Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-24-2016, 12:51 PM   #961
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

That morning rush SUCKS. Had to do it going to Houston on the way to Panama in March on United. Checked in online the day before, get to the airport (2 hours prior), line for bag tags, line into customs, line into security and finally through and right to the gate with boarding underway.

Hopefully with the new terminal this gets better.
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 12:58 PM   #962
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime View Post
That morning rush SUCKS. Had to do it going to Houston on the way to Panama in March on United. Checked in online the day before, get to the airport (2 hours prior), line for bag tags, line into customs, line into security and finally through and right to the gate with boarding underway.

Hopefully with the new terminal this gets better.
There's no excuse for that new terminal or not. The Calgary airport is consistently the biggest #### show I deal with, and I travel quite a bit. Even the domestic flights in Calgary are a huge problem. They really need to get their security screening under control. People complain about TSA, but man could they teach the people in Calgary here a lesson.
TheAlpineOracle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 12:59 PM   #963
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hmm I am flying to Dallas at 6:15 am next month. I am slightly concerned now.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 01:06 PM   #964
Madman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah, I'm flying to the US on Nov 1 - wonder how painful it'll be.
Madman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 01:06 PM   #965
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't know if there is that much the Airport Authority can do with regards to security, as that all falls under the wonderful domain of the CATSA folks. If they choose to not staff properly or move slowly there may not be much the authority can do but complain to them about it. If anyone knows for sure correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 10-24-2016, 01:07 PM   #966
chummer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAlpineOracle View Post
There's no excuse for that new terminal or not. The Calgary airport is consistently the biggest #### show I deal with, and I travel quite a bit. Even the domestic flights in Calgary are a huge problem. They really need to get their security screening under control. People complain about TSA, but man could they teach the people in Calgary here a lesson.

Nexus is your friend, worth its weight in gold imo.
chummer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to chummer For This Useful Post:
Old 10-24-2016, 01:07 PM   #967
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madman View Post
Yeah, I'm flying to the US on Nov 1 - wonder how painful it'll be.
That could be painful because you'll be in the new terminal on only its second day of operations. Despite all the best planning and those trials things won't go as planned. Hopefully it works out easy for you.
Old 10-24-2016, 01:09 PM   #968
Madman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
That could be painful because you'll be in the new terminal on only its second day of operations. Despite all the best planning and those trials things won't go as planned. Hopefully it works out easy for you.
Yeah, that's what I'm thinking too.

I'll be sure to be extra extra early and hope for the best.
Madman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 01:12 PM   #969
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chummer View Post
Nexus is your friend, worth its weight in gold imo.
The last time I flew to the US, all of the Nexus machines were down on top of the security lineup that was outside of the door to the main concourse. Just an absolute #### shown.
Old 10-24-2016, 01:16 PM   #970
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
I don't know if there is that much the Airport Authority can do with regards to security, as that all falls under the wonderful domain of the CATSA folks. If they choose to not staff properly or move slowly there may not be much the authority can do but complain to them about it. If anyone knows for sure correct me if I'm wrong.
I'm sure if Westjet and Air Canada start complaining it will be addressed. On the day i'm talking about, multiple people missed their flights and both airlines were coming down to security and pulling people out of lines (and I'm not talking about stragglers either, these people were all here 2 hours before their flight).

Meanwhile, only a couple of the security lines were actually open while teams of 4-5 and CATSA people sat there giggling and laughing (not actually working just standing around behind the people working the open lines).

I was close to the point of losing it. I actually had to restrain myself from not screaming at a few of them. These clowns joking and laughing with each other why people are legitimately missing their flights all over the board.

I felt so bad for the woman next to me. She missed her connecting flight despite being their over 2 hours before takeoff.

Last edited by TheAlpineOracle; 10-24-2016 at 01:28 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to TheAlpineOracle For This Useful Post:
Old 10-24-2016, 01:20 PM   #971
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I fly to Seattle the first week the new terminal is open. I'll make damn sure I'm there 3 hours ahead.
Old 10-24-2016, 01:47 PM   #972
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

I feel fortunate I have three weeks until a morning rush transborder flight. Hopefully three weeks is enough time to work out the kinks with the new terminal. I might show up 3 hours early anyway just to be sure (and maybe take in the new terminal if I get through quickly).
Mazrim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 02:26 PM   #973
psicodude
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
The last time I flew to the US, all of the Nexus machines were down on top of the security lineup that was outside of the door to the main concourse. Just an absolute #### shown.
I went to the US just last week and there were only 2 Nexus machines working. I asked a guy working there and he said they were putting all resources into the new terminal, so deal with it.

I thought I read that the new terminal has over 20 Nexus machines now.

Last edited by psicodude; 10-24-2016 at 02:33 PM.
psicodude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 10:38 AM   #974
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

A bit of a soft opening today for the new terminal, the KLM flight and two transborder flights will be utilizing the terminal.
Old 10-26-2016, 10:47 AM   #975
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm flying to Ontario on Saturday. I assume it will all be old terminal, and I won't have any issues?
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 10:48 AM   #976
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm assuming international flights with connections via Canadian cities will not be using this terminal?
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 10:57 AM   #977
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
I'm flying to Ontario on Saturday. I assume it will all be old terminal, and I won't have any issues?
Business as usual Saturday, full opening is on Monday. But since you are domestic nothing different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
I'm assuming international flights with connections via Canadian cities will not be using this terminal?
Do you mean like Air Transat operating YVR-YYC-MAN with the same plane? In that case I do believe they would park at the new terminal upon arriving from YVR, as the next leg is the international one hopping across the pond.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bigtime For This Useful Post:
Old 10-26-2016, 11:25 AM   #978
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Will flights to say Cancun be out of the new terminal? I was assuming not because you don't clear customs here. They currently board out of the domestic terminal and have for as long as I remember.
Old 10-26-2016, 11:32 AM   #979
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

The new terminal is for Transborder (USA) and International flights. So yes, Cancun flights will depart out of the new terminal.

Last edited by Bigtime; 10-26-2016 at 11:36 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bigtime For This Useful Post:
Old 10-26-2016, 11:33 AM   #980
rohara66
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Actually, the last 4 times i've been to the Calgary Airport it has been an absolute #### show. All of these flights were early morning flights between 8 and 10 am. Last time I was so pissed off I emailed Westjet and their response to "If I show up to the airport 2 hours before a domestic flight, I don't feel I should be in jeopardy of missing my flight", was that the Calgary airport is very busy in the morning and maybe I should try and avoid peak flying times if possible.
I thought I was the only one that experienced YYC’s ridiculous early morning ‘rush’ of flights.

####ing ridiculous.

I check in online the day before, select my seats check my bag so I should have to do it grab a baggage tag and be on my way. Well guess what, Westjet in their infinite wisdom has 1 line/2 desks open for people that have done exactly like I have and prepared in advance. Yet they have 6 or 7 desks open for people that need to still check in. WTF? Ended up taking over half an hour to just dump my checked bag. Rush through the remainder of the ‘process’ to get to the gate as the plan is already boarding. Brutal.

Morning flights I arrive 2.5 hours early and deal with it if I get through in a decent amount of time (usually doesn’t happen).
rohara66 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
go flames go , say no to yeg , tunnel of death , yyc