Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 03-31-2007, 10:28 AM   #21
HelloHockeyFans
n00b!

Exp:

My only suggestion to you is to SHOP AROUND and wait for a deal.

Deals will happen, and when they do, you get a very good deal.

I recently bought a 50" LG Plasma HDTV which was selling for about $2599 (I think?) and was on clearance for $1999. A little bargaining, and I ended up getting the unit for $1699.
Old 03-31-2007, 09:49 PM   #22
jschick88
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Cleaning an LCD TV

I just bought a new LCD TV a few weeks ago and just wondering what others use to clean the screen?

thanks
Old 03-31-2007, 11:20 PM   #23
Bobblehead
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulcan View Post
To me LCD is the best until something like SED comes along but even this has burn in.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Surface...mitter_display
I agree, but because of the court cases it doesn't look like SED will hit mainstream for a couple more years.

I'm trying to figure out which LCD TVs are going to use LED backlights. That is supposed to give real improvement in contrast and black levels. A good compromise until SED arrives.
—Daniel J. Boorstin, historian, former Librarian of Congress
"But the Senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity"
—WKRP in Cincinatti
Old 04-01-2007, 01:28 AM   #24
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jschick88 View Post
I just bought a new LCD TV a few weeks ago and just wondering what others use to clean the screen?

thanks
Look in your manual. I'd use whatever they suggest.
Old 04-01-2007, 10:19 AM   #25
Regulator75
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regulator75 View Post
Which television would you chose, if you weren't paying for it?

http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/pro...7&catid=23526#
50 inch Pioneer Plasma 1080i / 1366x768p / $4199.99

http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/pro...50&catid=23527
52 inch Samgsung LCD 1080P / 1920 x 1080 / $3999.99

http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/pro...98&catid=23527
52 inch Sharp Aquos LCD full 1080P / 1920x1080 / $3999.99

http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/pro...86&catid=23524
46 inch Sony XBR LCD 1080P / 1920x1080 / $4299.99

Help me decide.

After much deliberation and going back and forth...I am happy with my final decision. Funny, it's none of the previous choices I named.

http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/pro...0079165&catid=
46 inch Sony Bravia LCD 1080P $3299.99

After viewing them side by side and investigating "known problems" online, I feel good about this Sony.

The Sony XBR2/3 series has been having a lot of white / clouding issues.

Pioneer Plasma, glass is way too reflective for my liking. Sharp contrast and colours though...

Sharp Aquos, nice LCD still too reflective though. Plus known horizontal / vertical banding problems.

Samsung, didn't care for the high glossy piano black trim. Great picture though, very similar to the Sony.

Plus the 46 inch is a better fit in our living room, the 52 inch will be too large after all the measurements were done.

Thanks for the input CP!

More photos on Flickr
Old 04-01-2007, 11:01 AM   #26
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regulator75 View Post
After much deliberation and going back and forth...I am happy with my final decision. Funny, it's none of the previous choices I named.

http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/pro...0079165&catid=
46 inch Sony Bravia LCD 1080P $3299.99

After viewing them side by side and investigating "known problems" online, I feel good about this Sony.

The Sony XBR2/3 series has been having a lot of white / clouding issues.

Pioneer Plasma, glass is way too reflective for my liking. Sharp contrast and colours though...

Sharp Aquos, nice LCD still too reflective though. Plus known horizontal / vertical banding problems.

Samsung, didn't care for the high glossy piano black trim. Great picture though, very similar to the Sony.

Plus the 46 inch is a better fit in our living room, the 52 inch will be too large after all the measurements were done.

Thanks for the input CP!
Sounds like you made a great intelligent choice. To me half the fun of buying something like this is doing the investigating so I find what suits my needs.
Old 04-02-2007, 09:31 PM   #27
nieuwy-89
First Line Centre

Exp:

I have a 42" Toshiba DLP. I've had it for about 6 months, and it recently started making a low tone "buzzing" sound whenever it is turned on. Sometimes it will go away after an hour or so.

Does anyone know what it could be, and if it is a quick fix?

I am going to phone Toshiba since it is on warranty, but I'm curious if anyone else has had this problem.
Old 04-02-2007, 10:00 PM   #28
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Don't know but I'd check out the rear projection section at digitalhomecanada.
Old 04-06-2007, 09:04 AM   #29
mrdeeds
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jschick88 View Post

thanks

http://www.consumer.philips.com/cons...ESHQNHKFSEKI5P
Old 04-06-2007, 09:08 AM   #30
mrdeeds
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nieuwy-89 View Post
I have a 42" Toshiba DLP. I've had it for about 6 months, and it recently started making a low tone "buzzing" sound whenever it is turned on. Sometimes it will go away after an hour or so.

Does anyone know what it could be, and if it is a quick fix?

I am going to phone Toshiba since it is on warranty, but I'm curious if anyone else has had this problem.
I would phone Toshiba. It is probably something to do with the fan. I bought a 52" Toshiba last year and out of the box it was noticeable. Of course not like in the store. Got it replaced in the after 1 week.

About 3 months later, the bulb went. Got it replaced under warranty and has been good since. I would check out your model on Toshiba's website to see if it might be covered just in case.
Old 04-07-2007, 12:20 PM   #31
Devils'Advocate
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Situation:
- I take possession of a house on May 31st and will be moving out of my tiny apartment. I currently have no place to put a 50 inch TV, so right now I'm just browsing. I'll be putting the TV in the entertainment room, which is in the finished basement where the lighting is dim.

Now, one of my projects for the next month is to convert all my hockey games (Wings series, Stars series, Ducks series) from VHS to DVD so I can junk all the tapes rather than move them so I purchased a DVD recorder at Future Shop this morning. While I was there I was perusing what they had to offer. I started checking out the 50 inch Panasonic plasma they have on sale:
http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/pro...gon=&langid=EN

Well, buddy sees I'm interested so he comes rushing over to tell me that it's $500 off plus they are throwing in the $500 stand (as it says in the ad). I don't really want the stand as I was hoping to wall mount it and he's all "but the stand is free, so take it and throw it in a closet somewhere, so whenever you want to sell the next owner can have the stand". I ask if I can get a free wall mount instead of the stand - the wall mount is cheaper. He tells me that they can't do that. Then he starts telling me that I have to buy it today because he only has one left and they are not going to be selling this model anymore so it's no good to get a raincheque and that if I don't take it right now, it's going to be gone quickly because it's such a good deal. Nothing is more of a put-off to me than a pushy salesman, so I was outta there.

So with all that setting and mostly useless information:
(1) Can Future Shop salesman change the deal so I get the wall mount instead of the stand? Or was he just being difficult?
(2) Can I buy something now and ask for it to be delivered in June? I guess, worst case scenario I could leave it at a friends place for 2 months.
(3) And I guess most importantly, that I'm not sure about that "not selling this model anymore". I'm concerned that if Future Shop is dropping this model, there is something wrong with it? Or maybe the guy made that up to force the sale?
Old 04-07-2007, 12:39 PM   #32
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hey DA, [1]. I'd guess that the stand is a deal from Panasonic.
[2] I'd wait, prices are generally going down and quality going up but
[3] as new models come out, last years models [which is what I'd guess this Panasonic is] can be grabbed for a good price.

If you don't buy now, you'll have time to investigate and pick what type of format and model is right for you.

Here's a link for pricing on that TV. It's a long read so maybe skip to the last few pages.

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=42863

Last edited by Vulcan; 04-07-2007 at 12:46 PM.
Old 04-07-2007, 01:40 PM   #33
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'll add there is a 10% off sale on online TVs at Future Shop this weekend so maybe you can get this TV for $2250.
Old 04-07-2007, 01:44 PM   #34
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devils'Advocate View Post
Situation:
- I take possession of a house on May 31st and will be moving out of my tiny apartment. I currently have no place to put a 50 inch TV, so right now I'm just browsing. I'll be putting the TV in the entertainment room, which is in the finished basement where the lighting is dim.
The reason you are seeing huge deals on TVs right now is that the end of the model year is upon us. So you will see $2000 TVs on sale for $500 off, because the model to replace it will sell for $1300 with more features.

If you don't have a need for it for 2 months, then don't buy it.

Have you ever known consumer electronics to go up in price?
Old 04-10-2007, 11:33 AM   #35
rockstar
Franchise Player

Exp:

Someone on CP mentioned the other day that he/she likes to unplug the centre speaker when the game is in HD, and thus does not have to listen to the commentator.

I tried this the other day. The play-by-play guy is definitely quieter, but I could still hear him out of the front left and right speakers.

Do I not have my sound field on the right setting? Was it perhaps not true 5.1 surround (or whatever it is)?

Thanks.

PS - It was the NBC broadcast of Philly/Buffalo.

Old 04-10-2007, 02:01 PM   #36
Bobblehead
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Yeah, simsubbing is a constant thorn with Bell. It seems everytime it's happening I get the picture freezing, sound troubles, etc. The Global and City stations out of Toronto have no reason to exist on satellite. There programming is almost all simsubbing and I never watch it. CTV is almost as bad.

The Sharp Aquos at Costco is a good choice. I hear it's a great TV, I'd like the 42", but has banding problems. At Costco you can keep returning it with no questions until you get a good one.

Yeah, I hear the lc52d92u was supposed to have corrected that (at least in the current ones). The ones before Christmas or the 62u had issues.

I've read the black levels on this TV are supposed to be some of the best around, and black levels have been a big knock against LCD.

The room I would put the TV is pretty bright, so a plasma isn't ideal for that situation.

I was hoping to see LED back-light units starting to filter down, but either they are rare or I don't know how to read the model numbers to identify them.

(PS - Vulcan - I grabbed your quote from the EVU/SC thread so not to muddy that discussion)
"But the Senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity"
—WKRP in Cincinatti
Old 04-10-2007, 02:26 PM   #37
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've found most of my information [sometimes to much information] on the Sharps at the AVS Forum. Check it out if you haven't already.
Old 04-10-2007, 02:29 PM   #38
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

not sure if anyone else has ever experienced this.

I have Bell Expressvu. No complaints so far, but something strange on the HD side. All of my American HD stations come in just fine. NBC, ABC, etc. Even TSN or Sportsnet are fine. But my CBC sucks. It pixilates every 15 seconds or so, making a CBC HD broadcast unbearable to watch. Any suggestions?
Old 04-10-2007, 03:51 PM   #39
Bobblehead
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I've found most of my information [sometimes to much information] on the Sharps at the AVS Forum. Check it out if you haven't already.

I have, but the stickied thread on AVS about these models (well, the 62u predecessors) has 9600+ posts!
—WKRP in Cincinatti
Old 04-10-2007, 03:53 PM   #40
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

Habby- tune to CBC-HD, then select <Menu><6><1><1>. This will bring you to the aiming screen. Tell me what is says in the bottom for signal strength; a number between 1 and 100. It should be above 70, but if it's below, that could be the issue.

Other than that, I do find CBC to be the worst of all my HD channels. I was actually shocked on Saturday to see it looked good then.
Closed Thread