Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-07-2015, 10:42 PM   #1
To Be Quite Honest
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Media Servers

I currently have the PS3 media server which worked well for what I needed, but now I have 2 Ps3's in the house, 2 tablets (when family come) and android phones... What's a good android program for the phones and tablets?

Is there a better media program with good trans-coding? I currently am trying plex but they want cash for each unit or a giant wad of cash to include everything and, frankly, that's for suckers.

Any suggestions for programs would be super duper!

Last edited by To Be Quite Honest; 10-07-2015 at 10:51 PM.
To Be Quite Honest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 01:55 AM   #2
Diemenz
First Line Centre

Exp:

Plex is free server side. The only time you pay is when you want plex pass which enables syncing of the media on the server, you do not need plex pass for streaming. I do believe that the app costs a few bucks on the google store however.

I use plex running on a server and use it to stream to all my devices, iPhone, iPad, Laptops, Roku etc and have never paid a penny for anything other then the app on my iPad.

I thought the app was free on PS3 and didn't require plex pass, I know on the PS4 it requires it. If the PS3 does require plex pass just use the browser and go to the web interface and stream that way.

Last edited by Diemenz; 10-08-2015 at 01:59 AM.
Diemenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 07:45 AM   #3
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

We stream everything from NAS or Web to phones, tablets, computers, TV's, chromecasts, etc using the Kodi client and could not be happier with the results. Literally thousands of addons for Web streaming as well, many of which are actually legal.
Your need for server transcoding rules Kodi out though. Good luck with plex. Maybe I need to try it out again, for something to do. I had nothing good to say about it the first time - but maybe my server computer was not sufficient at the time.
Good luck!
EldrickOnIce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 08:56 AM   #4
Bobblehead
Franchise Player

Exp:

I use Plex; I have all my media on a NAS and run the plex server on my main computer. It works really well. I used PS3 Media Server for a while, but Plex was just a much more rich interface. (Actually, Plex is a fork of PS3 MS).
I've used the Plex Android App, PS3 App, MS App (on Win10), Web App, and RasPlex (Plex built to run on Raspberry Pi). And they all work together flawlessly.

I actually bought the Plex pass - the functionality was good enough that I wanted to support the project.
—Daniel J. Boorstin, historian, former Librarian of Congress
"But the Senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity"
—WKRP in Cincinatti
Bobblehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 11:51 AM   #5
Stealth22
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Another +1 for Plex. I've got it running on a server in my basement, and I use it to stream content to the WDTV player, and I've used the Android app with my Chromecast as well. I've experimented with the iOS app on my wife's iPad as well, but haven't used it to watch anything yet. Everything works flawlessly.

A downside of Plex is, at least if you host it on a Windows box, you need to be logged in to the computer/server in order for Plex to stay running. If you log off, Plex closes. I don't know if they've changed it since, but someone developed a third-party wrapper that runs it as a Windows Service. I put that on my Windows server, problem solved.

I haven't paid anything for Plex, aside from a few bucks that I paid for the mobile apps. And if you really want to run it for $0.00, you can also hook up a laptop to the TV (or a HTPC, or anything with a web browser), and navigate to the web interface on your Plex server. Streaming via the web interface is free.
Stealth22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 12:00 PM   #6
Diemenz
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealth22 View Post
Another +1 for Plex. I've got it running on a server in my basement, and I use it to stream content to the WDTV player, and I've used the Android app with my Chromecast as well. I've experimented with the iOS app on my wife's iPad as well, but haven't used it to watch anything yet. Everything works flawlessly.

A downside of Plex is, at least if you host it on a Windows box, you need to be logged in to the computer/server in order for Plex to stay running. If you log off, Plex closes. I don't know if they've changed it since, but someone developed a third-party wrapper that runs it as a Windows Service. I put that on my Windows server, problem solved.

I haven't paid anything for Plex, aside from a few bucks that I paid for the mobile apps. And if you really want to run it for $0.00, you can also hook up a laptop to the TV (or a HTPC, or anything with a web browser), and navigate to the web interface on your Plex server. Streaming via the web interface is free.
You do not have to be logged in, it should run as a service natively. I log out as I MRD into my server from my macbook and my surface each time logging in/out the administrator and it continues to run
Old 10-08-2015, 12:04 PM   #7
Stealth22
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diemenz View Post
You do not have to be logged in, it should run as a service natively. I log out as I MRD into my server from my macbook and my surface each time logging in/out the administrator and it continues to run
You're running the Windows version? Maybe they've changed it then. I haven't updated the software in a while.

There was a whole thread about it on the Plex forums a while back, and someone came up with that Service wrapper.
Old 10-08-2015, 12:08 PM   #8
Diemenz
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealth22 View Post
You're running the Windows version? Maybe they've changed it then. I haven't updated the software in a while.

There was a whole thread about it on the Plex forums a while back, and someone came up with that Service wrapper.
Yes I'm running it on a windows 10 machine and the most recent version of Plex. I have not had an issue with logouts for about 3 years now. I didn't change anything on my end.
Old 10-08-2015, 12:21 PM   #9
Stealth22
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Yes I'm running it on a windows 10 machine and the most recent version of Plex. I have not had an issue with logouts for about 3 years now. I didn't change anything on my end.
Hmm, strange.

I may have to update and see. But from a cursory search on the Plex forums, it looks like people are still using the service wrapper: https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/93...s-as-a-service
Old 10-08-2015, 12:45 PM   #10
Diemenz
First Line Centre

Exp:

Never had a single issue, nor have the 3 others I know that are using Plex on their windows boxes.

I took a quick look at that thread and some of the users seem to be running windows OS's that are obsolete or using a Microsoft account on their server. I can honestly say I am not using the wrapper, I have not had to use the wrapper on my Windows 7 sp3, Windows 8.1 or windows 10 machines. I did have to use it before SP3 on windows 7 however.
Old 10-08-2015, 01:59 PM   #11
MickMcGeough
First Line Centre

Exp:

I use Plex, and I actually don't mind paying a company who makes excellent software I use every day.

Also worth checking out is Emby (https://emby.media/). I haven't used it myself but it's picking up a lot of steam and is free.

MickMcGeough is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MickMcGeough For This Useful Post:
Old 10-08-2015, 02:59 PM   #12
Stealth22
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Never had a single issue, nor have the 3 others I know that are using Plex on their windows boxes.

I took a quick look at that thread and some of the users seem to be running windows OS's that are obsolete or using a Microsoft account on their server. I can honestly say I am not using the wrapper, I have not had to use the wrapper on my Windows 7 sp3, Windows 8.1 or windows 10 machines. I did have to use it before SP3 on windows 7 however.
That makes sense...I used to have Plex running on 2008 R2, so that probably had something to do with it. Its running on 2012 R2 now, but I just installed the wrapper assuming that I had to use it.

I may have to play with it when I have time, haha. Thanks for pointing that out!
Old 10-08-2015, 05:19 PM   #13
To Be Quite Honest
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't mind paying for a service either, but I refuse to pay for each device or pay a monthly service. This seems to be their operating procedure now. PS3 does what plex does sans android devices and I prefer the PS3 media server. Plex also disrupted my PS3 media server (It blocked it completely) so people who aren't tech savvy couldn't use it. Not a fan.

Anyway, Plex is not on the table for me.
Old 10-08-2015, 06:29 PM   #14
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickMcGeough View Post
I use Plex, and I actually don't mind paying a company who makes excellent software I use every day.

Also worth checking out is Emby (https://emby.media/). I haven't used it myself but it's picking up a lot of steam and is free.
I use Emby exclusively and it is fantastic displaying and transcoding over 5TB of media for all my various devices. They have a faster release cycle and seem to address bugs faster than Plex. Also Emby is free. If you do anything with Live TV they are superior to Plex. I have my Cable broadcast and transcoded so I can watch TV anywhere I go now, even on my phone.
FlameOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 10:06 AM   #15
MickMcGeough
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlameOn View Post
If you do anything with Live TV they are superior to Plex. I have my Cable broadcast and transcoded so I can watch TV anywhere I go now, even on my phone.
Oooh - please tell me more about this.

Old 10-09-2015, 10:35 AM   #16
Stealth22
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I'll let FlameOn answer that, but from a very brief search, it seems like you need a network-enabled TV tuner, like the HDHomeRun: http://www.silicondust.com/products/...run/extend-ca/

I thought I read something about Plex working on support for HDHomeRun, so I think I might look into getting one of those...

I'll dig into it some more when I have time, and post what I find.
Old 10-11-2015, 12:19 AM   #17
To Be Quite Honest
Franchise Player

Exp:

Emby is great so far. Very easy to use and it has linked everything with ease.
Old 10-11-2015, 09:46 AM   #18
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yes Stealth22, you are right. I had to jump through a few hoops to get it to work but I got an Hdhomerun, took the cable card out of a older dead DCX series Cable box and got it reactivated. This may be a bit difficult if the company gives you trouble though.

The OTA ones will work no problem.

Last edited by FlameOn; 10-12-2015 at 10:49 AM.
Old 10-13-2015, 12:56 PM   #19
MickMcGeough
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlameOn View Post
Yes Stealth22, you are right. I had to jump through a few hoops to get it to work but I got an Hdhomerun, took the cable card out of a older dead DCX series Cable box and got it reactivated. This may be a bit difficult if the company gives you trouble though.

The OTA ones will work no problem.
Assuming you did this on Shaw?

Old 10-15-2015, 03:36 PM   #20
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickMcGeough View Post
Assuming you did this on Shaw?
Yep. It was on Shaw. I had to get them to re-initialize the box and got it provisioned the HDHomerun's one way host. Said there were communications issues and a few other things and talked to a few different CSRs before one got it working. Thing is with the CableCard, it will appear to be the same box as the one that was supplied by Shaw, just host will be different.

Issue is this will only work with some of Shaw's older DCX boxes and only if you can get them to swap it to a one-way host. I did this a long time ago though so I don't remember what was said exactly. They do not allow external equipment on their network so mentioning that would probably be a non-starter.