Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-01-2015, 09:58 AM   #1
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Hockey Equipment Sprays

Are there any equipment de-odorizers that are highly recommended? Are there any good homemade options for reducing equipment stink?
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 10:00 AM   #2
Otto-matic
Franchise Player

Exp:

For the summer I used a mix of bleach and water to kill any germs, rinsed em off and let em sun bake.

I think there is a place in Max bell that will wash your equipment, its probably a good idea anyways to rid it of any bacteria. I'll probably end up doing that with mine in the next few weeks.
Otto-matic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 10:05 AM   #3
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

I take my gear to Max Bell once a year, costs about $50 to clean it. Kills the stink, makes the gear feel better too.
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 10:13 AM   #4
Simon96Taco
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I put mine in the washer on the delicate cycle and add bleach. Then I put it in the dryer on a low heat setting. Works great, never harmed anything.

All I do beforehand is make sure all the velcro straps are all done up to minimize any tangling/clumping while it's all tumbling around in there.
Simon96Taco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 10:15 AM   #5
CMPunk
aka Spike

Exp:

Take it out of the bag and hang it up to dry after every game. Give it the ole Febreeze anti bacterial spray when it needs it. I've never had an issue with my equipment stinking.
CMPunk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CMPunk For This Useful Post:
Old 10-01-2015, 10:17 AM   #6
metallicat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Nothing worse than sitting next to the guy in the locker room that leaves his nasty equipment locked and sealed up between games. Spread that stuff out and let it dry!
Old 10-01-2015, 10:18 AM   #7
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah I am not a fan of sprays, they really don't clean the gear.

I have cleaned it myself, at home similar to what people have posted here, but I have also gotten it done professional. I find the gear is much cleaner if you get it Esporta'd.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 10:25 AM   #8
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

1:1 Vinegar and water mixture in spray bottle. Let it air dry. A little acidity, wind and UV rays will do wonders in killing germs and getting rid of scent. After it's dry, no vinegar smell is left. Sounds odd, but is true.

I personally wouldn't use bleach. Bad if any skin contact to it. My backup plan with scent if Vinegar isn't desired... vanilla vodka (or plain or whatever other flavor you want) and water mixture in bottle 1:1. More expensive than bleach, but I think price point is cheaper than using febreeze.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 10:27 AM   #9
Angelamc
Backup Goalie

Exp:

The hockey Mom in me is going to call all of you liars. Your gear stinks! Freshly washed, bleached, febreezed, Esporta'd, it still stinks. The options available simply take a tiny bit of the edge off and I agree with above posters, airing it out in between uses, taking it to Max Bell a couple of times a season and laundering the washables are all helpful. Oh and pulling the insoles out of your skates to dry out between uses prolongs the life of your rivets, skates and helps with the smell.

Last edited by Angelamc; 10-01-2015 at 10:35 AM.
Angelamc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 10:31 AM   #10
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

The equipment doesn't smell too bad as it always gets aired out either on the deck or in the basement. I find that the gloves are the worst offenders though.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to calgarygeologist For This Useful Post:
Old 10-01-2015, 10:32 AM   #11
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelamc View Post
The hockey Mom in me is going to call all of you liars. Your gear stinks! Freshly washed, bleached, febreezed, Esporta'd, it still stinks. The options available simply take a tiny bit of the edge off and I agree with above posters, airing it out in between uses, taking it to Max Bell a couple of times a season and laundering the washables are all helpful. Oh and pulling the insoles out of your skates to dry out between uses prolongs the life of your rivets,
skates and helps with the smell.

I had my stuff Esporta'd this fall.

There is no smell, none at all.
Old 10-01-2015, 10:35 AM   #12
Angelamc
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post

Well, then clearly you aren't playing hard enough
Angelamc is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Angelamc For This Useful Post:
Old 10-01-2015, 10:37 AM   #13
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelamc View Post
Well, then clearly you aren't playing hard enough
I can agree with this post.
Old 10-01-2015, 10:38 AM   #14
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post

Agreed.

Like I said I get it done once a year, and near the end of the season it may smell a bit but once it's cleaned the smell is gone.
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 10:47 AM   #15
northcrunk
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Don't take it to Max Bell. Take your equipment to DONE RIGHT. It is $30 to pack their industrial sanitizer full of your equipment and it does a great job. But remember they are cash only. This is also the best place to get your skate sharpened/radius done.
northcrunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 11:14 AM   #16
bc-chris
Franchise Player

Exp:

i've put most of my goalie gear in the wash in the past, but the one time the goalie pants really rubbed on something and it wore a small hole thru the pants... no big deal - i just throw pant shells over them now.

but becuz of that, i just wash my stuff in the tub every 2-3 months - i use laundry soap and bleach and even fabric softener (blocker, trapper, chest gear, pants, jock, knee pads). i haven't wash my goal pads yet. i do spray everything with antibacterial febreeze after every game and all my stuff is hung to dry after every game

pretty much all the other stuff is washed after every game (shirt, coreshorts, socks, jersey, forehead band inside of mask)

i find that routine helps a lot
Old 10-01-2015, 11:24 AM   #17
northcrunk
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I hate using newly cleaned gear. I need some stink to feel like I'm playing hockey.
northcrunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 11:57 AM   #18
puckedoff
First Line Centre

Exp:

I just take my post-game shower prior to undressing, keeps my gear irish spring clean. $0.02
puckedoff is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to puckedoff For This Useful Post:
Old 10-01-2015, 12:55 PM   #19
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

i used to really love playing against those guys who left their gear in their trunk from September to april - and then also never washed their jersey.....nothing like seeing an adult in a yellow jersey with a bunch fo sweat and dirt stains on it......

Personally, I'd recommend seeing Todd at No Sweat on MacLeod. Otherwise, you cna wash most of your gear in the washing machine, and always air it out after using it.

If you wear an underarmour shirt, wash it for sure - those things stink to high heaven when they are not washed......clean gear = reduced risk of skin irritation/infection etc.....
Old 10-01-2015, 01:16 PM   #20
bc-chris
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post
i used to really love playing against those guys who left their gear in their trunk from September to april - and then also never washed their jersey.....nothing like seeing an adult in a yellow jersey with a bunch fo sweat and dirt stains on it......

Personally, I'd recommend seeing Todd at No Sweat on MacLeod. Otherwise, you cna wash most of your gear in the washing machine, and always air it out after using it.

If you wear an underarmour shirt, wash it for sure - those things stink to high heaven when they are not washed......clean gear = reduced risk of skin irritation/infection etc.....
that reminds me of a buddy of mine that plays goal - every morning after he played he always found his chin would have a rash/zits on it. finally he checked his mask and noticed a fungus growing on his chin strap - so gross!

another buddy of mine (who i don't think has ever washed his gear - it's disgusting) played with stitches around his elbow. the next day he was at the hospital having to get puss drained out of his elbow and he ended up missing a bunch of hockey