Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 04-21-2017, 09:09 AM   #481
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

I watched it about 4 more times recently. It's so good.

Tarkin was robotic and emotionless in real life, so the CGI is not bad at all. I'd almost argue CGI Tarkin is better than real Tarkin, LoL.

I think the movie did a great job of showing how the struggle against the Empire is fought by a great many people who believe in freedom. Lack of character development is almost a feature of the movie because it highlights how everyday Joes are sacrificing themselves for the Cause. It's not just Skywalkers vs the Emperor.

I think it's better than TFA, but once Episode VIII comes out, it might tie off the loose ends of TFA and TFA becomes the better movie. It's exciting times.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 09:24 AM   #482
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
I watched it about 4 more times recently. It's so good.

Tarkin was robotic and emotionless in real life, so the CGI is not bad at all. I'd almost argue CGI Tarkin is better than real Tarkin, LoL.

I think the movie did a great job of showing how the struggle against the Empire is fought by a great many people who believe in freedom. Lack of character development is almost a feature of the movie because it highlights how everyday Joes are sacrificing themselves for the Cause. It's not just Skywalkers vs the Emperor.

I think it's better than TFA, but once Episode VIII comes out, it might tie off the loose ends of TFA and TFA becomes the better movie. It's exciting times.
I liked it because of the display of the overwhelming strength and resolve of the Empire itself. Lets be honest, the rebels really did get their butts completely kicked in that final battle. they got the plans but at a high price in terms of ships, and in terms of losing a command ship and their senior field leader.

The Empire was also willing to vaporize a massive and important base to kill the rebels, they also nuked a whole city full of civilians as a test.

As far as victory's go, it was a blood one, and if there was a sequel we'd probably see a rebellion that was on the verge of disintegrating.

I mean, sure the plans got out but the actual end result which was the death star was more due to incredible luck of the force then due to a weak empire. And in the end that battle again cost the Rebels probably most of their front line fighter forces, and a strategic base.

I also liked that it was pretty clear that Krennic, and Vader and Tarkin all talked a big game in terms of bringing peace and order to the galaxy, their actual real goal was trying to gain favor with the Emperor which was his real power.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 09:38 AM   #483
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

I always look at lack of character development as a Star Wars trait, they were famous for showing a ton of different races/characters without even giving us a name (unless you delve into the literature).

Maybe they are thinking one of these times a Two Tubes or Big White Fury Guy will become the next Boba Fett.
Old 04-21-2017, 10:00 AM   #484
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern View Post
I always look at lack of character development as a Star Wars trait, they were famous for showing a ton of different races/characters without even giving us a name (unless you delve into the literature).

Maybe they are thinking one of these times a Two Tubes or Big White Fury Guy will become the next Boba Fett.
Lol yes. Basically two truly interesting characters (Solo and OT Vader imo) in 8 movies worth of characters.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 12:32 PM   #485
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern View Post

How can you forget about the incredible Prune Face

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 05-01-2017, 08:40 AM   #486
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Finally did a re-watch yesterday, still just as good as the first viewing. It was cool being able to pick out the original X-Wing pilots after refreshing myself with ANH prior, missed those easter eggs the first time

One thing I question though is why they bothered with CGI Tarkin. It didn't bother me as much on the re-watch, but given that they simply recast Mon Mothma I don't understand why they couldn't do the same with Tarkin. I'm sure they could have found someone who would have looked the part with the right makeup, just seems like it was unnecessary
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 09:02 AM   #487
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

They tried in revenge of the Sith with a short cameo and fans still found a way to crap over it.

Plus Tarkin is like the Empire's version of Bobba Fett, he's kind of iconic.

Old 05-01-2017, 09:24 AM   #488
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
Finally did a re-watch yesterday, still just as good as the first viewing. It was cool being able to pick out the original X-Wing pilots after refreshing myself with ANH prior, missed those easter eggs the first time

One thing I question though is why they bothered with CGI Tarkin. It didn't bother me as much on the re-watch, but given that they simply recast Mon Mothma I don't understand why they couldn't do the same with Tarkin. I'm sure they could have found someone who would have looked the part with the right makeup, just seems like it was unnecessary
I think Tarkin was a bit more...iconic? Mon Mothma barely said a few words and always reminds me of:

And again, I havent rewatched it in a while but I still dont see the damage.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 09:32 AM   #489
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post

I agree with this, as someone who actually enjoyed the CGI and thought it was really neat to see Tarkin back in action, I would have been fine with a re cast. Even the Guy who did the voice/motion capture for the CGI looks enough like him that it would have been a good choice.

Old 05-01-2017, 09:40 AM   #490
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Honestly, if you re-cast the guy you're going to slather him in makeup and then people are just going to complain about that.

I think its just time to declare it a 'no-wing scenario' (Kobiyashi Maru) and move along.

People will complain about the CGI, people will complain about the recast, people will complain about anything and everything. Especially Star Wars people. Complaining is basically the bright center of their Universe.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 05-01-2017, 10:52 AM   #491
belsarius
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Honestly, if you re-cast the guy you're going to slather him in makeup and then people are just going to complain about that.

I think its just time to declare it a 'no-wing scenario' (Kobiyashi Maru) and move along.

People will complain about the CGI, people will complain about the recast, people will complain about anything and everything. Especially Star Wars people. Complaining is basically the bright center of their Universe.
I find the Star Trek reference in a Star Wars thread disturbing...
The @NHLFlames are the first team to feature four players each with 50+ points within their first 45 games of a season since the Penguins in 1995-96 (Ron Francis, Mario Lemieux, Jaromir Jagr, Tomas Sandstrom).
belsarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 10:55 AM   #492
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Peter Cushing just had a unique look to him and its funny to think that he played such pure cold evil while wearing slippers.

The boots were painful for him.

But you just look at his hollow look he was pretty much a skull.

Without a ton of makeup I don't think anyone else can pull him off.

They didn't really have to exaggerate his look in TCW and Rebels

Old 05-01-2017, 11:00 AM   #493
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by belsarius View Post
I find the Star Trek reference in a Star Wars thread disturbing...
Me too, but it had to be done and I was the one to do it.

I regret nothing!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 06-27-2017, 09:55 PM   #494
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Does anyone know what this is? (By anyone, I mean Cap'n)

I was led to believe it was a blu ray release in a vinyl record size gatefold with 12x12 prints included. Pretty badass if real, but I can't find anything about it except this one image.

Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 09:57 PM   #495
Cecil Terwilliger

Exp:

Double post.

Last edited by Cecil Terwilliger; 06-27-2017 at 10:03 PM.
Old 06-27-2017, 10:09 PM   #496
Cecil Terwilliger

Exp:

I think I got it.

Appears to be something put out by Disney for a selection of movies called a "big sleeve". I think it's only in the U.K. ####ing awesome if you ask me.

I would definitely buy (some) movies again if they came like this.

Looks like Disney have only released about half a dozen movies in this format. Rogue One was a Tesco (British Walmart?) exclusive.

Last edited by Cecil Terwilliger; 06-27-2017 at 10:14 PM.
Old 06-27-2017, 10:09 PM   #497
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

That's new, I remember that the Force Awakens released a CD of the John Williams sound track and it had something similar except it was a 12 x 12 fold out vinyl falcon and tie fighter.

I don't recall seeing something like that advertised in a DVD set.

Old 06-27-2017, 10:18 PM   #498
Cecil Terwilliger

Exp:

U.K. Amazon page for TFA edition.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/..._i=11420887031

How are these uk only? Am I the only one who thinks these are insanely cool? I buy exactly zero blu rays. Especially Disney since their Marvel and SW stuff is on Netflix. I'd buy pretty much every release if they came like this.
The Following User Says Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 06-27-2017, 10:22 PM   #499
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I buy some collectors issues of DVDs when I really like a movie and it has replay value like Star Wars.

Old 06-27-2017, 10:47 PM   #500
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
How can you forget about the incredible Prune Face

Come on man, he's got a name ffs.

(I miss this CCG)
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote