Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-27-2012, 03:03 AM   #41
VO #23
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flameswin View Post
Aggravated assault? Shouldn't they have been charged with attempted murder?
Recklessness isn't enough to establish the specific intent requirement for attempted murder, there has to be an attempt with specific intent to kill that failed.
VO #23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 11:33 AM   #42
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by VO #23 View Post
Recklessness isn't enough to establish the specific intent requirement for attempted murder, there has to be an attempt with specific intent to kill that failed.
I'd like to see an addon to the Canadian Justice system that if you commit a violent crime for a thrill that no matter if its assault to murder it automatically adds 5 years to your prison term, and it becomes mandatory that you serve it in a federal prison.

With aggravated assault both of those losers are probably only going to get 6 months in jail.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 01:08 PM   #43
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by VO #23 View Post
Ok, it seems really weird to me. If the guy dies, then they're charged with murder, a very dispicable murder at that. But if he clings ot life and is messed up for the rest if his life, they are charged with aggravated assault and are likely back on the streets very soon.

I'm no law expert, but in my eyes, if you beat someone to within an inch of their life, you should be charged as if you intended to kill them, as imo, at some point in the beating you had to have known how far you were going.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 05-27-2012, 01:43 PM   #44
JonDuke
Franchise Player

Exp:

^Welcome to the Canadian justice system!
JonDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JonDuke For This Useful Post:
Old 06-13-2012, 12:25 AM   #45
FiftyBelow
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgar...-upgraded.html

Charges have been upgraded to attempted murder. The defense seems pretty confident that the crown won't be able to prove intent. From what little was said, the crown suggests that the extent of the injuries might be enough to prove attempted murder. The victim is still in critical condition. I sure hope the defendants get what they deserve. It's disgusting to thinking that there are actually people out there who would beat someone to near death randomly and without provocation.
Old 06-13-2012, 12:48 AM   #46
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Is that a ploy to get them to plead guilty to a lesser charge than attempted murder?

I do hope they get convicted of this though. It's hard to imagine that when beating the guy, their intent was to only beat him to within an inch of his life. If they were beating him, and tried to kill him, but failed, that should be attempted murder. I don't think you should have to be conspiring or planning a murder in advance for it to be considered attempted murder.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 08:25 AM   #47
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Isn't that what manslaughter charges are for though? I like the attempted murder charges upgrade, but that may be difficult to prove as the defense is suggesting unless there is some golden nugget piece of evidence.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 08:45 AM   #48
YYC in LAX
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame View Post
Isn't that what manslaughter charges are for though? I like the attempted murder charges upgrade, but that may be difficult to prove as the defense is suggesting unless there is some golden nugget piece of evidence.
I thought manslaughter only kicked in if the person dies. No such thing as attempted manslaughter or near-manslaughter...I think.

YYC in LAX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 01:51 PM   #49
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Victim has passed away sadly...

Quote:
The victim of a vicious Beltline beating who's been in a vegetative state since May has died, a friend of the family confirmed to the Sun.

John Herrera-Garcia, 49, was recently moved to a hospice and familymembers were told to brace for his death, said Indira Caro, a member of Calgary's Colombian community who was notified by the victim's mother Wednesday morning.

"They tried to keep him on, but there was no hope," she said.

"His brain just wasn't responding."

Two Calgary men — 26-year-old Garrett Elliot Lee Smith and 22-year-old Jarod Donald Henry — were charged with aggravated assault in connection with the May 19 attack.

A third female suspect, Chantelle Tiffany Campbell, 27, was also arrested, with the charges for all three later upgraded to attempted murder.

Crown prosecutor Ken McCaffrey said witnesses reported all three people charged repeatedly kicked Herrera-Garcia after the victim was knocked down on a street near his home.

McCaffrey said the motivation for the attack appeared to be a belief Herrera-Garcia, a father of three, had kicked the car the trio was in.

The Calgary Police Service is expected to consult with the Crown to upgrade the charges in light of Herrera-Garcia's death.
http://www.calgarysun.com/2012/09/12...lgary-hospital

So with the three losers now to be facing murder charges, I certainly hope they all get the max. This being Canada, I expect parole for all 3 by 2015.
Old 09-12-2012, 02:01 PM   #50
Ozy_Flame

Exp:

Can someone remind me why we don't have the death penalty here again?

What an unfortunate tragedy and an embarassing stain on Calgary's safe community image. First the Brazilian who was (accidentally) shot in the eye due to a drug-deal gone bad, now this.

Hopefully the judge makes an example out of these three turds.
Old 09-12-2012, 02:04 PM   #51
sec304
First Line Centre

Exp:

horrible news.. condolences to the family
sec304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 02:05 PM   #52
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

What an unfortunate tragedy and an embarassing stain on Calgary's safe community image. First the Brazilian who was (accidentally) shot in the eye due to a drug-deal gone bad, now this.

The guy who was blinded was shot in 2008, 4 years ago. If these are the only two events that bother you I would think that is a pretty good track record.
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hockeyguy15 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-12-2012, 02:09 PM   #53
calumniate
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyguy15 View Post
The guy who was blinded was shot in 2008, 4 years ago. If these are the only two events that bother you I would think that is a pretty good track record.
Never met a nicer guy in my life I don't think (the Brazilian)
calumniate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 02:13 PM   #54
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calumniate View Post
Never met a nicer guy in my life I don't think (the Brazilian)
I think that would be pretty tough, learning how to live being blind after being able to see your whole life.
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 02:33 PM   #55
valo403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Not sure what this has to do with anything, no nation with anything close to resembling a respectable justice system would utilize the death penalty in this case.
valo403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 02:36 PM   #56
Language
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Very sad news. Hard to imagine what goes through some people's minds and how they can just beat a man to death.

I hope there's no plea deals here for any of these idiots and all three rot in jail for life.
Language is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 02:41 PM   #57
Ozy_Flame

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by valo403 View Post
Not sure what this has to do with anything, no nation with anything close to resembling a respectable justice system would utilize the death penalty in this case.
Judge Dredd would.

Just sayin'.

And I wouldn't be upset with his prosecution methods for these three turds either
Old 09-12-2012, 02:43 PM   #58
Ozy_Flame

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyguy15 View Post
No there's more, but I'm thinking of South American residents specifically. That is a very niche group, I know.

For some reason it really hits me in the gut when immigrants or foreign residents are caught in the crossfire and/or are victims of crime while being here.
Old 09-12-2012, 04:13 PM   #59
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

I really feel ashamed to be a Calgarian when stuff like this happens. It's really at times like this when you just want to know what the ##### was going through these people's heads.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 04:16 PM   #60
OilKiller
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by valo403 View Post
Maybe we should start.
OilKiller is offline   Reply With Quote