Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 08-01-2010, 12:17 PM   #1
OilKiller
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:
Default RIM Said to Plan Tablet for November to Take on Apple's IPad

Research In Motion Ltd., maker of the BlackBerry smartphone, plans to introduce a tablet computer in November to compete with Apple Inc.’s iPad, according to two people familiar with the company’s plans.

The device will have roughly the same dimensions as the iPad, which has a 9.7-inch diagonal screen, said the two people who wouldn’t be identified because the plans haven’t been made public. The device will include Wi-Fi and Bluetooth wireless technology that will allow people to connect to the Internet through their BlackBerry smartphones, the two people said.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2010-0...le-s-ipad.html
OilKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 01:56 PM   #2
MRCboicgy
Referee

Exp:

I'd totally buy one of it has a pen input. Don't get me wrong, I love touch, but if i need to scribble a ton of notes as i walk, finger doesn't do it for me. It's not like a SmartBoard where you generally write few things with your finger, in large strokes
MRCboicgy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 08:40 PM   #3
Flames0910
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRCboicgy View Post
I'd totally buy one of it has a pen input. Don't get me wrong, I love touch, but if i need to scribble a ton of notes as i walk, finger doesn't do it for me. It's not like a SmartBoard where you generally write few things with your finger, in large strokes
Could totally see RIM going this route so they're not going head to head. Just like physical keyboards vs touchscreens.

I like how they're removing 3G and adding easy tethering instead. Makes sense if you're business traveling and staying in hotels.
Flames0910 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 03:31 PM   #4
temple5
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

The only credible source for this rumor is that rim purchased the "blackpad" domain name.
temple5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 04:12 PM   #5
alltherage
Missed the bus

Exp:

If you're like me you want to see what this looks like. Here's an unofficial mockup from intomobile.com

alltherage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 05:05 PM   #6
sclitheroe
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames0910 View Post
I like how they're removing 3G and adding easy tethering instead. Makes sense if you're business traveling and staying in hotels.
This seems like a huge mistake for the following reasons:
1. Surfing on the Blackpad in a 3G area will drain both my pad battery and my phone battery
2. I now have two devices to recharge - am I going to have to haul around two chargers, or will I daisy chain them to one charger? Either way, I need at least two cables now
3. Can I tether and make a call at the same time? Not all networks will support this, in the US at least
4. What happens when I move out of tether range. Let's say I have IM or Skype on my Blackpad, tethered to my phone, and I move to another room or floor in an office with my phone, just out of range - will I drop messages on my IM client as a result?

Palm tried this with the Folio, and it wasn't tenable. Similarly, you don't see MiFi's setting the world on fire either.

Plan sharing between devices is the way to go, I think. The cost of the 3G radio, at purchase time, is only like $130 on an iPad, which amortized over the life of the device is almost negligible.
Old 08-03-2010, 05:11 PM   #7
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRCboicgy View Post
You can use a faux stylus on the iPad.

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-19512_7-10443415-233.html
Acey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 05:56 PM   #8
Flames0910
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by alltherage View Post
If you're like me you want to see what this looks like. Here's an unofficial mockup from intomobile.com

I'm less than impressed by this...
Flames0910 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 07:06 PM   #9
Devils'Advocate
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acey View Post
You can use a faux stylus on the iPad.

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-19512_7-10443415-233.html
I have one of those, and as you can see, the tip is not very fine. You might as well be writing your friend a note with a crayon.
Devils'Advocate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 07:08 PM   #10
Ducay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames0910 View Post
I'm less than impressed by this...
Well no sh1t, they used a monster 1" bezel and just zoomed a OS6 screen. I mean look how much real estate their mockup is giving to the clock/status bar (1/3 of the screen)
Ducay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 07:35 PM   #11
Torture
Loves Teh Chat!

Exp:

"unofficial mockup"

We really have no idea what it's going to look like, I think we're going to have to be a little patient.
Torture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 08:01 PM   #12
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

The more players in the tablet market the better.