Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-02-2024, 12:38 PM   #5321
cmyden
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

WestJet Encore pilots vote in favour of strike...

https://www.thestar.com/business/wes...9473b9ded.html

Quote:
WestJet Encore pilots could go on strike as soon as April 17 after they approved a strike mandate Tuesday.
Quote:
The airline narrowly averted a strike last year after talks with a different set of pilots came down to the wire, prompting the carrier to cancel more than 230 flights in preparation for a job action before a deal was reached hours ahead of the walkout deadline.

The collective agreement with pilots at WestJet and Swoop — but not WestJet Encore — granted a 24 per cent pay bump over four years.

Flight deals from other cities: Vancouver - Edmonton - Saskatoon - Regina - Winnipeg - Toronto - Montreal - Ottawa - Halifax
cmyden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2024, 02:15 PM   #5322
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sainters7 View Post
Flying to Paris tonight. Between the YYC closure a few days ago including a WestJet flight slipping on the runway, and reading on here about a random WestJet plane change this week that caused a mess, this thread is giving me anxiety for my WestJet flight ha-ha

Thank jebus its a direct flight at least, fingers crossed its smooth sailing & shenanigan-free!
I'd say you have no reason to worry. Those closures were such a perfect storm of bad conditions, and even then only lasted about half an hour. That's not going to happen today. And a flight like that won't have an equipment change from a 787 to a 737

You can look up your flight # on flight radar and see that that flight hasn't had a major issue all year, and they do it almost every day

Enjoy your trip! Can't wait to do that one myself some day
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to btimbit For This Useful Post:
Old 04-02-2024, 02:22 PM   #5323
Sidney Crosby's Hat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by morgin View Post
Ship has sailed on flight changes. Good to know for next time though! Guess we’ll see how this goes. The ability to schedule a security line appointment and the passport app seem like they’ll help speed it up. Fingers crossed!
If your flight arrives on time, I think you'll actually be okay. I had a YVR connection to Hawaii about 10 years ago through WestJet and the flight arrived late. But WestJet actually had a cart ready for us which brought us over to customs and that sped things up a decent amount. You also don't have to go through the main customs, they have a little shortcut area (or they did, like I said 10 years ago).
Sidney Crosby's Hat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2024, 02:47 PM   #5324
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

NEXUS fee to go up to $120 in October

https://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/cost-o...-120-1.6830453

Quote:
According to a Tuesday news release(opens in a new tab) from the Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA), the Nexus application fee is scheduled to increase from US$50 to $120 on Oct. 1, 2024.
Quote:
"The current fee, set over 20 years ago, no longer covers the cost of the program," the CBSA news release said. "The new fee would reflect more accurately the cost of administrating the program and the investment required for future program improvements, including technology and infrastructure enhancements."
Old 04-02-2024, 02:50 PM   #5325
Sidney Crosby's Hat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimbit View Post
NEXUS fee to go up to $120 in October

https://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/cost-o...-120-1.6830453
That's annoying since any credit card that might cover NEXUS only does a max $100, which used to cover myself and my wife and now it won't even cover one.
Sidney Crosby's Hat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2024, 02:52 PM   #5326
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidney Crosby's Hat View Post
That's annoying since any credit card that might cover NEXUS only does a max $100, which used to cover myself and my wife and now it won't even cover one.
Yeah that was my first thought too, wonder if those cards will change or not
Old 04-05-2024, 08:28 AM   #5327
surferguy
Monster Storm

Exp:

I’m flying tonight Calgary-Toronto-Houston

Will I go through US customs here or Toronto?

My guess is Toronto.

surferguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2024, 08:31 AM   #5328
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Toronto, since it is a domestic flight to get there.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 04-05-2024, 08:32 AM   #5329
surferguy
Monster Storm

Exp:

That was my thought as well.

Old 04-05-2024, 10:31 AM   #5330
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by surferguy View Post
I’m flying tonight Calgary-Toronto-Houston

Will I go through US customs here or Toronto?

My guess is Toronto.
Toronto. We have done it multiple times. When you arrive at YYZ you have to exit the secure area and then you will go back through Security to enter the US terminal and go through customs there. It is about a 10 minute walk from most gates to security. Hopefully you have a lot of time or a Nexus card because I've seen massive lines at US customs.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2024, 10:50 AM   #5331
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
Toronto. We have done it multiple times. When you arrive at YYZ you have to exit the secure area and then you will go back through Security to enter the US terminal and go through customs there. It is about a 10 minute walk from most gates to security. Hopefully you have a lot of time or a Nexus card because I've seen massive lines at US customs.
If you don't have Nexus the US has an app "CBP MPC" that allows you to use a shorter line by taking your own pictures and answering a couple of questions.
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2024, 11:03 AM   #5332
surferguy
Monster Storm

Exp:

I’m actually ditching the second half of the flight and staying in Toronto. Headed to Kingston for the eclipse instead of Texas now

The Following User Says Thank You to surferguy For This Useful Post:
Old 04-05-2024, 11:12 AM   #5333
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by surferguy View Post
I’m actually ditching the second half of the flight and staying in Toronto. Headed to Kingston for the eclipse instead of Texas now
Just know your return flight may be cancelled.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Weitz For This Useful Post:
Old 04-05-2024, 11:39 AM   #5334
surferguy
Monster Storm

Exp:

Already sorted

Old 04-06-2024, 01:07 PM   #5335
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Could also go in the RMMH thread, but my unbroken streak of flying solo and getting the whole row to myself continues!
The Following User Says Thank You to btimbit For This Useful Post:
Old 04-08-2024, 11:47 PM   #5336
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

Random Versailles question: I bought a ticket for the palace only, not the garden, but have since had a change of heart and want to add the garden as well. Is that an easy fix since I've already pre-paid for the "main event" part? I've just heard the lines are brutal, hoping to avoid it. Having trouble finding an answer.

I visited Mary Antoinette's Conciergerie cell yesterday from her final days, would like to see the juxtaposition of her Versailles hamlet after that experience.

Thanks if you know! Trying to figure out if it's worth going a couple hours before my timed entry or if it's not worth the hassle to alter.

UPDATE: all worked out. Loved Antoinette's more chill hamlet, I'm glad she didn't love that eyesore palace and tried to keep it real. Unreal spot, but I 100% get why the French Revolution happened after seeing that...

Last edited by Sainters7; 04-10-2024 at 06:38 PM.
Sainters7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2024, 06:41 AM   #5337
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

I’d bet someone in the Rick Steves’ travel forum could answer that question.
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MoneyGuy For This Useful Post:
Old 04-09-2024, 04:01 PM   #5338
Freeway
Franchise Player

Exp:

Headed to Barcelona and Madrid in October, if anybody has recommendations on things to check out in those cities.

"Does a great job covering the Flames" - Elliotte Friedman
Freeway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2024, 05:45 PM   #5339
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeway View Post
Headed to Barcelona and Madrid in October, if anybody has recommendations on things to check out in those cities.
We did a pretty good tour of Barcelona last summer. Get the Barcelona Card. https://www.barcelonacard.org/ It comes with an unlimited metro card that works on all subway, buses and trams. Free entry to a bunch of museums and discounts to others.

If Barcelona airport is your first stop there's a tourist info booth you can get them at. I think the gate we landed at on Westjet was Terminal 2, and Terminal 2 is actually three separate terminals A B and C. Which ever one we landed at, we had to leave the terminal and walk to the next one to find the place to buy the cards.

If your hotel is in the right location the Aerobus is a better choice to get from and to the airport compared to taking the metro but you'll have to map it and compare. You can pre-buy a round tip Aerobus ticket. You can also combine it with a multiday metro pass, but we figured the Barcelona Card was a better route.

If you're going to Montjuic Castle, take the gondola to the top and then walk down.

Figure out when golden hour will be and plan that as your ticket time at La Sagrada Familia. We did the tower as well, but it wasn't as necessary as I was expecting. You exit an elevator and immediately begin descending a circular stone stair giving you sliver window views of the some of the building.

Ciutadella Park was worth visiting. We rented a boat on the lake in the center which was great entertainment. There's also a great spot to chill and have a snack/drink near the "fountain". Unfortunately due to drought all of their fountains all over the city were off when we were there.

If you plan on going to any of the major sites, book online well in advance.
topfiverecords is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to topfiverecords For This Useful Post:
Old 04-09-2024, 08:01 PM   #5340
InglewoodFan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeway View Post
We were in Barcelona last fall. We just did a lot of wandering the streets. Wonderful city.

Culinarily - Hofmann, which is a culinary school that runs a one Michelin star restaurant. The lunch menu was reasonable and very well executed.

Cocktails - two of the top cocktail bars in the world are in Barcelona, Sips and Paradiso. I'd give the edge to Sips, Paradiso was more showy but Sips had a sherry cocktail I still dream about.

An FC Barcelona match was an amazing experience.
InglewoodFan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to InglewoodFan For This Useful Post: