Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 11-26-2007, 05:21 PM   #1
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Mario Galaxy review

Finally finished my Galaxy review! Give it a read if you're still on the fence about it.

http://www.nwaffle.com/2007/11/26/su...galaxy-review/
OutOfTheCube is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 05:52 PM   #2
FireFly
Franchise Player

Exp:

I can't believe you finished it already. Great write-up!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moneyhands23 View Post
If edmonton wins the cup in the next decade I will buy everyone on CP a bottle of vodka.
FireFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 06:02 PM   #3
Bertuzzied
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I only have 15 stars but I've been playing with the wii zapper all week. Best deal for $20!! Plus they are releasing a combo House of the Dead 2and3 for the wii! wickeD!
Bertuzzied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 07:40 PM   #4
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Nice review, makes me wish I hadn't sold my Wii (never play it). I'll borrow one to play this I'm sure though.
Old 11-26-2007, 11:53 PM   #5
Kjesse
Retired

Exp:

Good review. Great game, as you've pointed out.

One contrary opinion: This game's graphics are not on par with any next gen effort on other consoles. Not even close. Its better than anything I've seen on the Wii to date, but does not come close to even first gen xbox 360 titles (for example, Condemned, which the Wii could not achieve)... at least in my opinion.

Still, Super Mario Galaxy is the best game so far this year, maybe even this decade. WoW is probably still a more significant gaming achievement, however.

I've bookmarked your site, pretty cool, nice job.
Kjesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 08:31 AM   #6
llama64
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delgar View Post
Good review. Great game, as you've pointed out.

One contrary opinion: This game's graphics are not on par with any next gen effort on other consoles. Not even close. Its better than anything I've seen on the Wii to date, but does not come close to even first gen xbox 360 titles (for example, Condemned, which the Wii could not achieve)... at least in my opinion.

Still, Super Mario Galaxy is the best game so far this year, maybe even this decade. WoW is probably still a more significant gaming achievement, however.

I've bookmarked your site, pretty cool, nice job.
Mario Galaxy uses it's graphical elements in a stronger and more artistically superior way to most other games out there. Kinda similar to Starcraft in that it doesn't have the most amazing graphics but they are used in such a way that they really tie the game together. But really, judging graphics at this point in the video games timeline is all about personal taste.

WoW is more of a technological achievment then a gaming achievment. It didn't do anything revolutionary beyond making the traditional MMORPG more accessible.
llama64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 10:20 PM   #7
I-Hate-Hulse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Played this game for 20 minutes and I have to say I hate it. Quite a disappointment as I was revved up after reading the reviews. While I would agree with much of what is said in OOTC's review, at the end of the day it's a game designed for kids. Nintendo fromage, lamely named stuff, cartoony characters, and a general Romper Room atmosphere. If more mature gamers can find great pleasure in it - that's awesome, but to call it game of the year? That'll be a stretch to anyone who wants a little more in a console and a game.

IMHO
I-Hate-Hulse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 10:43 PM   #8
JayP
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Hate-Hulse View Post
Played this game for 20 minutes and I have to say I hate it. Quite a disappointment as I was revved up after reading the reviews. While I would agree with much of what is said in OOTC's review, at the end of the day it's a game designed for kids. Nintendo fromage, lamely named stuff, cartoony characters, and a general Romper Room atmosphere. If more mature gamers can find great pleasure in it - that's awesome, but to call it game of the year? That'll be a stretch to anyone who wants a little more in a console and a game.

IMHO
Why don't you come back after you've played long than the initial cutscenes?

Mature gamers - what a load. Nintendo gamers are generally a hell of a lot more mature than the 12-year olds who splooge themselves over Halo 3 and Gears of War because there's blood, guns and characters who look like they've done more roids than Bonds.

Other games might have a better story or atmosphere, but they don't touch Galaxy in the most important catagory - gameplay. Something that's gone the wayside for OMG!!!1!!111 graphics (see Assassin's Creed)

Get all 120 stars and tell me the game is designed for kids.
JayP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 10:54 PM   #9
McG
Franchise Player

Exp:

i will probably pick this one up for my kids...which means i will be playing the tough stuff. good write up and nice site.

side not to JayP...I don't think its fair btw to categorize gamers by platforms or age groups...wii has many new (and older) gamers while obviously an existing fan base from previous nintendo games. 360 has high end games not particularly aimed at children...but they find a way to play. i personally prefer the 360...but that's what choice is all about.

We had joy, we had fun, we had a season in the sun, but the wine and the fun like the season is all gone.

Average team is average. Average drafts, average results, average trades, average asset management, average vision, average outcomes. Average.
McG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 12:41 AM   #10
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

IMHO
Haha, guess you're too cool for cartoony characters.

Or maybe you're too busy playing the first level of Halo 3 and calling it the best game ever made right?

Hold on, I have to go watch the opening credits of Star Wars and tell everyone what a boring movie it is because all it is is words on a screen...
Old 12-17-2007, 01:02 AM   #11
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTheCube View Post

Or maybe you're too busy playing the first level of Halo 3 and calling it the best game ever made right?

Hold on, I have to go watch the opening credits of Star Wars and tell everyone what a boring movie it is because all it is is words on a screen...
Completely uncalled for.

His opinion of something is just as valid as yours.

Not even sure why you're getting all twisted up, he agrees with your review, its just not a game for him.
browna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 01:22 AM   #12
Hakan
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I don't think Galaxy is as good as Mario 64 and here's why:

The gameplay is way too linear. There really is a certain path that you must follow on each mission and because of which, it's quite easy to reach the end of the level. In Mario 64 they gave you the mission title and you had to figure out what to do. Exploring and trying things was a crucial component in Mario 64 that was lost in Galaxy. I find the accomplishments less rewarding and more sterile because of it. Granted I've only collected 79 stars so maybe the harder stars with that exploration are still coming up. Also, the levels themselves were better in Mario 64. They had a more calculated design whereas it seems like Galaxy was focused on graphical representations first instead of gameplay.

I like Galaxy it just isn't as good as everyone says it is in my opinion.
Hakan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 07:11 AM   #13
JayP
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by browna View Post
Completely uncalled for.

His opinion of something is just as valid as yours.

Not even sure why you're getting all twisted up, he agrees with your review, its just not a game for him.
His opinion is of 20 minutes of the game.

Anyone who's played Galaxy (or any game released recently for that matter) know that the first 20 minutes is always cutscenes to introduce the story and tutorial missions.

It's pretty ridiculous to judge a game based off of the tutorial.
Old 12-17-2007, 08:26 AM   #14
JayP
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hakan View Post
I don't think Galaxy is as good as Mario 64 and here's why:

The gameplay is way too linear. There really is a certain path that you must follow on each mission and because of which, it's quite easy to reach the end of the level. In Mario 64 they gave you the mission title and you had to figure out what to do. Exploring and trying things was a crucial component in Mario 64 that was lost in Galaxy. I find the accomplishments less rewarding and more sterile because of it. Granted I've only collected 79 stars so maybe the harder stars with that exploration are still coming up. Also, the levels themselves were better in Mario 64. They had a more calculated design whereas it seems like Galaxy was focused on graphical representations first instead of gameplay.

I like Galaxy it just isn't as good as everyone says it is in my opinion.
A fair opinion, but remember that the game is meant to be linear.

Essentially the game is as close to a 3D version of the side-scrolling Marios as you're going to get. The gameplay is straight-forward, but the platforming itself is much improved on the other 3D Marios.

At 79 stars you probably haven't done the purple coin levels yet. Some of those are definitely have the Mario 64 feeling. You really have to search every nook and cranny of the level to get them all.
Old 12-17-2007, 10:58 AM   #15
I-Hate-Hulse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Sigh - I knew the "N" fanbois would take my comments this way and get all haughty. I've never disagreed with the gameplay comments in OOTC's review, although I could never give that much love about what still sounds like electrosynth music - but that's just my preference. Agreed - it's nice to have something different than a RTS or 3D shooter and props to Nintendo for doing that.

I applaud the revolutionary gameplay that the Wii provides, but as good the graphics are in SMG, I just can't rave about it as I know there's more out available out there on other systems. Tiger 2008 for Wii is a great example - awesome to play on the Wii (they finally fixed the backswing - yay!) but I look at the crap graphics compared to my X360 version and I wonder about the lost opportunity to make a truly awesome system.

Bottom line - I just can't "get into" the atmosphere Nintendo creates, and that includes the DS that I own (and am trying to sell). Anime characters with big googly eyes because the graphic capabilities suck. Cheezy translated scrolling words as there's no capability for voice over. I'm 35 yrs old and still trying to stomp on mushrooms and rescue some fairytale Princess. Would you laugh at a 35 year old man playing with Pokemon? I do - but that's just me.

Custom Robo Arena for the DS is a great example of this. I bought this thinking "hey, I like Mech games" this could be good. Instead, you play the role of some elementary school kid on a playground, and have the same cartoony graphics that most Nintendo game have. I feel like I'm on a Leapster.

I'll play SMG a bit more as I've got the damn thing, and like you say, should play it a bit more to give it a chance. But will it keep my interest when the next bring shiny object comes out for X360? I doubt it. (For the record, I though Bioshock or H3 wasn't as amazing as others thought)

And in general, given your tagline - "Waffles are awesome - Just like Nintendo" I'm not quite I'd expect you to say much else. Not saying your review of SMG was off or anything, but it's kind of like getting an Apple fanboi to really trash the platform and abandon it.

I don't expect to change your mind, but I think it's a good counterpoint to express for the casual or non Nintendo gamer that might be considering buying Super Mario Galaxy.

Last edited by I-Hate-Hulse; 12-17-2007 at 11:07 AM.
I-Hate-Hulse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 11:11 AM   #16
JohnnyFlame
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I've never been able to understand nor do I think I ever will the "graphics" argument. I don't see any reason to buy a game other than gameplay. Nothing else wouldn't even be remotely close in my decision.

Would I quit watching my favorite show if for some reason I only had a TV that was inferior to my old one. NOT a chance.

The logic of it is pretty simple. No matter what the graphics are or what system it is if the game is fun to play then I'll play it. Meanwhile it could have the greatest graphics of any game out there by a huge margin and if it's a boring game then adios.

I play games to play games -- there is NO other valid reason.
JohnnyFlame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 11:19 AM   #17
llama64
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyFlame View Post
I've never been able to understand nor do I think I ever will the "graphics" argument. I don't see any reason to buy a game other than gameplay. Nothing else wouldn't even be remotely close in my decision.
Graphics stopped being a deciding factor for me when I played Starcraft for 6 + years straight. It came out in 1998 and is still a better game then nearly every RTS game released since then.

Got a chance to play Mario Galaxy a week or so ago. Not as engaging as I had hoped but still better then anything else released in recent days.
llama64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 11:33 AM   #18
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyFlame View Post

Would I quit watching my favorite show if for some reason I only had a TV that was inferior to my old one. NOT a chance.

The logic of it is pretty simple. No matter what the graphics are or what system it is if the game is fun to play then I'll play it. Meanwhile it could have the greatest graphics of any game out there by a huge margin and if it's a boring game then adios.

I play games to play games -- there is NO other valid reason.
They don't make or break games, but it helps. When judging whether I enjoy a game or not, I take the whole package into consideration. Ultimately gameplay is a deciding factor, but other things such as graphics, sound, etc. either add to or detract from the overall enjoyment of the game.

I guess everyone is different where they place the importance of graphics, but for me I place enough emphasis on it so that it does affect my overall decision of how much I enjoy a game. I know for a fact games like Final Fantasy would be less fun for me if they didn't have the amazing graphics that they do. Well, its actually more of their artistic style that I like, but graphics help bring out that artistic style.
The Yen Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 11:39 AM   #19
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I don't get why some people have to get so defensive when people don't like the same things they do. IMO, your comments are no better than Sony and Xbox fanboys making fun of Nintendo games for being too kiddie. People just have different tastes, and whether you like it or not, presentation does factor into whether or not someone enjoys something. If its not their cup of tea, it's not their cup of tea.
The Yen Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 11:49 AM   #20
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Sigh - I knew the "N" fanbois would take my comments this way and get all haughty. I've never disagreed with the gameplay comments in OOTC's review, although I could never give that much love about what still sounds like electrosynth music - but that's just my preference. Agreed - it's nice to have something different than a RTS or 3D shooter and props to Nintendo for doing that.

I applaud the revolutionary gameplay that the Wii provides, but as good the graphics are in SMG, I just can't rave about it as I know there's more out available out there on other systems. Tiger 2008 for Wii is a great example - awesome to play on the Wii (they finally fixed the backswing - yay!) but I look at the crap graphics compared to my X360 version and I wonder about the lost opportunity to make a truly awesome system.

Bottom line - I just can't "get into" the atmosphere Nintendo creates, and that includes the DS that I own (and am trying to sell). Anime characters with big googly eyes because the graphic capabilities suck. Cheezy translated scrolling words as there's no capability for voice over. I'm 35 yrs old and still trying to stomp on mushrooms and rescue some fairytale Princess. Would you laugh at a 35 year old man playing with Pokemon? I do - but that's just me.

Custom Robo Arena for the DS is a great example of this. I bought this thinking "hey, I like Mech games" this could be good. Instead, you play the role of some elementary school kid on a playground, and have the same cartoony graphics that most Nintendo game have. I feel like I'm on a Leapster.

I'll play SMG a bit more as I've got the damn thing, and like you say, should play it a bit more to give it a chance. But will it keep my interest when the next bring shiny object comes out for X360? I doubt it. (For the record, I though Bioshock or H3 wasn't as amazing as others thought)

And in general, given your tagline - "Waffles are awesome - Just like Nintendo" I'm not quite I'd expect you to say much else. Not saying your review of SMG was off or anything, but it's kind of like getting an Apple fanboi to really trash the platform and abandon it.

I don't expect to change your mind, but I think it's a good counterpoint to express for the casual or non Nintendo gamer that might be considering buying Super Mario Galaxy.
Well it's quite obvious you weren't going to like the game in the first place so why would you even buy it?

and come on:

Quote:
I could never give that much love about what still sounds like electrosynth music
That leads me to believe you haven't actually played ANY of it, since well over 85% of the music is fully orchestrated.

You also mistake style and design choices as being a fault of the consoles capabilties.

Last edited by OutOfTheCube; 12-17-2007 at 01:22 PM.