Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum

Old 06-16-2017, 07:35 AM   #121
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Both McKenzie and Friedman are saying the Wild were very much involved in the Drouin talks with TB. Likely offering Brodin or Dumba, but Yzerman choose Montreal's offer because Sergachev doesn't need a protection slot.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 08:42 AM   #122
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
It's not an obsession, it's a commitment to a certain culture. A lot of teams have this to a varying degree (including Calgary, who you could say had/have an unhealthy obsession with drafting western Canadian boys, and it's always mentioned when we sign someone from western Canada as if it somehow matters).

A big part of it is the media and fan base, as French Canadians sell really well in that market. Being bilingual is great for media relations. In the end I think it's great for a team to commit to a certain culture and they rarely seem to do it at the cost of team quality. Being French Canadian is an added bonus there, not a requirement.
Exactly this, but it is way more important here than elsewhere. It's tied to the historical evolution of the province.
As part of game stats, francophone newspapers regularly list how many Quebecois players are in the lineup. And they don't necessarily count ones who were born in and played all their hockey in predominantly english municipalities in Montreal.
EldrickOnIce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 08:46 AM   #123
DJones
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EldrickOnIce View Post
And they don't necessarily count ones who were born in and played all their hockey in predominantly english municipalities in Montreal.
That's ruthless haha
DJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 09:36 AM   #124
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
It's not an obsession, it's a commitment to a certain culture. A lot of teams have this to a varying degree (including Calgary, who you could say had/have an unhealthy obsession with drafting western Canadian boys, and it's always mentioned when we sign someone from western Canada as if it somehow matters).

A big part of it is the media and fan base, as French Canadians sell really well in that market. Being bilingual is great for media relations. In the end I think it's great for a team to commit to a certain culture and they rarely seem to do it at the cost of team quality. Being French Canadian is an added bonus there, not a requirement.
In fairness however, is that the western Canadian bias for Calgary started under Darryl Sutter as a means to ensure that the players he had actually wanted to be here, rather than ask for trades or bolt the first chance they could. At that time, I would say he was right for creating that preference for the Flames. Chris Drury comes to mind after all. I do think that is behind the Flames now

However, in Montreal, I am not sure that the rationale is the same. It is much more a cultural thing there, as I would assume that most players would prefer playing for an original six team with an incredible history. Not all of course, as playing in Canada - and especially in Montreal/Toronto - has its' drawbacks of course, but Montreal shouldn't have the same issue as Calgary did back in the 90's and into the early 2000's. It is their media and culture that practically forces the team to search out francophone players/coaches/GMs.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 12:21 PM   #125
CSharp
Franchise Player

Exp:

Damn, couldn't the Flames unload Bennett for Drouin? Guess the Lightnings would've asked for Tkachuk instead.
CSharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 12:24 PM   #126
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSharp View Post
Damn, couldn't the Flames unload Bennett for Drouin? Guess the Lightnings would've asked for Tkachuk instead.
I imagine Yzerman would have been doing cartwheels had the Flames come to him with an offer of Bennett for Druin.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 06-16-2017, 12:57 PM   #127
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSharp View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
I imagine Yzerman would have been doing cartwheels had the Flames come to him with an offer of Bennett for Druin.
Trading Drouin for a forward that needs protection wouldn't have helped TB's protection problems at all. Drouin for Sergachev accomplishes a lot more for them in terms of helping them protect an extra forward.
Flames Draft Watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 02:00 PM   #128
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

there's no percentage in a drouin for bennett swap.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote