Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 03-27-2017, 01:52 PM   #41
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itse View Post
I think it's the opposite. IMO there are now so many good superhero films that they're keeping the bad ones afloat.

People seem to forget that Hollywood superheroes have been a thing ever since Tim Burton made a ton of money with Batman. All through the nineties we got Punisher, Rocketeer, Shadow, Phantom, Spawn, Blade... Mostly "dark and gritty" because that was supposedly the way to do superheroes back then. Mostly they bombed, because mostly they were crap.

Then X-Men and Sam Raimi's Spider-Man trilogy happened, and suddenly crap superhero movies like Daredevil or Ghost Rider start making decent money, or at at worst they break even like Elektra or Green Lantern.

Then Disney and Marvel turn superheroes into the biggest moneymaking machine in movie history, and now crap superhero movies like Suicide Squad can make $700M+. Sure, Suicide Squad is better than Daredevil (which is better than, say, Shadow). But there's no way such a mess of a movie with mostly obcsure characters makes that kind of money on it's own merits.

Cashing in on the success of better movies works.
I would say this is all true. What I would add is that the successful/good ones can give rise to obscure characters in good ways (ala GotG). The amount of money their big guns bring in gives them the freedom to take risks.

The DC problem is that they've kind of bunked up their big guns, and so their fringe characters will be met with more skepticism vs the "what the hell, why not?" feeling of something like GotG, or even Thor.
Old 03-27-2017, 01:55 PM   #42
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyC View Post
I would say this is all true. What I would add is that the successful/good ones can give rise to obscure characters in good ways (ala GotG). The amount of money their big guns bring in gives them the freedom to take risks.

The DC problem is that they've kind of bunked up their big guns, and so their fringe characters will be met with more skepticism vs the "what the hell, why not?" feeling of something like GotG, or even Thor.
I don't think it's that complicated. Deadpool shows that the public will embrace a one off movie despite a recent failure in the main line. Logan shows the public will embrace a character, despite multiple recent failures with that same character.

What it comes down to is that DC has to make a good movie. So far, they're movies have not only been poor, but fundamentally flawed in basic aspects of storytelling and movie making. Their production makes them feel disjointed and clunky in ways that professional movies simply shouldn't be.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to blankall For This Useful Post:
Old 03-27-2017, 02:10 PM   #43
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

Ya the majority of fans are forgiving, but you still need to deliver. So they get my hopes up and then they put a batmobile with machine guns in a trailer and I lose all hope again.

I don't think DC will be good again until Snyder is gone. Sounds like his wife is also equally to blame.
Old 03-27-2017, 02:41 PM   #44
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
I don't think it's that complicated. Deadpool shows that the public will embrace a one off movie despite a recent failure in the main line. Logan shows the public will embrace a character, despite multiple recent failures with that same character.
There haven't been any massive failures though. Every movie with Wolverine has done at least okay, even though Logan is the first that has gotten real critical acclaim. He's so popular they even stuffed him in Apocalypse for no real reason.
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 03:15 PM   #45
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

Wolverine: Origins was a pretty big disaster, especially the Deadpool part. And X-3 was just... well awful.
Old 03-27-2017, 04:37 PM   #46
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern View Post
Wolverine: Origins was a pretty big disaster, especially the Deadpool part. And X-3 was just... well awful.
Artistically, sure, but both movies got decent audiences and ended up making okay money.
The Following User Says Thank You to Itse For This Useful Post:
KPJ
Old 03-27-2017, 06:51 PM   #47
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Artistically, sure, but both movies got decent audiences and ended up making okay money.
BvS also sold gangbusters in the box office with 871 million worldwide.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 08:39 PM   #48
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
BvS also sold gangbusters in the box office with 871 million worldwide.
Bad movies can make good money. News at eleven.
Old 03-27-2017, 10:29 PM   #49
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

This movie looks really, really bad.
Mr.Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 10:36 PM   #50
savemedrzaius
Help, save, whatever.

Exp:

Nathan Fielder as The Flash! Hell yeah!

(Seriously though, how awesome would it be if it was Nathan Fielder as The Flash? Would turn me into a big DC fan instantly)
savemedrzaius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 10:43 PM   #51
CMPunk
aka Spike

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by savemedrzaius View Post
Nathan Fielder as The Flash! Hell yeah!

(Seriously though, how awesome would it be if it was Nathan Fielder as The Flash? Would turn me into a big DC fan instantly)
CMPunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 11:26 AM   #52
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

Quote:
Ahh I didn't realize we were talking box office revenue, well then ya, any crappy movie can sucker people in. We've seen that over and over again.
Old 03-28-2017, 03:54 PM   #53
Burninator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Snyder is known to make mediocre good looking movies with showy trailers. I see no reason to give him the benefit of the doubt here (lost it for BvS). His movies have visual wow moments that make for great scenes in the trailer, but fall short during the actual movie.
Burninator is offline   Reply With Quote