Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-21-2022, 12:17 AM   #201
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
Pretty happy with the start for Spurs this season. We looked alright against Wolves today and the second half was better than the first. Seven points from a possible nine is pretty good, given that Chelsea away was one of those three games. It’s even better considering those were all losses last year and we’re +7 in comparison to last year.

I think we’re coming along and hopefully keep things rolling against Forest next weekend.
You guys look decent; not Arsenal good, but good.
North London derbies should be fun this season.
Winsor_Pilates is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2022, 07:39 AM   #202
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winsor_Pilates View Post
You guys look decent; not Arsenal good, but good.
North London derbies should be fun this season.
Lol, well Arsenal has the easiest start in the PL. Are we seeing Arsenal look good or teams like Bournemouth look bad? I think it’s pretty early to make a judgment on that kind of thing.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2022, 08:32 AM   #203
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

On the one hand, they have had a pretty easy start. On the other hand, years past this start would have yielded anywhere from 1 to 5 points and we'd all be mocking them endlessly for it. I don't know how you could have watch them so far this year and not conclude they are a better team. Challenging for the title better? Probably not, but as the great 90's prophets NKOTB said "Step by Step". They are a fairly young team overall which is what should be most exciting for the fans, to finally have a team that is showing potential, and has years ahead of them.
Old 08-21-2022, 09:02 AM   #204
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Lots of teams look decent in August and September and have nothing to show for it at the end of the year. Just like United isn’t actually going to be relegated, Arsenal isn’t winning the league. They probably do look drastically improved playing against relegation fodder like Bournemouth. Leicester has been brutal this year, and they’re in disarray. Eventually, Arsenal will face some adversity and then we actually see what the prospects are. I think if they get top four it’s more likely Chelsea coming down than it is Arsenal improving.
Old 08-21-2022, 09:24 AM   #205
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yes I'm sure you'd be cautioning "It's only August" if they were sitting on 2 points right now and not saying "relegation fight is on!". They aren't gonna win the league, but we all know City are walking to it anyway so it's not a good barometer for anyone as a judgement tool. Even just being more consistent in controlling more games, and beating the teams they should, would be a big improvement for Arsenal, which they have so far. Will it keep up? Who knows, but even if it does you'll find some other qualifier as to why it means nothing. Life of a rival fan and all that.

Last edited by Senator Clay Davis; 08-21-2022 at 09:28 AM.
Senator Clay Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Senator Clay Davis For This Useful Post:
Old 08-21-2022, 09:36 AM   #206
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
Yes I'm sure you'd be cautioning "It's only August" if they were sitting on 2 points right now and not saying "relegation fight is on!". They aren't gonna win the league, but we all know City are walking to it anyway so it's not a good barometer for anyone as a judgement tool. Even just being more consistent in controlling more games, and beating the teams to should, would be a big improvement for Arsenal, which they have so far. Will it keep up? Who knows, but even if it does you'll find some other qualifier as to why it means nothing. Life of a rival fan and all that.
You have to be a rival fan to realize that they haven’t played anyone yet, have faced no adversity and there are still 35 league games to go? I mean sure, maybe they’re the invicibles and their supporters should plan the parade. Spurs were 3-0 last year, Palace was top of the league (or close?) a couple years ago and they both came back to earth but I’m sure this time is different and my skepticism is purely because I don’t support them.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1560192792982216705
Old 08-21-2022, 09:38 AM   #207
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
Yes I'm sure you'd be cautioning "It's only August" if they were sitting on 2 points right now and not saying "relegation fight is on!". They aren't gonna win the league, but we all know City are walking to it anyway so it's not a good barometer for anyone as a judgement tool. Even just being more consistent in controlling more games, and beating the teams they should, would be a big improvement for Arsenal, which they have so far. Will it keep up? Who knows, but even if it does you'll find some other qualifier as to why it means nothing. Life of a rival fan and all that.
The hilarious part about Slava is he comes in saying Spurs look good with 7 points out of 9.
Then say something about another team and "it's only 3 matches"
I wonder if he's even aware how bad of a homer he reads.

Apparently winning away at Crystal Palace is an easy fixture, yet Spurs got beat 3-0 in that tie last season

And does a draw against Chelsea where you were completely outplayed except for the ref count as a good result?
This is the same Chelsea that just lost 3-0 to Leeds, right?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Winsor_Pilates For This Useful Post:
Old 08-21-2022, 10:01 AM   #208
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The hilarious part about Slava is he comes in saying Spurs look good with 7 points out of 9.
Then say something about another team and "it's only 3 matches"
I wonder if he's even aware how bad of a homer he reads.

Apparently winning away at Crystal Palace is an easy fixture, yet Spurs got beat 3-0 in that tie last season

And does a draw against Chelsea where you were completely outplayed except for the ref count as a good result?
This is the same Chelsea that just lost 3-0 to Leeds, right?
You’re totally right. Plan the parade because I’m sure they’ll never lose again. You don’t need to drag Spurs into this, because it’s entirely irrelevant aside from the fact we haven’t played you yet.
Old 08-21-2022, 10:01 AM   #209
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

You don't say this very often, but Man City are getting cooked right now, lucky to be level.
Old 08-21-2022, 10:30 AM   #210
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
You’re totally right. Plan the parade because I’m sure they’ll never lose again. You don’t need to drag Spurs into this, because it’s entirely irrelevant aside from the fact we haven’t played you yet.
What are you even talking about?
This all started by me saying you guys look decent and derbies should be be fun?

No one has said anything about winning the league, never losing a game or anything of the sort. You sound like an Oilers fan.
Old 08-21-2022, 10:41 AM   #211
MegaErtz
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Newcastle just press, press, press. Great to watch. It really makes you realize how hard it is to win if you have a passenger that can't press up top.
MegaErtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2022, 10:56 AM   #212
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

This Oily Derby has been spectacular!
Old 08-21-2022, 12:53 PM   #213
Redliner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
What are you even talking about?
This all started by me saying you guys look decent and derbies should be be fun?

No one has said anything about winning the league, never losing a game or anything of the sort. You sound like an Oilers fan.
Nope. I am getting out the “we may never lose again” sign and planning the parade because Slava said to.

Arsenal are winning the league - book it.
"There will be a short outage tonight sometime between 11:00PM and 1:00AM as network upgrades are performed. Please do not panic and overthrow society. Thank you."
Redliner is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Redliner For This Useful Post:
Old 08-21-2022, 01:48 PM   #214
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redliner View Post
Nope. I am getting out the “we may never lose again” sign and planning the parade because Slava said to.

Arsenal are winning the league - book it.
And why wouldn’t you? You control your own destiny now! Just rattle off 35 in a row and no one can catch you. It’s just math!
Old 08-21-2022, 01:59 PM   #215
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

d_phaneuf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to d_phaneuf For This Useful Post:
Old 08-21-2022, 02:20 PM   #216
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

That City vs Newcastle match was fantastic viewing
Old 08-21-2022, 02:46 PM   #217
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
That City vs Newcastle match was fantastic viewing
Could have really used a Newcastle win though.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 08-21-2022, 03:04 PM   #218
Barnet Flame
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Lots of teams look decent in August and September and have nothing to show for it at the end of the year. Just like United isn’t actually going to be relegated, Arsenal isn’t winning the league. They probably do look drastically improved playing against relegation fodder like Bournemouth. Leicester has been brutal this year, and they’re in disarray. Eventually, Arsenal will face some adversity and then we actually see what the prospects are. I think if they get top four it’s more likely Chelsea coming down than it is Arsenal improving.
You’re putting out a bit of a straw man argument here. No one I know within our fan base (sure some nuts within it may) are saying Arsenal are winning the league. In my wildest optimistic moments, I have us 50/50 to finish in the top 4.

But I am pleased with the trajectory - sure I want us to win everything, but my first and most realistic hope - as it is with the Flames (whom I’m exponentially more invested in) is for the team to make the most of what it has at its disposal. People playing for their shirt, Jersey, sado masochistic outfit (think Dodgeball) is what gives me the most sustainable joy.

In this respect, Arsenal are moving in the right direction - there will be hiccoughs but that is to be expected following the magnitude of change and the relative youthfulness of the team. I can live with that.
Barnet Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Barnet Flame For This Useful Post:
Old 08-21-2022, 03:26 PM   #219
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnet Flame View Post
You’re putting out a bit of a straw man argument here. No one I know within our fan base (sure some nuts within it may) are saying Arsenal are winning the league. In my wildest optimistic moments, I have us 50/50 to finish in the top 4.

But I am pleased with the trajectory - sure I want us to win everything, but my first and most realistic hope - as it is with the Flames (whom I’m exponentially more invested in) is for the team to make the most of what it has at its disposal. People playing for their shirt, Jersey, sado masochistic outfit (think Dodgeball) is what gives me the most sustainable joy.

In this respect, Arsenal are moving in the right direction - there will be hiccoughs but that is to be expected following the magnitude of change and the relative youthfulness of the team. I can live with that.
Lol, all I'm saying is that it's been three games and we'll see what happens when they play someone decent. I have no idea how that's a conclusion you could only come to if you're a rival fan. It seems pretty rational.
Old 08-21-2022, 04:18 PM   #220
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Lol, all I'm saying is that it's been three games and we'll see what happens when they play someone decent. I have no idea how that's a conclusion you could only come to if you're a rival fan. It seems pretty rational.
This is the same conclusion everyone is at.
The only irrational part is where you don't apply the same conclusion to your team.

Apparently your wins at home to bottom half clubs count as "someone decent" but Arsenal's away win at Palace + home win over Leicester don't.
That's where you show your homerism.

Arsenal have already won 2 fixtures that are objectively more difficult than your 2 victories.
If you want to dismiss them, you have to dismiss your easier wins too.
The Following User Says Thank You to Winsor_Pilates For This Useful Post: