Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-09-2016, 07:38 PM   #1
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:
Default Calgary man's version of "to catch a predator"

...except he may be intentionally framing or entrapping the so called "creeps".

I'm not sure what the right term is. Basically some attention seeking "internet hero" is posing as a young girl then meeting up with men and Internet shaming them and ruining their lives. Problem is that not only is he operating outside the law but he may actually be misleading the men by posing as an adult female then doing a switch at the last second. Presumably for the purpose of hits.

Quote:
The man admits arranging a meeting with a person he believed to be a woman named Amanda, but said the online dating profile that initially caught his attention stated her age as 18.

After exchanging messages for two days, he said they set a place to meet in person, when suddenly her story changed.

"Just before our meet-up, she mentioned that she was 14 and then she corrected herself and said, 'No, I'm actually 13,'" he said. "Then she corrected herself and said, 'I'm 15.'"

"I thought 'OK, this is a complete joke. She's just messing around, wanting to get a reaction out of me.' I said, 'OK that doesn't matter. Your profile says you're 18. I'm taking you on fact that you are 18.'"

He said he then went to the arranged meeting place, a strip mall in the city's northeast, not sure exactly what to expect.

"I'd have no intention if they came out straightforward in the first text and said 'Oh, by the way, I'm 13 years old.' I would have said, 'No. This is done. We're not talking any more.'"

The confrontation

Video of the ensuing confrontation depicts Raymond walking up to the man's van, parked outside the strip mall, and knocking on his window and telling him to roll it down, which he does.

"You here to meet a 13-year-old girl?" Raymond asks.

"No," the man replies.

The two argue back and forth for about 30 seconds before the man rolls his window back up.

"I've got over two million views on my Facebook," Raymond yells as the man drives away. "Everyone's going to know who the f--k you are, you pedophile f--k."
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgar...gary-1.3527420

Obviously men meeting 13 year olds is wrong but if it is true that this psycho is setting up dating profiles for adults then pulling a bait and switch for Internet views I hope he's found either criminally responsible, though not sure on the crime, or sued for what tiny amount he's worth.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 07:42 PM   #2
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

If that's true he needs to be in jail for a long time. Not that I trust our police force to anything regarding online bullying/harassment as they seem to brush it off most of the time.

But yeah, he's already ruined a few lives, and IIRC one of the people he ruined committed suicide (although that may have been related to the other guy in eastern Canada that they were comparing this guy to). SJW"s are the absolute worst, but the nature of the internet is they're kings and the people targeted for their shamings rightly or wrongly become ruined as the internet cheers it on.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 07:47 PM   #3
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

You know what, changing the story from 18 to 13 should send anybody with half a brain running the other direction as fast as possible, if not straight to the cops to try to save a potential minor, not heading to a strip mall in the NE for a hook up. "You're done bud".
OMG!WTF! is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to OMG!WTF! For This Useful Post:
Old 04-09-2016, 07:57 PM   #4
jayswin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMG!WTF! View Post
You know what, changing the story from 18 to 13 should send anybody with half a brain running the other direction as fast as possible, if not straight to the cops to try to save a potential minor, not heading to a strip mall in the NE for a hook up. "You're done bud".
Oh for sure, part of it is on anyone that's involved, but the point is he's deliberately misleading men to the end of their lives, to bolster the "success" of his campaign, and the fact that the Calgary Police didn't put an end to what he was doing right away is very damning on them, but right in line with how most police forces secretly love this stuff as it gets society to basically work for them.

Obviously some actually are pedophiles, but that's irrelevant when you consider the old saying "I'd rather guilty men go free than one innocent man go to jail", which applies to the actual justice system, which doesn't even come into play here, as he's acting as judge jury and executioner outside the law.
Old 04-09-2016, 08:02 PM   #5
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

There is no doubt all of the videos I have seen are 100% pedophiles. The guys basically admit everything and ask for forgiveness. He also hands over everything to the cops for the investigation. So this seems like a one off. But who knows. If he's doing this regularly then he's not going to last much longer.

And I don't know about judge, jury and executioner. Once you leave your house it's fair game.
The Following User Says Thank You to OMG!WTF! For This Useful Post:
Old 04-09-2016, 08:07 PM   #6
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Think he's been at it since the fall, some of his videos popped up on reddit back then. Guy seems like a total loon. Doing it for the internet fame more than anything, trying to create catch phrases, bragging about views on facebook and youtube. Certifiable idiot.

