Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-07-2024, 09:41 AM   #841
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahammer View Post
at this point if Holtz was even offered in any way it should have been taken and we should be done with this!

Holtz alone is worth more than markstrom, probably. So perhaps the dispute over retention was how much more valuable Holtz alone is? Is it enough to cover 50% retention on markstrom? Probably not. But maybe in this market.
Why do you think Holtz is worth so much. His own GM just publicly outlined the issues with him.
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2024, 09:42 AM   #842
Icon
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm guessing at this point Markstrom isn't moved... unless NJ still thinks they have a playoffs shot but I doubt it.

I'm guessing we see Vladar traded instead, maybe to the Avs?
Icon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2024, 09:50 AM   #843
Macho0978
First Line Centre

Exp:

It's pretty clear that after last night the returns some are suggesting are way off. Teams (other than the Oilers) are trading late firsts, mid picks or B prospects for high end rentals or older player with term.

When we look back, now that most of the players have moved that needed to move, was it better to wait and get this so-called better return later or would it have been better to get these deals done sooner? We now have a rebuilding, non-playoff caliber roster and we pick outside the top 10 again this year. We could slide to maybe top 8 at best.

Trade Markstrom for Vanecek and a 1st and flip Vanecek 50% retained (hopefully double retained) for another pick. We are not getting Mercer, 0% chance unless we trade Markstrom and a pick.

I like all the deals Conroy made, but he should have made some bigger moves a few months ago or in the off season. This roster isn't great, we have not added any top prospects or high-end picks and we don't have a high-end pick or high end prospects. Feels like a wasted year now. We really need to tank next year and probably the year after, unless we win the lottery.
Macho0978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2024, 09:56 AM   #844
Solstice
Draft Pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamesfan05 View Post
If the offer is Holtz, Conroy should take it. He could pop like Owen Tippett
Not a star but still quality player

Markstrom is a risk moving forward

Nobody is going to trade bluechip , not for a 34 yrs old goalie
After the trade last night I would be happy with Holtz and a 1st. We ain’t getting Mercer unless we add…
Solstice is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2024, 09:58 AM   #845
Paulie Walnuts
Franchise Player

Exp:

Pretty sure this deal is dead. Resigned to the fact that Markstrom will be here for the rest of the season.
Paulie Walnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2024, 09:59 AM   #846
Tiger
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macho0978 View Post
It's pretty clear that after last night the returns some are suggesting are way off. Teams (other than the Oilers) are trading late firsts, mid picks or B prospects for high end rentals or older player with term.

When we look back, now that most of the players have moved that needed to move, was it better to wait and get this so-called better return later or would it have been better to get these deals done sooner? We now have a rebuilding, non-playoff caliber roster and we pick outside the top 10 again this year. We could slide to maybe top 8 at best.

Trade Markstrom for Vanecek and a 1st and flip Vanecek 50% retained (hopefully double retained) for another pick. We are not getting Mercer, 0% chance unless we trade Markstrom and a pick.

I like all the deals Conroy made, but he should have made some bigger moves a few months ago or in the off season. This roster isn't great, we have not added any top prospects or high-end picks and we don't have a high-end pick or high end prospects. Feels like a wasted year now. We really need to tank next year and probably the year after, unless we win the lottery.
We would probably be retaining on markstrom and therefore couldn't retain on Vanecek if he was flip
Old 03-07-2024, 10:03 AM   #847
Fighting Banana Slug
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I still feel like Colorado should make a play for Markstrom. I wouldn't trust Georgiev.
O.K. there has been a lot of talk on whether or not MacTavish has actually done a good job for us, most fans on this board are very basic in their analysis and I feel would change their opinion entirely if the team was successful.
Fighting Banana Slug is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2024, 10:03 AM   #848
Parallex
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icon View Post
I'm guessing at this point Markstrom isn't moved... unless NJ still thinks they have a playoffs shot but I doubt it.
I think there is still an outside chance of it since Markstrom would have term/value beyond this year. Any pick involved would be at the very least T10 protected for this year thou. But you're probably correct at this point I think it's doubtful that Markstrom moves.

He should be moved... but he likely won't, everyone on both sides will just convince themselves that that the grass is greener on the otherside and they'll both be wrong. It's beyond silly that he hasn't moved already since Calgary and NJ are clearly ideal trading partners here. They have picks and young players (which we clearly need) and we have a dramatic improvement in net (which they clearly need).
Parallex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2024, 10:05 AM   #849
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
Why do you think Holtz is worth so much. His own GM just publicly outlined the issues with him.
We've seen the value that former high pick prospects have right now in the league, you can't trade for them essentially.

We've also seen much less than speculated return for every asset we've sold so far.

I do believe that Holtz' value is higher than what people around here think, but I feel even more strongly that Markstrom has much less value than we think even with his much stronger season. Retention on his contract potentially carries the most value.
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2024, 10:07 AM   #850
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahammer View Post
We've seen the value that former high pick prospects have right now in the league, you can't trade for them essentially.

We've also seen much less than speculated return for every asset we've sold so far.

I do believe that Holtz' value is higher than what people around here think, but I feel even more strongly that Markstrom has much less value than we think even with his much stronger season. Retention on his contract potentially carries the most value.
Which means the speculation was incorrect, not the return.
Old 03-07-2024, 10:08 AM   #851
Bonded
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger View Post
We would probably be retaining on markstrom and therefore couldn't retain on Vanecek if he was flip
They could after July 1st
Bonded is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bonded For This Useful Post:
Old 03-07-2024, 11:10 AM   #852
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
Which means the speculation was incorrect, not the return.
Agreed, which is why i doubt very much that we can acquire a top prospect (even one on the outs with management) and a 1st for Markstrom.
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote