Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-21-2012, 03:36 PM   #21
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't think the brackets around the area code are appropriate anymore because you always have to dial them I prefer

403-230-9294
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 04:40 PM   #22
Titan
First Line Centre

Exp:

I like the periods so I can type the phone number on the number pad of my keyboard without moving it off. Very quick and lazy.
Titan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 04:53 PM   #23
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
This is bad, too. Keep your formatting consistent.
This is how a 700 employee oil & gas company does it lol. I mentioned this as well but nobody cared. It's also pretty lame in how they implemented it. They chose "M" for "main line" (reception). Everybody thinks M is for mobile and calls reception when they are trying to reach someone by cell phone.

Last edited by Hack&Lube; 09-21-2012 at 06:07 PM.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 04:56 PM   #24
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

HR told us to enforce the standardized signatures, we manually added 700 employees and within one week, half of them complained.

Things to watch out for: Users will always want to make changes to their signatures. You must find a way to find a balance between that and what you enforce. Don't allow silly things like pictures or quotes, etc. but for business purposes some people legitimately require customization - ie: some require professional designations listed behind their names as a legal requirement for doing their job. Some will want office numbers, some will want mobile numbers, some will want faxes, and all of the above.

This makes it a very not-straightforward task if you are relying on something that for instance...pulls signature elements straight from Active Directory.

Last edited by Hack&Lube; 09-21-2012 at 06:07 PM.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hack&Lube For This Useful Post:
Old 09-22-2012, 10:10 AM   #25
Finner
Scoring Winger

Exp:

My company standardized is:

John Smith | Regional Manager | ABC Company
123 Fake Street, Calgary AB
T: 403 123 4567 | F: 403 987 654
Finner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 08:40 PM   #26
Clarkey
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Don't put your email address in the signature, why do I need your email address in a signature from and email I just received from you?

Don't put the fax number, I have needed to fax someone maybe 2 times in the last 10 years.

Don't put preach morality in your email signature, "please consider the environment before printing this email," automatically brands you as a moron.

Don't put a biblical/motivational quote in your signature. Again, you look like a moron.
Clarkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 08:45 PM   #27
Otto-matic
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarkey View Post
Don't put your email address in the signature, why do I need your email address in a signature from and email I just received from you?

Don't put the fax number, I have needed to fax someone maybe 2 times in the last 10 years.

Don't put preach morality in your email signature, "please consider the environment before printing this email," automatically brands you as a moron.

Don't put a biblical/motivational quote in your signature. Again, you look like a moron.
So my work enforces 3 out of the 4 things you listed, I agree with all your points.
Otto-matic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 10:47 AM   #28
calculoso
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just please don't use periods in lieu of spaces, brackets or hyphens.

Good:
(403) 230-9294

Extremely lame and I instantly think you're a buffoon:
The brackets only works if you're not an international business. It means nothing to someone from Europe, as an example.
calculoso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 12:16 PM   #29
Ducay
Franchise Player

Exp:

No comic sans, no care
Older ladies love to use this font, that, or the "handwriting" fonts. Totally unprofessional and likely is what you're dealing with now

Please think of the environment before you print this email, because, obviously, I know whenever I get an email, I automatically print it out so I can read it. Who in the history of ever has printed an email they didn't need to?
Ducay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 12:59 PM   #30
MarchHare
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've been lobbying for years for all corporate IT departments to run a login script that automatically removes Comic Sans. So far my complaint has fallen on deaf ears. Nothing grinds my gears quite like seeing Comic Sans used in a professional environment.
MarchHare is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 01:05 PM   #31
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:

I'm not sure what industry you are in but most corporate sigs are just that, corporate, as in not every employee gets to design their signature themselves because there is a corporate sig. I don't know what kind of people you deal with but putting motivational quotes in your sig? Are you emailing junior high school girls?

As for the fax machine thing, good for you? I doubt the whole world is going to stop using things just because you don't use them.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 01:05 PM   #32
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

my only thought is to ensure that the font style and size of the e-mail signature as well as the style of phone numbers i.e. (403.123.456 v 403-123-456 v 403 123 456 etc) all align with each other.

You could also include a small logo as well.

My other thought is ensure the font style in your e-mmail also includes your corproate font, if you have one.

sometimes when e-mail travels thru cyberspace the signature falls away or turns into a jpg attachement.
Old 09-27-2012, 04:27 PM   #33
GP_Matt
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
I disagree with this one a bit. Once your email is forwarded to a third person the address is lost.

Ours is perhaps a bit much though so now you guys have me thinking about changing it to reduce the size.

Name, Acronyms denoting power
Job Title, Location

Company name
Address
Tel (780)
Cell (780)
Fax (780)
Company website

On looking at mine I see that I don't have an email address on there. I will probable cut off the address and website information as well as the fax number.
GP_Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GP_Matt For This Useful Post:
Old 09-29-2012, 08:50 AM   #34
Clarkey
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
I'm not sure what industry you are in but most corporate sigs are just that, corporate, as in not every employee gets to design their signature themselves because there is a corporate sig. I don't know what kind of people you deal with but putting motivational quotes in your sig? Are you emailing junior high school girls?

As for the fax machine thing, good for you? I doubt the whole world is going to stop using things just because you don't use them.
Large cap energy company.

If you're putting your fax number you might as well add your SIN#, Costco Card #, GPS coordinates, Motorolla Pager #...
Old 09-29-2012, 08:52 AM   #35
AR_Six
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTrain View Post
I would suggest going strictly with font and a colour. Pick a web safe font so everyone sees the same thing. Something like:

-------

YOUR NAME
Vice President, Logistics
Acme Pencil Company

C: 1 (403) 234-5678
F: 1 (403) 234-8901
yourname@acmepencilco.com
This is how we do it, too.
AR_Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 02:17 PM   #36
Mike F
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

If you're putting your fax number you might as well add your SIN#, Costco Card #, GPS coordinates, Motorolla Pager #...
How does adding a fax number (my industry still sends and receives faxes regularly) equate to giving out personal information like your SIN?
Mike F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 08:59 PM   #37
sclitheroe
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

My contribution: A signature should not include any kind of marketing blurb or company slogan. Nearly every week I have to tweak the anti-spam filters because some external company's slogan or message du jour embedded in the signatures twigs the filters as spam.
Old 10-08-2012, 08:39 PM   #38
Clarkey
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike F View Post
How does adding a fax number (my industry still sends and receives faxes regularly) equate to giving out personal information like your SIN?
Mike it was meant to be taken 100% literal, please put your favorite color, N-Sinc singer and horoscope sign as well.
Old 10-08-2012, 09:24 PM   #39
NSFL
Random Title Change!

Exp:

Quote:

I disagree. Even though I would never bother with sending a fax, there are many people that still do and having it in my sig means one less question I have to answer.

I know faxes come in max once a week, more likely once a month, leaving it in your sig requires absolutely no energy.

Edit: Actually, faxes probably happen once every 3 months. But they still happen.

NSFL=Not So Funny Lady. But I will also accept Not Safe For Life and Not Sober For Long.

You know you wanna read about nail polish:

http://polish-holic.blogspot.com/
NSFL is offline   Reply With Quote