Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 09-10-2010, 09:34 AM   #21
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
Casting call

Looking for a rugged actor who can pull off a mystical battered obsessed cowboy look. Must be proficient in the use of antique revolvers and be missing several fingers.

Also looking for a legless blackwoman, must be able to play multiple personalities.

We also require a young white male actor between the age of 11 and 14, must be able to catch a bus with his teeth.
Also:

-A Red Panda that can imitate human words. (I've always picture Oy like that)
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 09:55 AM   #22
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I always pictured Oy as a duck billed platypus mself.

Or a badger lookin thing with orange hair.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 10:03 AM   #23
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I still consider the opening line to the first book to be one of the classical opening book lines

''The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed.''

of course the best is still

It was the best of times, it was the worst of times, it was the age of wisdom, it was the age of foolishness, it was the epoch of belief, it was the epoch of incredulity, it was the season of Light, it was the season of Darkness, it was the spring of hope, it was the winter of despair, we had everything before us, we had nothing before us, we were all going direct to Heaven, we were all going direct the other way - in short, the period was so far like the present period, that some of its noisiest authorities insisted on its being received, for good or for evil, in the superlative degree of comparison only.

Or the snoopy opening

It was a dark and stormy night. Suddenly, a shot rang out! A door slammed. The maid screamed. Suddenly, a pirate ship appeared on the horizon! While millions of people were starving, the king lived in luxury. Meanwhile, on a small farm in Kansas, a boy was growing up. Part 2: A light snow was falling, and the little girl with the tattered shawl had not sold a violet all day. At that very moment, a young intern at City Hospital was making an important discovery.

Old 01-27-2011, 12:26 PM   #24
Jimdon
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Director Ron Howard wants Javier Bardem to play troubled hero Roland Deschain in his adaptation of Stephen King’s The Dark Tower. Imagine Entertainment confirms the news first reported by Deadline that the No Country For Old Men star has been offered the lead role in the horror-fantasy-western adaptation, which is currently planned as a big-screen trilogy along with a TV series. (Busy week for Bardem — first he was nominated for an Oscar, then his beautiful wife gave birth to a genetically perfect child, and now this.) The Dark Tower series comprises seven books and forms the connective material between much of King’s work, so there has been much anticipation for the film/TV series. (Early rumors had indicated that fan favorite Viggo Mortensen was also in the running.) The first Dark Tower film is currently scheduled for summer 2013.
Jimdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 12:54 PM   #25
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

To me Roland is really a young clint eastwood, of course without some fingers.

If I was casting roles.

Roland - Timothy Oliphant
Susannah Dean - That voodoo chick from Pirates of the Carribean
Jake Chambers - I have no idea
Eddie Dean - Edward Furlong, or even Gordon Leavitt
Randall Flagg - Adam Baldwin

Old 01-27-2011, 01:11 PM   #26
Pacem
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I was hoping they'd never makek this book into a movie. In my mind there is no way they could pull it off.

Easily my favourite books of all time. I'm in the process of collecting first editions of each book. Dont' have Wizard and Glass but there are alot out there so i'll get it eventually. I'm also mising the 1st one, of course. I think I will have to settle for the 2nd edition that I purchased for that book, same cover and what not but just not a first. Really hard to justify spending $1000 or more on a book.
Pacem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 08:35 PM   #27
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

http://www.totalfilm.com/news/javier...b+aggregate%29
Quote:
Javier Bardem has officially signed on to star as Roland Deschain in Ron Howard and Brian Grazer's adaptation of Stephen King’s The Dark Tower, surprising literally nobody.

Read more: Javier Bardem officially signs on to The Dark Tower | TotalFilm.com
MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MrMastodonFarm For This Useful Post:
Old 04-27-2011, 08:47 PM   #28
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

I don't like this casting.

I still haven't moved onto the 4th book in the series. King kind of banged out the last couple of books when he was worried about dying a few years ago. Don't need any spoilers but did you guys enjoy the last half of the saga? Should I go read it?
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 08:50 PM   #29
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post

I still haven't moved onto the 4th book in the series. King kind of banged out the last couple of books when he was worried about dying a few years ago. Don't need any spoilers but did you guys enjoy the last half of the saga? Should I go read it?
The ending imo was...
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 08:52 PM   #30
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think you should finish the series, I was kind of let down by the ending but was still very happy to read it right to the end.
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 09:18 PM   #31
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:

Ug thats not how I saw him at all.

Old 04-27-2011, 09:32 PM   #32
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
Ug thats not how I saw him at all.
I'm not familiar at all with the Dark Tower, I mean, I know about it, but I haven't read it... I just saw the news, and wanted to post it here for the fine folks at CP.

That being said... I hate playing the "this actor looks wrong for the role" thing. I've done it before, and it's stupid. A really good actor, and Barden is, can become the role, and shouldn't be judged from a funny picture from No Country for Old men.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MrMastodonFarm For This Useful Post:
Old 04-27-2011, 09:33 PM   #33
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames0910 View Post
Mixed feelings on this...

A Beautiful Mind - good.

Da Vinci Code? bleh.

Really wish it was J.J. Abrams and Lindeloff
Ron Howard as done a hell of a lot of better things then JJ Abrams and Lindeloff.
Old 04-27-2011, 09:38 PM   #34
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

Never read these books, any comparisons to Martins ASOFAI?
Old 04-27-2011, 09:45 PM   #35
TSXCman
First Line Centre

Exp:

I really enjoyed Marvell comics Dark Tower comic/illustrated books that they made, extremely entertaining visually.

King's writing puts me to sleep though, have never been able to complete a single book before. I just get tired of the easy reading and find myself forced to quit. Personal preference of writing style though and I am aware that I am in the minority.

From what I could get of the story from the comics, the first couple chapters of the book, and from family talking about it, I think a movie or tv show would be very exciting.
TSXCman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 09:48 PM   #36
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSXCman View Post
I really enjoyed Marvell comics Dark Tower comic/illustrated books that they made, extremely entertaining visually.

King's writing puts me to sleep though, have never been able to complete a single book before. I just get tired of the easy reading and find myself forced to quit. Personal preference of writing style though and I am aware that I am in the minority.

From what I could get of the story from the comics, the first couple chapters of the book, and from family talking about it, I think a movie or tv show would be very exciting.
I like his writing style, but the guys never been able to pull off a good ending.

He ruined IT which was an amazing concept with a really lame ending.

He ruined The Stand with the whole hand of god thing, which was too bad because the stand was one of my favorite books growing up.

He positively stunk out the joint with the ending on Needfull things.

In fact its funny, because he's a far better short story writer then he is a novelist especially with stories like Getting it on and the Long Walk under the Bachman name.

Old 04-27-2011, 09:49 PM   #37
MickMcGeough
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

Wizard & Glass (the 4th book) might be the best in the series after the first one.

I won't say I enjoyed the last 3 as much as the first 4, but you should absolutely finish the series.

MickMcGeough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 09:51 PM   #38
MickMcGeough
First Line Centre

Exp:

Also, count me as cautiously optimistic about Javier Bardem as Roland. Not perfect, but it could have been a lot worse.

MickMcGeough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 10:04 PM   #39
Ark2
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSXCman View Post

Try reading Cormac McCarthy if you want a more difficult author. The guy is a great writer but holy hell is his stuff hard to read.
Ark2 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ark2 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-27-2011, 10:48 PM   #40
TSXCman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ark2 View Post
Try reading Cormac McCarthy if you want a more difficult author. The guy is a great writer but holy hell is his stuff hard to read.
I'm not seeking a level of difficulty, but I find that King just shakes me off very quickly.

I've enjoyed biographies, science fiction, very entertained earlier by Peirs Anthony for his crazy world, and Terry Goodkind is a favorite for the sword of truth series (minus the last couple books).

King, Clancy, and other airport novels just give the sense of a rushed product.

But I do like King's movies. Growing up, my family and I stayed up waiting for that 5 part The Stand showing on TV and was very drawn into it, but I did not enjoy the books still.

So i think he has good stories but I do not want to read them to enjoy them.
TSXCman is offline   Reply With Quote