IIRC RCMP can't use anything he gives them, probably entrapment to boot. He's basically creating these situations and pushing any predator more underground.
MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 08:38 PM   #7
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think pushing predators further underground is a great idea. I'm willing to bet this has scared more than a few people straight. But the best would be if cops would work with people like this. There was a father who posed as his daughter's online pervert in Toronto and the cops gathered the evidence and got a 22 year sentence. Hire the guy. Apparently there are more than enough creeps to go around.
Old 04-09-2016, 08:52 PM   #8
jayswin

Exp:

Quote:
I think pushing predators further underground is a great idea. I'm willing to bet this has scared more than a few people straight. But the best would be if cops would work with people like this. There was a father who posed as his daughter's online pervert in Toronto and the cops gathered the evidence and got a 22 year sentence. Hire the guy. Apparently there are more than enough creeps to go around.
Huh? Police forces have entire departments dedicated to this. They actually do what this guy does every single day. Difference is they just make an arrest and let it go to court within our judicial system instead of going to the internet and ruining the life right then and there.

And I highly doubt a police force would hire a guy like him. I could be wrong, but judging by how he conducts myself he strikes me as someone who would fail the interview process for becoming a cop.
Old 04-09-2016, 09:01 PM   #9
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

Do they really do this every day? I mean you hear about prostitution stings once in a while but never anything like this. There seems to be way too many predators coming out of the wood work too. But I just don't know.

The group Perverted Justice does this exact thing in coordination with law enforcement in the states. They started off kind of rough like this guy. Now they instruct law enforcement. It could be the start of something good here.
Old 04-09-2016, 09:33 PM   #10
Amethyst
First Line Centre

Exp:

I saw one of this guy's videos awhile ago, as someone had posted it on Facebook. He definitely comes across as creepy as the guy he's setting up.

I disagree that pushing it underground is in any way helpful. Most pedophiles are not going to stop because someone confronts them with a cell phone in a parking lot. This guy is just recording stuff to be a "hero." I don't see how it helps law enforcement or victims at all.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Amethyst For This Useful Post:
Old 04-09-2016, 09:57 PM   #11
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:
Default Calgary man's version of "to catch a predator"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
I don't see how it helps law enforcement or victims at all.

Exactly this. You want these people caught, and either put through therapy or jailed. How is it helpful to anyone at all if you embarrass someone who might harm a child and then say "Ok, go free! I got my YouTube likes!"

Great job. Free reign to do it again more carefully. You managed to save... well, basically just the one kid you pretended to be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
And I highly doubt a police force would hire a guy like him.

For reasons you mentioned plus that face tattoo. Ew.
PepsiFree is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 10:21 PM   #12
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Spent five minutes going over screen shots of the latest "creep". The way the Creep Catchers kept leading the conversation down the sexual road is actually pretty disturbing.

http://static1.squarespace.com/stati...pg?format=750w
MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 10:35 PM   #13
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Do they really do this every day? I mean you hear about prostitution stings once in a while but never anything like this. There seems to be way too many predators coming out of the wood work too. But I just don't know.

The group Perverted Justice does this exact thing in coordination with law enforcement in the states. They started off kind of rough like this guy. Now they instruct law enforcement. It could be the start of something good here.

Did the Perverted Justice people ever go on adult dating sites, pretend to be 18, arrange a date and then pretend to be underage just before the meeting?
Wormius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 11:39 PM   #14
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
Did the Perverted Justice people ever go on adult dating sites, pretend to be 18, arrange a date and then pretend to be underage just before the meeting?
I'm sure not. Their work to date, according to their website has resulted in 600 convictions and exactly zero acquittals. Why shouldn't we have the exact same thing here? The argument that it drives perverts underground is totally bizarre. It's not making them better perverts. It's making it more risky to lure children. If every myspace like website had undercover profiles we'd have way fewer creeps. It's not like these guys are cyber geniuses building dark web chat rooms to lure kids. We should be promoting and training how to do this properly. Driving perverts under ground is in fact the entire goal.
Old 04-10-2016, 12:11 AM   #15
Amethyst
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
I'm sure not. Their work to date, according to their website has resulted in 600 convictions and exactly zero acquittals. Why shouldn't we have the exact same thing here? The argument that it drives perverts underground is totally bizarre. It's not making them better perverts. It's making it more risky to lure children. If every myspace like website had undercover profiles we'd have way fewer creeps. It's not like these guys are cyber geniuses building dark web chat rooms to lure kids. We should be promoting and training how to do this properly. Driving perverts under ground is in fact the entire goal.
I have no faith in the guy I saw being able to do things in a way that would hold up in court.

The one I saw, the guy drove away in his van. If he was a pedophile looking for child victims, he's not suddenly going to stop. He might start looking for them in a different way but these are not the kinds of criminals a "scared straight" moment is going to work on.

Why would this be the goal? I want pedophiles stopped or put in jail. Not hiding out at home until they can figure a new way to lure children.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 12:35 AM   #16
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
It is bizarre to me that you are defending his guy's moronic, deplorable, borderline illegal behaviour because of some other group that may operate successfully elsewhere.

This guy is a creep and a fame whore. He is not protecting kids one bit.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 04-10-2016, 01:08 AM   #17
Jets4Life
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Perverted Justice was corrupt as can be. I remember hearing about the suicide of a well respected District Attorney in Texas that never took the bait, but NBC and perverted justice pressured the Police Department into getting an arrest warrant, and acting. The DA committed suicide, all Police Officers that were responsible for the "bust" were fired, and "To Catch a Predator" came to an unceremonious end.

Speaking of Perverted Justice, did you know that instead of putting their money to worthwhile causes, like Children's Rights advocacy, they blew millions of dollars on houses, cars, and vacations. It's speaks volumes about the organization. They were eventually exposed as a bunch of creeps acting like bullies, with internet saavy, then what they claimed to be (protectors of children).

Here is the Perverted Justice founder in action:

There is also some Vigilante on Oklahoma City who also runs around with a video camera, catching Johns and Prostitutes. Turns out the so-called vigilante is more interested in web hits, and exploiting people for profit:

http://www.thelostogle.com/2011/10/1...f-a-vigilante/

These people that engage in this kind of activity usually have the most to hide. I would be willing to bet that this so-called SJW in Calgary has some pretty big skeletons in his closet that the public is unaware of..
Jets4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 01:10 AM   #18
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's not just this guy. It's dozens of people across the country. And it's the exact same idea as Perverted Justice which works well. I just looked on their web site and they answer the exact same questions people have here about driving pedophiles under ground.

To the exact point of the thread, sure Dawson Raymond might not be the right guy for the job. But as a general point, this is a good idea and we should develop a workable model that nets us 600 convictions. Or at the very least I would suggest all the pedophiles who are at home thinking of better ways to lure kids because we've taken away the low hanging fruit are at least not actually luring kids.
Old 04-10-2016, 01:16 AM   #19
Jets4Life
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
How many convictions have they had since 2008?

You must have not heard anything about the group in 10 years. They haven't done anything productive, and the organization is completely broke. Ever hear of the Julia Tuttle Causeway in Miami?

How on earth are these measures making society safe? Do you really feel comfortable having every single sex offender in Southern Alberta living within a couple of blocks at the Calgary Drop in Centre, where they are homeless, living under bridges, and more likely to be socially deviant and using alcohol and drugs? Personally, I would be all for preventative measures that would force treatment on the offender so they don't violate anyone sexually.
Old 04-10-2016, 01:22 AM   #20
Jets4Life
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
It's not just this guy. It's dozens of people across the country. And it's the exact same idea as Perverted Justice which works well. I just looked on their web site and they answer the exact same questions people have here about driving pedophiles under ground.

To the exact point of the thread, sure Dawson Raymond might not be the right guy for the job. But as a general point, this is a good idea and we should develop a workable model that nets us 600 convictions. Or at the very least I would suggest all the pedophiles who are at home thinking of better ways to lure kids because we've taken away the low hanging fruit are at least not actually luring kids.
On the contrary, it never has worked well at all. Years ago, I recall seeing a US Sex Offender website, where you could use something similar to google maps, to zoom in on anyone who was convicted of a sexual offense. It turns out that they are in every single neighborhood in the US. How is that helping anyone? It's more likely to spread fear and paranoia in the community.

The vast majority of sex offenses are committed by people the victim knows (family member, friends, etc.)? These methods have proven to be complete failures, and do more harm than good. Believe me, just ask anyone who has taken criminology courses in a post-secondary institution.

Last edited by Jets4Life; 04-10-2016 at 01:24 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jets4Life For This Useful Post: