Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-27-2016, 10:43 AM   #1
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Star Trek Movie Marathon in Calgary

3 Most recent Star Trek Movies.

Looks like it just got listed. Whole theatre open for now:

http://www.cineplex.com/Showtimes/st...Date=7/20/2016
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to chemgear For This Useful Post:
Old 06-27-2016, 11:15 AM   #2
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

meh the escalaters are out of order, I think they've been out of order since the release of Force Awakens.

Besides, I'm in no rush to see the new movie, especially after the last one was terrible. I'll wait for the rush to die down.

If it was an original showing of the 6 Kirk movies, you could probably talk me into going, except I'd take a nap during 5.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 11:20 AM   #3
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

If it was 2, 4 and 6 I would have been all over it.

Even if it was Nemesis, but I have to admit that in retrospect the last two feel like 'odd' movies. I have really high hopes for a Simon Pegg penned Beyond. Ever since Spaced it was clear that he really respects putting sci-fi elements into sci-fi.

Thank you for the heads up though. Any Trek news is welcome.
Old 06-27-2016, 11:24 AM   #4
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

These marathons don't do anything for me.

By the time you got the actual new movie that you wanted to see you'd be so sick of being in the theatre you wouldn't even enjoy it.

Landmark has tickets up for regular showings of just Beyond in IMAX 3D -- I bought tickets for Thursday night. Recent trailers have raised my hopes a bit!
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OutOfTheCube For This Useful Post:
Old 06-27-2016, 12:09 PM   #5
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Lime View Post
If it was 2, 4 and 6 I would have been all over it.

Even if it was Nemesis, but I have to admit that in retrospect the last two feel like 'odd' movies. I have really high hopes for a Simon Pegg penned Beyond. Ever since Spaced it was clear that he really respects putting sci-fi elements into sci-fi.

Thank you for the heads up though. Any Trek news is welcome.
Probably not the place, but I thought I'd pine in on my favorites of the Star Trek Movieverse

1) Star Trek TMP - I might be one of the rare few that really liked it. I thought it was a great plot idea with a probe returning to earth to find its maker after gaining sentience. It was like a child asking "Is this all there is". This was what Gene had always envisioned his Star Trek to be. The trouble with the movie was the pacing more then anything else. It was long at I think three hours, and a lot of that was due to scenes of kirk staring out the window thinking. Not a terrible movie, but little action or excitement to it. 6/10

2) Star Trek TWOK - Probably the best movie of any Star Trek movies. The biggest thing was the end of the sterile look of the first one. A lot more action then the last one, and RM chewed up the scenary as Kahn, like he did in Space Seed. This one had spoiler alert, the biggest and most devastating plot turn that there could be. The cast chemistry seemed to rebound from the first one as well, partly because this wasn't written by Gene. 9/10

3) The Search for Spock - This movie really gets a bad rap, but I think its a very solid entry. The movie had a great deal of humor and they basically let Deforest loose by letting him play Spock for a lot of the movie. Christopher Lloyd positively chewed the scenary in this movie as a Klingon as they returned more to being almost like pirates then warriors. I really loved this movie. the biggest moment was seeing the death of the Enteprise for me. 7-10

4) The Voyage Home - Really good movie with very little action, it returned to the basis of the first movie where the villain wasn't really a villain, it was a battle against technology that removed emotion and compassion from its formual. This movie was really a great ensemble picture as we really got to see Scotty, Checkov and Sulu do more then stand in the background and watch Spock and Kirk and McCoy banter. I love the fact that the ship wasn't the Enterprise because by the end when you saw the new Enterprise, your heart literally swelled. 9/10

5) The Final Frontier - It figures that Shatner would want to fight god, but nothing about this movie worked. The only scene that did work was when we saw a deeper part of Kirk where he declared that "He needed his pain" because it defined who he was. But this movie was a mess, the villain was stupid and so was the sub villain, a Klingon Captain that really wasn't good at his job. 3/10

6) The Undiscovered Country - One of the best trek movies because it explored the end of this crew. A great villain as Christopher Plumber was Lloyd like in chewing the scenery as a Shakespeare quoting Klingon Captain. A great battle scene near the end. And we finally got to see a Captain other then Kirk in action. I admit to guy tears in the closing scene as the Enterprise vanished into the sun with Kirk doing a final log recording. 8/10

7) Generations - a kind of bland affair and the last movie that was really an ensemble movie where the crew got a lot to do. The biggest failure to me was the writing was poor, and how do you take Malcolm McDowell who is always a great character guy (Doubt me, go watch his work in the wing commander series and also his cameo in In Good Company) the guy is made to be bad, and in interviews he relished killing off Kirk. But that's the problem, the premise was pretty weak, and the death of Kirk was really devoid of impact and emotion. It was ok, but not great. 6/10

8) First Contact - Probably the best of the TNG movies, and yet it fell flat for me, mainly because it started the trend of the Picard/Data show. Overall I hated that the Borg had a queen and though Alice Krige was good in the role, it really emasculated the Borg as a really frightening threat of a race overwhelmed by its technology to the point where its sole goal was perfection. You could see the Data betrayal of the queen from miles away.
The Cochrane stuff was ok, but could have been better. 5/10

9) Insurrection - Absolute garbage as a Trek Movie. They upped the Data/Picard show and everyone else wandered around looking like clueless idiots. the villains didn't work at all and were cardboard stock to me. Worf became the stupidest character yet from moaning about romulan ale to complaining about pimples. This was just terrible, it couldn't get worse could it. 1/10

10) Nemisis - Oh crap it came. This movie was complete dreck. They even took a solid actor and made a bad villain out of him in Tom Hardy. Instead of exploring Picards darker nature in him, they made him a rapist for no reason at all. On top of it the battle scenes were outright awful, but that's always been the failure of the Next Generation series, they couldn't capture the battles and make them tense, which is something that DS9 did exceptionally well. The logic of the thing was stupid, who puts a open conduit to your deadly radiation weapon on the bridge, besides the fact that it looked like a hyper lava lamp. the other thing that bugged me was that they made the villains ship so overpowering. It had like a 1000 phaser and photon torpedo tubes. Just a dumb movie, and thankfully ended a really poor run of TNG movies. Oh and then the whole stupid lets see if we can up the emotion of the Spock death by killing Data, but he's not really dead because the lamely named B4 has his memories. 1/10

11) Star Trek - Another reboot where they re kicked everything off by having a mix of 90210 and Star Trek. It kind of worked because they changed the time line, and they had a decent ensemble casting and interaction. Quinto was the best of the bunch in terms of playing Spock, and Pine was passible as Kirk. To me the plot line lacked logic. Nero manages to go back in time and capture the Red Matter device, but instead of simply going home shooting it into the Star to prevent the destruction of his home world then beaming down and having that good sex with his wife. He decides to destroy the Federation. Like I said it made little sense. They had a really good opportunity to build a sympathetic character, which Nero could have been, but instead made him a murderous pyscho. 6/10

12) Into Darkness - Just wasn't very good because nobody can play Kahn like RM, BC tried, but he lacked the hot bloodedness to go with the intellect that Kahn had in Space Seed and TWOK. The cast was slightly off as most of the humerous banter seemed very forced. Then they killed kirk instead of Spock, except not really. Just not a terrific entry. 4/10

The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 06-27-2016, 12:23 PM   #6
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

I'm not really pumped for Beyond. It's a shame but after 12 of them, you get a gut feeling about what kind of movie it's going to be. It's feeling Insurrectiony. Into Darkness really ruined this reboot franchise for me.

CC, I thought your list was in order of best to worst and was confused about how it was perfectly chronological lol
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hack&Lube For This Useful Post:
Old 06-27-2016, 12:31 PM   #7
Violator
On Hiatus

Exp:

In Imax that would be pretty decent as long as they don't play that awful Star Trek versus the whales movie it wouldn't be that bad.
Violator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 12:42 PM   #8
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

whales, there be whales here......
Old 06-27-2016, 01:07 PM   #9
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
meh the escalaters are out of order, I think they've been out of order since the release of Force Awakens.
Totally read this in comic book guy's voice.

"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 04:30 PM   #10
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
Totally read this in comic book guy's voice.

I totally wrote it in that voice.