm a pretty big guy so I can still have 3-4 pints and wake up without a hangover, but I used to be able to drink a lot more than that and wake up fine.

I've found that having a few kids has greatly reduced the free time I had to hang out at pubs, so now I brew beer with my brothers and enjoy that instead. I actually enjoy the brewing more than the drinking too.
Canehdianman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 09:35 AM   #15
Nyah
First Line Centre

Exp:

Early 30s and I have a glass of wine or two every night with & after dinner. Anything more than that and my body wakes me up at 2:00 in the morning for a few hours. I do tend to drink more on the weekends though. I usually pay for it.
Nyah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 09:49 AM   #16
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

I generally never drink unless at a celebratory get together.

... and then I drink like I'm trying to die.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 10-21-2016, 09:49 AM   #17
Iggy_12
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Rarely drink during the week unless out for a game with buddies. Weekends I often indulge either Friday or Saturday. Ive learned my perfect limit where i won't hate myself the next day but still maximize the fun. Haven't had a real hangover since my early 20's
Iggy_12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 09:53 AM   #18
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

If only there was some legal substance that gave me the good feels, without a hang-over.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 10-21-2016, 09:56 AM   #19
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Good job, CP. Nobody over indulges. Let's add that to the list of how awesome we are.

Wing night with my friends can get messy. Usually a few pints each, but every couple of months we'll go completely overboard for no reason. Those are fun, but the hangover is soooooo hard to handle these days.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 10-21-2016, 09:56 AM   #20
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

I have a hangover today as a matter of fact. Out last night drinking with some of my customers in Scottsdale. 2 days of drinking all day and night is too much for me now. I'm paying for it today.

At home we almost never drink, not even on special occasions really. I may have a couple of beers a month but that's it. Being hungover in my forties just doesn't cut it. I don't like having to drag my ass all day.
SportsJunky is offline   Reply With Quote