Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 02-05-2013, 05:23 PM   #21
worth
Franchise Player

Exp:

Bumping this thread. Not sure about GL, but I have got my setup going and I absolutley love it.

I went over to my parents house and robber their old Sony PS-11:

I brought it home. It needed a good cleaning and a stylus. So I cleaned it up and bought a stylus on eBay for $10.

I was going to look into buying speakers and an amp, but then I had the idea that it should play on my old 1990's Pioneer shelf CD deck receiver on the AUX input.

Sure enough it worked. Sound was really quiet so I got a $30 pre amp and now the thing rocks.

So it cost me about $45 total so far to get the thing up and running. I plan on buying some real speakers soon and a real amp for it, but what I have going at the moment will suffice.

Playing full anal bum records is an experience that has been lost in the digital age. You want to pause the album...you can't. You want to fast forward or rewind, you can;t really do that either. it's something special for sure, and the sound is raw and special.
worth is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to worth For This Useful Post:
Old 02-06-2013, 07:50 PM   #22
sclitheroe
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by worth View Post
Playing full anal bum records is an experience that has been lost in the digital age.
Progress can be such a cruel mistress
Old 02-13-2013, 03:12 PM   #23
JeanLucPicard
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finny61 View Post
I've got two turntables and a microphone.
Don't know if you intended it to be, but thats a Trailer park Boys reference isn't it?

"i'll tell you what Ricky, know what I'm saying?; add in two turntables and a microphone and you got a deal B!"
JeanLucPicard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 04:01 PM   #24
worth
Franchise Player

Exp:

Did you happen to miss the 90's?
Old 02-13-2013, 04:01 PM   #25
Komskies
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by worth View Post
Bumping this thread. Not sure about GL, but I have got my setup going and I absolutley love it.

I went over to my parents house and robber their old Sony PS-11:

I brought it home. It needed a good cleaning and a stylus. So I cleaned it up and bought a stylus on eBay for $10.

I was going to look into buying speakers and an amp, but then I had the idea that it should play on my old 1990's Pioneer shelf CD deck receiver on the AUX input.

Sure enough it worked. Sound was really quiet so I got a $30 pre amp and now the thing rocks.

So it cost me about $45 total so far to get the thing up and running. I plan on buying some real speakers soon and a real amp for it, but what I have going at the moment will suffice.

Playing full anal bum records is an experience that has been lost in the digital age. You want to pause the album...you can't. You want to fast forward or rewind, you can;t really do that either. it's something special for sure, and the sound is raw and special.
I remember setting up my Dad's old Sony turntable in conjunction with his beastly set of wood-housed Baycrest speakers and pumping Led Zeppelin II. That sound it produced simply cannot be recreated in a digital format.
Komskies is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Komskies For This Useful Post:
Old 02-13-2013, 04:04 PM   #26
Komskies
Franchise Player

Exp:

For those wondering the anal bum covers was an SNL Celebrity Jeopardy reference. At least that's what I remember it from.
Komskies is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Komskies For This Useful Post:
Old 02-13-2013, 04:21 PM   #27
RedMileDJ
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Komskies View Post
For those wondering the anal bum covers was an SNL Celebrity Jeopardy reference. At least that's what I remember it from.
RedMileDJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 06:08 PM   #28
worth
Franchise Player

Exp:

So I picked up a set of vintage 1976 Realistic Optimus 5b floor speakers today. They need some work. You can see the stain on the right speaker. I plan on refinishing them at some point.

I really need a replacement for the pioneer deck i'm using as a stereo amplifier. Any suggestions? Sticking with the 1970's vintage theme would be nice.

Last edited by worth; 02-18-2013 at 06:11 PM.
Old 07-15-2013, 10:26 PM   #29
drew24
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Bump!
I decided I want to buy a turntable for a few months ago and I've finally finished my browsing for which turntable to get. On Tuesday (hopefully) I'll be ordering a Pro-Ject Carbon Debut. I'll also be ordering a Musical Fidelity V-LPS preamp. For speakers I'm still deciding on which active speakers to get. I'll be using this set up for now so I think the turntable, preamp and speakers are all I need.

Any other things I should look out for? Seems like most online retailers only ship the stuff I am looking for to the US. Any sites that ship to Canada that could have what I'm looking for? I know of 3 Pro-Ject retailers in the city. I'll call them all tomorrow and hopefully one has a turntable in stock.
drew24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 05:32 PM   #30
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

Bumping this thread. I am getting a turn table as a Christmas gift this year I have been informed, I need to give suggestions on which one I want.. going to start nice and simple for the first one. Here is my choice:

http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/produ...4b3152c958en02

Any objections or suggestions? First album I am getting is Neil Young Live at Massey Hall.
Old 11-03-2013, 06:16 PM   #31
drew24
Scoring Winger

Exp:

The Pro-ject Debut Carbon and Music Hall MMF 2.2 came up a lot in my research as good beginner turntables. They are a bit more expensive though than the one you posted though. I bought the Debut Carbon and really like it.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to drew24 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-03-2013, 06:35 PM   #32
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

I second the Pro-ject and Music Hall recommendation. I have the Music Hall MMF 5.1 and love it. Yeah, it's expensive and you'll probably be happy with something more reasonably priced, but please stay away from USB. It's pointless.
DownInFlames is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DownInFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 11-04-2013, 12:13 AM   #33
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Dual makes good turntables.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dual-Turntab...item2584ce6025
Old 11-04-2013, 12:52 PM   #34
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

Those are all great options but a bit over the price range I am looking for... I understand the purists will scoff at me but in all fairness I asked for advice so I will gladly take the scoffing.

I just want to get my foot in the door..
Old 11-04-2013, 01:42 PM   #35
drew24
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern View Post
Those are all great options but a bit over the price range I am looking for... I understand the purists will scoff at me but in all fairness I asked for advice so I will gladly take the scoffing.

I just want to get my foot in the door..
If it's price you care about... Personally I'd go used and then get a buy a new cartridge.

If it's the USB function you care about just keep in mind that most new vinyl comes with a download code. Also I'm under the impression that you can digitize all your albums using any regular turntable and Audacity software (free). Not sure how expensive or difficult that is though.

Last edited by drew24; 11-04-2013 at 06:01 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to drew24 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-02-2013, 09:23 AM   #36
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

Scavenging the cyber monday deals for a turntable... I went to kijiji just to peak and I came across this guy:
Technics turn table SL220

Model SL220
Month old red shure cartridge (worth $75)
Everything works
Asking $150

http://saskatoon.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and...AdIdZ533963749

What do the purists think about buying used? Same as any product I guess, taking a gamble..

And this one:

Audio-Technica Turntable (AT-LP60-USB)

$150 (save $80)

http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/...4948196d58en02
Old 12-02-2013, 01:26 PM   #37
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Nothing wrong with buying used. Shure makes decent cartridges so that could be a good deal.

Axe music has that Audio-Technica deck for cheaper:

http://www.axemusic.com/store/produc...re-Mac-and-PC/
DownInFlames is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DownInFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 12-02-2013, 02:05 PM   #38
Trolleydodger
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Stay away from the LP-60. It's a poor table. If you want an Audio Technica try and find an LP-120. It is basically a Technics 1200 clone.

If you buy used you should almost certainly swap out the cartridge, and make sure that it has an tonearm with an adjustable counterweight and anti skating.

Don't even look at anything that is made by Crosley, Ion or Pyle. They all make steaming piles of crap.
Trolleydodger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Trolleydodger For This Useful Post:
Old 12-03-2013, 08:53 AM   #39
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

I get confused by this USB thing.. it will still play records through the phono hook up on my pre amp? But if I want I can transfer these vinyl to CD or play it through my computer?

Doesn't that defeat the purpose? Just because it lists USB doesn't mean it is USB only right?

Also thanks again for the help guys.. I got my speakers, got my pre amp my cords, just need the turn table now :P
Old 12-03-2013, 09:19 AM   #40
YYC in LAX
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trolleydodger View Post
Stay away from the LP-60. It's a poor table. If you want an Audio Technica try and find an LP-120. It is basically a Technics 1200 clone.

If you buy used you should almost certainly swap out the cartridge, and make sure that it has an tonearm with an adjustable counterweight and anti skating.

Don't even look at anything that is made by Crosley, Ion or Pyle. They all make steaming piles of crap.
I have both versions and think they are both great. I have the 120 at home and the 60 at my vacation home. Consensus seems to be direct drive is better than belt drive but it also depends how often you use it. Belts can eventually wear out but so far I've had no problems. There are people out there who actually think belt drive is better than direct drive which is interesting.

For the record, I do really love the 60. It does what it's supposed to do and is a great looking turntable. I've had no issues after many hours of listening.

And to answer GL's USB question...I bought these models because of the USB functions but have yet to use them. They certainly don't require a USB to work. Built in pre-amp so you can run directly into speakers if you wish. Of course an amp can be used though and preferred by most.

I was going to experiment with the USB converter and try to rip a big band Christmas album I was given onto my laptop and the iPhone.

YYC in LAX is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to YYC in LAX For This Useful Post: