Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 06-11-2017, 07:02 PM   #21
OzSome
Franchise Player

Exp:

Okay I spoke too soon again. Mitchell Gale just fumbled the ball. He looks undecided there. Time for QB change.
OzSome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 07:17 PM   #22
OzSome
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ricky Stanzi threw a touchdown to Kohlert. He looks more poised than Gale. It is like night and day.
Old 06-11-2017, 07:22 PM   #23
Redrum
First Line Centre

Exp:

Was a little worried about the backup situation watching Gale. He was pretty bad. Even though it's one possession Stanzi looked great so I'm little relieved.
Redrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 07:50 PM   #24
OzSome
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wow, where are the secondary on Zach Kline's first pass for a TD. Eskies receiver Williams was all alone. Stamps fell asleep on that play.
Old 06-11-2017, 07:53 PM   #25
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

I hope this is the last time we see the black helmets with the Red unis. Terrible.
Old 06-11-2017, 07:53 PM   #26
OzSome
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redrum View Post
Was a little worried about the backup situation watching Gale. He was pretty bad. Even though it's one possession Stanzi looked great so I'm little relieved.
I wouldn't be surprise to see Stampeders release Mitchell Gale next week. He was awful and both Buckley and Stanzi outplayed him. We all know Buckley is going to be the backup so basically Gale was just fighting Stanzi for a 3rd stringer job.
Old 06-11-2017, 09:49 PM   #27
OzSome
Franchise Player

Exp:

That was an exciting finish in a bad way. Stamps still won 36-35 though.

GOOD:
- QB Andrew Buckley and Ricky Stanzi looks good and poised. Bo Levi looks ready.
- RECEIVER: Juwan Brescacin, Lynch, Nixon(good and bad)
- RB: Terry Williams-showed explosiveness. Messam looks like regular season-ready. Green didn't get much touch so hard to gauge his performance.
- OL: Not very noticeable which is good I guess.
- DL: i thought they played except when Franklin was in the game.
- LB: Overall i thought they did well and not give up a lot of rushing yardage.
- DB: Veterans were good but not so sure about the players fighting for the spot.
- ST: Did very well.

BAD:
- QB: Mitchell Gale. Slow and undecided. His throwing was mostly flat and not on target except for a couple of good passes. He played like this is first CFL game in his career. I expect him gone next week.
- R: Way too many drop passes. Both Daniels and Jordan dropped an easy throw by Bo. Jamal Nixon dropped one but I don't think I can blame him 100% on that play. Gale threw that ball behind.
- DB: Odiasse was terrible but he prevented a TD on Eskimos last play. Joel Ross had a terrible night.
- INJURY: DL Cordarro Law going down early in the game. Not sure how serious though.

As i mentioned earlier I got a feeling Gale will be cut. None of the newcomers in DB showed they can unseat some of the veterans. I think DB Joel Ross lost his battle for DB position. AJ Cruz might not make it. It was not because he is bad, it's just that other returner played much better than him. I am hoping they put him on practice roster but might not have a room. National Receivers spot might be the interesting part during cut time. Lynch, Sindali and Kohlert all earn the spot. Durant, Parker and Brescacin are a shoo-in.
The Following User Says Thank You to OzSome For This Useful Post:
Old 06-11-2017, 10:38 PM   #28
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I was really impressed with Stanzi, he's extremely confident in the pocket, throws a nice accurate ball, and most of all has good awareness.

Williams has really impressed me a lot through training camp. He's got exceptional speed coming up the middle and he reads the holes well. We could use him as a change of pace back.

I'm just not sold on Nixon, I think he needs to find a way to show more in the next 6 days.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 06-12-2017, 02:51 PM   #29
MissTeeks
Franchise Player

Exp:

Boo!

Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory... lasts forever.
MissTeeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 04:27 PM   #30
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

^

Well, that sucks.
dash_pinched is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dash_pinched For This Useful Post:
Old 06-12-2017, 07:40 PM   #31
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

Daaaaaaamn...
Sainters7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 10:03 PM   #32
Da_Chief
Franchise Player

Exp:

At least there are lots of guys who can step in for Law, shouldn't miss a beat with Davis and then the other newcomers will rotate.

Scrimmage on Thursday after practise if anyone's interested then cutdown on Saturday.
Da_Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 08:44 PM   #33
OzSome
Franchise Player

Exp:

I guess Sindali still have 2-years eligibility so even if he doesn't make this season I feel that he'll be much better in the next few season. We have too many Canadian receivers right now anyways. I am sure about Lynch though. Does he have some eligibility. The guy looks good but I wouldn't mind it if he goes back to U of Regina for another season. Juwan Brescacin looks good and I always want to see him play more. He is big and fast.
Old 06-17-2017, 01:16 PM   #34
MissTeeks
Franchise Player

Exp:

Stamps cut Gale:

Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory... lasts forever.
MissTeeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 05:19 PM   #35
OzSome
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTeeks View Post
Stamps cut Gale:

Not surprise at all with Mitchell Gale's being cut. I actually called it after the last pre-season game against the Eskimos. For a guy who's been in a league for a few years with Argos and Riders, he played like someone who's never played the CFL ever. Slow to react and his decision making wasn't that good. Stanzi definitely beat him out of the 3rd string position.

I am a bit surprise with Ben D'Aguilar though. He's been a good special team player but I guess Stamps wanted someone who can play DL alot. D'Aguilar played some DL spot as well but not as much. Rwabukamba got beaten out by Thibault and Tundeke I guess.
Old 06-17-2017, 05:25 PM   #36
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

We really like D'Aguilar he'd appeared on our Radio Show and also showed up at our Tail Gate. But he might not have been versatile enough. There's always the question of salary as well, the guys like Gagnon who were competing for that job with him are making league minimum as later round draft picks while Ben is a 5 year vet. He will end up somewhere else.

Jamal Nixon had a lot of hype coming into training camp because of how he was on the practice roster. When we had Marquay on our show it was basically look out for this guy. But in his preseason snaps he dropped a lot of balls.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 05:44 PM   #37
Drake
Franchise Player

Exp:

Following players have been released, added to the PR, or returned to school.

Quote:
International receiver Reggie Begelton
International receiver A.J. Cruz
National defensive lineman Ben D’Aguilar
International offensive lineman Devonte Danzey
National offensive lineman Felix Gacusana
International quarterback Mitchell Gale
International running back Jacobi Green
International defensive lineman Kingsley Ibeh
International defensive back Tre Jones
International defensive lineman Jeff Luc
International offensive lineman Antoine McClain
International linebacker Evan McKelvey
International offensive lineman Mike McQueen
International receiver Jamal Nixon
International defensive back Joel Ross
National defensive back Chris Rwabukamba
International receiver Kevin Smith

Practice roster:
National defensive lineman Michael Kashak
National receiver Julan Lynch
International receiver Marken Michel
National running back Ante Milanovic-Litre
International offensive lineman Justin Renfrow
International defensive lineman Mike Rose
International defensive back Jordan Sefon
International defensive lineman James Vaughters
International running back Terry Williams

Returning to their university teams:
National defensive lineman Alexandre Gagnon (Université de Sherbrooke)
National defensive back Adam Laurensse (University of Calgary)
National receiver Richard Sindani (University of Calgary)
http://3downnation.com/2017/06/17/of...-cuts-tracker/

Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 05:52 PM   #38
OzSome
Franchise Player

Exp:

Stampeders makes roster moves

Offense:
Only Canadian player got cut on the offensive side which is OL Felix Gacusana. The rest of the released players are all Import players.
Offense:
R Reggie Begelton - he got injured during the pre-season vs BC. I am sure Stamps will give him another chance when he gets healthy.
R AJ Cruz, QB Mitchell Gale, R Kevin Smith, R Jamal Nixon, OL Devonte Danzey, OL Antoine McClain, OL Mike McQueen and RB Jacobi Green.

Defense:
National DL Ben D'Aguilar, National DB Chris Rwabukamba.
International: DL Kingsley Ibeh, DB Tre Jones, DL Jeff Luc, LB Evan McKelvey, DB Joel Ross.

-- Not surprise about Joel Ross as he was terrible against the Eskimos. Ibeh, Luc just couldn't unseat the veteran DLinemen. I would have love to see more of McKelvey though.I like Jacobi Green but Terry Williams totally beat him out of the position. Terry Williams didn't actually made the roster as he was put on Practice Roster.

Practice Roster:
Offense:
National R Julan Lynch and RB Ante Milanovic-Litre,
International: R Marken Michel, OL Justin Renfrow, RB Terry Williams

Defense:
National: DL Michael Kashak.
International: DL Mike Rose, DB Jordan Sefon, DL James Vaughters.

-- Terry Williams will defintely be in the lineup sometime this season. He looks good. Julan Lynch looks good too but to many Canadian receivers to beat.

The following players are returning to university:
R Richard Sindani and DB Adam Laurensse are both going back to University of Calgary. DL Alexandre Gagnoon is going back toUniversite de Sherbrooke.

-- Sindani is going to have a future with the Stamps. He is big, strong and fast.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OzSome For This Useful Post:
Old 06-18-2017, 04:30 PM   #39
calculoso
Franchise Player

Exp:

@SportsOn770: Veteran DB Brandon Smith listed as 'questionable' for season opener in Ottawa. Suffered a 'tweak' in drills last week

@SportsOn770: Number two quarterback for @calstampeders ? Local product @buckley_hot8 named for that post by coach Dickenson #yyc #cfl

@SportsOn770: .@calstampeders also name Ricky Stanzi as #3 QB behind @buckley_hot8 and @BoLeviMitchell
calculoso is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to calculoso For This Useful Post:
Old 06-26-2017, 11:07 AM   #40
Otto-matic
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://www.stampeders.com/2017/06/2...ch-suspension/

Quote:
Statement from Calgary Stampeders president and general manager John Hufnagel on the two-game suspension to team member Roy Finch announced earlier today:

The Calgary Stampeders were very disappointed to learn about Roy’s violation of the policy on drugs. We understand the medication taken by Roy was to treat a legitimate medical condition however, by failing to follow procedure and obtain a therapeutic-use exception, Roy is subject to this penalty. While I believe this was an honest mistake on Roy’s part, it was a mistake nevertheless and it’s important that he and all players learn from this episode.
Quote:
I made a mistake and I accept full responsibility. I want to make it clear that there was absolutely no intent on my part to cheat as I was taking the medication to treat attention-deficit disorder. At the same time, I know that I’m responsible for what goes into my body and I should have asked more questions. I apologize to the fans, the coaches and my teammates for the embarrassment I have caused.
Otto-matic is offline   Reply With Quote