Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 02-19-2013, 11:51 AM   #1
puckluck2
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:
Default Only Florida has allowed more goals per game than the Flames

Worst defensive team in the west, and almost on par with the Panthers at 3.64 goals allowed a game.

Should Feaster be looking at trades for some defensive forwards? I don't think we can succeed without a Stephen Yelle type player or another defensive minded center.

I don't blame the stat on the goalie. Flames forwards don't backcheck like they skate for offensive chances. Something has to be done via trade IMO.
puckluck2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 11:53 AM   #2
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Three AHL goaltenders, a starter who was playing average at best, forwards who don't have a two-way game.

yup.
MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MrMastodonFarm For This Useful Post:
Old 02-19-2013, 11:53 AM   #3
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Could use more grit, especially up front but goaltending has been a pretty big issue this year.

Looking at least one weak goal per game by our goalies, and that includes Kipper when he was starting.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 12:04 PM   #4
Stay Golden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Kipper wasn't having his best start but with him being on IR it is not shocking at all to see the Flames allowing the 2nd most goals against.
They are not a physical team in their own end. They allow pretty much any player to screen/ interfere with their goalie(s) without any response.
They D does not crunch wingers into the side boards they just skate and poke check.
Not to mention our forwards have great knack for turning over the puck at the worst possible place the opposing teams blue line on cross ice passes.
There is nothing wrong with cross ice passes but when they don't make it your instantly in trouble.
Also the Flames have the 4th worst PK in the league you can't keep goals against with that stat.

It is no surprise at all that the goals against are way up.
Old 02-19-2013, 12:06 PM   #5
Wronskian
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I know our goaltending hasn't been great, but at what point to do begin to place blame in the team itself?
Wronskian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 12:06 PM   #6
puckluck2
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
Could use more grit, especially up front but goaltending has been a pretty big issue this year.

Looking at least one weak goal per game by our goalies, and that includes Kipper when he was starting.
Goaltending will always seem to be a problem when you don't have two-way players and especially when you're playing an offensive minded system.

Kipper struggled under Keenan as well and we are pretty much playing Keenan hockey.

I don't think the players are helping out the goalie at all.
puckluck2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 12:07 PM   #7
jg13
Franchise Player

Exp:

Team is soft, not making the other teams offensive players pay in the defensive zone.

I would put most of the reasoning on our forwards being awful defensively and our goaltending being way below average than blaming our actually dmen.
jg13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 12:09 PM   #8
HPLovecraft
Took an arrow to the knee

Exp:

Up-tempo hockey!
Old 02-19-2013, 12:11 PM   #9
EddyBeers
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

So is Florida the only team that is more entertaining than the Flames then?
EddyBeers is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to EddyBeers For This Useful Post:
Old 02-19-2013, 12:17 PM   #10
kyuss275
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by puckluck2 View Post
Worst defensive team in the west, and almost on par with the Panthers at 3.64 goals allowed a game.

Should Feaster be looking at trades for some defensive forwards?
I don't think we can succeed without a Stephen Yelle type player or another defensive minded center.

I don't blame the stat on the goalie. Flames forwards don't backcheck like they skate for offensive chances. Something has to be done via trade IMO.

Feaster is probably working the phone lines hard to find defensive forwards, but is not willing to give up stuff to get them. Butler, Smith, Anton, Sarich, and the 4th line players are not going to get it done. It seems that half of the forwards seem to be untouchable, not sure why? Our prospect pool is also shallow.
kyuss275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 12:18 PM   #11
SeeGeeWhy
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Where does our team defence stand in terms of offensive production?
SeeGeeWhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 12:19 PM   #12
Stay Golden
Franchise Player

Exp:

4 AHL level goalies, this is the same intellect as questioning why a Football teams INT's have suddenly gone up since they have had to go to their little used backup because the starting QB got injured.
Some can pick up the slack and not miss a beat or like in Brady's case make the team even better in 2002.
Truth is to no surprise back ups are back ups for good reason. They are not your #1 choice on 99% of most teams.

Mix in soft D and horrible a PK and you have a recipe for more goals against and more losses than wins.
Old 02-19-2013, 12:21 PM   #13
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by puckluck2 View Post
Goaltending will always seem to be a problem when you don't have two-way players and especially when you're playing an offensive minded system.

Kipper struggled under Keenan as well and we are pretty much playing Keenan hockey.

I don't think the players are helping out the goalie at all.
Don't disagree that this team needs to pay more attention to all three zones but that has been an ongoing issue with our forward group for a couple seasons now.

The counter to that is the goalies haven't really helped the players at all this season either. Lots of weak goals (including at least two last night) really impacts the GAA.

I think they are likely bottom half in the league defensively, but bad goaltending has led to us being bottom 5.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 12:25 PM   #14
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPLovecraft View Post
Up-tempo hockey!
You need top goaltending, one good skating responsible defenseman per pairing, and two decent two way centers. No shock the Flames roster isn't presently very good at up-tempo hockey.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 12:29 PM   #15
Komskies
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sadly the only thing I thought of when reading the thread title was "Wow, Florida must be really freaking horrible to be worse than us!"
Komskies is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Komskies For This Useful Post:
Old 02-19-2013, 12:37 PM   #16
Vedder
First Line Centre

Exp:

Having 1 NHL quality center isn't helping. Pretty crucial position when it comes to defense. I actually like the top 4 D and how they are playing for the most part. If they had more support from the forward group and better goaltending, I think they'd be very solid.
Vedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 12:44 PM   #17
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stay Golden View Post
4 AHL level goalies, this is the same intellect as questioning why a Football teams INT's have suddenly gone up since they have had to go to their little used backup because the starting QB got injured.
Some can pick up the slack and not miss a beat or like in Brady's case make the team even better in 2002.
Truth is to no surprise back ups are back ups for good reason. They are not your #1 choice on 99% of most teams.

Mix in soft D and horrible a PK and you have a recipe for more goals against and more losses than wins.
The difference is, when a football team loses their league-leading passing quarterback, they don't keep the same gameplan with the second or third string who can't throw the ball downfield to save his life.

They change the scheme, run the ball, shorten the passes and try to lock the potential for turnovers down.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Flash Walken For This Useful Post:
Old 02-19-2013, 12:51 PM   #18
gargamel
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post
The difference is, when a football team loses their league-leading passing quarterback, they don't keep the same gameplan with the second or third string who can't throw the ball downfield to save his life.

They change the scheme, run the ball, shorten the passes and try to lock the potential for turnovers down.
It sounds like someone has never had the joy of rooting for a team coached by Andy Reid.
gargamel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 12:58 PM   #19
Weiser Wonder
Franchise Player

Exp:

You could look at trading for defensive centers. But it's probably best to bomb the season, trade away Iginla, Cammalleri, and a few other assets at the deadline for young players/picks. Then, if you think you can compete next year or in a few years, overpay for a defensive center in the UFA market.

If the Flames use this season to do a rebuild, I could see it being a relatively quick process. I think a lot of teams feel like they have a shot at the cup this year and would pay up for the better of the Flames players.

On the other hand, maybe Olli Jokinen is available.
Old 02-19-2013, 01:10 PM   #20
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weiser Wonder View Post
But it's probably best to bomb the season, .

Please please no. This approach is disgusting. This is a professional organization (at least it should be). The aforementioned approach was taken by Edmonton, openly taken, and it is disgusting.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote