Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-09-2024, 10:04 AM   #2241
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

I'm actually in Nanaimo for the day. I'm keeping my eyes open for him. Guessing he's in one of the many magic mushroom shops I've seen since I landed.
SportsJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2024, 02:14 PM   #2242
2Stonedbirds
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
and your point is?
They still aren't going to tear an 11 year old apart.
Do I need to have a point or can I add an observation without you getting bitchy?
2Stonedbirds is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 2Stonedbirds For This Useful Post:
Old 04-09-2024, 04:58 PM   #2243
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Stonedbirds View Post
Do I need to have a point or can I add an observation without you getting bitchy?
Most posts have a point.
But I guess it isn't a requirement.
And yeah this topic does make me bitchy.
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2024, 06:53 PM   #2244
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

The last time 2stoned tried to make a point everybody made fun of him so I can understand why he’s hesitant this time.
PepsiFree is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2024, 07:09 PM   #2245
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Now feels like a good time to politely request you directly link my quote in your signature so as to provide context for said quote.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran

Last edited by Yamer; 04-09-2024 at 07:12 PM.
Yamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2024, 04:16 AM   #2246
combustiblefuel
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm here. Just adjusting to new meds. I'm sorry if it was in coherent. I have ASD , was drinking and have other mental disorders on top of asbergers.

I'm glad I could make those who joked feel like big men for a small moment in thier lives. I'm sure you're 100% perfect.

Keep it classy. I'll explain my position with more rational when I'm adjusted to the changes I'm going through.

It is kinda sad to see the vitriol instead of a more empathetic approach. My initial objection was to the comment the bigger the dog the bigger the idiot. Whichbis just small minded .

The smallest person in our 100 + house neighborhood has the biggest dog, is one of the oldest ppl, is a former bio chemist and has the most well behaved dog . Mitilda the great Dane. Always looking at the owner, responds purely to hand commands . Every house in my 100+ neighborhood has 50lbs plus pound sized dog and their has never been close to a incident. This is not hyperbole every hose has at min a dog. In a 8 house radius their is 20+. 2 houses down have a full pack at 7. 3 more than bylaw allows. Nearly a Kipper scoffed because of it.

Maybe it's a bigger city issue?seems to happen in the bigger cities. Usually bleeding heart types that hope the can reform or idiots that never even tried. A) wanna seem gangster. B) I need a big dog to protect #### or option C) It need to be resued ! Maybe it's a pitbull issue ( I've owned one and I'm not even a fan of them ) It only worked for because I put in the work from a 3 month old pup. It was 5 hours of training a day for 10 years . It was exhausting. Unsubcriide in the future. I don't believe in giving rescue pitties, rotties etc a second chance. They learned what they learned and it a uphill , wasteful battle .

I have a big dog now . She's 100lbs . She's a Akbash. But I did my homework before choosing such a dog. I didn't just go all willy nilly into it. They are docile. Require large amounts of land to roam , great people and children dogs, stubborn but with repetition odidient and need just a 1hr of exercise daily.

Big southern turkey live stock guardian dogs that lay about 22 hours a day left unattended with herds for months on end.

I honestly don't think big dogs are the problem. We'll, with the exception to pitbulls and off shoots. I think It's the gangster mentality of owning a big dog . Owners get big dogs and encourage them to protect. Protect kids, protect the wife ,property etc etc

You shouldn't be allowed to own a big dog or any dog regardless of the size for protection. I also think maybe a govering body that's regulated should be in place to stop people from making such rash decisions legally. Dog ownership shouldn't be as easily accessible as it is . It took me months visiting with my current dog and working with her to make sure I was setup for success. Those were steps I took myself on behalf of my family and the dog .

The problem is there is no system outside the spca or rational thinking in humans that let their emotions not
get the way . " They need to be saved they had a hard life" or just bad humans they dont know better is not a acceptable excuse.

In conclusion, it is not a big dog problem. It's a pitbull and and it's off shoot problem . I took exception to the comment of the " bigger the dog the bigger the idiot " which is just not true. It a killer breed problem.

Last edited by combustiblefuel; 04-10-2024 at 05:28 AM.
combustiblefuel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2024, 08:23 AM   #2247
Boblobla
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by combustiblefuel View Post
Every house in my 100+ neighborhood has 50lbs plus pound sized dog and their has never been close to a incident. This is not hyperbole every hose has at min a dog. In a 8 house radius their is 20+. 2 houses down have a full pack at 7. 3 more than bylaw allows.

This sounds like an absolute nightmare of constant barking and ####ting.

Quote:
I honestly don't think big dogs are the problem. We'll, with the exception to pitbulls and off shoots. I think It's the gangster mentality of owning a big dog . Owners get big dogs and encourage them to protect. Protect kids, protect the wife ,property etc etc

In conclusion, it is not a big dog problem. It's a pitbull and and it's off shoot problem . I took exception to the comment of the " bigger the dog the bigger the idiot " which is just not true. It a killer breed problem.

So the problem is the owners but you take exception to the statement the bigger the dog the bigger the idiot?
Boblobla is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Boblobla For This Useful Post:
Old 04-10-2024, 09:14 AM   #2248
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

The original statement was “the bigger the idiot the larger the dog,” meaning the bigger idiot you are, the more you’re attracted to bigger dogs, not that all big dog owners are idiots.

All that said, I’m not sure why people keep missing the point with this “it’s not the size of the dog” nonsense. It literally is the size of the dog. Even among the same general class, handling a small Staffordshire terrier is 100x easier than handling a pitbull.

They can pursue breed bans, but they really need to ban and destroy dogs over a certain weight as well.

Last edited by PepsiFree; 04-10-2024 at 09:17 AM.
PepsiFree is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2024, 09:41 AM   #2249
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
I'm here. Just adjusting to new meds. I'm sorry if it was in coherent. I have ASD , was drinking and have other mental disorders on top of asbergers.

I'm glad I could make those who joked feel like big men for a small moment in thier lives. I'm sure you're 100% perfect.

Keep it classy. I'll explain my position with more rational when I'm adjusted to the changes I'm going through.
Dude. You were drunk and posted a totally incoherent post. We would have no way of knowing you were "adjusting to new meds" and nobody is going to come down on you or belittle you for any mental health struggles. But if you're going get drunk while on new medications and then post an impossible-to-decipher rant, people are probably going to ask some questions. Nobody was out to "feel like big men for a small moment in their lives" and nobody thinks because you drunk posted we're "100% perfect".

I just find it odd you want us to feel bad for engaging with your post. Would you prefer to be ignored? I think it's disrespectful to totally ignore a multi-paragraph post that somebody put time and effort into sharing, but I guess we could have gone that route. Asking for clarification and razzing you a little for a post that was clearly made while you were drinking is hardly offside.

Anyway, back to the main point: large and powerful dogs can and do maim and kill people and other animals. They are a risk to society in a way that small dogs are not. It's not any more complicated than that.

Best of luck adjusting and fine tuning your medications, though. Sounds like you're doing the right things to be on top of getting things sorted out and we'll be rooting for you to get into a more comfortable place :-).
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 04-10-2024, 10:34 AM   #2250
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

It is kinda sad to see the vitriol instead of a more empathetic approach. My initial objection was to the comment the bigger the dog the bigger the idiot. Whichbis just small minded .

The smallest person in our 100 + house neighborhood has the biggest dog, is one of the oldest ppl, is a former bio chemist and has the most well behaved dog . Mitilda the great Dane. Always looking at the owner, responds purely to hand commands . Every house in my 100+ neighborhood has 50lbs plus pound sized dog and their has never been close to a incident. This is not hyperbole every hose has at min a dog. In a 8 house radius their is 20+. 2 houses down have a full pack at 7. 3 more than bylaw allows. Nearly a Kipper scoffed because of it.

Maybe it's a bigger city issue?seems to happen in the bigger cities. Usually bleeding heart types that hope the can reform or idiots that never even tried. A) wanna seem gangster. B) I need a big dog to protect #### or option C) It need to be resued ! Maybe it's a pitbull issue ( I've owned one and I'm not even a fan of them ) It only worked for because I put in the work from a 3 month old pup. It was 5 hours of training a day for 10 years . It was exhausting. Unsubcriide in the future. I don't believe in giving rescue pitties, rotties etc a second chance. They learned what they learned and it a uphill , wasteful battle .

I have a big dog now . She's 100lbs . She's a Akbash. But I did my homework before choosing such a dog. I didn't just go all willy nilly into it. They are docile. Require large amounts of land to roam , great people and children dogs, stubborn but with repetition odidient and need just a 1hr of exercise daily.

Big southern turkey live stock guardian dogs that lay about 22 hours a day left unattended with herds for months on end.

You shouldn't be allowed to own a big dog or any dog regardless of the size for protection. I also think maybe a govering body that's regulated should be in place to stop people from making such rash decisions legally. Dog ownership shouldn't be as easily accessible as it is . It took me months visiting with my current dog and working with her to make sure I was setup for success. Those were steps I took myself on behalf of my family and the dog .

The problem is there is no system outside the spca or rational thinking in humans that let their emotions not
get the way . " They need to be saved they had a hard life" or just bad humans they dont know better is not a acceptable excuse.

This is a variation of the 'guns don't kill people, people kill people' argument and it is undoubtedly true, but again much like guns the only practical way we can make sure an idiot doesnt get an AR or a XL bully cross is to make sure no one has one basically because no one needs a big dog anymore than they need a machine gun
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to afc wimbledon For This Useful Post:
Old 04-10-2024, 10:41 AM   #2251
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Big dogs are a problem in the hands of idiots.
GreenLantern2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2024, 10:47 AM   #2252
chedder
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

It's not really just size though. It's breed. We have a bernese golden cross. You could literally pull his fur out and he won't touch you. These are two of the least likely breeds to bite and with ours it shows. Yet, he's 95 pounds.

Newfoundlanders and great danes are also on the least likely to bite list and they're giant.
chedder is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to chedder For This Useful Post:
Old 04-10-2024, 11:59 AM   #2253
Engine09
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Everyone always tries to argue the exception, yeah everyone knows that some big dogs are friendly. What is concerning are the big dogs with strong bite force who are dangerous as hell. Pit bulls, it's mostly pit bulls.
Engine09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2024, 12:22 PM   #2254
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

I didn't really see size as the main issue. I'd be less concerned about being bit by a golden retriever than many of the small nervous breeds.

But yes, the issue is mostly with working, guard, and fighting dogs in urban environments. There's no reason to specifically need a dog to have greater bite force and then have that dog around people.
blankall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2024, 12:37 PM   #2255
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

You should also have to weigh double the weight of the dog or something. The number of times I've seen a petite lady trying and failing to restrain a massive beast is, well, more than one. If you can't keep your dog from charging people, you can't have that dog.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 04-10-2024, 02:47 PM   #2256
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
You should also have to weigh double the weight of the dog or something. The number of times I've seen a petite lady trying and failing to restrain a massive beast is, well, more than one. If you can't keep your dog from charging people, you can't have that dog.
Hell, even then that's hard. My mom's 40lb Corgi was impossible for me to hold down to look at a cut on his foot, and I'm 220. Granted I was doing it in a way to not hurt him, but still, controlling a flailing animal or person is harder than it looks even with a massive size advantage
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to btimbit For This Useful Post:
Old 04-10-2024, 03:10 PM   #2257
2Stonedbirds
First Line Centre

Exp:

Dogs exert 3 times their weight in pulling force on the leash. So even the little ones can suprise you.
2Stonedbirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2024, 03:14 PM   #2258
Jason14h
Franchise Player

Exp:

Dogs bred for centuries to be violent , strong , fighters or guardians tend to be dangerous ? News at 11

I believe most people can absolutely handle these types of dogs . I know people with these types of dogs and they are lovely dogs . It really is (usually) the person not the breed . Usually ….. and that’s the problem

I also recognize I would still not leave my child at their place or unattended or leave my medium dog there unsupervised . Because the potential for damage is too high if something goes wrong . A smaller dog bites them . A child steps on their tail . Dogs get too hyper and don’t know their strength. Tons can go wrong and it’s not worth the risk reward to me . It doesn’t matter if these dogs are better behaved then little dogs on average - it matters what happens with disaster strikes . The same reason we don’t allow tigers and bears as pets despite the fact that some are very well trained and lovely animals

Unfortunently like everything in society we need to cater to the dumbest , most incompetent owners . This is why breed bans are the only practical solution . Comprehensive registration / adoption programs won’t affect the majority of the attacks - because these people would not register or go through the program anyways . You can almost always pick the demographic of the person when an article says “dog attack “

I do believe much more punative and jail punishments should be handed out as well - but I don’t think that actually would make a difference . The people that would deter are not the people who are having their dogs attacking

Last edited by Jason14h; 04-10-2024 at 03:19 PM.
Jason14h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2024, 05:44 PM   #2259
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by afc wimbledon View Post
This is a variation of the 'guns don't kill people, people kill people' argument and it is undoubtedly true, but again much like guns the only practical way we can make sure an idiot doesnt get an AR or a XL bully cross is to make sure no one has one basically because no one needs a big dog anymore than they need a machine gun
Hell, I'm more comfortable around guns than some of these breeds of dog. Guns won't decide on their own without human input to do something crazy
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2024, 06:52 PM   #2260
BigThief
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Dogs exert 3 times their weight in pullingforce on the leash. So even the little ones can suprise you.
This was my partner late this afternoon as I was driving home down the street and she was walking our dogs. I slow down to honk and wave as she's picking up the smaller ones poop. He goes batty to run to me, whips around her and the leasch catches her legs plopping her into the wet grass. I laugh. 15 pound Boston Terrier vs 110 pound girl. Not a chance for the human.
BigThief is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dog attack puppy barking