Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 06-12-2017, 01:22 AM   #261
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KootenayFlamesFan View Post
Sid's last 4 seasons. Holy moly.

Yeah, but hes no McDavid. Sid's going to have to start working harder.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 06-12-2017, 01:47 AM   #262
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by カナダ人です View Post
Are there still a lot of people here who wouldn't trade Bennett for Matt Murray?

Back-to-back shutouts on the way to back-to-back Cups. If the Pens offered Murray for Bennett I think the Flames would be crazy not to take that.
Who are these lot of people?

Bennett will probably become a beast 30-30 type of guy but you trade that for a true young #1 G every time and add a 1st on Sundays
Snuffleupagus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 02:29 AM   #263
1qqaaz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Matt Murray's trade value is astronomically high.
I can hardly comprehend how effective and consistent he has been at every level. And he's still so young.
1qqaaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 03:40 AM   #264
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

Reading this article on TSN about Fleury's emotional experience at knowing he's done with the Pens is painful. I can't believe it has been since 2003 that he has played with the Pens.

What a bittersweet way to end things, getting one more cup but winning nine games in the playoffs only to get pulled and never be allowed back in after one bad performance.

I wonder how this is going to affect him mentally with whatever team he joins next. He showed in the first two rounds that he can still be great, but I imagine a lot of his future will depend upon how he processes this emotionally.

"If stupidity got us into this mess, then why can't it get us out?"
JohnnyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 05:03 AM   #265
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Panthers Fan View Post
This is going to be one of those heartbreakers for Nashville, I can feel it.

Heading into the 3rd at home, tied after plenty of good chances to score, including a disallowed goal from a quick whistle. Penguins are going to get some weird bounce and score a goal late in the 3rd to win the cup.
Goddam it. I hate it when I'm right. It's rarely about something I want to be right about.
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 07:03 AM   #266
Flames007
Draft Pick

Congrats to the people that are Pens fans
Flames007 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flames007 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-12-2017, 07:04 AM   #267
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

crazy how the preds got shafted and then Pittsburgh wins on a fluke goal that required a lot of "hand-eye" co-ordination.....in this day and age I am not sure why the NHL is not reviewing every goal, but they seem to be able to call back goals on in-consequintal offsides....
Old 06-12-2017, 07:29 AM   #268
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm on board for leaving 'reviews' all up to human error/decisions.
If you can't eliminate it entirely it seems foolish to do so partially.
EldrickOnIce is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 07:40 AM   #269
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

I hope the NHL goes back to the drawing board with replay this summer. This was IMO the worst season every for officiating and I believe that replay played highlighted everything that is wrong with NHL officiating. Like the officiating crews night to night replay there was zero consistency in rulings. What's goaltender interference on one replay is not in another. What's offside taking away one goal is not conclusive on another. Multi-tiered rules for star players and organizations. It seems like some organizations never get any breaks while others seemingly can do no wrong. Officials not calling obstruction on obvious plays. The officials that rather let them play than do their job and call penalties. The lame habit of fabricating make up calls. The offside rule needs to be changed from what's reviewable and goaltender interference needs black or white criteria so if a goaltender is touched in the crease it's no goal as right now you have no idea. The quick whistles have been a problem for years now and IMO they need to train officials to refrain from blowing the whistle if they are at an angle that obstructs them from seeing where the puck could be and rely on the other official if they have a better angle as this league needs more goals not less.

I never thought I would see the say where another professional sport could give the CFL a run for worst officiating but it's hard to imagine the CFL doing a worse job than the NHL officiating over the 2016/17 season and playoffs. There has to be a lot of traditional non-hockey fans that watched these playoffs wondering what the hell was going on with these offside calls and goaltender interference calls or non-calls going back to the first round. If your plan is to grow your sport into non-traditional markets you can't have fans scratching their heads and questioning what is going on. Just a terrible year for NHL officiating. Terrible!

Last edited by Erick Estrada; 06-12-2017 at 07:47 AM.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 06-12-2017, 08:32 AM   #270
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Thomas Roost‏ @thomasroost
Interesting fact: With the @penguins and the @PredsNHL two of smallest and lightest teams of the NHL did face each other in the final...
Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 08:56 AM   #271
gunnner
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Interesting. When things got nasty with the Ducks, the Preds showed alot of grit to battle through that series.
gunnner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 09:00 AM   #272
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishSpring2013 View Post
remember when teams would skate around the ice togehter, handing it off one-by-one.. and not this awkward skate by urself in the same spot stuff?
probably too many cords on the ice and this guy! Canucks ruin everything.

Johnny Makarov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 09:02 AM   #273
Flamenspiel
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

If you look at the replay of the goal, there is a net battle between Maata and Sissons, Maata stops playing and lets him go when he hears the whistle. After that Sissons dives to put the puck in, the dive makes no sense unless he heard the whistle and is hoping for an appeal.

Still a bad call but its not necessarily a goal if the whistle is not blown.

Last edited by Flamenspiel; 06-12-2017 at 09:18 AM.
Flamenspiel is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flamenspiel For This Useful Post:
Old 06-12-2017, 11:01 AM   #274
rustycana
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zamler View Post
Aside from the Flames face planting against the Ducks this has been a good season. Oilers dreams were crushed in epic fashion by the Ducks, Crosby leads his team to a another Cup win. Suck it Crosby haters.

As for the quick whistle no excuse for that terrible call, but Sissons should have been suspended something the Pens haters conveniently leave out. Also the refs were game managing to a ridiculous degree trying to make up for the blown call Preds failed to take advantage.

Crosby is moving his way into a top 5 player all time.
I would say after the 2017 season:

Gretzky
Orr
Howe
Lemieux
Beliveau
Crosby
Messier
Richard
Harvey
Lidstrom

May have a tough time cracking the top 4. Just my opinion obviously...
rustycana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 12:06 PM   #275
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
I hope the NHL goes back to the drawing board with replay this summer. This was IMO the worst season every for officiating and I believe that replay played highlighted everything that is wrong with NHL officiating. Like the officiating crews night to night replay there was zero consistency in rulings. What's goaltender interference on one replay is not in another. What's offside taking away one goal is not conclusive on another. Multi-tiered rules for star players and organizations. It seems like some organizations never get any breaks while others seemingly can do no wrong. Officials not calling obstruction on obvious plays. The officials that rather let them play than do their job and call penalties. The lame habit of fabricating make up calls. The offside rule needs to be changed from what's reviewable and goaltender interference needs black or white criteria so if a goaltender is touched in the crease it's no goal as right now you have no idea. The quick whistles have been a problem for years now and IMO they need to train officials to refrain from blowing the whistle if they are at an angle that obstructs them from seeing where the puck could be and rely on the other official if they have a better angle as this league needs more goals not less.

I never thought I would see the say where another professional sport could give the CFL a run for worst officiating but it's hard to imagine the CFL doing a worse job than the NHL officiating over the 2016/17 season and playoffs. There has to be a lot of traditional non-hockey fans that watched these playoffs wondering what the hell was going on with these offside calls and goaltender interference calls or non-calls going back to the first round. If your plan is to grow your sport into non-traditional markets you can't have fans scratching their heads and questioning what is going on. Just a terrible year for NHL officiating. Terrible!
or just make replays transparent.

Why can't the people in the arena see the review while it's going on?
Why can't we at home and those in the arena listen to the discussion between refs and the control center? IIHF you can hear refs talk in their thick German accents.

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GirlySports For This Useful Post:
Old 06-13-2017, 06:33 AM   #276
Tsawwassen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattanboy View Post
Always awkward to win the Cup in a visiting rink.
I know what you're saying, but, I don't think the Penguins think it's awkward. They have won all five of their cups on the road. The Flames won it in Montreal and could have won it in Tampa Bay which would have been terrific.
Old 06-13-2017, 06:40 AM   #277
Tsawwassen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleury View Post
Anyone who thinks the NHL has bad refs hasn't watched an NBA game.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FireGilbert View Post
The NBA is horrible but the NHL is a close 2nd. MLB is usually great although there are no penalties to call and the NFL, although it has many issues, is at least consistent calling penalties in all situations.
Gotta agree, the NBA reffing is brutal. Just look at some of the calls in game 5 of the NBA finals, yikes! European soccer has its issues too.