Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 04-28-2013, 08:10 PM   #41
Mass_nerder
Franchise Player

Exp:

I love Olive Grove. Spiros is excellent (from what I remember), but that's not really a "chain".
I work part-time at BP's, and while I don't mind the pizza, it's laughably over-priced.

Last edited by Mass_nerder; 04-28-2013 at 08:16 PM.
Old 04-28-2013, 09:25 PM   #42
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

I love Domino's. And it's only two blocks down from me. If you want to talk about ####ty pizza Fresh Slice gets my vote.
Old 04-29-2013, 02:50 AM   #43
Daradon
Has lived the dream!

Exp:

There used to be a small chain in Calgary called A Perfect Pizza. They were really good. But I think they're gone now, or down to just a few locations more in the center of the city.

But you may find some of these smaller type family chains.

I usually order from Panago if it's chain. Papa Johns is my cheap goto.

Also give a nod to BP's, forgot about that. But it is very pricey.
Old 04-29-2013, 06:38 AM   #44
SeeBass
First Line Centre

Exp:

I mostly use the last Gondola Pizza place left.

The most fustrating thing for me is the consistancy at independants. Nothing like ordering from a place 5 times and the pizza is different every single time.

This is the only good thing about franchise pizza.
Old 04-29-2013, 08:59 AM   #45
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

Tom's House of Pizza has a good crust, but I find it to be over rated and over priced. Barely any cheese, and often the toppings are plentiful to the point of overkill. They are also up there with BP's in terms of price once you factor in that you're getting very thin, very un-filling pizzas. Finally, their menu is the most needlessly complicated I've ever seen.

Western Pizza as mentioned already is a strong bet. They're my go-to for standard chain pizza. For traditional Neapolitan style I'd say that Without Papers is the best I've had.
Old 04-29-2013, 09:06 AM   #46
Maccalus
Scoring Winger

Exp:

For the small "chains" I like Sammy's. They have 2 locations in the south and are great, filling pizza. A little up there in pricing, but worth it for the quality of pizza. The only downside is the 1.5 - 2 hr. waits on busy nights.
The Following User Says Thank You to Maccalus For This Useful Post:
Old 04-29-2013, 09:20 AM   #47
Finner
Scoring Winger

Exp:

When I lived in Calgary I loved 2 for 1 Pizza on Bow Trail.
Old 04-29-2013, 09:24 AM   #48
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Nothing beats a piece of CPU after a night out on the town if you only have a couple of bucks in your pocket. Their pizzas are also really cheap to build and order. If I can't think of a place to order from, it's usually CPU or Panago (just for the dipping sauces).

However, I will take Famoso or Una 10/10 times a week.
Old 04-29-2013, 09:39 AM   #49
Komskies
Franchise Player

Exp:

Papa Johns is our favorite for chain pizza. Maybe it's because it's just down the street so we like it for pickup, or maybe it's because that particular location has good employees, but it's good every time we get it. Plus you can get 2 larges for $31.49.

That said, nothing beats a good homemade pan pizza. If you plan ahead and make your dough a few days in advance, it has some time to build up some really good flavor.

This particular one was a sourdough crust, topped with chorizo, butternut squash, smoked cheddar, and fontina.

And for the thin crust lovers. Ya it isn't round, but shape doesn't affect taste!
Mozza, white cheddar, fennel sausage, and basil.

Old 04-29-2013, 09:58 AM   #50
Nyah
First Line Centre

Exp:

I don't really mind Pizza 73. Then again, I only ever get pepperoni & cheese pizza's when ordering from a chain. Domino's is disgusting, and I haven't ordered from them since I found a fingernail in my pizza 15+ years ago in Airdrie. Overall though I find Panago the best for ordering in, and living in McKenzie Towne, Famoso Pizzeria is my absolute favourite for dining out.
Old 04-29-2013, 10:20 AM   #51
calumniate
Franchise Player

Exp:

Famoso pizza is a small chain. They stick to what works.. I like it! Not really a takeout place though
Old 04-29-2013, 11:10 AM   #52
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

with famoso I understand that the Neapolitan rules specify they have to cook the pies for exactly 90 seconds or whatever, which is alright if you're eating in. for me though, doing take home and an extra 5 minutes broiling on a pizza stone gives the crust the crunch that I actually want. sometimes depending on the type/amount of sauce and toppings, a default famoso can get pretty soggy, especially in the middle.

I think other places that are Neapolitan inspired but don't follow the guidelines so strictly do this already, as I've never had a wet pie at cibo, una, without papers, double zero, etc.

oh and unless I found a toenail in a pizza, I don't think I could ever be so disgusted with one that I wouldn't eat it. not once in my life have I ever thought to myself "blah, this tastes like a hot circle of garbage, I refuse to have another bite"...instead the only thing going through my mind is "YAY PIZZA!!!"
Old 04-29-2013, 12:43 PM   #53
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Komskies View Post
This particular one was a sourdough crust, topped with chorizo, butternut squash, smoked cheddar, and fontina.

Mozza, white cheddar, fennel sausage, and basil.
what the......pepperoni and mushroom not good enough for ya?
Old 04-29-2013, 12:49 PM   #54
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
Verns pizza, a small chain, from Saskachewan. They have four or five locations if one is close to they are the best.

If you want lots of meat and toppings the original is good if you one a normal(still more than all the chains) their two for one light pizzas are great.
Verns is terrible Pizza. They stack on piles of the cheapest processed meat and the whole thing cooks to a soggy mess of inferior processed crap.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 04-29-2013, 12:52 PM   #55
Bobblehead
Franchise Player

Exp:

I find that at a lot of place the staff makes the most difference. I've had some really good and really bad from the same store (independent or chain) and it must come down to the staff since the oven and ingredients should be the same.

I'm not really sure why there can be such a variance within the same location, but I have noticed it.
—Daniel J. Boorstin, historian, former Librarian of Congress
"But the Senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity"
—WKRP in Cincinatti
The Following User Says Thank You to Bobblehead For This Useful Post:
Old 04-29-2013, 12:53 PM   #56
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Between this thread, and the Peter's thread, the 1% of CP sure has some pretty high fast food standards.
Old 04-29-2013, 12:54 PM   #57
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flameswin View Post
I think that's a canadian thing. If you check out flyers for the US pizza chains, pizza seems to be dirt cheap down there. For example, Pizza Hut in the US always has that "Any pizza for $10" deal. They had it for like 2 years.

Meanwhile in Canada, I order a large peperoni lovers with extra cheese............."and your total is $23.85". That's for pick up, btw. Just ridiculous.
Pizza Hut in the US is not bad but IMO they should just call it quits and fold in Canada as they skimp on topings to the point where it's blatant stealing to charge what they are charging.
Old 04-29-2013, 12:55 PM   #58
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rathji View Post
Between this thread, and the Peter's thread, the 1% of CP sure has some pretty high fast food standards.
Contrary you can say only 1% of CP has very low fast food standards. If you think Peters qualifies as even passable fast food you simply don't like even moderately good food.
Old 04-29-2013, 01:00 PM   #59
Komskies
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post
what the......pepperoni and mushroom not good enough for ya?
Haha yes, I use pepperoni and mushroom too. I like mushrooms in my BBQ chicken pizzas. It's fun to try new toppings too though. Once you've had roast butternut squash on a pizza you'll never look back.
Old 04-29-2013, 01:34 PM   #60
onetwo_threefour
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Famoso for eat-in

Pap-John's for Take-out...
Closed Thread

Tags
chains , dominos , eww gross , pizza