Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 04-11-2014, 07:57 AM   #1
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:
Default Rumor: AHL Pacific division as soon as 2015? Dreger: says Flames will move west

http://msn.foxsports.com/arizona/sto...filiate-041014

Quote:
That divide could shrink soon. Multiple league sources with knowledge of the situation said several western-based NHL teams are seeking to form a Pacific Division within the AHL, with affiliates closer to home.

The new division, which is likely to be approved by the AHL, would ideally begin play in the 2015-16 season. Los Angeles, Anaheim, Phoenix (soon to be Arizona) and San Jose could be included, along with western Canadian teams Calgary, Edmonton and Vancouver.

There have been stories the past couple seasons detailing the western teams' desire to have affiliates closer to home.

Last edited by sureLoss; 12-18-2014 at 10:07 AM.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 04-11-2014, 08:01 AM   #2
Pierre "Monster" McGuire
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's about time, however, this will have no impact on the Heat's attendance.

If the AHL does do a Western expansion, I'm wondering if the Flames' wouldn't do well in Salt Lake City?
Pierre "Monster" McGuire is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Pierre "Monster" McGuire For This Useful Post:
Old 04-11-2014, 08:08 AM   #3
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Good. Would be great if the traveling situation for the Heat could improve.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 08:12 AM   #4
Matty81
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre "Monster" McGuire View Post

If the AHL does do a Western expansion, I'm wondering if the Flames' wouldn't do well in Salt Lake City?
Slc has been my number one choice for a while. With the market size they might even turn a profit, only drawback is I think the current lower level team plays way out in the burbs.

Bring back the golden eagles
Matty81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 09:12 AM   #5
Alberta_Beef
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I'd like to see AHL teams in some old IHL cities. Starting with Salt Lake, Anchorage, Las Vegas, Kansas City and San Diego

I would also want to get a few strong ECHL cities in the mix like Ontario (LA), Stockton, Fort Wayne and Boise

I also believe if done right an AHL team in Omaha would be quite successful. I also think Houston should have a team.

With those cities in addition to the Heat, Wild, Wolves, Milwaukee Admirals, Rampage, Stars, Griffins, Ice Hogs and Barons they could even have a post expansion real western conference.
Alberta_Beef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 09:46 AM   #6
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

In the spirit of a Pacific Division, I think Boise would be a great choice, always have. CenturyLink Arena holds 5,002 seats for hockey, and is currently the home to the Idaho Steelheads. The arena hosted the 2007 ECHL All-Star Game. The team currently sells out about 80% of the arena every game.

Boise is only a quick flight from Calgary, has a local /metro population of 212,000 / 616,000 and has an airport that caters to all major destinations in Western US (not sure there's a direct Calgary flight, though).
Muta is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Muta For This Useful Post:
Old 04-11-2014, 10:14 AM   #7
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muta View Post
(not sure there's a direct Calgary flight, though).
There isn't.
DoubleK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 10:29 AM   #8
PIMking
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta_Beef View Post
I'd like to see AHL teams in some old IHL cities. Starting with Salt Lake, Anchorage, Las Vegas, Kansas City and San Diego

I would also want to get a few strong ECHL cities in the mix like Ontario (LA), Stockton, Fort Wayne and Boise

I also believe if done right an AHL team in Omaha would be quite successful. I also think Houston should have a team.

With those cities in addition to the Heat, Wild, Wolves, Milwaukee Admirals, Rampage, Stars, Griffins, Ice Hogs and Barons they could even have a post expansion real western conference.
Ft Wayne use to be in the old ihl. Also Omaha failed miserably along with Houston
Old 04-11-2014, 11:00 AM   #9
Alberta_Beef
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PIMking View Post
Ft Wayne use to be in the old ihl. Also Omaha failed miserably along with Houston
Omaha drew about 3500 fans per game, that is not really failing miserably. Which is the best any Flames farm team has drawn since they started it up again.

And Houston did not fail in the slightest! They were forced out because the lease on the arena just got too expensive for the Wild so they moved the team to Iowa. The Aeros drew approximates 5600 fans per game over the last 10 years of their existence.
Alberta_Beef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 11:44 AM   #10
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Seattle or SLC is a good choice for the Pacific division.

And a good state to add a team in the central division would be Wisconsin. Has Blackhawks rivalry written all over it.
ForeverFlameFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 02:41 PM   #11
Athntk
Backup Goalie

Exp:

The AHL currently features 5 team divisions.

Everyone got a good laugh when I suggested Alaska as the future AHL partner for Calgary.

The AHL is going to stay capped at the number of NHL teams. If Seattle and Quebec get NHL expansion that could make things easier. But lets just talk about the existing teams.

Calgary owns an AHL franchise. They use the Partnership model with Abbotsford and currently have one of the best deals in all of professional sports. However this contract is soon to be expiring. I'm still supporting Anchorage as the "western" partner for Calgary.

Vancouver has a 6 year Partnership model deal with Utica. The Utica deal includes an escape clause for the Canucks and one could see Abbotsford being the likely prefered landing spot for this franchise.

