Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-26-2012, 05:18 PM   #21
vanisleflamesfan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I posted this response on a car auction thread a few months ago, so here it is again verbatim, hope it helps:

I bought my car at auction and I am VERY happy with it. Of course with an auction you have to be careful and do your homework, but if you know what you are looking for and what you are bidding on, there are some great deals to be found.

My tips:

1. Go to an auction or two and observe how it works before you are ready to buy. The auction process can be a bit daunting the first time and it will help to know how everything works.

2. Most auctioneers will list (on their websites) the lots that are coming up for auction soon. Find a few cars that are interesting to you and begin to search out a reasonable price range in things like the autotrader.

3. Sign up for a service such as CARPROOF. On auction day have someone near a computer that you can call with the VINs to have them look them up. DO NOT SKIP THIS STEP!!! (Or look them up yourself on your phone)

4. Go early on the day of the auction so that you can really have a good look at the cars that interest you. Check them over as well as you can; interior, body, mechanical, etc. If you have a mechanically inclined friend, bring him or her along. Check everything over. You won’t be able to drive the car but you should be able to start it up.

5. When the cars that you are interested in come up on the block, wait a few moments to see if the auctioneer will drop the opening bid. They will often set the opening bid high at first and then drop it to get the bidding going. The worst thing is when some wingnut jumps right on the first price that the auctioneer gives. Let this guy have the car, he will overpay. Have a FIRM upper limit in mind and don’t bid over it. It is really easy to get caught up in the heat of the moment and overbid. It really is exciting. Don’t be afraid to walk away if your limit passes; remember that there will be a buyer’s premium on top of what the hammer price is so factor that in.

Have fun, buying at auction is really exciting and can be a great feeling when you know you got a good deal. PM me with any other questions
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to vanisleflamesfan For This Useful Post: