Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 07-18-2014, 02:13 PM   #1
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default The UAV/Personal Drone thread

I'm just about finished my first GPS guided quadcopter. Still need a couple more parts but what I need most is a remote control to arm it and get it off the ground.

Any chance someone here has an extra remote they could sell for a decent price? Don't need anything fancy, just a 6 channel I think it is? Got something collecting dust in a closet?

Last edited by GoinAllTheWay; 07-19-2014 at 11:27 AM.
GoinAllTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 03:22 PM   #2
Shnabdabber
Account Disabled at User's Request

Exp:

I have a 1/8 off-road collection gathering dust if you want to buy them!

Sorry no extra transmitter though.
Shnabdabber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 03:36 PM   #3
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not much interest in the land vehicles atm. Although I did see some pretty cool gas powered models on youtube. Look like fun but not quite my cup of tea.
Old 07-18-2014, 03:42 PM   #4
stazzy33
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I don't personally, but Kijiji always has a bunch. I would look for a DX6i personally. They are one of the easiest to program and seem like a solid radio for the times I have used them.

As a quick disclaimer check out the rules on flying quadcopters in the City as I believe you aren't "allowed" to. I have flown model aircraft in public parks before but I think you could have some issues if a bylaw officer was to come by.

Here's one for sale on Kijiji: http://www.kijiji.ca/v-hobbies-craft...ationFlag=true
stazzy33 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to stazzy33 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-18-2014, 03:47 PM   #5
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Kijiji, why do I never think of that. Thank you, good sir!

Ya, I was reading up on bylaws. Not too much of an issue though, I live on the edge of the city and it's pretty easy to get outside the city limits quick.

More interested in taking some aerial video of the area around my cabin. Maybe make some cool snowmobiling videos assuming I don't smash it to pieces on the first flight.

Any other tips for a noob?

Last edited by GoinAllTheWay; 07-18-2014 at 03:49 PM.
Old 07-18-2014, 05:05 PM   #6
stazzy33
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Lots of good videos on youtube about RC stuff. Probably some tutorials for quad copters and such. If you need any help shoot me a PM. Also there are tons of forums out there as well for this kind of stuff. http://www.rccanada.ca/ and http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/index.php are two great resources.
stazzy33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 05:12 PM   #7
combustiblefuel
Franchise Player

Exp:

www.ultimaterc.com is a great place. His you tube channel is awesome.
combustiblefuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 05:35 PM   #8
Shnabdabber
Account Disabled at User's Request

Exp:
lanny

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoinAllTheWay View Post
Not much interest in the land vehicles atm. Although I did see some pretty cool gas powered models on youtube. Look like fun but not quite my cup of tea.
I was just kidding anyways.

Sort of.

Rctech.net is a great resource. I wish I could help more but I have 0 experience with air RCs, been all about off-road although the last two years I havnt had as much time as I would like to run them. Built a 1/10th scale track in the backyard, thought the neighbours would hate it until they came out to try them. lol

Got out of intros though, lots of fun but every hour of fun was two hours of pissing around with jetting or cleaning. Plus electrics have caught up to the point where they stomp the guts out of nitros anyways.
Shnabdabber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 09:33 PM   #9
Flames_Gimp
Franchise Player

Exp:

dx6i is what I use for my hexacopter, can get them fairly cheap. You building a fw450? man these are so fun, you will love it!
Old 07-18-2014, 10:02 PM   #10
pylon
NOT Chris Butler

Exp:

Not much to add besides I own a DJI phantom Vision +. I went from the regular Vision, but you definitely want a 3 axis brushless gimbal. The difference in the quality of the end product is amazing. You go from wobbly home video, to cinema quality for a reasonably small investment.
pylon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to pylon For This Useful Post:
Old 07-18-2014, 10:13 PM   #11
combustiblefuel
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've got a E-maxx, a Losi 22 Buggy,early 80s Marui Hunter buggy a 1/32 losi highroller. I checked out my controllers i got kicking around I've only got 4 channel ones sorry..
combustiblefuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 11:07 PM   #12
psicodude
First Line Centre

Exp:

I have been a RC heli guy for a while now and have been thinking of getting into quad's lately. Would you recommend getting a Phantom (thinking the Phantom 2 + gimbel because I already own a Go Pro) or build my own 450/550? I already own a DX7s as well.
psicodude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 11:36 PM   #13
pylon
NOT Chris Butler

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by psicodude View Post
I have been a RC heli guy for a while now and have been thinking of getting into quad's lately. Would you recommend getting a Phantom (thinking the Phantom 2 + gimbel because I already own a Go Pro) or build my own 450/550? I already own a DX7s as well.
I was humming and hawing about the right balance for a while. I was between a P2 Vision+ or a P2 + Zenmuse + Gopro + all the other crap you have to buy. P2V+ is $1499 ready to fly with 2 batteries. To get the same out of a P2, then building it up, you will hit about $2200, but you will not have the incredibly slick iOS/android interface. You end up with a very industrial/DOS style interface. And you lose the ability to start and stop recording in the air. And also switch between camera modes. You have to start your go pro on the ground, and stop it when you land. They advise against using the GoPro remote, as they are on the same channel as the transmitter, and can cause flyways. You will get better range, but, there are antenna mods you can do to a P2V+ that will give you 3+ km range as well. P2V+ is also optimally weighted and balanced, and I have had mine in the air on a single charge for 26 minutes, with 10% left.

I am so glad I bought the P2V+. The thing is turn key right out of the box. You can literally have the thing setup, paired to your phone/ipad, and in the air within 10 minutes out of the box from the factory. I do however, recommend spending a good couple days reading the manuals, as you don't wan't $1500 flying off on the horizon.

The only drawback to the whole P2V+ package IMHO, is 1080p is only 30fps, where with a Gopro H3+, I believe you can go up to 120fps. You can do 60 fps with the P2V+ but only 720p. For youtube stuff, it works just fine, and nobody will know. But If you plan to put it on your 70" TV, it will be a little sucky.

The biggest benefit to the P2V+ though, is as long as your batteries are charged, and you compass has been properly calibrated for where you flying (you only have to recalibrate if you leave the general area and but that I mean I will fly it in Banff or Calgary on the same calibration with no issues), you can have it in the air in 2 minutes. Any other system you usually have 15 minutes of pre-flight BS to go through.

Last edited by pylon; 07-18-2014 at 11:41 PM.
Old 07-18-2014, 11:54 PM   #14
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wow...few more of you at this then I figured, that's good news.

Ya, I'm putting together a DJI FW 450. Or at least it will be. Bought the frame on a whim and have kinda gone from there. Last month I bought 4 motors and the other day I bought the Autopilot, GPS and speed controllers. Still need a battery and the controller I think, still looking into all the parts. I just want to get it flying first before spending money on a camera.

BTW-The frame I bought didn't come with any kind of struts to keep it higher off the ground when landed. I've bought most of the stuff so far from 3dRobotics but can't seem to find those struts on their site. Where do you buy them from?

Pretty cool project so far. Lot's to read up on.
Old 07-19-2014, 12:25 AM   #15
psicodude
First Line Centre

Exp:

Pylon - Thanks for the detailed response. Very helpful.

I was getting concerned about the FPV solutions for the P2 as they seem fairly complicated and cumbersome. The whole 7" screen strapped to the controller plus the video transmitter/receiver feels like a lot more things that can go wrong. I also can't think of a practical reason why I would need 60 fps. I know doing some slo-mo effects could be cool, but like you said, 720p is probably good enough for an amateur.

Is the controller that comes with the DJI's good enough, or should I consider getting a Spektrum receiver for my DX7?
psicodude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 12:38 AM   #16
pylon
NOT Chris Butler

Exp:

The controller that comes with it is awesome. It is purpose built for the Phantom series. It is very '1 to 1'. Control is super predictable, and I love the centring feature on the sticks. If you end up in a panic mode or lose orientation, just release the sticks and it hovers in place (as long as you are in GPS mode). You do not need the displays that some high end controllers have, as all your telemetry is on the iPhone screen. I also forgot to mention the Vision series, has a find my Phantom feature built in if you crash. Personally though, when I go beyond sight, a zip tie a cellular based GPS locator to one of the skids.... just in case, because if the Phantom battery dies, you can't locate it. You just need a pay as you go sim card. I bought this one, tested it, and it works well and only weighs about 30 grams:

http://www.amazon.ca/Elecs-Real-Time...ds=gps+locator

I have flown with both my iPad Air, and iPhone 5s, so you have the option for a larger screen format if required.

It was really cool the first time I was flying it at my folks place. My dad was watching me fly it, and was absolutely amazed. He is 73, so you can imagine someone who saw 50's tech, reaction to a device like this. I flew it way down a ravine behind his house and he goes "Oh crap you lost it!" I show him the picture on my iPhone, and explained to him it was flying it FPV. Then he goes "Imagine if you could record it, that would be cool!" I said "Dad, I am recording it, in HD. And it is perfectly stabilized with gyros/dc motors." He is a retired electrical engineer, and said "Not even 10 years ago, you could sell that thing to the military for half a million bucks a copy. Absolutely amazing."

Last edited by pylon; 07-19-2014 at 12:46 AM.
Old 07-19-2014, 12:52 AM   #17
pylon
NOT Chris Butler

Exp:

Goingalltheway, can you rename this thread the "Personal Drone Thread" or something along those lines. I was going to start one a while back, and never thought there would be any interest. This seems like a good start.
Old 07-19-2014, 04:47 PM   #18
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

I'll just leave this here.

SebC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 10:13 PM   #19
Flames_Gimp
Franchise Player

Exp:

the flamewheels are good kits if you don't mind doing a bit of soldering.

goinalltheway: pmhobby carries a few different landing struts, low profile and tall if you want a gopro and/or gimble.

Did you get the naza m v2 controller?
Old 07-20-2014, 07:23 PM   #20
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames_Gimp View Post
goinalltheway: pmhobby carries a few different landing struts, low profile and tall if you want a gopro and/or gimble.
Excellent, thanks

So far, this what I have for parts. Maybe someone could tell me what I'm missing if anything?

Frame
Upper and Lower Boards (lower one appears to act as a power distribution board?)
4 Motors
4 Props
Speed Controllers
Pixhawk Autopilot with GPS and Compass

Still need the controller as well as battery but I think that's pretty much all I need to get it airborne?

Tags
don't drone me bro! , nerdgasm , remote control