San Jose controls the Partnership model with Worcester. I'm not sure how long they are in contract with Worcester but having control of the AHL franchise makes the west a possibility. Fresno would be a good landing spot for the team. Stockton is closer but something is fishy about Stockton and going into Fresno the Sharks would have a moderately fresh canvas to work with.

LA kings own AHL Manchester and ECHL Ontario. Swap them out. Help build a strong Northeast ECHL division in the process.

Edmonton owns their AHL OKC and ECHL Bako. Swap them out. OKC draws very poorly for the AHL and had better attendance at the lower levels.

Anaheim doesn't own an AHL franchise. San Diego would be a good landing spot for anything they can come up with.

Phoenix doesn't own an AHL franchise. Some news reports the new ownership is desperate to build the brand in Arizona and have been looking at Tucson as landing spot for an acquired AHL franchise.

Teams that control their own destiny and my destination.

Calgary - Anchorage, Alaska
Edmonton - Bakersfield, California
Vancouver - Abbotsford, BC
Los Angeles - Ontario, California
San Jose - Fresno, California

ECHL West
Boise, Idaho
Stockton, California
West Valley, Utah
Las Vegas, Nevada
Fort Collins, Colorado
Rapid City, South Dakota
Prescott Valley, Arizona
Sacramento, California
Athntk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 04:15 PM   #12
Goodlad
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Athntk View Post
San Jose controls the Partnership model with Worcester. I'm not sure how long they are in contract with Worcester but having control of the AHL franchise makes the west a possibility. Fresno would be a good landing spot for the team. Stockton is closer but something is fishy about Stockton and going into Fresno the Sharks would have a moderately fresh canvas to work with.

Calgary - Anchorage, Alaska
Edmonton - Bakersfield, California
Vancouver - Abbotsford, BC
Los Angeles - Ontario, California
San Jose - Fresno, California

ECHL West
Boise, Idaho
Stockton, California
West Valley, Utah
Las Vegas, Nevada
Fort Collins, Colorado
Rapid City, South Dakota
Prescott Valley, Arizona
Sacramento, California
I actually live in Fresno, CA. The Sharks previously had their ECHL affiliate in Fresno (Fresno Falcons), so there's already some history with the city. There have been rumblings here about an investment group being interested in acquiring the recently folded San Francisco Bulls of the ECHL. Obviously I would much rather see Fresno end up with an AHL team, so the possibility of a Pacific Division is very exciting.
Goodlad is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Goodlad For This Useful Post:
Old 04-11-2014, 04:41 PM   #13
PeteMoss
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Would have been fun if the ECHL affiliate was still Las Vegas. Called up from Vegas to Morman country.
PeteMoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 06:29 PM   #14
Athntk
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodlad View Post
I actually live in Fresno, CA. The Sharks previously had their ECHL affiliate in Fresno (Fresno Falcons), so there's already some history with the city. There have been rumblings here about an investment group being interested in acquiring the recently folded San Francisco Bulls of the ECHL. Obviously I would much rather see Fresno end up with an AHL team, so the possibility of a Pacific Division is very exciting.
There is a group negotiating with the city for Seland and the ECHL. Save Mart and the AHL would be a much more exciting opportunity for the area.
Old 04-12-2014, 10:58 AM   #15
Pierre "Monster" McGuire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteMoss View Post
Would have been fun if the ECHL affiliate was still Las Vegas. Called up from Vegas to Morman country.
It blows my mind that the Wranglers can pull in 4500 fans in the middle of the desert.

I believe the Wranglers signed a deal with some hotel to play games on the roof. That deal included completely renovating the parking lot on the roof to make it into a 5000+ seat rink.

That would probably hinder any chance of getting an AHL franchise there. Plus, is hookers, blow and gambling really the best place for our prospects to be developing?
Old 04-12-2014, 02:49 PM   #16
Athntk
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Wranglers are building and owning a 3,500 seat semi permanent arena on top of a parking garage in old downtown lv. They will have year round control and full revenue from the building. The side of the facility will give them a billboard that towers over downtown.

If this facility can work anywhere, it's las Vegas.
The Following User Says Thank You to Athntk For This Useful Post:
Old 04-12-2014, 02:52 PM   #17
Athntk
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Fun side note. I got a chance to see the original Orleans arena WCHL Vegas contract. In it the arena took all revenue, including chuck a puck.
Old 04-13-2014, 11:48 AM   #18
Athntk
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Plus, is hookers, blow and gambling really the best place for our prospects to be developing?
Was just rereading this thread. I bet I could get hookers, blow and gambling in Abbotsford. Thats kind of a universal thing.
Old 04-13-2014, 11:56 AM   #19
Pierre "Monster" McGuire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Athntk View Post
Was just rereading this thread. I bet I could get hookers, blow and gambling in Abbotsford. Thats kind of a universal thing.
Haha it was just a joke, but you're right.
Old 04-18-2014, 03:34 PM   #20
Gugstanley
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Flames did well in SLC once before and should come back. Direct flights to Calgary and every other city in the west.
Gugstanley is offline   Reply With Quote