Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Back Burner: The Calgary Wranglers and Flames Prospects Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-19-2012, 06:45 PM   #901
Johnny Rotten
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Saturdays need some crazy promoting though. I know the season ticket holders were requesting that some Flames alumni make appearances at the game for autograph signings or what not. I don't know how practical that would be though. Walter definitely needs to come with something for Saturdays though.

What about former NHLers who live in the Abbotsford region? Just a thought.
Invite them in for an autograph session...maybe even former, dare I say it, Canucks.
Johnny Rotten is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 11:20 AM   #902
flamesrule14
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

http://whl.ca/article/wheat-kings-fe...er-of-the-week

Ferland named player of the week in the WHL. 9 goals plus 4 assists in just 4 games.
flamesrule14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to flamesrule14 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-20-2012, 06:34 PM   #903
HighLifeMan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

2 Goals, and a +2 Rating for Sven Bartschi in a 7-2 win over Prince George today.

Season Totals:
40 Games Played, 24 Goals, 56 Assists, 80 Points
HighLifeMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 08:58 PM   #904
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighLifeMan View Post
2 Goals, and a +2 Rating for Sven Bartschi in a 7-2 win over Prince George today.

Season Totals:
40 Games Played, 24 Goals, 56 Assists, 80 Points
Ho hum, another average day at the office.
Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 09:16 PM   #905
flamesrule14
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Brossoit had a tough day today. 3 goals on 10 shots before being pulled. Definetly not his fault though. Had pretty much no chance on the 3 goals as the Oil Kings defence was terrible in the first period. Probably the 10th time I've seen him this season and he's got lit up in 3-4 of those games. I seem to catch him on his bad days.
flamesrule14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 12:10 PM   #906
Henry Fool
Franchise Player

Exp:

Tonight in the S&M League, another loss for TPS and Ortio (4-2), and another 1+1 night for Markus Granlund (in a 5-2 loss). That is all.

EDIT: Ortio's stats still okay, despite the fact that he has only one win in five starts. 2.39 gaa, .922 sv.

By my counting, Granlund has 22 points (11 goals, 11 assists) in 24 games since the november break.

Last edited by Henry Fool; 02-21-2012 at 12:20 PM.
Henry Fool is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Henry Fool For This Useful Post:
Old 02-21-2012, 10:05 PM   #907
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Nice to see our 2nd round picks impressing. Haven't had many of them and we need to make them count. Makes the Erixon trade better as well. Granlund's stats are quite impressive.
Flames Draft Watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 11:22 PM   #908
Drake
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sven Bartschi had an assist as Portland beat Prince George 8-1. Now has points in 11 straight games.

Max Reinhart had a goal as Kootenay beat Brandon 5-4 in a SO.
Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 12:27 AM   #909
Pierre "Monster" McGuire
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Heat lost 4-3 in a shootout tonight.

Goals from Walter (assists from Martin and Estoclet), Aliu (from Howse), and Walter (unassisted).

A bit of a surprising outcome considering the Heat are one of the better shootout teams in the league. Mind you, Irving is one of the best shootout goalies in the league and he wasn't in net tonight.

Oh well, they got the point tonight.

The Heat now sit at 7th place, four points out of fourth.
Pierre "Monster" McGuire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 09:43 AM   #910
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Fool View Post
Tonight in the S&M League, another loss for TPS and Ortio (4-2), and another 1+1 night for Markus Granlund (in a 5-2 loss). That is all.

EDIT: Ortio's stats still okay, despite the fact that he has only one win in five starts. 2.39 gaa, .922 sv.

By my counting, Granlund has 22 points (11 goals, 11 assists) in 24 games since the november break.
I am starting to wonder if Granlund might be a better prospect with a higher top-end than Backlund. He appears to be enjoying more success at a higher level in Europe than Backlund did at his age, and had a terrific WJC this last year as well. Is he as good as he appears, or is part of this a product of playing with his brother on a very good team? As someone who has the chance to watch him semi-regularly, I'm interested to know what your impression of Granlund is in the longer term.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 10:31 AM   #911
Johnny Rotten
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
I am starting to wonder if Granlund might be a better prospect with a higher top-end than Backlund. He appears to be enjoying more success at a higher level in Europe than Backlund did at his age, and had a terrific WJC this last year as well. Is he as good as he appears, or is part of this a product of playing with his brother on a very good team? As someone who has the chance to watch him semi-regularly, I'm interested to know what your impression of Granlund is in the longer term.
I'd like to know if he is ready to come to North America? Probably not, I'm guessing for the N.H.L., but would a year in Major Junior be good for him? I guess the good thing about his playing in Europe is that he is playing against men, and he's apparently having success there.
Johnny Rotten is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 11:02 AM   #912
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Rotten View Post
I'd like to know if he is ready to come to North America? Probably not, I'm guessing for the N.H.L., but would a year in Major Junior be good for him? I guess the good thing about his playing in Europe is that he is playing against men, and he's apparently having success there.
A year in Juniour? My first thought was that he would be too old, but I was pleasantly surprised to discover that he will be only 19-years-old next year, and won't turn 20 until April 2013. Maybe a year in the CHL would be a good option, and perhaps more feasible if his brother comes over to the NHL next year.

I'm surprised by how successful he has been in Europe this year considering his age. Should I be? More and more I am really liking this prospect. When he was first drafted there was a lot of talk of the huge gap in skill between Marcus and his brother Mikael, but honestly, it doesn't presently appear so vast as I had once assumed.

Quote:

Last edited by Textcritic; 02-22-2012 at 11:21 AM.
Old 02-22-2012, 11:48 AM   #913
Metro Gnome
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
I have started noticing Granlund as well. Some prospect writers I talk to respect him a bit more than I realized and his NHLE (NHL equivalence) this year so far is 31 (an extrapolation of the difficulty of the league relative to the NHL and his PPG pace) which is a pretty decent number for an 18-year old in a pro league. Only Ferland, Reinhart and Baertschi have better numbers this year and they are all older.

Im still somewhat skeptical. When I saw him at the WJC his strengths and weaknesses were on full display - good hands, vision, etc. but he really didn't want much to do with corner and board battles. We'll see how that develops. Also, it will be very interesting to see how he does without brother Mikael on the same team next year.
Metro Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Metro Gnome For This Useful Post:
Old 02-22-2012, 11:49 AM   #914
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

IIRC the Granlund brothers have to fulfill military duties in Finland before they move over to North America. Not sure about the length of it, but if it is similar to Mikael then I think it's unlikely that we see him in North America until 2013-14.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 12:11 PM   #915
Pierre "Monster" McGuire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Kind of a weird question, but does anyone know how to mathematically calculate "On Pace Point Production".

The websites I usually go to to check for what a player is "On Pace" for doesn't include prospects.

Is there some sort of formula maybe? (I'm really awful at math).

I'm asking because I'd like to know what Markus Granlund is on pace for relative to his brother's first full season in the SM-liiga.
Old 02-22-2012, 12:21 PM   #916
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's quite easy. Let's take Baertschi as an example: he has 81 points in 41 games, so just divide 81/41 = 1.97 points per game. Now multiply the result with the total number of games. Portland has 12 games left, so Baertschi could get to 53 games this season. So: 81 / 41 * 53 = 104.7 points projected for Baertschi.

You can do the same with goals and assists ... so Baertschi is on pace for roughly 31 goals + 74 assists = 105 points.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to devo22 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-22-2012, 01:05 PM   #917
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre "Monster" McGuire View Post
...I'm asking because I'd like to know what Markus Granlund is on pace for relative to his brother's first full season in the SM-liiga.
Is this what you are looking for?

Mikael Granlund, b. 26 February 1992:
2010–11: 39 GP • 8 G 28 A • 36 pts = .923 points/game

Marcus Granlund, b. 16 April 1993:
2011–12: 38 GP • 12 G 15 A • 27 pts = .711 points/game

Quote:
The Following User Says Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 02-22-2012, 01:08 PM   #918
Pierre "Monster" McGuire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo22 View Post
It's quite easy. Let's take Baertschi as an example: he has 81 points in 41 games, so just divide 81/41 = 1.97 points per game. Now multiply the result with the total number of games. Portland has 12 games left, so Baertschi could get to 53 games this season. So: 81 / 41 * 53 = 104.7 points projected for Baertschi.

You can do the same with goals and assists ... so Baertschi is on pace for roughly 31 goals + 74 assists = 105 points.
Awesome, thanks devo and Textcritic.
Old 02-22-2012, 01:15 PM   #919
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre "Monster" McGuire View Post
Awesome, thanks devo and Textcritic.
I would suggest just based on a glance at the numbers, and from what I remember of the WJC that Marcus benefits a lot from having his big brother on the ice. I am assuming that they play together—do they not? It will be good to see what happens when they are separated.

Quote:
Old 02-22-2012, 01:21 PM   #920
BloodFetish
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Fool View Post
Just curious - in that league what is considered 'good' stats for a goalie?

In the NHL the best goalies are above .920 and below 2.20 - is the Finnish league roughly comparable?
BloodFetish is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
go flames go! , oilers suck , prospects