Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Back Burner: The Calgary Wranglers and Flames Prospects Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-16-2016, 07:57 PM   #61
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockey.modern View Post
If I recall, Andersson leads all defenceman in points in the CHL.
He leads the OHL.

Nielson has 49 pts to lead the W
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 01-16-2016, 07:58 PM   #62
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

and there are 4 guys in the W with more points
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 01-24-2016, 01:22 PM   #63
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Barrie is playing Mississauga this afternoon.

The game is airing on Sportsnet 360 right now for anyone interested in seeing Mangiapane and Andersson.
Old 01-24-2016, 01:30 PM   #64
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Mangiapane has 57 points in 36 games this season, and Andersson has 41 in 42.

Mangiapane has 21 points in 10 games in 2016 and is currently on an 11 game point streak. Andersson has 13 points in 10 games in 2016.

Andersson is #19 in white, and Mangiapane is #26.
Old 01-24-2016, 03:22 PM   #65
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Andersson gets an assist as his shot is pretty nicely tipped.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 01-24-2016, 03:44 PM   #66
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Mangiapane with a great effort to get the empty net goal.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 03:50 PM   #67
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Barely keeps the streak alive, scoring with just over 30 seconds left.

Both Flames picks looked good today.
Old 01-24-2016, 11:44 PM   #68
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

After a pretty slow start for Andersson, it's pretty impressive that he's now up to a point per game.
Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 12:08 AM   #69
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Mangiapane is now 9th overall in the OHL for goals and 10th overall for points.

Andersson is 9th overall for assists, and 1st among defencemen in both points and assists. After two assists today, he's also the only point a game defenceman in the OHL.
Old 01-25-2016, 01:24 AM   #70
jg13
Franchise Player

Exp:

I still can't believe we got Mangiapane in the 6th round..
jg13 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 07:13 AM   #71
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jg13 View Post
I still can't believe we got Mangiapane in the 6th round..
can anyone actually answer this one? Is it is size that had him pegged as a late rounder, or is it the hypothesis that his style of play not going to translate well?
bubbsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 07:24 AM   #72
Da_Chief
Franchise Player

Exp:

It was 2nd go around in the draft I believe.
Da_Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 08:27 AM   #73
Caged Great
Franchise Player

Exp:

He had a great year in his draft year the first time that was entirely out of the blue. Then he repeated it last year. His size was still a concern though as he's a similar build as Gaudreau (skinny and small).

It is still a long shot that he makes the NHL at any point. What he should become at a minimum is a solid offensive player for Stockton. Whether he proceeds beyond that is entirely up to him and his development moving forward.
Fireside Chat - The #1 Flames Fan Podcast - FiresideChat.ca
Caged Great is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Caged Great For This Useful Post:
Old 01-25-2016, 11:29 AM   #74
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbsy View Post
can anyone actually answer this one? Is it is size that had him pegged as a late rounder, or is it the hypothesis that his style of play not going to translate well?
His style to my eyes the few times I've watched resembles Paul Byron, just with a slap shot+ that's NHL calibre.
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GranteedEV For This Useful Post:
Old 01-25-2016, 11:44 AM   #75
PeteMoss
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbsy View Post
He was a completely out of nowhere player. Wasn't drafted in the OHL.

San Jose picked the guy from that team who leads the OHL in scoring in the 6th round as well (although a year earlier in the draft). Leblanc has more points than Marner, Strome, etc (played a few more games but he's way ahead of most of them except Dvorak - Coyotes pick)
PeteMoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 03:29 PM   #76
Alberta_Beef
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caged Great View Post
He had a great year in his draft year the first time that was entirely out of the blue. Then he repeated it last year. His size was still a concern though as he's a similar build as Gaudreau (skinny and small).

It is still a long shot that he makes the NHL at any point. What he should become at a minimum is a solid offensive player for Stockton. Whether he proceeds beyond that is entirely up to him and his development moving forward.
Is 51 points really a "great year"? He also more than doubled that the following year, so it wasn't really a repeat.

NHL teams see a guy that is tiny with pretty mediocre numbers and pass on him. Then he re-enters the draft after doubling his output and many are going to think it is a blip on the radar. He seems to be repeating it this year but is not showing further growth in his output and it is far from unusual for a 19 year old to pile up the points in the CHL.

He is definitely an NHL longshot, I agree there, but I think you are overstating his potential to be a solid offensive player in the AHL as you make it sound like that is his floor.
Alberta_Beef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 03:52 PM   #77
Caged Great
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta_Beef View Post
Is 51 points really a "great year"? He also more than doubled that the following year, so it wasn't really a repeat.

NHL teams see a guy that is tiny with pretty mediocre numbers and pass on him. Then he re-enters the draft after doubling his output and many are going to think it is a blip on the radar. He seems to be repeating it this year but is not showing further growth in his output and it is far from unusual for a 19 year old to pile up the points in the CHL.

He is definitely an NHL longshot, I agree there, but I think you are overstating his potential to be a solid offensive player in the AHL as you make it sound like that is his floor.
Considering how low scoring most of the draft picks from 2014 were, 51 was actually a great year. Look at most of the stats for picks from that year. Most of the 4th-7th rounders had 20-30 points from that year. It was kind of an odd year.

I think at worst he's Bryan Cameron 2.0, a junior scorer that couldn't even translate that to the AHL level. I think his upside is more at a level similar to Kenny Agostino with a small sliver of a chance that he could be even better than that.
Fireside Chat - The #1 Flames Fan Podcast - FiresideChat.ca
Caged Great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 04:15 PM   #78
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta_Beef View Post
Is 51 points really a "great year"?
He was used in a 3rd line / PK role that year, kind of like Senyshyn last year, so it was a good year given the deployment. He did not get powerplay icetime and was one of the top 5 on 5 scorers in the OHL that year. His play was good enough to get him some press before he went undrafted. Some quotes from before 2014 draft:

Quote:
Mangiapane is small in stature, but he plays much bigger than his size. He’s not at all intimidated by bigger players and is more than willing to throw his weight around. He’s very feisty, and actually regularly knocks opposing players off the puck. He has excellent hands, and is able to stick handle around defenders with ease at times. He’s a good skater who’s very shifty. Mangiapane sees the ice well and is a good passer. He’s defensively responsible, almost always in position and back checks regularly. He can play in all situations of the game.
Quote:
T: Andrew Mangiapane is a name most haven't heard of, but to me he was a big surprise this season. He wasn't drafted into the OHL, before Barrie picked him up. He had a really nice season there, and was a consistent offensive threat. Mangiapane is a guy who's not on a lot of people's radar because of his size, but he doesn't back down from bigger players and will battle in the dirty areas of the ice. He sees the ice well, is a good skater, and is real smart with the puck. Mangiapane scored 24 goals and recorded 51 points in 68 regular season games, and posted seven points in 11 playoff games.
And he finished 3rd in OHL Rookie of the year vote that year behind two future first rounders:

Quote:
Konecny finished first in voting with 91 points out of a maximum 95. Runner-up for the award was Mitchell Marner of the London Knights with 37 voting points, followed by Andrew Mangiapane of the Barrie Colts who received 21 points in the voting process.
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GranteedEV For This Useful Post:
Old 01-26-2016, 05:57 PM   #79
Alberta_Beef
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caged Great View Post
Considering how low scoring most of the draft picks from 2014 were, 51 was actually a great year. Look at most of the stats for picks from that year. Most of the 4th-7th rounders had 20-30 points from that year. It was kind of an odd year.

I think at worst he's Bryan Cameron 2.0, a junior scorer that couldn't even translate that to the AHL level. I think his upside is more at a level similar to Kenny Agostino with a small sliver of a chance that he could be even better than that.
fair enough, I think his high end is lower than Agostino personally since I think Agostino still has NHL potential and I do not believe Mangiapane does
Old 01-26-2016, 05:59 PM   #80
Alberta_Beef
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranteedEV View Post
He was used in a 3rd line / PK role that year, kind of like Senyshyn last year, so it was a good year given the deployment. He did not get powerplay icetime and was one of the top 5 on 5 scorers in the OHL that year. His play was good enough to get him some press before he went undrafted. Some quotes from before 2014 draft:

And he finished 3rd in OHL Rookie of the year vote that year behind two future first rounders:
but he still went undrafted, so the year could not have been that great in the eyes of the scouts.

and being an 18 year old rookie in the OHL, I would not look too hard at him being 3rd place in rookie of the year voting