Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-22-2016, 12:08 PM   #81
stampsx2
First Line Centre

Exp:

look how uncivilized middle easterners are, their women can't even go to school. Look how civilized we are in north america, naked orgies.... and we'll defend it.
stampsx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 12:18 PM   #82
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

wow, that really ramped up there.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 12:50 PM   #83
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stampsx2 View Post
Naked pub crawl. Can we get this moved to the losing faith in humanity thread? People are so proud of how civilized and advanced we are. Far from it.
If your position is the majority one, I would agree that civilization has a long way to go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
Please show me where anyone is making either of these arguments. Being concerned that people are practicing consent isn't the same as wanting to quash these activities. The far-left's PLUR and Sex+ stances/campaigns directly contradicts the positions you and Cliff have attributed to them, which kind of makes it look like neither of you really know or have researched what you're arguing against.
You make this too easy sometimes. Now I get to be the condescending dick: Did you even read the article before you posted? *snivel*

http://ottawa.ctvnews.ca/u-of-o-news...rawl-1.3122435

Quote:
Yasmine Mehdi didn't want to comment on these messages today, saying she didn't want it to overshadow what really matters to her, which is whether there will be an investigation into the Vet's Tour and whether there will be any sanctions.
http://ottawa.ctvnews.ca/shocking-re...tawa-1.3120796

Quote:
This story only came to light because of a student who works on the school newspaper and went undercover as the "naked pub crawl", as it's euphemistically called, made its way through the Byward Market earlier this month.

What she saw disgusted her and outraged others.
[...]

"Naked people everywhere, lots of drinking, lots of making out. One girl lying on the ground with no clothes or little clothes and people doing shots off her," she recalls, "two naked people wrapped in plastic wrap."

[...]

Yasmine Mehdi says we need to do more than that; she wants an investigation and an outcome.

"If nothing is done concretely," Mehdi says, "I don't know how such events will stop in the future."

Mehdi says that "list" by the way of those dares is very secretive. No one knows until they show up what's on it. It's then destroyed at the end of the evening.
Sure sounds like she's only interested in consent.

CHL doesn't have to specifically call out someone on the board for his point to be well taken, as the newspaper editor herself is the one seeking to have these activities quashed. Very little of the response from the association and the university have been with respect to consent, with much of it referring to the 'disgraceful' behavior.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TorqueDog For This Useful Post:
Old 10-22-2016, 07:05 PM   #84
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by corporatejay View Post
Doesn't matter. People need to be responsible for their own actions and be allowed to "make mistakes".

Being peer pressured into doing something shouldn't vitiate consent. That's asinine.

We can find something morally repugnant without it being illegal.
Which is basically what I'm saying. I can think pressuring people into these kinds of things is scummy without thinking it should be considered criminal activity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueDog View Post

CHL doesn't have to specifically call out someone on the board for his point to be well taken, as the newspaper editor herself is the one seeking to have these activities quashed. Very little of the response from the association and the university have been with respect to consent, with much of it referring to the 'disgraceful' behavior.
My bad then, I thought he was referring to posters here. I'm still not sure what it has to do with the regressive left as I didn't see anything in the article that spoke to the author's political views other than that she was investigating rape culture. She's also an Islamic woman from what other articles have reported, so this could be as much about religious conservatism as anything.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 08:21 PM   #85
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wrong thread
Finger Cookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 10:17 PM   #86
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

Quite often people intentionally use mood-altering substances and peer encouragement specifically to explore things that are outside their comfort zone. This isn't automatically a bad thing, even if what's being explored is sexual.
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 10:46 PM   #87
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SebC View Post
Quite often people intentionally use mood-altering substances and peer encouragement specifically to explore things that are outside their comfort zone. This isn't automatically a bad thing, even if what's being explored is sexual.
Yeah, but there's a difference between peer encouragement and peer pressure.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 10:55 PM   #88
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
Yeah, but there's a difference between peer encouragement and peer pressure.
Yeah, encouragement has 13 letters while pressure only has 8.

They are the same thing, with the only difference being you ascribing a positive connotation to the word "encouragement", and a negative one to "pressure". The situation is what matters and ultimately where the context comes from.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 12:14 AM   #89
squiggs96
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimbit View Post
Man, I should have went to university
You were a hockey player. I'm sure you've seen/experienced much more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Jesus this site these days
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnet Flame View Post
He just seemed like a very nice person. I loved Squiggy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
I should probably stop posting at this point
squiggs96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 11:13 AM   #90
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by squiggs96 View Post
You were a hockey player. I'm sure you've seen/experienced much more.
You're thinking of timbit.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post: