Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-09-2024, 12:02 PM   #14361
Cappy
First Line Centre

Exp:

While on the road GG,

I understand that Crowchild Trail in the NW goes NW to SE, but does the city really have to call them Crowchild West and Crowchild East instead of North/South
Cappy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cappy For This Useful Post:
Old 04-09-2024, 12:06 PM   #14362
InglewoodFan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Veterinarians GMG. Took my older dog to the vet for blood in her urine. Took a sample and yep, she has an infection according to the screening at the vet office. We get 5 days of antibiotics and are told we'll get a follow up call yesterday. Monday comes and goes so I call this morning. Oh, the sample didn't get sent to the lab for detailed analysis so we don't know if you need additional meds or not. And your vet isn't in until tomorrow. But hey, thanks for the several hundred dollars.
InglewoodFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2024, 12:39 PM   #14363
timun
First Line Centre

Exp:

Continuing the road-related GGs, did anyone else notice that the light sequence—and corresponding no-right-on-red-arrow sign—have been updated at NB Richmond Road to EB 17th Ave SW? Instead of the sign, and sequence, going

solid red
red arrow
green
yellow
solid red

it now goes

solid red
solid red + red arrow
green
yellow
solid red

The no-right-turn sign now correspondingly indicates no right turns when the two red lights are simultaneously lit.

I think it's still the dumbest signal in the city and should just be a regular no-right-on-red.
timun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2024, 03:20 PM   #14364
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by timun View Post
Continuing the road-related GGs, did anyone else notice that the light sequence—and corresponding no-right-on-red-arrow sign—have been updated at NB Richmond Road to EB 17th Ave SW? Instead of the sign, and sequence, going

solid red
red arrow
green
yellow
solid red

it now goes

solid red
solid red + red arrow
green
yellow
solid red

The no-right-turn sign now correspondingly indicates no right turns when the two red lights are simultaneously lit.

I think it's still the dumbest signal in the city and should just be a regular no-right-on-red.
I've brought it up before. I'm more annoyed by the people who can't figure it out, but it definitely needs to be simplified.
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DownInFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 04-09-2024, 03:47 PM   #14365
BlackArcher101
Such a pretty girl!

Exp:

Why not just add this to the pole and turn it on when people aren't allowed to turn? People suck at trying to decipher what multiple light combinations mean. The sign is used elsewhere in the city, why re-invent the wheel with some weird thing.

Last edited by BlackArcher101; 04-09-2024 at 03:49 PM.
BlackArcher101 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to BlackArcher101 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-09-2024, 03:52 PM   #14366
timun
First Line Centre

Exp:

I will freely admit the first time I came upon it I didn't get it. I didn't realize until after the sequence went from solid red to the red arrow that I could have gone right against the solid red light. When you've never seen the full sequence you're not expecting there to be that standalone red arrow light. I honestly thought it was like a typical left-turn light, in that it was supposed to have two solid red lights on top instead of one, and I presumed it only had the one on top lit simply because the one below it was burned out.

I think the subtle change to have both the solid red and arrow lights lit to indicate when right turns aren't permitted is an improvement, but it still should just be a typical traffic signal with a simple no-right-on-red restriction. In principle we shouldn't have custom, entirely non-standard traffic signals like that.
timun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2024, 07:10 AM   #14367
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engine09 View Post
I love it when I approach a 4 way stop and can tell another vehicle will arrive at the same time, I will purposely slow down a bit to let them stop first then I make my stop very distinct after theirs. They're still confused, don't know what to do and just sit there.
I like to stop early so I can go first. It saves time, which at my age is at a premium.
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MoneyGuy For This Useful Post:
Old 04-10-2024, 07:12 AM   #14368
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by topfiverecords View Post
Delete it and download Overcast.
Thanks for the recommendation. I’m using it and Overcast is excellent. I don’t like the ads, so I’ll consider paying for the ad-free version.
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MoneyGuy For This Useful Post:
Old 04-10-2024, 07:53 AM   #14369
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanni View Post
I had a lady yesterday stop in the middle of a through road, as I waiting for her to go by so I could turn left, to wave me through. Neither of us had a stop sign, no other cars around, just complete nonsense.
In the Glenmore Landing parking lot there is a stop sign if you’re heading south (at one point) and the traffic on the “main road” has nothing. The amount of old people who stop there to let people with a stop sign go ahead of them is staggering.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2024, 09:19 AM   #14370
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
In the Glenmore Landing parking lot there is a stop sign if you’re heading south (at one point) and the traffic on the “main road” has nothing. The amount of old people who stop there to let people with a stop sign go ahead of them is staggering.
I know the one. Then you're the ####### if you whip a can of coke at their back window. SMDH
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 04-10-2024, 09:32 AM   #14371
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Old white people are the worst, only thing worse are white people in general.
Old 04-10-2024, 09:37 AM   #14372
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shazam View Post
Old white people are the worst, only thing worse are white people in general.

Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 04-10-2024, 09:51 AM   #14373
psyang
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I might have mentioned this before, but there is a t-intersection in Edgemont where the through road has yield signs in both directions, but the road going into the t has nothing (and so have right of way). Every time I enter that intersection with another car approaching, something seems to go wrong.

Which brings me to another question. As I mentioned, the through road on this intersection has yields in both direction. If two cars approach from both directions close to the same time, one going straight, the other turning left, is it the case that the car that arrives at the intersection first has right of way, or the car that is going straight has right of way. Another way of asking is if the car turning left should always yield to the car going straight?
psyang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2024, 10:11 AM   #14374
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by psyang View Post
I might have mentioned this before, but there is a t-intersection in Edgemont where the through road has yield signs in both directions, but the road going into the t has nothing (and so have right of way). Every time I enter that intersection with another car approaching, something seems to go wrong.

Which brings me to another question. As I mentioned, the through road on this intersection has yields in both direction. If two cars approach from both directions close to the same time, one going straight, the other turning left, is it the case that the car that arrives at the intersection first has right of way, or the car that is going straight has right of way. Another way of asking is if the car turning left should always yield to the car going straight?
Car going left must yield to car going straight.
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DownInFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 04-10-2024, 02:55 PM   #14375
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownInFlames View Post
Car going left must yield to car going straight.
https://ama.ab.ca/articles/uncontrol...les-in-alberta

Yep.

What I was also taught, is that this rule is designed based on left driver side exposure. It's a risk mitigation strategy because there's a 99.9% chance of a driver on the left driver side of the vehicle for all vehicles on Canadian roads and a lower than 99% chance of an occupant in the passenger seat of the vehicle (ie: driving alone). I find memorizing the left driver side exposure to figure out who has right of way is easier than memorizing the rule.

The reason why car turning left must yield to car going straight is that in the absolute worst case scenario, the left turn car could hit the driver side part of the vehicle. In the absolute worst case opposite scenario, the driver going straight would hit the passenger side of a vehicle in the process of turning left.

Last edited by DoubleF; 04-10-2024 at 04:38 PM.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DoubleF For This Useful Post:
Old 04-10-2024, 03:04 PM   #14376
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

^ you probably got the wrong link there and might want to change that.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post:
Old 04-10-2024, 03:11 PM   #14377
fotze2
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
^ you probably got the wrong link there and might want to change that.
I was able to get into the account. What's the problem?
fotze2 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to fotze2 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-10-2024, 03:26 PM   #14378
Titan2
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Hilarious.

Aloysious@an#######.com?

Am i close?

Last edited by Titan2; 04-10-2024 at 07:02 PM.
Titan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Titan2 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-10-2024, 04:38 PM   #14379
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Doh, I stupid. Fixed.

@Titan, can you delete the link in the quoted post? Thanks.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2024, 06:30 PM   #14380
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

If you start lining up to board a plane before your zone is called, you're an #######
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to btimbit For This Useful Post: