Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-15-2016, 03:13 PM   #401
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

nm

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.

Last edited by undercoverbrother; 09-15-2016 at 03:17 PM.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 03:41 PM   #402
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Reeeeead View Post
IMO, insurance companies likely always start with an offer below true FMV as a negotiating tactic. The average person is going to accept the first offer they get as long as it isn't completely ridiculous. I don't think it takes much to get a second offer out of them. Showing some restraint and making them do some more work is probably enough. I don't think they toss out their list of verifiable sales because some guy sends some random non verifiable information at them.
Well what really happens is they look around (talk to dealerships, etc.) and get an idea of what the car is worth. Its not going to be a straight pinpoint price, but in a general range. Then they look at the specific vehicle and alter the price based on the condition of the vehicle that was lost. Come up with a decent value and put it forward.

So really if the insurance company says "we can give you $7000" and you think its ridiculous because of legitimate things, and are asking for $8000, you can argue it with them and probably come to an agreeable amount. It doesn't mean that you're always going to get $8k, but if you have some evidence that your vehicle is selling for more, has lower mileage, better features and that kind of thing there is some room for movement there.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 04:00 PM   #403
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
Well what really happens is they look around (talk to dealerships, etc.) and get an idea of what the car is worth. Its not going to be a straight pinpoint price, but in a general range. Then they look at the specific vehicle and alter the price based on the condition of the vehicle that was lost. Come up with a decent value and put it forward.
I don't believe that insurance companies talk to dealerships or anything like that to get an idea of value. From my experience, the insurance company gets or generates a vehicle valuation report from a third party (JD Power/Mitchell.) That report contains some information on the condition of the vehicle from the appraiser and some retail pricing and adjustments for three similar vehicles (autotrader listings.) I'm not sure how the report selects the comparable vehicles but in my case the comparables were priced really low. After I received my initial offer and report I found half a dozen more comparable vehicles listed on autotrader and sent the links to my claims advisor. After some back and forth on the other listings my insurance company offered 15% more than there initial offer.

The best thing that anyone can do when dealing with a write off vehicle is to request a copy of the vehicle valuation report because it clearly lays out how they are coming up with an offer.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 04:02 PM   #404
Leeman4Gilmour
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canehdianman View Post
I'm loving the armchair lawyer opinions!
Personally, I'm a google lawyer not an armchair lawyer. Also, a google mechanic, google doctor, and google home renovator.
Leeman4Gilmour is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Leeman4Gilmour For This Useful Post:
Old 09-15-2016, 04:10 PM   #405
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post

The best thing that anyone can do when dealing with a write off vehicle is to request a copy of the vehicle valuation report because it clearly lays out how they are coming up with an offer.
Excellent advice.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 04:16 PM   #406
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
I don't believe that insurance companies talk to dealerships or anything like that to get an idea of value. From my experience, the insurance company gets or generates a vehicle valuation report from a third party (JD Power/Mitchell.) That report contains some information on the condition of the vehicle from the appraiser and some retail pricing and adjustments for three similar vehicles (autotrader listings.) I'm not sure how the report selects the comparable vehicles but in my case the comparables were priced really low. After I received my initial offer and report I found half a dozen more comparable vehicles listed on autotrader and sent the links to my claims advisor. After some back and forth on the other listings my insurance company offered 15% more than there initial offer.

Well clearly times have probably changed, but I was an adjuster in a former life and that is definitely how it happened. Granted that is going back a number of years, but the overall point is that the companies are trying to determine fair market value. Its not some quick internet search and then throw out a low-ball offer.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 07:46 PM   #407
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

Love this one....

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-art-collectib...ationFlag=true
OMG!WTF! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 08:24 PM   #408
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

You should reply, very interested in your picture, given the value will you hand deliver to Calgary.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 10-24-2016, 07:41 PM   #409
Kavvy
Self Imposed Exile

Exp:

Hi all

Dumb question - any reason I shouldn't let someone take my car with Keys to test drive or get an inspection without me?

If stolen - I have insurance
Traffic Tickets maybe?

Am I over simplifying?
Kavvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 07:46 PM   #410
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kavvy View Post
Hi all

Dumb question - any reason I shouldn't let someone take my car with Keys to test drive or get an inspection without me?

If stolen - I have insurance
Traffic Tickets maybe?

Am I over simplifying?
I've taken used cars for a test drive. Owner usually takes a photo of ID, I ensure they delete it when I return the car. Alternatively they take my car keys until I return. I don't know if either option is great but I've never had an issue.

I've let people take mine for a test drive (with the exception of selling a sports car, then I went with), no issues. Worst thing IMO would be tickets. You wouldn't have a recourse.

If you're worried about it you could always take it to the inspection and have them pay for it before hand/leave credit card number with mechanic.
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DownhillGoat For This Useful Post:
Old 01-03-2017, 12:48 PM   #411
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

So the other day we were cleaning up around the house and I posted some stuff on kijiji.

I receive a text from someone in Florida wanting to buy an item I have listed, and they were very keen to get my PayPal account info and they would send me a link with the instructions to get the cash - so what is the scam here? Does the link they send somehow scoop your PayPal info and then these fine folks go shopping?

I did not give them my info as I could not wrap my head around why someone from Florida would want to b my item and then worry about the shipping
Old 01-03-2017, 12:59 PM   #412
Ducay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post
So the other day we were cleaning up around the house and I posted some stuff on kijiji.

I receive a text from someone in Florida wanting to buy an item I have listed, and they were very keen to get my PayPal account info and they would send me a link with the instructions to get the cash - so what is the scam here? Does the link they send somehow scoop your PayPal info and then these fine folks go shopping?

I did not give them my info as I could not wrap my head around why someone from Florida would want to b my item and then worry about the shipping
Likely a way of phising via link that comes through. You give them your paypal address (not risky on its own), but then you'd be expecting a paypal transction to come to your email address, so when the email does come through (fake one), you're much more likely to click on the link thinking it will be to deposit the fund, which would likely then prompt you to login, at which point they've got you.
Ducay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 09:58 PM   #413
Meelapo
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I'm trying to sell my video card. In the advertisement I stated I wanted $650 firm and I get an email with the contents "550". I'm assuming the individual meant to say "Hello, I know you wanted $650 but would you consider $550". I replied with a message stating at this time I am not prepared to drop my price and the advertisement says $650 firm. I received the following reply:

"Card costs 680 and comes with wildlands eat a dick scrub"
Meelapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 08:29 AM   #414
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

Reply with "I will accept your offer of $680."
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ken0042 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-22-2017, 08:34 AM   #415
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meelapo View Post
I'm trying to sell my video card. In the advertisement I stated I wanted $650 firm and I get an email with the contents "550". I'm assuming the individual meant to say "Hello, I know you wanted $650 but would you consider $550". I replied with a message stating at this time I am not prepared to drop my price and the advertisement says $650 firm. I received the following reply:

Does it really cost $680 new?
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 08:50 AM   #416
dubc80
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
Does it really cost $680 new?
Yeah, I think $550 offer on something $680 is more than fair.
dubc80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 09:46 AM   #417
rotten42
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Years back when I moved into my last house I bought a new front load washer and dryer set. The house came with a first generation front load set but it was old and ugly so I just wanted to get rid of it.

I put an ad up that stated that it would be given to the first person that showed up with $50 and a 6-pack of decent beer.

Within 2 hours I had a young college age kid show up. He gave me the $50 and asked if I was serious about the 6-pack. Damn right I was! He produced said 6 pack and we we both parted ways happy.
rotten42 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rotten42 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-22-2017, 10:17 AM   #418
calgaryblood
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:

No offense but people who try to sell their used product for 97% of what the thing is brand new grinds my gears.

You really think someone will buy your video card for $650 when brand new it is $30 more and comes with wildlands?

$550 is more than fair and if you don't like the offer simply ignore the person. Don't see the harm in someone offering you pretty close to what you're asking especially when you're asking for too much.
calgaryblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 10:18 AM   #419
flamesrule_kipper34
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubc80 View Post
Yeah, I think $550 offer on something $680 is more than fair.
Who cares if it's fair? Did you see his post?

He states, firm. The response he received was barely a sentence. He then proceeded to politely state he wasn't prepared to lower it yet and then he got that insulting response.

Does it really matter if the offer was "more than fair"?
flamesrule_kipper34 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to flamesrule_kipper34 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-22-2017, 10:31 AM   #420
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgaryblood View Post
No offense but people who try to sell their used product for 97% of what the thing is brand new grinds my gears.
Yeah, me too. But the appropriate response is to mutter to yourself about unrealistic expectations and move on. At best, you can say "I know your ad says 650 firm, but you might not be aware that this sells for 680 from a retailer, and includes this extra thing. Given that, I'd offer you 550 for it, which seems fair".

If the person ignores your clearly reasonable offer and rationale and says they're not budging, you don't tell them to "eat a dick". You passive-aggressively respond, "Ok then... Good luck with the sale."
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote